Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just watched the series...

13»

Comments

• XirikXirik Member UncommonPosts: 440
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Originally posted by Xirik

Such a dissapointment. Wooden acting, cheesy dialogue and nonsensical story. Also it seems that it is catered towards lower teens as the violence was very mild. 

Still might try the game but not watching the series.

You watched the whole series?! MAN ARE YOU FROM DA FUTURE!  imageimage

Yes, because I have to watch the whole series to comment on it. image

Look at your thread title mr. special needs.

You're the one that said you watched the whole series. durrrrrr hur hur derp derp

"You have some serious mental issues you may need to seek some help for. There are others who post things, but do not post them in the way you do. Out of every person who posts crazy shit in this forum, you have some of the craziest and scariest" -FarReach

• karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000
    For a scyfy show it is not bad. Beats all those reality tv shows and model shows my wife likes. Its no stargate sg1 or highlander but i have seen worse.
  • MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

Such a dissapointment. Wooden acting, cheesy dialogue and nonsensical story. Also it seems that it is catered towards lower teens as the violence was very mild. 

Still might try the game but not watching the series.

I actually enjoy the series way more than the game, lol - Datak is awesome.  Even though I figured it would be the other way around.  Game is such a bust.

• IsometrixIsometrix Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Originally posted by Xirikimage

Yes, because I have to watch the whole series to comment on it. image

Look at your thread title mr. special needs.

You're the one that said you watched the whole series. durrrrrr hur hur derp derp

Don't be such an idiot, really immature. Perhaps you should be the one to read the thread title again and learn to comprehend the meaning of it. 22 year old male. Figures.

On topic, I'm kind of puzzled as to what's going on. When this project was announced, it sounded promising. I expected either a great series with a mediocre game that you kept shoving money into because you liked the show, or a great game with a mediocre show that you kept watching because you liked the game.

Seeing both the game and the show end up mediocre (and they clearly are, with both having 100+ reviews and an average scoring hanging between a 55 and a 70) is just weird. Why would you invest so much money into this cross-market material, hyping it up, if you know you can't deliver a 5-star product? They're going to end up setting cross-media, scifi series AND TV-show based games back by this. Investors won't risk it again because 'it failed last time'.

Not saying it's a failure yet, but with both the show and the game receiving lackluster reviews from pretty much everyone except a few fanboys here and there, it doesn't seem like either of them is going to be around 3 years from now.

Had high hopes for this. Kinda disappointed.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

You guys are smoking crack.  I particularly like the guy whos aid it "heavily rips off battlestar galactica".  Which i find hilariously funny because battlestar galactica took place on a ship, and they were fighting/running from friggin machines.  There are literally 0 similarities besides the fact that they are both science fiction.

The series is written/produced by the same guy who did Farscape, and i see some similarities to that show as far as design aspects (humanoid aliens, but lots of differences as far as features/coloring, etc).

Oh, and the user reviews on metacritic are in at 7.3, which is very good.  Professional reviews are at 5.5, which is actually still good because TV/Movie critics always give bad scores to sci fi and fantasy shows (notable exception of GoT).

Oh, and we all know that the mmorpg.com forums are a swirling pool of hatred and negativity, so for real data as to how the show is doing:

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/04/23/syfys-defiance-continues-to-deliver-in-week-2/179394/

Syfy's 'Defiance' Continues to Deliver in Week 2

NEW YORK – April 16, 2013 – New Earth. New Rules. New Records. Syfy’s groundbreaking transmedia event Defiance became the channel’s most-watched scripted series premiere among Adults 18-49 (1.3 million) since 2006 (Eureka).

Defiance also delivered Syfy’s top performance in total viewers (2.7 million) and Adults 25-54 (1.4 million) since 2009 (Warehouse 13) during its two-hour telecast on Monday, April 15 from 9-11PM (ET/PT). While averaging a 2.0 HH rating, Defiance also averaged 479,000 Adults 18-34, the most for a scripted series premiere since 2006. 

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/04/16/defiance-premiere-is-syfys-most-watched-scripted-series-premiere-among-adults-18-49-since-2006/178229/

NEW YORK – April 23, 2013 – Syfy’s new hit series Defiance maintained strong viewership levels during its second episode, drawing 2.4 million total viewers, 1.11 million Adults 25-54 and 1.06 million Adults18-49 in the Monday, April 22 telecast from 9-10PM (ET/PT). Defiance was the #1 cable drama in its time period among both key demos.

