Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] Neverwinter: Open Beta Diary #1

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Neverwinter has entered the "soft launch" and is primed and ready to go for our open beta diary series. We'll be spending the next several weeks playing and reporting on Neverwinter and any changes incoming with the arrival of the open beta. Check out today's installment before heading to the comments to discuss your experiences.

All of the above is pretty standard stuff for MMOs these days but where Neverwinter really shines is in the vast number of options for customizing a character’s look. While the faces and hairstyles initially sort of fall into the “meh” category, simply clicking customize opens up such wide ranging choices as finger length, body size, whether or not boots have heels and much, much more. Finding just the right look can take players a good long while, something that D&D players are well familiar with and will appreciate.

Read more of Suzie Ford's Neverwinter Open Beta Diary #1.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• david361107david361107 Member UncommonPosts: 279

first :)

good read, i can't wait unit tomorrow when i start this adventure.

Peace

Lascer

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    How does one do a Neverwinter review... even an intro one, without mentioning the combat?  That's like the meat and potatoes best feature of this game, and you completely ignored it.
  • marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912
    Originally posted by Draemos
    How does one do a Neverwinter review... even an intro one, without mentioning the combat?  That's like the meat and potatoes best feature of this game, and you completely ignored it.

Good point. Maybe it's in the 2nd review.

• shin_chanshin_chan Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Is there really any rules of D&D or name is used only to attract more public?
  • kaltahnkaltahn Member Posts: 31
    They've already mentioned that they plan on releasing Drow (not the special, founder's only Menzo-Drow but a lesser version of Drow) for official launch, so the "coming soon" race isn't really a mystery.
  • MaakuMaaku Member Posts: 90
    Well, after reading this I'd love to try but again, Perfect World are asses and block Asia and proxies, so, I can't. At all! (Who the FUCK blocks proxies!!???). Let me know hoe it turns out guys!

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by Draemos

It's a review in progress, over four stages plus a final review.  Believe me, we'll get to it.  ;)

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494
    To those who are looking for the most great rpg  i have ever played yet try dragons dogma dark arisen.The game is sick.

• EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Im hoping too get too play this game tomorrow, Servers will lag like crazy on tuesday because of so much traffic.
  • BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Sounds tame enough to give it a look even though the pricing spoils the game somewhat. Whatever happened to just good old buy the game and play it
  • TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435
    Originally posted by shin_chan

There is... and there isn't. To my understanding the rules of the game is based on  the DnD NEXT if that is something you are familuar with. Obviously the lore and setting are DnD associated as are the classes etc. 

Of course, if you are an avid DM or Player then you might be a 'little' put off as you need to understand the basis of an MMO is present. Especially the kind you might find associated with Perfect World. However, the game is fun and their are lots of nods to the world and setting you might be familuar with. 

Plus, with the foundry you can actually make your own content. So, if you like to be a DM you can make your own scenario for others to enjoy and to enjoy yourself. 

• kaltahnkaltahn Member Posts: 31
    Originally posted by KingofHartz
    Sounds tame enough to give it a look even though the pricing spoils the game somewhat. Whatever happened to just good old buy the game and play it

Some people got sick of paying for promises that some of the game companies couldn't keep.

It was messy.  

There were no survivors.

• yalbnyalbn Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Might be a silly question but is Neverwinter a completely F2P game or do we need to purchase it after open beta is over?  
  • KtaraKtara Member Posts: 37
    Originally posted by kaltahn
    They've already mentioned that they plan on releasing Drow (not the special, founder's only Menzo-Drow but a lesser version of Drow) for official launch, so the "coming soon" race isn't really a mystery.

I thought this was coming 60 days after launch?

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by Tsumoro

There is... and there isn't. To my understanding the rules of the game is based on  the DnD NEXT if that is something you are familuar with. Obviously the lore and setting are DnD associated as are the classes etc. 

Of course, if you are an avid DM or Player then you might be a 'little' put off as you need to understand the basis of an MMO is present. Especially the kind you might find associated with Perfect World. However, the game is fun and their are lots of nods to the world and setting you might be familuar with. 

