Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Camelot Unchained: The Final Countdown for a Kickstarter, and an Industry

Comments

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    I would have backed the kickstarter if they were doing a remake of Magestorm / Spellbinder and not a DAoC Lite ( it almost sounds / feels like a DAoC Private server honestly ). There needs to be FPS games that have magic instead of guns ( no swords or bows either ).
  • TaldierTaldier Member CommonPosts: 235
    Originally posted by lizardbones

This is kind of ridiculous. CU is not going to change the industry. Even supposing the game does get made, based on the number of people pledging money, it's a sub 20k player game. The number of players in the industry is millions, or hundreds of millions.

I'd agree that CU isnt going to cause drastic changes to the industry just by itself (though I'd certainly argue it has an effect as an important part of a larger movement towards player-funded niche games).

However, when you drastically understate things to make your point it just makes you look incredibly ignorant.  Can you think of any game where the total number of players was 50% preorders?  And how many of those preorders were put in 2 years in advance?

It certainly is a niche game and its unlikely to go over 100k payed subs unless its just outright phenomenal.  But 20K?  Thats just assuming from the start that its going to fail.  At 20k CSE would likely be shutting down the game.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by strangiato2112
    Originally posted by Tierless

So, are all of you happy with how the industry currently functions?

Do all of you like the last 5 AAA mmos we were given?

Are all of you content with the current process to produce a MMO?

All of this has nothing to do with Camelot Unchained.

People dont seem to realize:  Camelot Unchained is just one game. 

People need to see the larger picture here. With the large profile failure of SWTOR and other AAA MMORPGs, if smaller scale MMOs like CU and Darkfall and Pathfinder, pushing original ideas and smaller niche focus, start having long term growing success, it with help encourage more studios to do the same, instead of constantly using publishers to reskin WoW.

This is the first time an MMORPG veteran has come back to the genre they helped create to try to make an MMO like they used to make back in the golden age of the industry. And after 8 years of garbage AAA MMORPGs that, if they're lucky, have ONE tiny new feature, I'm ready for a niche MMO that isn't trying to clone WoW, and has tons of fresh ideas.

There is no larger picture here, your talking to a handful of people who backed CU, a few thousand.....that's it.

if people truly wanted this mmorpg made it would have funded in the first day, as it is, 4 weeks later, it might not fund at all.

The mmorpg genre has moved on, you have to stop living in the past, CU shows, if nothing else, relatively few people want this type of mmorpg these days.

CU is niche, let me repeat that, niche! It will appeal to an infinitesimally small percentage of mmo players, it won't change an industry because if it did the genre would be truly dead.

Face facts, people want WoW style games.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Tierless So, are all of you happy with how the industry currently functions? Do all of you like the last 5 AAA mmos we were given? Are all of you content with the current process to produce a MMO?
    All of this has nothing to do with Camelot Unchained.   People dont seem to realize:  Camelot Unchained is just one game. 

People need to see the larger picture here. With the large profile failure of SWTOR and other AAA MMORPGs, if smaller scale MMOs like CU and Darkfall and Pathfinder, pushing original ideas and smaller niche focus, start having long term growing success, it with help encourage more studios to do the same, instead of constantly using publishers to reskin WoW.

This is the first time an MMORPG veteran has come back to the genre they helped create to try to make an MMO like they used to make back in the golden age of the industry. And after 8 years of garbage AAA MMORPGs that, if they're lucky, have ONE tiny new feature, I'm ready for a niche MMO that isn't trying to clone WoW, and has tons of fresh ideas.

Well said, so many people lack vision and the ability to read between the lines to see what something truly means, not what it represents on the surface, but what it means, what the impact is on a deeper level. Look how many industry guys have put this game over, they are hanging on just like us, for the hope that this works and encourages them to get back to making great games, art games, and not cash grabs.

Unless games like CU can be successful on a much larger scale, they are not going to attract the larger developers. Those developers will just leave the market because they can't run their companies on a game with 20k people. It's not the profit percentage, it's the gross profit that will determine whether or not they decide to make certain games.

I think it would be great if CU gets funded and a product gets out the door, but I'm not going to delude myself into the thinking the entire industry is going to change because of one tiny blip on the radar.

If such a tiny game was relevant, then TSW wouldn't be considered a failure for getting ten times the number of players that CU will get. SWToR wouldn't be considered lame even though it had over half a million players. The target is millions of players, not thousands. CU will probably be great, but it's not the target that the larger developers are looking to hit.

A much better outcome would be those larger developers leaving the market and many smaller developers entering the market, creating smaller, but better built games. So far we just have smaller but just as cr@ppy games.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Mkilbride
    Lol, I knew if I posted this article, MMORPG would come in to ruin what is an awesome piece by OnRPG.

What's really funny is that if a similarly melodramatic and extremely biased articel was posted about (oh let's choose a game at random) Wildstar .tThen the majority of people who think the opinion piece you presented us is awesome and the God's honest truth would be calling out the Wildstar article as biased and overly dramatic and villifying the author.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

Originally posted by Tierless So, are all of you happy with how the industry currently functions? Do all of you like the last 5 AAA mmos we were given? Are all of you content with the current process to produce a MMO?
    All of this has nothing to do with Camelot Unchained.   People dont seem to realize:  Camelot Unchained is just one game. 