Viewers also flocked to the April 15 premiere episode. Including the first 3 days of DVR playback, the Adults 18-49 audience increased to 1.77 million (from 1.3 million live viewers).  The total viewership also grew to 3.5 million (from 2.7 million).

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

I really like the TV show, I think its doing great, and I'm not alone judging by its increased viewership as the series progresses.

I think the acting is great, and the setting / theme is excellent too.  I have no idea how someone could think they ripped off Battlestar... they are simply nothing alike.

Great show, can't wait for the next episode.

Edit: I used to think we were all just really hard on games here... I guess we're just hard on every sort of media.  I think the bar is too high for some of you, or you are just impossible to please.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

I am enjoying the show and the game. I, for the first time, starting playing the xbox 360 lately, so I decided to buy Defiance. So far, I think the game is really good. In a strange way, it feels like I am playing my SWG spy and commando again.

I have been a Trion fan for some time, so I am confident they will consistantly crank out some good content as time goes by.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by XxGrimmxX
    Originally posted by erictlewis

Considering the amount of money spent the make up jobs are cheesy, and lazy.  The aliens are more human than alien. The acting ya lol, a B movie from the 70's would be better than what I watched. 

Basicly it was the Eureaka story line, father and daughter come to town and set up shop all over again, with the expection of Eureaka was better. 

How do you know what aliens look like?

Well considering they are aliens, i.e. not from Earth, one would wager they would look quite different as they would not share any of the same genes end evolutionary path of humans.

Well aren't you adorable! Never heard of convergent evolution. How cute! I could pinch your cheeks!

Oderint, dum metuant.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by simsalabim77
    I thought it was pretty decent for a Syfy original. Seems a little harsh to judge it based on two episodes. I thought Firefly sucked ass the first time I watched it, but it grew on me, and I ended up loving it. 

I dont agree. Good series grabs you from the very start. Spartacus, Walking Dead and Game of Thrones all started great and in the case of Spartacus, ended even greater.

Granted those are not sci-fi and its a shame we cant get one with the same quality as other type of series. Dont think a good sci-fi show have been done since Babylon 5, over 10 years ago.

Battlestar Galactica, Lost...so not over ten years.

• IsometrixIsometrix Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Originally posted by Volkon
    Originally posted by XxGrimmxX
    Originally posted by erictlewis

Considering the amount of money spent the make up jobs are cheesy, and lazy.  The aliens are more human than alien. The acting ya lol, a B movie from the 70's would be better than what I watched. 

Basicly it was the Eureaka story line, father and daughter come to town and set up shop all over again, with the expection of Eureaka was better. 

How do you know what aliens look like?

Well considering they are aliens, i.e. not from Earth, one would wager they would look quite different as they would not share any of the same genes end evolutionary path of humans.

Well aren't you adorable! Never heard of convergent evolution. How cute! I could pinch your cheeks!

From what I've seen it's a mixed bag, which is the series for me so far.

- The Volge look good and unique. The problem is they are so different that they are CGI-rendered. This is actually a reason most Sci-Fi shows opt for humanoid aliens. There's human actors so it has to look a little human.

- The cyborg we see fight in the Arena looks great.

- The main female character's race looks fine, about what I expect from a SciFi alien race. Good choice.

- The guys with the cubes all over their faces, they look like scales. Their faces look good, but their hands just look completely human as if someone forgot those. It's an interesting race, like the look overall.

- The vampire emo looking race. Come on, this is just human with white paint and contact lenses and grey hair. They weren't even trying there.

- The Wookie-looking character is completely silly. I see a man with an apemask on. This is so badly done it's not even funny. It is a man with an ape-mask on! Literally any other scifi series with a similar race does this better. I see people at a carnival with more convincing looks.

And this is my problem with the series so far. It's just weirdly inconsistent. For everything great, there's something bad.

The CGI-enhanced scenes that I've seen look amazing, but that million-dollar cube they found in the pilot looks like a plastic toy I can buy at Walmart. The jeep looks great but I'll be damned if that's not a 1980 Volvo I see driving around right next to it.

