Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

They turned a great sandbox genre into a Themepark.

123457»

Comments

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by Iselin
    Originally posted by Arcona

Sandbox fans are against quests right, so you want to level by grinding mobs?

What about playing an asain mmo then?

Ah but you see... when your mind gets numb from repetitive grinding for hours it begins to wander and then the "magic of sandboxing" kicks in and you invent your own story.

Mind you... it always tends to be the same own story, you know? The one with nubile elven women who have been kept away from males... until you came along?

And that my friend, is why sandboxes are best.

im still confused by this whole thing i was always under the impression sandbox meant game where you built things in them, i dont understand why its used as a term to say open world game with no content and the only thing you can do is kill things.

cause you know the elder sroll games arnt sand boxed heck if anything they are theme parks, that let you wander around in the theme park choseing which ride you rode first but a theme park non the less.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Squeak69
    Originally posted by Iselin
    Originally posted by Arcona

Sandbox fans are against quests right, so you want to level by grinding mobs?

What about playing an asain mmo then?

Ah but you see... when your mind gets numb from repetitive grinding for hours it begins to wander and then the "magic of sandboxing" kicks in and you invent your own story.

Mind you... it always tends to be the same own story, you know? The one with nubile elven women who have been kept away from males... until you came along?

And that my friend, is why sandboxes are best.

im still confused by this whole thing i was always under the impression sandbox meant game where you built things in them, i dont understand why its used as a term to say open world game with no content and the only thing you can do is kill things.

cause you know the elder sroll games arnt sand boxed heck if anything they are theme parks, that let you wander around in the theme park choseing which ride you rode first but a theme park non the less.

Ding! ding! ding! We have a winner. It's funny how often people confuse the less restrictive themeparks with sandboxes ain't it?

And by the way "grinding" does not mean just kill things. In a sandbox you also "grind" a shit ton of minerals and a shit ton of wood... and then you "grind" refining the minerals and the wood and then you "grind" building the thing... all of it consuming 100 to 1000 more time than the same activity would take in a themepark...in which you could also build things... you know?

Sandbox aficionados however would tell you that since no one gave you a quest to do it and you did it just because, this is superior somehow and what real MMOS should be.

Sandbox vs. themepark is a simplistic debate between people who usually have no clue what they're talking about and who have never played Dwarf Fortress or have even heard of it.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Originally posted by Neherun
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by Miblet
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by baphamet

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Never reset it at all would be the best.

i somewhat agree but that's not gonna happen as they have already confirmed campaigns will have an end.

Where did you read that? 

'Campaigns can last for a month or longer, giving everyone a chance to pitch in for the war effort.'

....Conflict in Cyrodiil, Part 1 (official site).

Lets hope they dont use GW2 system where you change how you are fighting. I like my war to be static and get to know the other side. Their guilds and tatics so you can play a smart war.

Direct developer's quote was that campaigns may have reset times, and if they do the reset time will be somewhere between 6-12 months. Which I personally don't like, but at least the duration will be huge.

meh GW2 clone ;)

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Squeak69
    Originally posted by Iselin Originally posted by Arcona Sandbox fans are against quests right, so you want to level by grinding mobs? What about playing an asain mmo then?
    Ah but you see... when your mind gets numb from repetitive grinding for hours it begins to wander and then the "magic of sandboxing" kicks in and you invent your own story. Mind you... it always tends to be the same own story, you know? The one with nubile elven women who have been kept away from males... until you came along? And that my friend, is why sandboxes are best.

generally speaking and this is obviously not aimed at you, one only has to realize what the term sandbox means to come to the conclusion that ES is not it.

in a sandbox you build sandcastles, you build the content. in ES all the content is already built and there for you to discover.

just because you can do it in any order you choose does not make it a sandbox by any means at all.

yes it has freedom, freedom does not necessarily equal sandbox.

i find that a lot of the people that complain about this game are complaining for clueless reasons.

i see the concerns about faction lock and even the fact you cant go to enemy lands until you are 50.

but other than that i would say most of the complaining is pretty stupid and pre-mature at best, unless you truly are a sandbox fan and only play those games.

if so, what are you doing here and why are you an ES fan to begin with?

• znaiikaznaiika Member Posts: 203

Can anyone please point me, to where developers stated, that ESO is a sandbox game?

I could only find them stating, it is MMORPG, with feel of elder scrolls.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by znaiika

Can anyone please point me, to where developers stated, that ESO is a sandbox game?

I could only find them stating, it is MMORPG, with feel of elder scrolls.

They never did. Thats one of the two reasons I dont get this thread. ESO devs never planed to make a sandbox game and TES is not by any means a sandbox game. I keep saying, ESO is a themepark game based off a themepark style RPG. IMO I only like about 10-25% sandbox elements. Player housing is one sandbox feature I really love. I hope ESO does add that at some point but not done like an after thought. Would like to see it tie into crafting and other parts of the game. But as they are not making a sandbox game, it does not seem to be a focus. lol

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    Originally posted by Slampig
    Originally posted by Topherpunch

I am a fan od Elder Scroll, so much that I must protest this game.  I am just going to post all the bad things that I think are very bad ideas. This is not a troll, just a "concerned gamers bad idea, thoughts" post....

Having one PvP area. While I know it is huge I just think putting players in a particular place to PvP is just silly.

One mega server, this is good if you were playing a game like EvE or Darkfall where there are no instaces.

Gaining skills and spells..... Not cool

Targeting..... Why are they ruining the FPS style?