Well said, so many people lack vision and the ability to read between the lines to see what something truly means, not what it represents on the surface, but what it means, what the impact is on a deeper level. Look how many industry guys have put this game over, they are hanging on just like us, for the hope that this works and encourages them to get back to making great games, art games, and not cash grabs.

You are so out of touch with reality its laughable.

This game is a special case, because its a big name guy attached to it AND is a sequel to a older, popular game.  Big name + big existing fanbase.  About the only possible comparison would be if Koster wanted to make a game called Galaxies Beyond or something, however Koster would probably use the leverage of his current company to make it if he wanted to.

No one else would be able to raise 2 million on ideas alone.

So really, a game like Repopulation means signficantly more, because its not using its starpower or its first game to make an indie game.  

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

Begging thread?

Ok, god damned MMORPG.com trolls, cmon. This is a link, to an article. Not a begging thread. ORPG is a respected website. As much, if not more so than MMORPG.com. It's an interesting article.

But no, of course, it's postive about CU, and we all know on the CU Forums, we can't have positive things.

People aren't trolling you, people are criticizing you. The final countdown for a kickstarter? Yes. The final countdown for an industry? What a joke. The MMORPG community and gaming lineup is stronger then ever and continues to grow every year.  If you don't like the titles released, fine, but don't generalize us all and think we are part of your blind crusade.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Im a big fan of the Repopulation. I hope it does well. Frankly they should do a KS.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/therepopulation/the-repopulation

i'am one of the few that backed it, it seems :) only 709 of us

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Aerowyn

Im a big fan of the Repopulation. I hope it does well. Frankly they should do a KS.
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/therepopulation/the-repopulation

i'am one of the few that backed it, it seems :) only 709 of us

THANKS! Dunno how I missed that!

it was a very low key KS.. obviously since you see how much they asked for.. they still offer most of the same stuff from their website under early adopter

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    I think the industry will shrug off CU once it takes a dirt nap in about oh say a second. 
  • chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953
    Originally posted by Foomerang

They have a bunch of ideas that are not set in stone, yet they know for sure that they need 2 million dollars. That's why this is ks has always seemed half baked to me.

This says it all, yet you have to wonder.....

Look, it comes down to you being a fan or not of the idea and actually willing to dontate on a promise. I have backed many kickstarters (look me up if you like) but each had one thing in common. Proven concepts, be it a full tech demo or a fully layed out plan. Even theme park (currently the one i am backing) has a full actual playable editor that works, they are looking for extra funding to add to the concept and finalize it. That's a proven concept.

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• JIUBHUNNY420JIUBHUNNY420 Member Posts: 131

So if they dont make the 2 mill? Which is looks like they wont.

They dont get ANY of the money right?

J-Hun Lookin to Creep Yall!

Originally posted by JIUBHUNNY420

correct and they are out all they time and money the spent on this KS.. i still think it will fund though.. couple more days to see

• TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    Originally posted by JIUBHUNNY420

....yes the money doesnt get transfered or processed unless it hits the KS goal set.  Which it dont look good, 3 days and almost 500k to go....thats a ruff average with the recient trend they have had.

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

[mod edit]
  • MidBossMidBoss Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by Drakynn
    Lol, I knew if I posted this article, MMORPG would come in to ruin what is an awesome piece by OnRPG.

What's really funny is that if a similarly melodramatic and extremely biased articel was posted about (oh let's choose a game at random) Wildstar .tThen the majority of people who think the opinion piece you presented us is awesome and the God's honest truth would be calling out the Wildstar article as biased and overly dramatic and villifying the author.

Quoting this because It's a crime no one's acknowledged this post yet.

And in regards to the article:

Just the title alone is such a sensationalist load of garbage I find it really hard to care about anything else he's saying.

Originally posted by MidBoss

Just the title alone is such a sensationalist load of garbage I find it really hard to care about anything else he's saying.

I'm not sure what about that post is a legitimate point?

Are you saying that there actually were some CU fans that went to the Wildstar forums to bash an article about Wildstar?  Do you have a link?

And then furthermore are you saying that the appropriate mature response would be to respond in kind to such behavior?

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Taldier
    Originally posted by MidBoss Originally posted by Drakynn Originally posted by Mkilbride Lol, I knew if I posted this article, MMORPG would come in to ruin what is an awesome piece by OnRPG.
    Quoting this because It's a crime no one's acknowledged this post yet. And in regards to the article: Just the title alone is such a sensationalist load of garbage I find it really hard to care about anything else he's saying.

Are you saying that there actually were some CU fans that went to the Wildstar forums to bash an article about Wildstar?  Do you have a link?

And then furthermore are you saying that the appropriate mature response would be to respond in kind to such behavior?

Does it really matter? Nobody looked at Wildstar and said, "This is going to change EVERYTHING! And I must tell EVERYONE!" Sure, there are people who like the game, I suppose, but the whole messianic angle doesn't seem to pop up with Wildstar threads.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by Mkilbride Lol, I knew if I posted this article, MMORPG would come in to ruin what is an awesome piece by OnRPG.
    Quoting this because It's a crime no one's acknowledged this post yet. And in regards to the article: Just the title alone is such a sensationalist load of garbage I find it really hard to care about anything else he's saying.