Plus, with the foundry you can actually make your own content. So, if you like to be a DM you can make your own scenario for others to enjoy and to enjoy yourself. 

Interesting about the D&D Next comment.

My impression from betas is that Neverwinter is just an IP sales game with a D&D skin in regards to comparing it to D&D.  All the powers don't even resemble what it is in the books just the name, feats are completely discarded and replaces with the ohhh so original talent tree system that is standard in themepark MMO, corridor world feel like in SWTOR, and various other aspects.  I compare Neverwinter to SWTOR in that they are largely relying on the IP to carry a lot of sales as I see a lot of discrepencies in the mechanics of the came if one is comparing to D&D mechanics to the point that I wouldn't even call this a D&D game unless on considers Demonstone or Baulders Gate Dark Alliance a D&D game.

I disagree with the DM remark.  The foundry is a module tool not a DM tool.  As I've said in numerous threads, Cryptic really missed the mark when they decided to not enable players to host DM events or creat Persistent Worlds like in the NWN 1&2 which is what carried the game through many years, NOT the modules.

One thing Cryptic should really have taken note of in DDO though is quest packs.  There is no story feel to Neverwinter that makes one immersed, or at least there is no depth to it and feels very shallow.  In DDO I felt the story in the quest series.  Delera's Tomb, Abbot, Necro 1, 2, & 3, Harbringer of Madness, Shadowdusk Isles... all these and more I felt a very distinct and in dept story.  Something very lacking in Neverwinter at least up to Helm's Hold.  While I don't expect a lot of quest series, what I do expect is a decent amount of quest series to explore the world with and not be lead on a linear path of leveling.

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by yalbn
    Might be a silly question but is Neverwinter a completely F2P game or do we need to purchase it after open beta is over?  

100% content free and that applies to future Cryptic Content and classes.

Now bout everything else has either a Zen or and AD price tag .

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    Originally posted by yalbn

It's F2P. No need to buy a box or such a thing. Of course there is a cash shop. I don't know how much you are "forced" to buy things there.

And welcome to MMORPG. ;)

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by kaltahn

Actually, there is a mystery.  Aside from the Drow, Cryptic has stated that they are going to be adding new races.  Datamining has already showed the Dragonborn and Eldarin, and there are numerous other races that can be added, like Genasi, Warforged, etc.  Of course, the Eldarin and Dragonborn are no mystery, but whatever they add afterwards is.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• health001health001 Member UncommonPosts: 58
    the only issue i have is that rezz scrolls ( only way to rezz in game,and no clerics dont get rezz O_o ) are only found in the cash shop....................
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

F2P why not try it?

Looking forward to reading the rest of the review bits and experiencing the game myself.

Well done.

• gr0und3dgr0und3d Member Posts: 113
    Originally posted by health001
    the only issue i have is that rezz scrolls ( only way to rezz in game,and no clerics dont get rezz O_o ) are only found in the cash shop....................

Whoa, you mean the only way to res in battle with no penatly is the res scrolls..... Otherwise you 'release' and get put back at the nearest unlocked campfire.

• kevinsalkevinsal Member Posts: 27

This game is amazing.  From an avid MMO fan, I like it a lot more than GW2.  More going on and the combat is fast paced and clean.

I foresee this game getting popular really fast.  Genius purchase model, the early head start has been very beneficial.

See you all in game!

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    Anyone can click and rez a down member in combat. The rez scrolls are self rez and group rez if everyone died.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Its fully based on 4th edition D&D rules... actually almost 1 on 1, except for the hit rolls.

But then many old time roletime players loath the 4th edition rules as they take away much of the freedom that many pnp players love so much..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532

What killed the game for me after a couple beta weekends was the healing.

-It was bad enough trying to target the desired heal target in a scrum around the mobs, took skill and patience. BUT the heals were reduced to pathetically tiny compared to what mobs were hitting for damage. Which they explained as because Clerics were having too much gold.

-Now all players will be pretty much required to visit the cash shop for their primary heal source. Buy that stone with a couple hundred uses of complete heal, or rely on the Cleric that can only heal for half of what the mob hits for? IF their heal even hits.