Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hate the stand still to attack or cast :(.

Comments

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by Pantherninpo
    You can move and cast in Guild Wars 2, The Secret World, TERA.

This.

I was shocked by it as well in Neverwinter, as a lot of boss fights, the boss does AoE or directional attacks and requires you to dodge out of the way to avoid the damage spikes.

Most of the time this is just impossible, as you constantly stuck in a cast nor able to cancel the cast to get out of the way in time. Even as a Guardian (melee class) you suffer from this all the time with all attacks.

Even in a game like EQ2 or WoW you do not suffer this as melee class, as melee attacks are instant casts. As they should be.

I really hope they gonna improve on this. As right now it makes the combat feel very clunky.

You can cancel any move by dodging. If you don't have enoughs stamina for dodge, well, sorry, you have to rethink your combat strategy since you can't just spam abilities (absurd, I know).

Also, some classes can cast on the move (see Devoted Cleric - Channel Divinity)

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by Punk999
    If it didnt root in place classes like Control wizard would be annoying as all hell to fight.

Yep, and the melee classes get the skills to be mobile enough in combat. Rogue gets to teleport behind mobs and snare, GWF can snare and leap at mobs.  

Ice-skating combat leads to zero risk vs reward in executing an ability, which is essential in any decent PvP.

The Neverwinter devs based reactions around the fact you were rooted during abilities. They would have to dramatically increase mob attack times if you could ice skate around.

GW2 has nothing even close to a Control Wizard that can slow and freeze constantly. Or healers who can constantly heal. It would be insanely cheap if they could move around whilst doing that.

My guardian is constantly rooted with casting my melee / block attacks. Especially my special abilities have long cast times.

It would be much less of a problem if I could cancel my cast to jump out of the way in time during boss fights.

That is pretty much the whole point with boss fights in this game, that they announce an AoE or directional attack and you having to dodge out of the way in time.

As a tank class I am practically glued to the target and thus need time to get out of the way, which is impossible when you are constantly rooted in casts.

You don't have to have this so called GW2 ice skating... but there can be a middle way, by allowing us to insta cancel a cast, so we can jump out of the way in time.

Right now, especially as Guardian melee fighter the combat feels very clunky and unresponsive at times.

Originally posted by DeniZg
    Originally posted by Pantherninpo
    You can move and cast in Guild Wars 2, The Secret World, TERA.

This.

I was shocked by it as well in Neverwinter, as a lot of boss fights, the boss does AoE or directional attacks and requires you to dodge out of the way to avoid the damage spikes.

Most of the time this is just impossible, as you constantly stuck in a cast nor able to cancel the cast to get out of the way in time. Even as a Guardian (melee class) you suffer from this all the time with all attacks.

Even in a game like EQ2 or WoW you do not suffer this as melee class, as melee attacks are instant casts. As they should be.

I really hope they gonna improve on this. As right now it makes the combat feel very clunky.

You can cancel any move by dodging. If you don't have enoughs stamina for dodge, well, sorry, you have to rethink your combat strategy since you can't just spam abilities (absurd, I know).

Also, some classes can cast on the move (see Devoted Cleric - Channel Divinity)

Nope wasn't working for me and not a stamina issue. I am not able to dodge out of the way when in a cast.

It's either a bug or maybe it's server lag / latency issues. But that would be even more worrisome, as the majority of players will be logging into the game tomorrow.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    If it didnt root in place classes like Control wizard would be annoying as all hell to fight.

Yep, and the melee classes get the skills to be mobile enough in combat. Rogue gets to teleport behind mobs and snare, GWF can snare and leap at mobs.  

Ice-skating combat leads to zero risk vs reward in executing an ability, which is essential in any decent PvP.

The Neverwinter devs based reactions around the fact you were rooted during abilities. They would have to dramatically increase mob attack times if you could ice skate around.

GW2 has nothing even close to a Control Wizard that can slow and freeze constantly. Or healers who can constantly heal. It would be insanely cheap if they could move around whilst doing that.

My guardian is constantly rooted with casting my melee / block attacks. Especially my special abilities have long cast times.

It would be much less of a problem if I could cancel my cast to jump out of the way in time during boss fights.

That is pretty much the whole point with boss fights in this game, that they announce an AoE or directional attack and you having to dodge out of the way in time.

As a tank class I am practically glued to the target and thus need time to get out of the way, which is impossible when you are constantly rooted in casts.

