Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

will be any game soon successfully like wow?

davc123davc123 Member UncommonPosts: 458

i want see   game successfully  like wow  whit great combat style and  open world pvp +pve ...

i think i wrong post this must be at

The Pub at MMORPG.COM

Comments

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by davc123
    i want see   game successfully  like wow  whit great combat style and  open world pvp +pve ...

Possible, but unlikely.  Blizzards World of Warcraft was what is known as a "perfect storm".  It hit at just the right time, with the right content, the right marketing, and the right reputation.  I seriously doubt we will see that again, any time soon.  Especially with how fragmented the gaming audience is becoming.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

you could try some asian grinders.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• ZedTheRockZedTheRock Member UncommonPosts: 175

WoW was an anomoly and it isn't a very good game.  In fact if WoW was re-released tomorrow with a different name but kept the same core design it would fail.  Proof is the last 3-4 WoW clones if you don't believe me.

Whether a game will ever compete with WoW is a big NO.  Because of its anomolous beginings WoW wil lalways remain WoW.  Other games will do good to make their own game and try to draw players from elsewhere to try it out.  My money is on TESO.

SUP

• davc123davc123 Member UncommonPosts: 458
    Originally posted by ZedTheRock

WoW was an anomoly and it isn't a very good game.  In fact if WoW was re-released tomorrow with a different name but kept the same core design it would fail.  Proof is the last 3-4 WoW clones if you don't believe me.

Whether a game will ever compete with WoW is a big NO.  Because of its anomolous beginings WoW wil lalways remain WoW.  Other games will do good to make their own game and try to draw players from elsewhere to try it out.  My money is on TESO.

i dont say i want same game as wow  because i dont like wow never played but i want  successful like wow 

a lot of games is boring  after max lvl

i want game for long time dont want change  game every 3-5monts -.-

all " good  " games failed gw2 /swtor /tera /rift...

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

i dont say i want same game as wow  because i dont like wow never played but i want  successful like wow 

a lot of games is boring  after max lvl

i want game for long time dont want change  game every 3-5monts -.-

all " good  " games failed gw2 /swtor /tera /rift...

Well... Good luck with that.   I seriously doubt we are going to see much difference in the typical format for years.  These games are simply too expensive to create, for those with the money to allow major risks to be taken.  But without those risks, games will likely remain in the standard format for years.  One possibility might be the Kickstarter games, but given development times, its going to be several years before the big name ones are even available.

A lot of people seem to focus on games coming out of Asia, but their suits follow pretty much the same business rules, and are just as risk adverse, as those in the west.  Which explains much of what wev've seen from that area for the last few years.  I wish this wasn't the case, but that appears to be our current situation.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Too many mmos are "successfully like wow"
  • furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

Not a good game and yet typically evey MMOer has player WoW for at least more than a year and how it's the only MMO that has maintained subs in the millions or how they have the largest conventions and whole bunch of other stuff.

The hate on WoW never gets old, but the fact is that WoW is a great MMO.  Problem is people got tired of the game which is what naturally happens as people move on but they continually hate on WoW most likely because WoW spoiled them.

One of the reasons why other games fail is that they lack many of the features that WoW possesses.  They are like a 1/2 or 3/4 of WoW.  Sure they bring some new stuff to the table but far and wide they are missing a lot of features.

If Blizzard did a WoW reboot like ANet did with GW2 I'd guarantee that droves of customers will flock to the title, even those that piss on WoW's name, in the numbers of which would put GW2 numbers to shame I'd wager.

But yes WoW is an anomoly and its success won't be seen again, unless they make a WoW reboot whose reception is comparable to GW2.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by furbans

Not a good game and yet typically evey MMOer has player WoW for at least more than a year and how it's the only MMO that has maintained subs in the millions or how they have the largest conventions and whole bunch of other stuff.

The hate on WoW never gets old, but the fact is that WoW is a great MMO.  Problem is people got tired of the game which is what naturally happens as people move on but they continually hate on WoW most likely because WoW spoiled them.

One of the reasons why other games fail is that they lack many of the features that WoW possesses.  They are like a 1/2 or 3/4 of WoW.  Sure they bring some new stuff to the table but far and wide they are missing a lot of features.

If Blizzard did a WoW reboot like ANet did with GW2 I'd guarantee that droves of customers will flock to the title, even those that piss on WoW's name, in the numbers of which would put GW2 numbers to shame I'd wager.

But yes WoW is an anomoly and its success won't be seen again, unless they make a WoW reboot whose reception is comparable to GW2.