Does it really matter? Nobody looked at Wildstar and said, "This is going to change EVERYTHING! And I must tell EVERYONE!" Sure, there are people who like the game, I suppose, but the whole messianic angle doesn't seem to pop up with Wildstar threads.

Why would they though?  Im sure Wildstar will be a fine game, but I havent really heard anything particularly impressive about it.  Trying to change things up a little perhaps, but its still following the same general AAA model and not really shaking the status quo much.

I'll agree it certainly looks more interesting than WoW at least.

On the other hand we have a game like CU being based on the same ideals that many of us literally have been waiting to see for ten years.  So yes, people are excited (some overly so, but that seems entirely understandable).

We've been fed the same lines of BS from advertising and marketing people over and over only to find out later that whatever we play gets simplified for casual or lazy players to maximize corporate revenue.  Having a game just start out with the intention of targetting a niche market and just properly fulfilling the needs of that niche is refreshing.

If someone isnt in that niche its no big deal.  I wish them well with whatever games they enjoy playing, but would appreciate if people stop calling anyone who backs CU an idiot for wanting something different.

Is CU going to cause the industry to create more games like CU?  No, thats not the point.  It would prove the model of a niche MMO funded by players.  It fills this one niche and shows other studios that they can successfully make a quality MMO for other niche playerbases without needing to target everyone with pulse as a customer.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

Originally posted by Mkilbride Lol, I knew if I posted this article, MMORPG would come in to ruin what is an awesome piece by OnRPG.

Why would they though?  Im sure Wildstar will be a fine game, but I havent really heard anything particularly impressive about it.  Trying to change things up a little perhaps, but its still following the same general AAA model and not really shaking the status quo much.

On the other hand we have a game like CU being based on the same ideals that many of us literally have been waiting to see for ten years.  So yes, people are excited (some overly so, but that seems entirely understandable).

We've been fed the same lines of BS from advertising and marketing people over and over only to find out later that whatever we play gets simplified for casual or lazy players to maximize corporate revenue.  Having a game just start out with the intention of targetting a niche market and just properly fulfilling the needs of that niche is refreshing.

If someone isnt in that niche its no big deal.  I wish them well with whatever games they enjoy playing, but would appreciate if people stop calling anyone who backs CU an idiot for wanting something different.

Is CU going to cause the industry to create more games like CU?  No, thats not the point.  It would prove the model of a niche MMO funded by players.  It fills this one niche and shows other studios that they can successfully make a quality MMO for other niche playerbases without needing to target everyone with pulse as a customer.

He said he wanted to make a niche game and he is. He is getting y'all to fund it so he has to do nothing. He can also say, if KS fails, that no one was interested and it is not his fault.

He is playing y'all like a violin and y'all don't see it.

Originally posted by botrytis

He said he wanted to make a niche game and he is. He is getting y'all to fund it so he has to do nothing. He can also say, if KS fails, that no one was interested and it is not his fault.

He is playing y'all like a violin and y'all don't see it.

He's putting his own personal money into the project.  "doesnt have to do anything"?  He's going to be making a game.  Sure it means he doesnt have to go and dance like a monkey for outside investors who are more worried about profits than the quality of the game.  Their names arent going to be on it, his is.

I'd rather he spend his time focused on the "making a game for his customers" portion of his job honestly.  If the KS fails, then there wasnt as much demand for the game as he thought.  Thats better than launching it and finding that out later after we all buy the game.

I just dont understand the amount of just knee-jerk hate.  "He's giving that specific group of target customers exactly what they want!! That evil evil man!! He's talking to them and getting their opinions about his ideas!!! How dare he!!!!!!".

• DeviDemonDeviDemon Member UncommonPosts: 29

I really love these guys/gals and I really hope this funds.

This is basically pre-ordering the game and most gamers that I know including myself end up pre-ordering games even the ones that end up being crappy games. Why not put your money on something that imo sounds frigging awesome with so many great ideas.

Yeah, it may be 2 or so years out but that will fly by and be over before ya know it and we will hopefully have an awesome MMO to play.

Ignore the haters.. they aren't worth the time as they're just here to start trouble and up their post count anyways.

If this funds I hope they provide us with some new forums quick. :D

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    If ever this KS fails, it is not a testament to the lack of demand for RvR, or whatever type of game CU is trying to be. I see it as a "how NOT to do a KS" type of thing.
  • MidBossMidBoss Member Posts: 93

What? How? I don't....

How did you even get any of that?

All it means is a lot of people defending this article would turn right around and bash any other sensational article if it was a different game.

Sensationalist titles and insane claims are not how you convince outsiders to join your fandom.

• Elegance92Elegance92 Member Posts: 93

Sensationalist titles and insane claims are not how you convince outsiders to join your fandom.

This, as much as op wants to help the game, I'm fairly sure all hes really done is driven some people debating pledging away.Similar posts were a factor in my deciding not to, anyhow.