Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Developer names make you NOT buy/play a game?

Comments

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396

There are some companies that I am not interested in giving any money to.  NCSoft.  EA.  I might try their games for free, but no money will go their way, if I can at all help it. 

Most other companies I will consider trying, but I rarely just buy anything from the get go.  Wait til reviews and information becomes available.

For developers themselves, only a few rank up there for me.   There are probably more that should though.  Most of the bad ones act as warning signs for the games they tout.  A warning to be suspicious.  Jack Emmert.  Roper.  Probably McQuaid.   Garriot might produce something good, but he'll be late and overbudget. 

Oh, and Chris Roberts.  A Hollywood shark in gaming guise.  His newfound 'love of gaming' coincided very conveniantly with his inability to get any more funding for his poor Hollywood producer career.  No one I know who worked for him has anything good  to say about him.  He's riding on rep, and the rep is not apparantly not solidly based on much of his real accomplishments.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

I'll never buy an EA game for full price. If it's really good I'll wait till it's $5 but I wont support that company anymore.

SOE I've had so many bad experiences with CS I just don't bother. My account PW is lost for it anyway and no amount of ticket ect seems to get it back so I just gave up and pass on their games. If they made a game I actually wanted to play I might make a new account but I'm a bitter SWG vet so....

Cryptic doesn't make games I like so If I see them as the devs I always wait and see...so far that's always been wait and never end up buying it. They're not on any black list for me...I just don't seem to like their games.

More and more it seems to come down to, I know what types of games big name companies make and I don't think they're worth a $60 box price.  I've become a real wait and see gamer.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    I can't think of a name or company I'd never buy a game from based on names or logos. Far too general of a way to judge games IMO, I look at and/or buy what interests me. I've never taken a game that failed to entertain me personal, or felt vindictive/wronged due to a change made, I simply move on and look for new games. Might have something to do with understanding exactly what marketing is and never buying into it.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615

Ken Karl

John Smedly

Both of these fools ruin any game that they are attached to.

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    None, I will judge the game by the game.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I don't think there is a single developer that i would not at least try to play but publishers there have been many that i would like to blow up.

I find Blizzard has been real low budget in their games,very low end tech,but doesn't mean i wouldn't at least try their products,i have tried most of them.

At one time i really despised Turbine but even now,they don't bother me,i would try their products.

I guess i am easy going because i know how much BS developers like to feed people to buy their products,i know it is not right to mislead people but i let it slide,realizing it is their job to make money anyway they can or they lose their jobs.Sadly that is the world we live in,a dog eat dog world.

I also do not become a fanbois of any developer,if they have something good to offer,i love them,if not,i look the other way but i never hate them.

So far in all my years of gaming,Arena Net has been the worst i have ever seen for feeding BS.That is no way a knock on the game itself but i do not like their tactics,they are very misleading.None the less,like i said i don't hate them and i would still try  their products,i did play GW1 btw.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by CthulhuPuffs

Often when we see a Developer is making a new game, we also see gamers get all excited for the return of this MMO Messiah.

However, there are also Developers whos names ring hollow. Where just the mention of a certain Devs name can send chills down a gamers back.

Here is a list some of some of the Devs whos names will make me instantly NOT buy a game - Garriot, McQuaid, Bowman, Emmert, Smart, Flamborous, Roper, Jacobs

I was wondering what Dev names other gamers have on their "Heck No" list

Nobody.  I don't have a list like that. 

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• xDracxDrac Member UncommonPosts: 201
    Gameforge, definitely.

Web & Graphic Design - www.xdrac.com

• AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

None.

I buy/play games, not dev names.

Any dev can make a good game, or a bad game. Whether i play or not depends on the game, not the developer.

Exactly.

Shame ppl need to be so short sighted and spiteful, as if they themselves where perfect in everything they do in thier own working life.

• MirariMirariMirariMirari Member UncommonPosts: 47

NCSoft.

Bleh....

Disgusting.

I really don't know what to put here.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by Alverant

EA and NCSoft. They canceled the only other MMORPGs I've played. Yes, I can carry a grudge against a company for years. This also means I can try games from smaller companies and give them a little boost.

It's the circle of business life. You start small, you get big, you get slow, you fall to the new small company. The only way to stay big is to become too big to fail.

just wondering which game was canceled by EA that upset you cause i also think that way due to earth & Beyound

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• quseioquseio Member UncommonPosts: 234
    i wont play a game by ncsoft ever again after they  suddenly shut down exteel
  • Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by quseio
    i wont play a game by ncsoft ever again after they  suddenly shut down exteel

i ahve to agree there, although i only played exsteel on and off, rather im a CoH refuge, ya know i never really understood SWG fans until that moment.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405

SoE, EA, Aeria so far.

If Eqnext is all it's cracked up to be I might have to check it out. But SOE's Idea of Free to Play makes me sick, as does EA's.... and Aeria is just horrible all around.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Just recently, whichever companies use "Overwolf".  The piece of crap totally blocks other games and makes them crash while it's running.  A friend and I who planned to try Allods together had to uninstall.  Not sure if Allods works without it or not, we didn't bother trying after that.
  • SiderasSideras Member Posts: 231
    Everyone working at EA, I mean every single person related to that abomination. That includes Bioware etc and all the insects residing within.
  • KilmarKilmar Member UncommonPosts: 844
    Blizzard, I won't ever support their behavior again. No Diablo 3 and no Starcraft 2 for me. And whatever Titan will be.
  • CrydexCrydex Member CommonPosts: 23
    Funcom,  Bioware,  Aventurine, Gamigo, and Crytpic.
  • RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

None.

I buy/play games, not dev names.

Any dev can make a good game, or a bad game. Whether i play or not depends on the game, not the developer.

Exactly.  As always, it depends on the game.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605

Cryptic,

AV(darkfallUW),

Perfect World.

Bioware( on the fence now)

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

I never completely rule out a game until its been live for a while, and reviews from real players have come in.

Saying that, it would take some pretty damn amazing reviews for me to ever look at an EA game ever again. 

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995
    EA and so far, every EA game that I had thought, "I would buy that if it wasn't EA", turned out to be either crap, a disaster or a combination of the two.
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829

Kind of turning the question around, but there were a couple of companies I would buy a game from, sight unseen. BioWare for example.

Not any more. I don't care how successful the company has been in the past, I'm never going to pre-order a game, or buy one, without it first being released with good reviews. I haven't kept track of individual developers, but the same goes for them. I don't care how good or bad their previous games were. I won't buy anything until it is officially released, and has good reviews.

Garriot could be an exception. Reading an interview with him in the Austin Chronicle, where he stated that Tabula Rasa was revolutionary, etc, etc, made me think he is just a liar, or a marketing exec. Not to be trusted.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• f1sebf1seb Member UncommonPosts: 194
    EA and Gearbox.