I am an MMO'er and only played WoW in BETA and not after - did not like it.

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Too many mmos are "successfully like wow"

which ??

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

Right time, right place, right "pre-existing userbase", right "established reputation as developers".

An anomoly as other posters have said, could another such confluence of circumstances happem? of course, but don't expect it anytime soon & certainly not in the present economic climate.

• hell_fire_69hell_fire_69 Member Posts: 129

There are many games out there that try to compete and change around the formula a little bit and were successful such as Guild Wars 2 and Swtor but never kept a mass community as WoW.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

define 'success'.

Financially or population-healthy or other?

financially- probably no mmo anytime soon, because WOW was a fluke, came at the right time for casual arcade MMO players who wanted a easy-to-get-into game.

population healthy- there are games out there 8y and older that are financially stable, woth growing populations and adding content regularly like it's a new game.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953
    WoW was a perfect storm scenario unlikely to re-occur simply due to the fact that many of the contributing conditions no longer exist. is there is a lit of choice for MMO fans now that there was not back then, most modern MMO's are as accesible as WOW if not moreso, back then most MMO 's were not. Etc
  • pmilespmiles Member Posts: 383

WoW isn't a success story anymore... it's an example of the sad state of gaming these days.  Having subscribers doesn't mean the game is a success... it just means there's nothing better out there atm.

Success is when you run home from work to log in to play and stay logged in until the wee hours of the night without even realizing it.  Success is not logging in because you are bored and have nothing better to do.  Let's see, paint the house or do dailies? I think I will do dailies.

You don't want WoW's "success"... you want a game that you will sell your left kidney to play each and every day no matter what the costs.  There aren't any games out there like that anymore.  If same-old same old is considered a success... then I want no part of it.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

The Pub at MMORPG.COM

I doubt it.  The market is too fragmented for a new game to capture the knds of box sales and sub's that WoW got.  Wow was the right combination of timing, polish, gameplay and marketing that I just don't see anything repeating.

It's like asking if we could ever get anouther music player as popular as the first ipod or smart phone as popular as the first Iphone.  Those items where as much about filling a missing market need as anything else.  Now that the market is saturated with them it just isn't possible to repeat it.  

That's not to say a game can't be wildly successful just not on the same level as WoW.  I think developers are starting to get that and moving away from the trying to beat WoW at it's own game which is a good thing.

• Beyond_EterniaBeyond_Eternia Member UncommonPosts: 102

GW2 is the only game that comes close. IMO

After max leveling all but elementalist and mesmer. I took a month off. Now I am back on and enjoying it once again. Mesmer is a fun class. :)

Time you enjoy wasting...is not wasted time
  • BoardwalkerBoardwalker Member UncommonPosts: 388

Will another MMORPG ever be as successful as WoW was (and is)? Probably not, for all the reasons stated above. But that isn't 100% for sure. You never know.

The best thing about this thread is reading posts by WoW haters. Their tears are delicious. I don't play WoW anymore, but I recognize that it is a very good game and is still quite popular. These haters just make themselves look foolish.

They can adjust a game all day, but they can't help the issue between the keyboard and the chair.
    Played: UO, DAoC, AC, WoW, EVE, TR, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, TSW, ESO, Elite:D
    Play EVE for free for 21 days

• Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697
    No MMO will ever be as popular as WoW because you can play it on an Etch-a-Sketch, which means mommy and daddy do not have to buy junior a new rig just to increase graphics for other games.

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

Originally posted by hell_fire_69

There are many games out there that try to compete and change around the formula a little bit and were successful such as Guild Wars 2 and Swtor but never kept a mass community as WoW.

stwor failed thats why goes  f2p and gw2 not long  time successful maybe 5months max   

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by Skullagrim

GW2 is the only game that comes close. IMO

After max leveling all but elementalist and mesmer. I took a month off. Now I am back on and enjoying it once again. Mesmer is a fun class. :)

GW2 isn't even in the same ballpark. The population of GW2 did not continue to grow. WoW's did.

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

There's no denying that vanilla was a very good MMO. Sadly I think WoW lost a little bit of it's magic with each expansion and it's not the game it used to be. All the things they originally promised to remove from the boring old grindy MMO's made their way back in. Things like faction grinding.

They made an MMO based on a very popular IP, it was very polished, it worked on crappy systems without looking terrible and they provided an easily accessible, quest driven experience that hadn't been seen before.

