Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just bought the game. Need advice

LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Just bought the game.

What weapon/magic style combination is best for someone that wants to enjoy the story and quests, without need to wait for group (basically solo them)

Note I tend to gravitate towards stealth and dps characters. AOE is also welcome.

When I used to play in beta. You were pretty much locked into weapon style you chose.

Is it still true ? Is there respec , and if yes, is it very expensive ?

Comments

• RhazmuzRhazmuz Member UncommonPosts: 208

Heya

I suggest you go to the official forums, there are many good threads there for new players.

A few of the best ones are:

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=52907

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=66643

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=69538

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=69778

The last one should have some suggestions regarding builds etc.

• MulliMulli Member Posts: 94

Definitely pick up the 1pt passive heal from Fists. Blades + [something] would be good to solo with, maybe focusing on crit and penetration. I soloed up to Transylvania as Elemental/Shotgun DPS but it got tricky at times. That was a combination of strong single-target DPS, AoE and AoE snares, focused around Blaze and (pre-nerf) Aidelon.

No respec (no need for it, really).

edit: speling

• PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559

You never where locked into a weapon style in beta, though there is no option to respec, its not needed either since you can unlock every weapon-skill and ability sooner or later anyway.

There are alot of good combinations, personally I enjoyed claw-chaos.  Your 2nd weapon is mostly just there for the finisher. Pick the type of weapon you like and look through the decks, these give a decent start.

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108

I soloed pretty much everything with blood / pistol.. I remember a few small areas in which I couldn't do much but only a few, if fighting were involved in those areas i just skipped it.

This was back when game launched, not sure how useful this is now though, lol.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

The posted links are nice, I'd suggest TSWguides as well, there are great guides and builds for every playstyle.

There's no weapon lock, your first weapon pick in the beginning is only defines your first hours in the game. There's no respec either, if you want to change just pick an another weapon and start unlocking that one's abilities from the wheel.

If you don't want to read / theory craft a lot, go with blade+fist, that's a nice survival combo :) (survival is the "solo", with dps, self heal and some protection). It's a melee range, AoE dps focused weapon pair, so your gamestyle will be: jump in the middle of a pack and AoE dps-ing everything around you while healing yourself :)

Here's Ryahl's blade+fist deck from TSWguides (it's a beginner deck, you can get these abilities pretty early in the game and it's good for the whole Kingsmouth area. And it's also a good foundation for upgrading your deck as you progress in the game and getting outer wheel abilities)

Active Abilities

Blade Torrent (Blade)

Wild at Heart (Fist)

Balanced Blade (Blade)

Nurture (Fist)

Surging Blades (Blade)

Stunning Swirl (Blade)

Pack Leader (Fist)

Passive Abilities

Lick Your Wounds (Fist)

Nurturing Gift (Fist)

Out of the Woods (Fist)

Perfect Storm (Blade)

Dark Potency (Blood)

Unholy Knowledge (Blood)

Immortal Spirit (Blade)

Edit: worth noting, there's no 1 deck to rule th... to play the whole game, that's one of the main things in TSW, you need to adapt a lot. You'll need at least a couple decks / weapon pairs during the game. Pistol will be needed, and maybe a tank-ish weapon as well for the tougher bosses.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

Hello,

when I started I went for Assault Rifle/Sword which worked out pretty well.

Also Assault Rifle / Pistol

There is a special ability called "Turn the Tables" (in the "Misc" field) which gives you a health boost, that is essential for my solo adventures!

Cheers

Doc B

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Lobotomist
    Just bought the game.What weapon/magic style combination is best for someone that wants to enjoy the story and quests, without need to wait for group (basically solo them)Note I tend to gravitate towards stealth and dps characters. AOE is also welcome. When I used to play in beta. You were pretty much locked into weapon style you chose.Is it still true ? Is there respec , and if yes, is it very expensive ? 

All i can say, Is if you keep your gear up to scratch then you wont have a problem doing the content.

There really isnt a best weapon for soloing, Each is capable and each is diffrent.

Trying to do something that is clearly labeled group content, Is never going to go well solod

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Nitth's right, almost forgot, any deck is only 70-80%, and without a matching gear (talisman loadout) you can decapacitate even the most optimal and well-honed deck. A dps-heavy survival deck like the above needs at least a major HP talisman, and maybe a minor heal one as well if you don't feel it's safe to end every fight on low health. As for stats, go for penetration, it's good for blade and it helps Immortal spirit to tick more often.