You don't have to have this so called GW2 ice skating... but there can be a middle way, by allowing us to insta cancel a cast, so we can jump out of the way in time.

Right now, especially as Guardian melee fighter the combat feels very clunky and unresponsive at times.

double click and hold on the second click

actually I'm going to take that back. this works on the two handed fighter but not guardian. My guess is that the guardian is supposed to be about being "a wall" and blocking the attacks.

Another edit: You can move while blocking with guardian.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • LleksuLleksu Member CommonPosts: 3

Heh. Kids.

Being locked in place adds an element of strategy to combat as well as being more realistic. Try swinging a broadsword with power, control and accuracy while running around. It cannot be done. You MUST plant yourself and have a good stance first.

It also takes a cue from the DnD mechanics where a player could choose to move and take a combat penalty or attack.

Personally I love it how it is. GW2 was just spam spam spam. In Neverwinter you have to make a split second judgment call on whether to attack or get the heck outta the way. It feels more... 'mature' I guess.

Originally posted by Sovrath

actually I'm going to take that back. this works on the two handed fighter but not guardian. My guess is that the guardian is supposed to be about being "a wall" and blocking the attacks.

I will investigate more tonight when I have some time.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by Sovrath

I will investigate more tonight when I have some time.

In addition wiht the two handed warrior you can hold your right mouse to power up an attack and slowly move. Also, once you have filled out the power for your  encounter power you can activate the spinning attack and move any where you want and quite quickly.

So in the end I suspect that each class has the ability to move during combat, it just depends on which attacks and "how" you take advantage of the movement. So the control wizard will cast and you can double tap to zip around while the guardian can hold a block and move to a better vantage point, etc...

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

I think Sovrath makes the point.

Your class special ability (cleric's slide, rogue's dodge, wizard's blink etc.) is how you "move" in combat for the most part. At first I didn't like the fact that, as a rogue, I couldn't just move around as my thief did in GW2 but then I got used to it. It's more tactical, you have to manage your stamina to be able to execute dodges at the right time. It also makes passives that increase stamina regen relevant.

I don't think it's a step back, it's just different. The devs explained in the run up to the beta weekends (I remember Zeke Sparkes telling mmorpg.com's own Bill Murphy in one of the live streams) that they decided not to go with GW2 style combat because it entails increasing the speed at which the mobs attack and they didn't want to go with faster, more twitch style combat as they preferred a middle road, especially for a D&D game.

Personally, I like it.

• Pandaman102Pandaman102 Member Posts: 94
    Originally posted by Lleksu

Being locked in place adds an element of strategy to combat as well as being more realistic. Try swinging a broadsword with power, control and accuracy while running around. It cannot be done. You MUST plant yourself and have a good stance first.

It depends on the technique you're using, but what's important is balance. A good stance will give you good balance, and planting your feet is the easiest way to maintain a good stance, but it does not guarantee you'll have a good stance or balance. Even in German sword fighting techniques you see quite a bit of mobility - it's not Jedi bunny on crack kind of hopping around, but generally you only see someone plant their feet when they're readying to parry an attack (after which they will likely shift footing to execute their counter attack).

A truly realistic system would allow players to continue moving while swinging, but only if the player's footing ends in the correct position in relation to the direction of the swing at the end of their movement at the moment of impact.

Which is a horrible, horrible system that nobody would like, but it would be realistic.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Guardians are meant to block incoming damage, unlike in other games where they will run around dragging the boss everywhere. Using block will cancel any move that you are currently doing, with the exception of some Daily powers. They arent meant to be a mobile class, but they have a lot of abilities to refresh block power to prevent taking damage. Its almost godlike damage avoidance.

Every other class has a dodge function, which will also cancel most abilities.  Like I said, the system irked me at first, but it made sense later on. Its a risk vs reward system, where you get punished for using abilities at the wrong time. It adds more depth to the combat.

• Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511

Heh. Kids.

It also takes a cue from the DnD mechanics where a player could choose to move and take a combat penalty or attack.

Personally I love it how it is. GW2 was just spam spam spam. In Neverwinter you have to make a split second judgment call on whether to attack or get the heck outta the way. It feels more... 'mature' I guess.

I call bullshit. 

I can stab you in real while walking around you, I don't need a good stance to murder you if its about the realism. 