The problem is everyone tried to copy them and didn't do as good a job. For any MMO to have half a chance to get anywhere close to WoW's level of success it needs to be a new kind of beast. It needs to push the genre forward in a way we haven't seen done before. So far everyone has just copied the WoW formula and until someone with the balls to try something new comes along we're never going to see that level of success again.

• BrimstohnBrimstohn Member UncommonPosts: 2

So from what you're saying, a "successful game" will have a population that doesn't peak then reduce and you think WoW's population never peaked then reduced.

First, I'd wager that WoW has had a higher population in the past than it does now. As many people have said, they "used" to play WoW but they don't any more.  There are still many subscribers, but they are not at their peak, meaning they have reduced population.

Second, that is virtually impossible in today's market for much the same reason you want a new game.  New games have the best populations within the first three to six months after they come out.  Everyone gets to max level, then something else comes out and they switch unless there are characteristics of the game they really enjoy.  It's an example of our attention deficit society that no game will maintain a high rate of players for more than six months (maybe a year) until a newer, shinier, prettier game comes out.  Same reason few people would carry an original iPhone anymore.

So congratulations, you are part of the problem which you want to resolve.  By switching games every time a new game comes out and trying it, then switching again when the next game comes out, you are propigating the population reduction which you want to see stopped.  If you want the experience of WoW, play WoW.  If you want the experience of playing a game and getting involved in the community, pick one and stick with it  for more than 6 months.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    Originally posted by Brimstohn

So from what you're saying, a "successful game" will have a population that doesn't peak then reduce and you think WoW's population never peaked then reduced.

First, I'd wager that WoW has had a higher population in the past than it does now. As many people have said, they "used" to play WoW but they don't any more.  There are still many subscribers, but they are not at their peak, meaning they have reduced population.

Second, that is virtually impossible in today's market for much the same reason you want a new game.  New games have the best populations within the first three to six months after they come out.  Everyone gets to max level, then something else comes out and they switch unless there are characteristics of the game they really enjoy.  It's an example of our attention deficit society that no game will maintain a high rate of players for more than six months (maybe a year) until a newer, shinier, prettier game comes out.  Same reason few people would carry an original iPhone anymore.

So congratulations, you are part of the problem which you want to resolve.  By switching games every time a new game comes out and trying it, then switching again when the next game comes out, you are propigating the population reduction which you want to see stopped.  If you want the experience of WoW, play WoW.  If you want the experience of playing a game and getting involved in the community, pick one and stick with it  for more than 6 months.

First, I agree with you completely but even with a reduced population WoW still beats the competition with more than double the numbers.

Second, again I agree. There are so many MMO's to choose from now compared to back in 2004, when we had maybe 10 decent ones to pick from. And it's kind of hard to keep players logging into your game when they hit the level cap in a week and burn through the "end game" content in a month. Maybe if devs spent more time developing a challenging, fun game that was capable of engaging the playerbase and keeping them busy for more than 6 weeks, rather than trying to hype them and making a quick cash grab we'd see some player loyalty.

I'm not sure the playerbase is 100% to blame. If the devs don't provide the great game experience the players are looking for they have to accept some of the blame for players leaving. For example:

AoC, very buggy at release and then content dried up in the low 50's leaving you facing some 30 levels of grind in a bug ridden game. I lasted 2 months.

WAR, laughably imbalanced classes and design faults made PvP and the RvR a waste of time, due to Keep flipping and the abundance of Bright Wizards. That's both players and devs to blame. Again 2 months and quit.

SWG, caving in to whiners and introducing holo grinding causing all the best crafters to vanish over night, removing the perma death for Jedi (a critical population control in a time when there should only be 4 in the galaxy), the CU and the final nail in the coffin the NGE.

SWTOR, yeah. Say no more. 6 weeks and I left in disgust.

OTOH, EQ 6 years. DAoC from release until ToA broke it. EVE since release, still playing. WoW from release until mid Cata when I saw the proposed new talents and couldn't bear seeing the game made any dumber.

So yeah. It's not always down to the players. I think the devs have to hold their hands up sometimes and just admit they fucked up.

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by Brimstohn

You missed the whole point. WoW gained in population after it released. It's population grew steadily for years. Sure it eventually peaked and now is declining. This differs from newly released games like GW2 that peaked at launch and steadily declined to a relatively stable population, but is no longer growing....

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

The Pub at MMORPG.COM

Becouse you said any game yes very succesful..

Skyrim sold 15 million + copys seems succeful hehe.

I think The WITCHER 3 wil be best open world sandbox RPG with very good dynamic AI,  will TOP that number i predict 20million.