There's interesting buildings in town and then there's a concert where the wallpaper consists of a bunch of arabic rugs straight out of Aladdin.

The bug-looking creatures in the pilot early on start interesting by sneaking up and surrounding the protagonist, but then they all go down with a single bullet. 

Some of the blades and guns look futuristic, but then there's a lot of old guns around too.

I understand some of this is intentional, but it just comes across to me as silly. Throw in a been-there-done-that rival family where the kids are in love with eachother and evil-conspiracy to take over the world plot and you have a mish-mash of good and bad in one show. 

I'm not disliking the show, I can see it have potential for the future. But most of the shows that I watch start off with a great pilot, a mostly great first season, hopefully followed by a few more good seasons after which things decline. This one starts off as just OK. There's room to grow but I don't know many series that grew over time after starting like this. Hope to be proven wrong though!

/ walloftext.

• Jumper2kJumper2k Member UncommonPosts: 133
    I've rather been enjoying the show for what it is ... sure the acting isn't amazing but it rarely is in the first few episodes of a new show... I'm definitely going to keep watching and give it a chance... I could be biased because I've really been wanting a new sci-fi series though too. I don't mind the cheesyness of it though, and the plot isn't overly impressive but it has its moments, and like others said lots of shows that turned out to be great didn't start that way (stargate sg-1 is a good example in my opinion)

Currently Playing: WoW (somewhat)
    Testing: None
    Played: WoW, CoV, AL, SWG, VC, EVE, SWToR

• TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    I thought it was pretty decent for a Syfy original. Seems a little harsh to judge it based on two episodes. I thought Firefly sucked ass the first time I watched it, but it grew on me, and I ended up loving it. 

I dont agree. Good series grabs you from the very start. Spartacus, Walking Dead and Game of Thrones all started great and in the case of Spartacus, ended even greater.

Granted those are not sci-fi and its a shame we cant get one with the same quality as other type of series. Dont think a good sci-fi show have been done since Babylon 5, over 10 years ago.

Battlestar Galctica? If you tell me it was crap, then I really have nothing else to say to you as our tastes in sci-fi are completely opposed. 

It was alright but I didnt like the dream sequences of Baltar and most of the actors, except Olmos and McDonnel were pretty bad and some, like Grace Park, were just awful. Some of the episodes were really bad as well, like one where Kara managed to fly a Cylon ship and used her foot (!) to close some hole in the hull.

So the series had its moments but many bad one's as well.

Well then, we'll just agree to disagree. You sound like my wife.

Her:

"That's ridiculous. That couldn't ever happen."

"I feel emberassed by how terrible the acting is."

"That dialogue made no sense."

Me:

"Will you please STFU so I can watch this guy have a fight with some lasers."

Well a "fight with some lasers" is not what I would qualify as a good sci-fi show. Atleast not exclusively so. Babylon 5 had a good plot, lots of combat and decent set of actors. Galactica had some good actors and the base storyline was good but everything else was bad or just plain weird.

Like I said, we'll agree to disagree. 

I'll just leave you with this amazing battle scene from Babylon 5. 

Sorry but that was not from the show.  That was from a crappy spin off movie.  The show did not have bad battle scene's like that.  Babylon 5 series was very very good.  

• SlukjanSlukjan Member UncommonPosts: 265

My favorite thing about the show?  Datak's wife!  She is HOT.

Agree with the guy who said the wookie looking aliens look like a man in an apesuit.  Weak.

But I'll watch a few more episodes and see how it goes.

• BrucyBonusBrucyBonus Member Posts: 220

It is pretty poor.  

The characters are all charicatures lifted straight from other sci-fi shows; their is no subtlety to their motivations or intentions.  Even when they aim for subtlety (such as that pale alien woman orchestrating her husbands place on the council in episode 4) it is so poorly realised it is more like a shotgun in the face.  

The heartfelt song and montage (of each characters reaction to the shows events) at the end of EVERY show is a horrible, cringeworthy cliche.  If I have enjoyed any part of the preceding show it is instantly destroyed by those godawful montages.  

The CGI is just cheap.  The gorilla costume is unintentionally hilarious.  

All in all I love it.