Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Revenge on Mark Jacobs-Count of MMORPGCrisco Style

TimothyTierlessTimothyTierless ColumnistM, ORPosts: 2,163Member Uncommon

I have been waiting for years, my plan is inches away form succession.

I have a sneaking suspiscion that MJ will play a Veil Walker, well, I shall not only Bounty Hunt him with my Veil Stalker, I shall take his soul, burn his corpse, forge a weapons with his soul, then use that weapon to smash his walls before I burn the ruins of his house to the ground all the while screaming THIS IS FOR WARHAMMER! Why? Because he made game that allowed me to!

Once I grief him into quitting his own game I shall retire to my Inn where I'll have an NPC slave that I use to clean the toilets, that NPC shall be named Baul Parnett!

Moohahahhaahah!

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    It's Monte cristo

You made it sound like a make of routers
  • HatefullHatefull Posts: 770Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    It's Monte cristo

You made it sound like a make of routers

or cooking lard...which is just a bit more disturbing.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

• AlienamiAlienami Key Largo, FLPosts: 5Member
    I still hope I'll get to make my living/money as a Bounty Hunter...but we'll see. Going to love this game regardless. Tired of all these crappy MMOs with bad RVR/PVP.
  • TimothyTierlessTimothyTierless Columnist M, ORPosts: 2,163Member Uncommon

I disagree, Cisco and Crystal light have nothing on Crisco

• GyrusGyrus Lost City of ZPosts: 2,335Member
    Originally posted by Alienami
    ... Going to love this game regardless. Tired of all these crappy MMOs with bad RVR/PVP.

Okay... here's a couple of questions for you:

First one (easy): What is wrong with all the current MMOs which offer RvR / PvP?  Please list a few you have played and say what is wrong with them.  Please be specific (no "they suxxor" please).

Second question (harder): Please say how CU will address the problems listed above and make RvR/PvP 'better'?  And just a small point here - if your answer is simply "Tri-Realm" could you please say why and how that actually helps?  That may seem unfair - but I have a feeling I know how these answers will go...

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• bcbullybcbully Westland, MIPosts: 8,260Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Tierless

I have been waiting for years, my plan is inches away form succession.

I have a sneaking suspiscion that MJ will play a Veil Walker, well, I shall not only Bounty Hunt him with my Veil Stalker, I shall take his soul, burn his corpse, forge a weapons with his soul, then use that weapon to smash his walls before I burn the ruins of his house to the ground all the while screaming THIS IS FOR WARHAMMER! Why? Because he made game that allowed me to!

Once I grief him into quitting his own game I shall retire to my Inn where I'll have an NPC slave that I use to clean the toilets, that NPC shall be named Baul Parnett!

Moohahahhaahah!

This is beautiful /tear. Gl to you homie.

Originally posted by Gyrus
    ... Going to love this game regardless. Tired of all these crappy MMOs with bad RVR/PVP.

First one (easy): What is wrong with all the current MMOs which offer RvR / PvP?  Please list a few you have played and say what is wrong with them.  Please be specific (no "they suxxor" please).

Second question (harder): Please say how CU will address the problems listed above and make RvR/PvP 'better'?  And just a small point here - if your answer is simply "Tri-Realm" could you please say why and how that actually helps?  That may seem unfair - but I have a feeling I know how these answers will go...

Mmm.. oookay...

I've played them all.. Guild Wars 2, Warhammer Online, Age of Conan, Mortal Online, Darkfall Online, Aion, RIFT, TERA, SWTOR, etc...

Its quite silly to go into any depth, especially considering the sheer volume of games I've played...they all failed where DAoC did well. And don't give me flak, you're all but asking for a thesis on why each and every one of those games sucked. I don't even need to explain why those games failed. They did, at least for what I and others desire.

I don't need to explain this either, MJ has the founding principals outlined and there are wikis containing his answers to such questions.

But, you've already made your mind up...so it doesn't matter what I say. So, keep buying those $60 trash MMOs or hop on the next F2P bandwagon...and let me know how good the RVR is, if they even have it. 

I'll humor you a bit and give some real answers, just in case someone not trying to troll is interested:

RVR, where you build the entire world... are able to salvage enemy buildings or destroy them.. Minecraft + RVR, need I f'n say more?

Also, with a goal of 500 to 1000 actual players in battles, again... why haven't you donated yet?

Horizontal instead of vertical progression...no more 1 shotting newbs, RVR will stay competitive much better than in other games.

Oh, and listening to players on what WE want in OUR game WE funded... we are the publishers for once/no publishers to screw the game and force WoW Clones down our throat...again, why are you still reading this and not donating this very second?

• ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    Of the games you listed only war, aion and gw2 have rvr.

And its debatable if they have "true rvr" with two factions and wow style wtfpwn gear in the case of war and aion and fighting different random nameless dudes every 2 weeks with no effect on pve in the case of gw2.
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Of the games you listed only war, aion and gw2 have rvr.