Edit: and as with weapons, there's no 1 gear to get, you need to have a different set for every deck :)

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163

Here are a couple sites that do a good job of explaining the deck building philosophy -- as others have said, you'll need different decks at different stages of the game:

http://yokaiblog.wikidot.com/guides:build-mechanics

http://wordpress.tswguides.com/tsw-build-page/

Another note is that there is no "stealth" mechanic, although there are "stealth" (sabotage) missions.  These require you avoid line of sight and combat, so it's more about maneuvering your character and threading the needle than turning on an ability.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    You want both an aoe build and a single Target build and to switch between them depending on what you are facing. Thankfully all weapons have both aoe and single Target. Try and pick 2 weapeons that have their single target or aoe style in common and also work from the same trigger - e.g. 2 on crit weapons.
  • ZedTheRockZedTheRock Member UncommonPosts: 176

Just bought the game.

What weapon/magic style combination is best for someone that wants to enjoy the story and quests, without need to wait for group (basically solo them)

Note I tend to gravitate towards stealth and dps characters. AOE is also welcome.

When I used to play in beta. You were pretty much locked into weapon style you chose.

Is it still true ? Is there respec , and if yes, is it very expensive ?

When I played I used Swords and Blood.  With the healing passives.

But that was a logn time ago and after the game turned into WoW at endgame.  WoW without a dungeon Finder I might add.

SUP

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    You can also work a good fist + chaos deck.

On hit is a shared trigger.

For an aoe deck use the circle aoes of chaos with the cone aoes of fists and go for lots of hit multipliers

Both weapons have strong imobilise, you can work a nice single target imobilise deck too, with say 4 different imobilisers, one builder and a finisher from each weapon, then grabing a bunch of passives that do extra damage / debuff / buff on imobilise.

Well thats up until transylvania where you starring coming up against the occasional imobilise immune mob packs.
  • VenedVened Member UncommonPosts: 71

Assault Rifles have good dps, nice ST/AoE and leech healing which is very effective in solo play.

Blades have good AoE, impairs,defence. 

Pistols have good support, same for shotguns.

Oh, passive abilities don't required weapon type, so you can use passives from "fist tree" like lick your wounds in your AR/Blade deck.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    In term of gameplay - what weapons have better gameplay , animations - and are just fun to play ?

• mymmomymmo Member UncommonPosts: 311
    erh. im doing it wrong by collecting build decks? i want the cool costumes 
    Eve online and +1500 steam games in the back cataloge makes me a stressed out gamer.
  • duggyfr3sh123duggyfr3sh123 Member Posts: 95
    In term of gameplay - what weapons have better gameplay , animations - and are just fun to play ?

none really, imo.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
    I play casual and use Shotgun / Elemental for dps and I think Blood / Fist for a heal build in instances & groups.  I am not an expert and do not have a " high level " toon yet, but it seems to be alot easier if you pick a starter build and go with that. Sticking with 1 deck until its finished is the way to go, I made a mistake and kind of half assed one deck and started another halfway through. This seemed to make me weaker until I had enough points to flesh out the new deck I had chosen.
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Originally posted by mymmo

Hmm..yes.

Is there any sense in collecting official decks ?

Any good for starter - and are they limited to your faction ?

• ArkainArkain Member UncommonPosts: 491

Hmm..yes.

Yes, they have setup starter decks.

Originally posted by Arkain

Hmm..yes.

I think he ment whether they're good enough or not... I personally used them as a start, but that's just me, I like to theory craft :) so when I picked up a new weapon then I usually chose a starter deck with the new one paired with a weapon I already have.

On the other hand (and that's just an opinion) they're not very good. Viable, but nothing extra. Most of the time when I got the outfit, I've already had ideas how will I upgrade the deck. The starter ones are - as the name states - only a start, to give you a demonstration of its weapon's place and role. And a free outfit :)

And for the questions: not much sense to go and collect them, since you will unlock the whole wheel if you play long enough, so you will get all the decks and outfits automatically. It's better if you tailor your deck to your playstyle (imo)

And yep, they're faction-limited, all 3 groups have different decks and different outfits. (http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/354760 from an earlier thread, the pictures)

• mymmomymmo Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Originally posted by Po_gg
    Originally posted by Arkain

Hmm..yes.

I think he ment whether they're good enough or not... I personally used them as a start, but that's just me, I like to theory craft :) so when I picked up a new weapon then I usually chose a starter deck with the new one paired with a weapon I already have.

On the other hand (and that's just an opinion) they're not very good. Viable, but nothing extra. Most of the time when I got the outfit, I've already had ideas how will I upgrade the deck. The starter ones are - as the name states - only a start, to give you a demonstration of its weapon's place and role. And a free outfit :)

And for the questions: not much sense to go and collect them, since you will unlock the whole wheel if you play long enough, so you will get all the decks and outfits automatically. It's better if you tailor your deck to your playstyle (imo)

And yep, they're faction-limited, all 3 groups have different decks and different outfits. (http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/354760 from an earlier thread, the pictures)

Thanks for your very informative answer. I will go with gun n blades for now on. 

Eve online and +1500 steam games in the back cataloge makes me a stressed out gamer.