Why do you people are so shortsighted? This is an obvious limitation. Why would u say that Gw2 combat is floaty and everyoen jumps around like a chicken? Have you ever played Gw2? Have you noticed that certain skills in Gw2 root in you place but not the normal attack, WHICH MAKES FUCKING SENSE. If a skill is bothersome and "overpowered" then sure, root the character. But rooting a person for a normal stab attack is plain wrong, there are no 2 opinions about it. It's not action. And who was that guy that listed shitload of action games and said that they root your character. Are you serious dude? You fly around and lift all enemies around you in the air and kick their ass in there. 

What's the difference between an action game, and a tab game, I honestly didn't know there is such genre "tab game". If the game has tab tagetting does that make it a tab game? Or it is a tab game only when it doesn't root you in place :O . 

Pretend all you want. Rooting is for noobs, again, no 2 opinions about it. Being able to move and dodge actually requires more skill, because both the attacker and the "defender" should know their enemy and predict some of their movements. Since you all state Gw2 I'll use example from it. If I see a warrior charging against me with a greatsword, you can bet your ass that I'll do everything I can to expect and avoid his "100 blades" attack, while keeping the attack agaisnt him becuase of the ridicilous large health pool they have, regardless of my profession. 

So yeah, think all you want, rooting classes is a cheap way out. I suppose it's okay, since it's a free game..... And its a cheap way out because with movement animations, you need more animators, more animations. I guess Cryptic can't afford that since they don't expect a high return cost. Sure i'll play Neverwinter in few days when it goes out for everybody, but for the only reason that I need a distraction, and they won't see a penny from me until they improve the combat. 

For real, since when standing still is called action? :O I don't know if I would enjoy Iron Man 3 as much as I did, if everyone was just standing still and bashing themselves :| 

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by sk8chalif
    Originally posted by muffins89
    Originally posted by WarWitch

Ok I was hopeing for for a action game, dungon crawler. But I totaly hate the stand still to attack or cast play style of neverwinter.

If we could move and fight like in most other mmo's it would add so much fun and action to the game.

Its prety much a game braker for me. Ohh well back to gw2 best of luck all.

im curious as to what you mean by most?  im no expert but i've tried quite a few mmo's.  off the top of my head i can think of 1 mmo that allows for movement and combat at the same time.  in "most" mmo's i've played casting roots you in place.

in world of cwarcraft a warrior still can run while using skill like mortal strike. in neverwinter you are realy stand still. that why i wont play the game too, but has for me i dont have any game to return too lol

i have to wait for another game to release

well, you try to speak an ancient difficult spell while running in panic mode!!!

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• ReeseFlamelocksReeseFlamelocks Member UncommonPosts: 45

DDO did it pretty well in that they followed the D&D ruleset of incurring a penalty when moving. In reality, doing anything while moving is pretty difficult. Ever walked or ran while trying to hit a target with a firearm? Almost impossible. People have watched too many movies where this is the norm. Ever tried to read a book and walk? Not easy. We pay athletes millions of dollars just to run and catch a flying pigskin. Lots of things are difficult when in motion.

Additionally, balance is a pretty big part of using a weapon. When people move or are air born trying to use a melee weapon they have very little leverage or power behind the attack.

I am not a fan of the jumping-flying super-ninja mode of combat.

Played: UO, DAoC, Shadowbane, DDO, LOTRO, Aion, Rift, TERA
    Sampled: WoW, AoC, GW2, Vanguard, FF XIV, Neverwinter
    Playing: ESO

Originally posted by ReeseFlamelocks

DDO did it pretty well in that they followed the D&D ruleset of incurring a penalty when moving. In reality, doing anything while moving is pretty difficult. Ever walked or ran while trying to hit a target with a firearm? Almost impossible. People have watched too many movies where this is the norm. Ever tried to read a book and walk? Not easy. We pay athletes millions of dollars just to run and catch a flying pigskin. Lots of things are difficult when in motion.

Additionally, balance is a pretty big part of using a weapon. When people move or are air born trying to use a melee weapon they have very little leverage or power behind the attack.

It really is a matter of skill, even in reality. But then again, If I wanted it to be real, I wouldn't play games, I'd go and stab ponchos while running around xD or play a SIMULATOR, not an ACTION game 

• kaz350kaz350 Member UncommonPosts: 130

Why people are so  in LOVE with the circle strafe bore fest that is GW2 combat I'll never understand.