And its debatable if they have "true rvr" with two factions and wow style wtfpwn gear in the case of war and aion and fighting different random nameless dudes every 2 weeks with no effect on pve in the case of gw2.

Age of Conan had siege warfare. So does Mortal Online and Darkfall Online. Siege warfare is the main goal, doesn't matter to me if its true RVR, I played DAoC on the Free For All server, Mordred.

Also, you kind of proved my point in your reply, actually... lol

Going to bed, been up all night and I have work tonight. Check the game out, its your job to educate yourself on it, no one else can do it for you..they can try, but learning is something people have to take upon themselves.

Originally posted by Alienami ... Going to love this game regardless. Tired of all these crappy MMOs with bad RVR/PVP.

Good questions, thanks for keeping it legit. My main issue with the mmos of late (and I tried them all) no real consequence or sense of victory or impact on the game world through PVP. In CU I can build and expand my territory, conquer, loot, or burn down my enemies stuff, and it will change the game world every time we do.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk LiverpoolPosts: 976Member Uncommon

Baul Parnett, classic!

You made me spit coke on my keyb you bastard! I nearly choked I was laughing so hard.

Edited some of my replies, See ya guys.
  • GyrusGyrus Lost City of ZPosts: 2,335Member

But, you've already made your mind up...so it doesn't matter what I say. So, keep buying those $60 trash MMOs or hop on the next F2P bandwagon...and let me know how good the RVR is, if they even have it. 

I'll humor you a bit and give some real answers, just in case someone not trying to troll is interested:

RVR, where you build the entire world... are able to salvage enemy buildings or destroy them.. Minecraft + RVR, need I f'n say more?

Also, with a goal of 500 to 1000 actual players in battles, again... why haven't you donated yet?

Horizontal instead of vertical progression...no more 1 shotting newbs, RVR will stay competitive much better than in other games.

Oh, and listening to players on what WE want in OUR game WE funded... we are the publishers for once/no publishers to screw the game and force WoW Clones down our throat...again, why are you still reading this and not donating this very second?

Actually, it's you who is making big assumptions there... I actually played WWIIoL for years.  (Haven't for the last few months but only because RL got in the way - reinstalled two days ago.)

So that would be full PvP/RvR with no PvE OR crafting.  Full world and it had hundreds in battles that went on for hours or even days.

You could "1 shot newbs" - but they could 1 shot you too. 

But... it had issues... most notibly population imbalance.

And since then I have tried other RvR games... enough to see that I don't see any really new solution being offered here?

Edit: @Tierless: WWIIoL offer s/ed that too.  Each town captured had to be recaptured or remained in enemy hands.

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• Delavega86Delavega86 adhkulPosts: 112Member

an inn?

wasnt that the 10k price?

are you single? :P

• SBE1SBE1 New York, NYPosts: 335Member

Age of Conan had siege warfare. So does Mortal Online and Darkfall Online. Siege warfare is the main goal, doesn't matter to me if its true RVR, I played DAoC on the Free For All server, Mordred.

Age of Conan had "who can bring more people to the seige location first and lockout the opposing force" warfare.   All you had to do was get enough people in the zone first and the other side couldn't get in to defend/attack.  Yeah, that was great warfare design.  Wish all PvP could be designed with this amazing system.

Originally posted by EL_Sirios
    an inn?

wasnt that the 10k price?

are you single? :P

I dont have an Inn, I will take one!

FYI 72 hours away from me going back to normal mode. I thank all of the people that tolerated TIerless turned up to lvl 10 for the last month. To those that decided to do some forum PVP with me, I thank you too, for keeping it entertaining and keeping me honest.

• GaladhonGaladhon Mobile, ALPosts: 6Member
    Tri-Realm RvR helps with population imbalance issues.  If one realm gets too powerful, the other 2  work together to take them down.  At least that was my experience in DAoC.

I love how people miss the entire point of what I was saying to engage in Straw Men and Red Herring fallacies.

TL;DR? "There is no new generation of RVR or PVP MMORPG that in my mind doesn't suck... so this is why I am backing Camelot Unchained"

Was WW2 Online good? No idea, I didn't play it, sorry, I wish I would have played it and Ultima Online, but thats back when I was just into FPS games only, so I missed out on them. I never even heard of WW2 Online until many years after its launch.

Was Age of Conan an example of what I want in Camelot Unchained? NO, that was my entire point.

• HorafHoraf Rougemont, NCPosts: 15Member

WWIIOL is a great game, I played it for many years.  I still often go back to it for three month clips.  Its not really a mmoRPG, more likre a mmoFPS.  Its still a great game, persistent world, realistic equipment and physics, not alot of handholding by the Devs.

But it still lacks the community of a online ROLE playing game.

