Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Rift worth playing?

TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435

Firstly, I know this game is a re-skin of WoW or games alike but with its own individual charm. For instance the game seems to have a much darker tone to it. Now, I did play this game a lllloooooooooooooooong time ago, did not venture far into it's embrace as other things came up. 

I am, essentially looking for a 'bridging' game whilst I await the official release of Final Fantasy 14 to which I hope will be my next home in the MMO world. 

Ideally I am looking to play Rift as a solo/duo player, a means to pass the time. I do enjoy dungeon based content and raiding quite a lot. I am not a big PvP fan if I am honest. 

Is Rift, worth playing? For someone looking to play it is I intend? Or should I give it a miss and look elsewhere?

Thanking you. 

Tsu

Comments

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    good game, empty servers (at least EU ones).
  • RandomDownRandomDown Member UncommonPosts: 145

Playing duo and single are quite possible. In fact at max level there are solo and duo/trio instances you can do instead of full group dungeons that they added a while back so if you aren't in the mood to raid/group you can run those occasionaly. I found pvp to still be meh though I haven't played since a little before Storm Legion released so I don't know if It was revamped or anything. Its strong point is definitely pve and it does that quite well.

One thing to look at as well is they are running some thing with Raptr at the moment where if you run raptr while you play for however long you get a free copy of the Storm Legion expansion.

• TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435
    Originally posted by Manolios

Ah see it would be on EU serves I would want to play on. I do want to play with my mate and I as we get around to FF14 release date. Perhaps I should just play some more fluff games instead and just be patient for once in my god-damned life hehe. 

Thank you to all thta responded on here <3

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Tsumoro
    Originally posted by Manolios

Ah see it would be on EU serves I would want to play on. I do want to play with my mate and I as we get around to FF14 release date. Perhaps I should just play some more fluff games instead and just be patient for once in my god-damned life hehe. 

Thank you to all thta responded on here <3

I would recommend a trial if they have one to see for yourself, not going into Tsumoro's claim, but my experience is to find out myself and not asking others if I may like something or not.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

I soloed my way to cap playing a cleric, using a hybrid build. I enjoy Rift quite a lot for the diversity of the classes, but most of all for the new player housing called Dimensions. It has become my endgame.

As long as you know it's a WoW clone, I think you'll find all kinds of things to enjoy. OP, you said you had an account but if you want to step back in for a trial, Rift Lite is available for up to level 20. Don't know anything about EU shards but NA shards are pretty lively.

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Free trial up until 20 last I checked.

I didn't like it at all, but no harm in giving it a shot.

• TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435

I suppose it couldn't hurt to play the trial at the very least. I had played the game before, in fact I bought the collectors addition of the game (mainly for the mounts) and I think I got to Gloamwood (whatever its called) and just found the game rather dull and repeatative. 

Of course that was a long time ago and I understand changes to the game have been made so I shouldn't just write it off. But, realistically, this is only  agame I intend to use as a 'filler' period. A way to quench my thirst in the MMO desert as I await FF14 Reborn. 

Does this game now have a dungeon and raid finder? Although some people begrudge these systems I do find them conveinant for solo/casual play. 

• wesjrwesjr Member UncommonPosts: 506
    Originally posted by Tsumoro

I suppose it couldn't hurt to play the trial at the very least. I had played the game before, in fact I bought the collectors addition of the game (mainly for the mounts) and I think I got to Gloamwood (whatever its called) and just found the game rather dull and repeatative. 

Of course that was a long time ago and I understand changes to the game have been made so I shouldn't just write it off. But, realistically, this is only  agame I intend to use as a 'filler' period. A way to quench my thirst in the MMO desert as I await FF14 Reborn. 

Does this game now have a dungeon and raid finder? Although some people begrudge these systems I do find them conveinant for solo/casual play. 

Considering you can get it for free by following my links above, whats the harm?

It has instant adventures starting at level 10.  This is like a dungeon finder

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243
    Originally posted by Wolfenpride

Free trial up until 20 last I checked.

I didn't like it at all, but no harm in giving it a shot.

