Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is All PVP Still Restricted To Cyrodiil? If It Is Im Not Buying This Game

I enjoy the PVE aspect of MMO's but I like PVP a lot more. Most of my PVE needs are satisfied playing Elder Scrolls Oblivion/Skyrim along with Skyrim mods but I do still play PVE in MMO's. The major problem with this game is that all PVP is going to be restricted to Cyrodiil, I enjoy playing PVP in a wide variety of enviornments and constantly playing in Grasslands/Some snow areas near Bruma is not enough for me. You are supposed to be at war here, I know the battle is for the throne of the Empire that means you need to control Cyrodiil, the heartland and most powerful region in Tamriel. Still, you should beable to sack enemy cities and have big pvp battles in enemy regions.

I know they are balancing everyone for PVP in Cyrodiil, while I like that, it doesn't do much for diversity and it would all come down to skill instead of the gear you worked hard for to get. There should be pvp in the rest of the game world with no balancing additions that are in Cyrodiils pvp. You should beable to sack an enemy city and if you take their city you get to loot it and everyone who attacked should get a lot of gold / items you find around the city. After a city is secured the home faction would have the ability to take it back. 

I know this game is running on the Mega Server technology, there should be a PVE and PVP shard, the PVE shard would have all PVP limited to Cyrodiil while the PVP shard would have open world pvp throughout the entire world. 

So are they going to have true open world pvp in this game or not? Limitiing all PVP to Cyrodiil is just gonna feel like Guild Wars 2, huge giant maps for PVP but no real open pvp throughout the rest of the world. I hate it when MMO's divide where you can and can't pvp. 

Comments

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    I'm glade you found out early....you're not going to play the game.
  • superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

Open world PVP sounds good on paper but in practice is a bad idea. There are a whole host of problems associated with it:

- PVP would be way too scattered and less focused. Small groups or individual players would be haphazardly fighting rather than having larger-scale battles between armies.

- People would not easily know where to go to join up with their groups.

- PVE content (which is most of the game) would not be safe to do. You could never feel safe questing.

- It would be a lore-breaker (at least initially before 50+) if factions are not restricted to the races the comprise them.

I remember when runescape decided to open up the whole world to PVP, instead of just limiting it to the wilderness. The amount of backlash they received was mind-numbing. PvP was ruined so much that they eventually they restored the wilderness to the way it was before.

• SaxonbladeSaxonblade Member Posts: 275
    Originally posted by superconducting

Open world PVP sounds good on paper but in practice is a bad idea. There are a whole host of problems associated with it:

- PVP would be way too scattered and less focused. Small groups or individual players would be haphazardly fighting rather than having larger-scale battles between armies.

- PVE content (which is most of the game) would not be safe to do. You could never feel safe questing.

- It would be a lore-breaker (at least initially before 50+) if factions are not restricted to the races the comprise them.

I remember when runescape decided to open up the whole world to PVP, instead of just limiting it to the wilderness. The amount of backlash they received was mind-numbing. PvP was ruined so much that they eventually they restored the wilderness to the way it was before.

Tell the people at blizz that, it was in fact the removal of meaningful OW PVP that cost blizz many subs. OW PvP in Vanilla WoW was some of the best OW PvP in any game.

• CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368

LMAO!!! Break the Lore?

That Race=Faction restriction has only been part of the ES "lore" for the last few months since Zenimax made it that way.

Zenimax has been breaking, twisting and reforming the ES lore ever since they decided to make ESO

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,815
    If they make it open world FFA PvP, I won't play the game.  The three secluded PvE areas are perfect, with a large PvP space.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Saxonblade

Originally posted by superconducting Open world PVP sounds good on paper but in practice is a bad idea. There are a whole host of problems associated with it: - PVP would be way too scattered and less focused. Small groups or individual players would be haphazardly fighting rather than having larger-scale battles between armies. - People would not easily know where to go to join up with their groups. - PVE content (which is most of the game) would not be safe to do. You could never feel safe questing. - It would be a lore-breaker (at least initially before 50+) if factions are not restricted to the races the comprise them.   I remember when runescape decided to open up the whole world to PVP, instead of just limiting it to the wilderness. The amount of backlash they received was mind-numbing. PvP was ruined so much that they eventually they restored the wilderness to the way it was before.
    Tell the people at blizz that, it was in fact the removal of meaningful OW PVP that cost blizz many subs. OW PvP in Vanilla WoW was some of the best OW PvP in any game.

wow got more popular after bg's were introduced in vanilla wow and gained more subs actually.

group finder and meeting stones is what killed wow's open pvp.

i love me some open pvp but i 100% understand why they have pve exclusive zones in a ES mmo.

if there was open pvp that would turn off a lot of fans. open ffa pvp is not for a lot of people, especially this games target audience.

wows target audience at the time of release was the "bnet kiddies" who were all about pvp.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Wow never had "meaningful open world pvp"
  • SaxonbladeSaxonblade Member Posts: 275
    Originally posted by baphamet

Originally posted by Saxonblade

Originally posted by superconducting Open world PVP sounds good on paper but in practice is a bad idea. There are a whole host of problems associated with it: - PVP would be way too scattered and less focused. Small groups or individual players would be haphazardly fighting rather than having larger-scale battles between armies. - People would not easily know where to go to join up with their groups. - PVE content (which is most of the game) would not be safe to do. You could never feel safe questing. - It would be a lore-breaker (at least initially before 50+) if factions are not restricted to the races the comprise them.   I remember when runescape decided to open up the whole world to PVP, instead of just limiting it to the wilderness. The amount of backlash they received was mind-numbing. PvP was ruined so much that they eventually they restored the wilderness to the way it was before.

wow got more popular after bg's were introduced in vanilla wow and gained more subs actually.

group finder and meeting stones is what killed wow's open pvp.

i love me some open pvp but i 100% understand why they have pve exclusive zones in a ES mmo.

if there was open pvp that would turn off a lot of fans. open ffa pvp is not for a lot of people, especially this games target audience.

wows target audience at the time of release was the "bnet kiddies" who were all about pvp.