Neverwinter is a different game leave it be

Originally posted by kaz350

Why people are so  in LOVE with the circle strafe bore fest that is GW2 combat I'll never understand.

I dare you to 1on1 combat while you circle around me mindlessly. See if the battle is all about circling :) 

Oh wait, it's easier to generalize than think right. That there might be people, not you, that do actual good combat, rather than run in circles like bots. I must admit, I love people like you. They usually kill themselves while at it ^^ 

Should I post PvP vids of actual good players that use the movement freedom wisely and they never circle around their targets? 

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by ReeseFlamelocks

In DDO the penelty is so miniscule that they should just tke it out.  Really very rarely do I ever stand still in DDO as one is always chasing a mob around.

Actually walking and shooting is pretty common and really quite feasable at times, granted not a 150 yards but close range very feasable.

• ZedTheRockZedTheRock Member UncommonPosts: 175

Ok I was hopeing for for a action game, dungon crawler. But I totaly hate the stand still to attack or cast play style of neverwinter.

If we could move and fight like in most other mmo's it would add so much fun and action to the game.

I found it irritating in PvE when I first started playing, but as I got to later levels and started doing PvP, it made sense.

Control Wizards would be completely overpowered if they could freely kite while slowing. Also Rogues bunnyhopping around would look terrible (like WoW rogues in arenas).

I think the rooting works, and its fairly unobtrusive once you get into the combat.

Agreed 100%

Also you need to understand the average cast time of an ability is about .5 seconds where other action games have 1 to 1.5 sec cast time and the difference between animations locks between say Tera and Neverwinter are light and day.  Call me what you will but I prefer this high action, quick skill animation, self rooting animations as it makes the combat visceral and weighty.  Something GW2 and TESO lack.  I used to think GW2's animations were good but the floaty feeling is no where near as good looking as Neverwinter.

SUP

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

Heh. Kids.

Hey kiddo, being locked in place to where the char is unresponsive doesn't bring any realism at all.  If anything I'd say this is the most unreal combat since mobs will continuously attack at empty air or how your char wil continue 2-3 more strikes before finally responding to your commands.  GW2 far more requires spilt second decisions... extremely far.  And no... you do not HAVE to plant yourself in a good stance to be effective.  Dueling yes but this isn't dueling.  You don't see soldiers on the battlefiled standing still, they are charging n running around and pacing around an opponent to get an advantage.

And the whole rooting thing comes from PvP justification decision and does not come from any D&D rulebook or feel or anything.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

I found it irritating in PvE when I first started playing, but as I got to later levels and started doing PvP, it made sense.

Control Wizards would be completely overpowered if they could freely kite while slowing. Also Rogues bunnyhopping around would look terrible (like WoW rogues in arenas).

I think the rooting works, and its fairly unobtrusive once you get into the combat.

I'm the same way, they've actually lowered the amount of microseconds the clicker (at-wills) moves will hold you so you can still move much more fluidly then before. Casting takes concentration and so does ranged attacks. Holding you in place keeps you from exploiting and bouncing around like its an FPS, it's not. And it's actually not a weakness of the game.

You get companions and you're supposed to be smart enough to know which companion compliments the role you've chosen. A control wizard shouldn't have a traveling wizard with them. It's redundant. Clerics as companions are one of the things DPS class players in the official forums are raving about, they love how they don't have to  drink potions like a lush on christmas at the family reunion just to stay alive.

I play a Devoted Cleric and the only time I get hit is when I'm either not paying attention or when there's server lag.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

Neverwinter is a WoW clone that is trying not to be a WoW clone. So they added in some D3 elements.

It is boring as all get out.

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Originally posted by botrytis

Neverwinter is a WoW clone that is trying not to be a WoW clone. So they added in some D3 elements.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

I agree with a couple points here.  I do like the ability to move and attack, but I think it should be limited to an extent.  For instance, I think a Thief or dagger wielder should have this ability, but someone using a greatsword or two handed axe should not (or at least have limited abilities that can be done like this).

I've only played a weekend beta and am very excited about tomorrow's opening for the masses, but I think finding the right balance is key.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by DeniZg
    Originally posted by botrytis

My opinion after playing up to level 20. Not a troll but don't understand why people are so ga-ga over a game that really isn't that well written.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

I hate GW2's spastic combat style.  I didn't at first but after 50 levels I can't stand it anymore.  Oh well to each their own I guess.  Enjoy GW2.