Same here. I just tried it last night and it's about as themepark as you can get. First quest? Walk 20 feet that way and get a quest complete! Whee! Sparkles everywhere, big QUEST COMPLETE text all over my screen, bangs and whistles. It's a party, folks! Yeah, this is about as gamey as you can get, I can't see me getting into the world when every five feet another massive text bar pops up with more bells and whistles, reminding me I'm playing something akin to a console game.

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243
    I tried the game again after work today, testing out different classes, and oh my.. seriously, honest truth, this has to be the worst MMO I've ever played. I won't say anymore than that.. To me, Rift is just awful.
  • ReeseFlamelocksReeseFlamelocks Member UncommonPosts: 45

I think the instance grouping is fun, as well as adventures, and world events. If you want to faceroll solo content though, then yes, it does get pretty repetative. Not as bad as TERA which is really bad. Some of the quests do have some variety. I like it because parts of it are predictable and sometimes I only have time to log on for a short while and get something done. Crafing is pretty standard, but it can be useful, particularly Alchemy.

I think the soul system is pretty clever and allows for huge diversity of builds, though on the forums people will scream blood murder if you don't min/max because one particular skill is just too awesome to pass up.

I don't think it's a bad little MMO at all.

Played: UO, DAoC, Shadowbane, DDO, LOTRO, Aion, Rift, TERA
    Sampled: WoW, AoC, GW2, Vanguard, FF XIV, Neverwinter
    Playing: ESO

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893

It's definately worth playing . No MMORPG has come out since RIFT which is better .

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Rift is a good game and I enjoy it currently.  I don't group much, but I like to see lots of other people running around the game world.  Sadly, the server I'm on lacks this and the game feels dead everytime I log on.  In fact, I recently went back to EQ for a month or so and even in the lower levels, the game exhibited more player life than Rift  :(

• BookahBookah Member UncommonPosts: 260
    in a word: Yes.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    I would strongly recommend both EQ2 and LOTRO (unless you are a raider) over Rift, but since all three games can be tried free no reason not to try em all and judge for yourself
  • mrrshann618mrrshann618 Member UncommonPosts: 279

Well if fantasy is your thing Rift is a very nice game. I like it a bit more than LOTRO, and way ahead of most other fantasy game, Yes even GW2, but at the moment I'm just not that much into fantasy games.

Even t hough I just loaded up my game again, and have been playing for several hours. That spark that makes a game fun hasn't been back. Last time that spark was there in rift was with my last guild, however my guild seems to have disbanded

Play what you Like. I like SWOTR, Have a referral to get you going!
    -->  http://www.swtor.com/r/nBndbs  <--
    Several Unlocks and a few days game time to make the F2P considerably easier
  • SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    The classes were a little unique which was cool.  For pvp...the game is pathetic...but like I said, the classes are kind of cool

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• paradise2paradise2 Member Posts: 159
    Is the combat of Rift tab style like WoW or action style akin to Tera and Neverwinter?
  • velmaxvelmax Member UncommonPosts: 224
    Originally posted by paradise2
    Is the combat of Rift tab style like WoW or action style akin to Tera and Neverwinter?

its like wow, the game is pretty generic; its just highly known for all the content it has!

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,267
    Originally posted by strangiato2112
    I would strongly recommend both EQ2 and LOTRO (unless you are a raider) over Rift, but since all three games can be tried free no reason not to try em all and judge for yourself

I would choose Rift anytime over LOTRO. LOTRO was completely garbage imo.

• sancher36sancher36 Member UncommonPosts: 458
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

I would choose Rift anytime over LOTRO. LOTRO was completely garbage imo.

Lotro was a great game :)

I also loved their f2p model as it was one of the best 

Looks like rift f2p model is on the ball too and I think making this change will be great for this game. 

i have 2 maxed characters on rift and I will certainly play again :)

• sado2020sado2020 Member Posts: 112
    Im definitely gonna look into RIft once it starts its F2P model as I hope it will busy up the servers again

Playing: TSW, D&D NW, Defiance (more the tv show than game >.> ) LotRO, DCUO