Where did I say BGs killed Wow, I said the removal of meaningful OW PvP, which was cross server BGs etc

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

oh man another one of these, well son, you just looking for wrong titles overhere, there is few open world pvp mmos outhere you can play , but i think again like in some many posts always is crycrycry.

what you want then? warhammer style region controlling pvp every map? yea that worked really frakking great. pvp on cyrodil is the closest of the best idea how to do pvp in mmos. and still and always there is opinions that differs always cries about this and that. im not a fanboy, but i hell yeah like the idea how the wrap this pvp up.

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720
    OP - In answer to your unwritten question - No, you wont be able to Gank teh Newbs

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Open world PVP sounds good on paper but in practice is a bad idea.

My guess is that you either have never played an open world pvp game or in the end it wasn't for you.

Lineage 2 has open world pvp and not only was pvp happening all around the sieges were still done. Of course, they were at specific times of the week.

you join up for groups where people are announcing battles. If you are part of a guild they will tell you where to go.

It's true you would never feel safe questing. some people like this and it's their reason to play open world pvp. Or reason to pve in a group of people.

It would not be a lore breaker.

My advice would be to play an open world pvp game to get a better idea how they run.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Originally posted by stragen001
    OP - In answer to your unwritten question - No, you wont be able to Gank teh Newbs

also have to add this +++

• HighMarshalHighMarshal Member UncommonPosts: 414

Has any full open world PvP games ever survived? Most crash and burn after release, while the rest slowly fade into........

Oblivion!

• aslan132aslan132 Member UncommonPosts: 619

Agreed, OW PVP is a terrible idea. And the only reason someone would want it in thier game instead of the semi-more balanced version in Cyrodill is if you want to gank lowbies. If it really means that much to you to not have a fair fight, I think Darkfall offers ganking. 

Im glad with what they are doing here. I was happy with ESO before they opened the other two factions post game, and Im happy they have done it also, as now I wont need the 2 alts I was planning for them. The very worst thing they could do is add in OW PVP, because that immediately makes it a niche title, with a very small playerbase. There just isnt players out there to support that style of gameplay. Im not going to make up numbers and percentages like some people do when they say 90% of players are PVEers, but I wouldnt be surprised to learn that in fact only 10% of players PVP. What I do know is that it is a small number, and im pretty certain its smaller than 25%. 

Cyrodill will be huge. And its full of villages and towns, castles and guards. Theres PVE and PVP, and its the closest thing to OW PVP that any game ever needs. You can still gank players that are questing, you just wont be able to pick on lowbies or undergeared. There really shouldnt be complaints here, unless youre just so bad at PVP you cant win a fair fight.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    please no there are several PvP focused MMOs out there, let me have my games where i can PvE when i want to and PvP when i want to but not be forced to ether when i dont want to.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Gonna play this game only because it has PvP psychos separated.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

OP--I see Darkfall Unholy Wars in your future...but hurry, or you'll be so far behind you'll just be cannon fodder forever. Some, who will repeatedly gank you until you rage-quit, will even call you "gimp."

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844
    Originally posted by Codeme

also have to add this +++

So are you saying that theres only these magic creatures Newbs playing ?

Who are they ,where do they come from ? if you know them so well ?

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

OWPVP done right - e.g. EVE is fantastic.

what i dont get is some people thinking wow style flip a switch PVP servers are some how more PVP than a RVR setup.  Wow is a game ran by former EQ raiders for raiders, PVP is right at the bottom of WOWs priorities and always has been.  PVP in wow is just token flip a switch pvp servers and instanced gubbins.

OWPVP done right - e.g. EVE is fantastic.

what i dont get is some people thinking wow style flip a switch PVP servers are some how more PVP than a RVR setup.  Wow is a game ran by former EQ raiders for raiders, PVP is right at the bottom of WOWs priorities and always has been.  PVP in wow is just token flip a switch pvp servers and instanced gubbins.  

• tropiktropik Member UncommonPosts: 97
    You could have found the info you were looking for by googling "Elder scrolls online" "pvp" or something like that but no instead you came here to get a reaction. Classic mmorpg.com
  • lolunaticlolunatic Member Posts: 108
    the fact that they already said they are using single server technology, and trying to boast this "doac-like" world pvp, its gonna back fire so hard.
  • BrooksTechBrooksTech Member Posts: 163
    More importantly, if it isn't restricted I'm not buying it.
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

in cyrodiil you can, there is plenty of pve content there as well, from what i hear.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Codeme

oh man another one of these, well son, you just looking for wrong titles overhere, there is few open world pvp mmos outhere you can play , but i think again like in some many posts always is crycrycry.

what you want then? warhammer style region controlling pvp every map? yea that worked really frakking great. pvp on cyrodil is the closest of the best idea how to do pvp in mmos. and still and always there is opinions that differs always cries about this and that. im not a fanboy, but i hell yeah like the idea how the wrap this pvp up.

He didnt say anything about warhammer he just wants open world pvp and he doesnt mean free for all.  WoW was awsome with its open pvp and so i can understand why many people want that.