!s

• FusionFusion VaasaPosts: 1,391Member Uncommon

I'll just leave this here:

You'll never again experience the same sensation you did with your first MMO-love.

Thus every MMO since has something 'lacking', so will CU (if it ever even releases)

Currently playing: -

Waiting for: Class4.

Dead and Buried: ESO, NWO, GW2, SWTOR, Darkfall, AO, AC2, Vanguard, CoH/V, EnB, EVE, Neocron, FE, EQ, EQ2, DAoC, FFXI, FFXIV, SWG, WoW, and billions of eastern junks!

Originally posted by Fusion
    I'll just leave this here: You'll never again experience the same sensation you did with your first MMO-love.Thus every MMO since has something 'lacking', so will CU (if it ever even releases)

I agree, and I'll also never again have the experience I just had over the last month. I had no idea it would change so many things, that I would meet so many people, and that I would have such a good time with them on the KS comments section. Really unique and memorable experience so far. Glad I was a part of it.

• LongLivePvPLongLivePvP LA, CAPosts: 102Member
    What if this game doesnt get the 2mil? Will it still go through development? I havent been following the kickstarter and updates much.

Playing: Darkfall Unholy Wars & ArcheAge(Alpha)
    Backed: Shards Online, Camelot Unchained
    Loved: Vanilla WoW,UO,Shadowbane,EQ,DAoC,Asheron's Call(Darktide)

• SabasSabas herzelePosts: 197Member

You'll never again experience the same sensation you did with your first MMO-love.

Thus every MMO since has something 'lacking', so will CU (if it ever even releases)

I have heard this so many times and its still a load of bull.

Why do we not experience this in other genre's?

If an MMO can not invoke that sense of being a newby lost in a new world then the MMO just hasn't been designed very well.

Were the recent MMO's well designed virtual worlds, I think not.

Yet again faulting the player where in most cases it boils down to bad gamedesign.

MMO's the genre where you are not allowed to have any expectations concerning qaulity, value or customer service.

• BeggarKingBeggarKing BirminghamPosts: 15Member

I shall attempt to broadly answer what is a difficult question to answer, it's like asking why do you always remember your first love even if she was an ugly dog lol ;). Okay for those of us that are backing CU there is without doubt a BIG rose tinted memory lane thing going on, anybody who says otherwise is probably lying to themselves. Tri realm RvR does create a very interesting balance if power in a game. In daoc Albion was the dominant force on most realms but that didn't mean that Midgard and Hibernia couldn't compete, there were numerous times I remember running in raid sized grps only to be met by larger Albion packs. As we clashed hibs would appear from over a hill because they'd had a stealther tracking the albs and he/she had reported back that the albs flanks were now exposed, once the albs were dealt with we would then clash with the hibs OR both packs would gesture with /hug or /kiss emotes and both grps would go their seperate ways. If your guild took a keep it didn't then just abandon it you stayed and defended it down to the last player in necessary, but in the few games with big scale pvp RvR games it seems like once you've grabbed a keep u then dump it and move on and it ends up being a pointless task just yoyoing from keep to keep, there's no pride no guild grit determined to hold onto the keep you've built up. Play space, now I HATE these annoying, small, walled off, line up to get in, battlegrounds. Since when has war got a stop clock on it to determine the winner? In daoc and from the looks of it CU as well you could get yourself lost in what felt like an un ending play space. You had to learn your world, learn the best choke points, learn where stealthers would often lurk. You can't just die,respawn and be back in the fight in 10 seconds in CU, death has a reason and you can't just throw yourself at things knowing you can be back in seconds.

ive got no idea if that's answered anything, but I tried lol

• VyntVynt Glendale, CAPosts: 632Member Uncommon

As others have stated, such a bs stance.

My first mmo, eh, was ok. (meridian 59)

2nd, liked it ok, but didn't play much. (UO)

My 3rd, EQ, absolutely loved it. Spent years in that game.

Tried AC next, liked it ok

Next was DAOC, loved it, tied as favorite all time with EQ.

Many MMOs later, a few I enjoyed, played WoW and loved that too for a while., especially vanilla.

SO had 3 MMOs that I had that incredible feeling (more really, just less play time), and able to play for a long time, and none of them were my first. 3,5, and like 30th, lol. Also a few others that I enjoyed greatly that I played for several months+.

The lacking part is due to the MMOs actually lacking in many areas!

Would love to be able to play one for just 6 months, heck I rarely make it through the first month anymore.

I can still go back to EQ and play that months at a time, and I have, but would really like something newer. Also it is a bit different now, but still fun.

Daoc, well I just can't deal with the movement anymore. I was still playing until they got rid of classic. Too many changes to put up with detriments of the game.

And WoW, while I can still have fun in it. it is not long lasting, just not the same game, was never the same for me after tbc.