Not able to join other faction area's until you reach maxed level (This could be a rumor) Why?

What did you do to the old crafting system from Elder Scrolls? What is wrong with combining regular items to make weird combines?

Zenimax.....

The root of all evil.....money. Why is Bethesda giving into corporate walkways? You could have created something amazing.

These are just some things I think they really messed up on. Personally I wish they would stop what they are doing and remake. Theme park is dead. I know some people really like themepark games, but  (this is an assumtion) I really think that is because they have not been given anything else. If Skyrim was an MMORPG with hundreds of people running around doing what they want and killing who they wanted...... There would be only one.

Yes yes, that evil money... You know, if it didn't cost MONEY to produce a game like this and it didn't cost MONEY to support a game like this, I might actually agree with you... You can totally continue to play Skyrim, you should in fact. Just remember how much you paid for that game as well, and that was just to play by yourself...

I wonder how chasing the money went for all those other themepark games not called WoW.

Originally posted by Golelorn
    Originally posted by Slampig
    Originally posted by Topherpunch

I am a fan od Elder Scroll, so much that I must protest this game.  I am just going to post all the bad things that I think are very bad ideas. This is not a troll, just a "concerned gamers bad idea, thoughts" post....

Having one PvP area. While I know it is huge I just think putting players in a particular place to PvP is just silly.

One mega server, this is good if you were playing a game like EvE or Darkfall where there are no instaces.

Gaining skills and spells..... Not cool

Targeting..... Why are they ruining the FPS style?

Not able to join other faction area's until you reach maxed level (This could be a rumor) Why?

What did you do to the old crafting system from Elder Scrolls? What is wrong with combining regular items to make weird combines?

Zenimax.....

The root of all evil.....money. Why is Bethesda giving into corporate walkways? You could have created something amazing.

These are just some things I think they really messed up on. Personally I wish they would stop what they are doing and remake. Theme park is dead. I know some people really like themepark games, but  (this is an assumtion) I really think that is because they have not been given anything else. If Skyrim was an MMORPG with hundreds of people running around doing what they want and killing who they wanted...... There would be only one.

Yes yes, that evil money... You know, if it didn't cost MONEY to produce a game like this and it didn't cost MONEY to support a game like this, I might actually agree with you... You can totally continue to play Skyrim, you should in fact. Just remember how much you paid for that game as well, and that was just to play by yourself...

I wonder how chasing the money went for all those other themepark games not called WoW.

Themepark does not mean fail. No end game, bad combat system, when end game be added and it feels like an after thought. Thats when MMOs fail. More themepark MMOs have made it big then sandbox, real sandbox. What going to make the best MMOs going forward will be games that can take the best of sandbox and themepark and put them in one game. Thats where real winning will be.

• CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368
    No, they have taken a great Themepark/Sandbox Hybrid SPRPG and used it to remake DAOC

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

Originally posted by CthulhuPuffs
    No, they have taken a great Themepark/Sandbox Hybrid SPRPG and used it to remake DAOC

The RvR model for PvP is just one part of the game. There is so much more to this game then the AvA map. Public quests, open world dungeons and instanced, Phased events for raids, Quest hubs and open world quests. Join the mages guild and get rewarded for exploring. Thats before you get into the combat and one of the least restrictive class system I have seen in a MMO and crafting done in a way that will bring crafting fans to this MMO. Like many you are hung up on one part of the game. To make it worse, TES was far from sandbox.

• SpellforgedSpellforged Member UncommonPosts: 458
    Elder Scrolls Online is going to be a failure anyway. Doesn't matter if the game launches as P2P or F2P, because it will be going F2P within a year or two regardless. Think SWTOR, but even more of an unfaithful train wreck and you have what ESO will be. It's just not a good idea to release such a generic MMORPG anymore with most developers pushing for innovation.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    It they were "remaking daoc", the game would have.

1 no instances whatsoever
    2 ffa and coop ruleset servers where you can group with anyone and go anywhere
    3 non instanced housing
    4 rvr that went on for ever and didn't need a reset
    5 huge raids that take hundreds of people and last for 8 hours
    6 no sharding
    7 no phasing
    8 no quest hubs, limited number of rare but very long quests
    9 bloody massive world
    10 fourty + classes

So don't go with the "daoc clone" bullshit unless you've actually played daoc rather than just read some idiot on these forums.

The game has more in common with say the secret world than it does daoc if you look at the feature list.
  • MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Wish we had more sandbox mmo's that are at least decent to play.

Eve Online - 10/10
    Archeage - ??

and AA isnt even a full sandbox either.
    Themepark mmo are way to generic these days.
    People rush trough it and are done with the game within 2 months.

Sandbox mmo's dont suffer that much from it, as its the players who create the contend.
    Kinda fail to see MMO #3432413 in the making and ironicly making the same mistakes as every other studio by making it way to themepark....

In the past i would care if it was theme or sand.....but now i just cant play it anymore.
    All the mmo's suffer from the same fatigue after a little bit of playing.

Kill 10 rats
    lf tank . healer
    /queue for battleground
    /craft axe of the bittervet

ashame that studios still dont see that the mmo players vieuw changed 180 degrees.
    we are not waiting for WoW 2.0......

Create something that is unique, where players create the contend....
    not the scripted shit we have seen for decades now -_-

• znaiikaznaiika Member Posts: 203
    Originally posted by CthulhuPuffs

I wish it was themepark/sandbox hybrid SPRPG, with unpredicted events, everything needed crafted, builted and groved.