Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Really, are we now down to 4 classes?

DonY81DonY81 Member UncommonPosts: 398

Im getting pretty tired of this. Ive not browsed or looked at this game extensively but come on now. Are we only putting out 4 classes....really?

That even straight out the gate is a turn off.

Comments

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

It depends really on the customization it has. Rift only has 4 classes, though it has so many soul branches that it ends up expanding a lot on what it offers, as a Warrior could be tanking in several different speccs or dpsing in several different ones. Given it has a lot of customization per class, it could work out.

That being said, I'm the type that would rather having several dozen classes and having more imbalance, then having a select few and never being able to perfect balance anyways.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    all classes are DPS in this game.. but every class can play every role depending what dragons you have.. the whole class system is based around the dragons.. you basically pick what dps style you enjoy then can customize what role you enjoy by what dragons you tame and add to your collection.. it adds as much flexability as any class system with 10+ classes but without needing to play 10 alts.. i personally like the system gives you a ton of flexability on a single character without needing to make a ton of alts

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by DonY81

Im getting pretty tired of this. Ive not browsed or looked at this game extensively but come on now. Are we only putting out 4 classes....really?

Most MMOs have basically 4 classes -  the three necessities for the trinity contrivance and the archer/engineer/pet class.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• KurushKurush Member Posts: 1,303

Yeah.  On the one hand, fewer classes.  On the other hand, you're free from a class-based holy trinity.  The dragons are where most of the customization is.  Once you get used to that idea, you don't mind the fewer classes that much.

In fact, let yourself detach from the whole holy trinity idea.  You have to realize a few things about this game.

Most of the mitigation in this game is from maneuvering, not from mashing 1/2/3 defensive CD's on a tank hotbar.  Having one guy try to stand there and eat everything isn't always the best strategy, even with defensive skills.  And healing is incredibly powerful, enough that every character can potentially take care of themselves, if needed.  So while you can tank and can heal, responsibility is way more distributed for bosses.  Everyone is kinda playing the same game: kick ass while staying alive.

It was said earlier pretty well.  Your class is basically what flavor of DPS you like.  The combo system is a blast-and-a-half.  In fact, this is one of the very few games where I'd say the combat is way more fun in practice than it is when you watch it in trailers.

This game has issues, and it has miles to go before being ready for prime time, but don't write it off until you've spent at least ten hours in the game.  I think this game is going places.

Or is it?

• WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

grouping sounds just like GW2, no taking or healing just manuvering.

no thx,

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

Some fail to understand that some people like specialization.. Feeling like a part of something bigger than just themselves.. If everyone is basically a "one man band" able to do everything for themselves it really makes being special not so special..

As someone said in a post before me, just like GW2, and that idea of "If everyone is super, then no one is" applies effectively killing 80% of grouping usefulness..

Originally posted by Vyeth

Some fail to understand that some people like specialization.. Feeling like a part of something bigger than just themselves.. If everyone is basically a "one man band" able to do everything for themselves it really makes being special not so special..

As someone said in a post before me, just like GW2, and that idea of "If everyone is super, then no one is" applies effectively killing 80% of grouping usefulness..

you can be unique in this game depending on how you train your dragons and what dragons you get.. it actually offers more specialization than most MMOs.. take eq games for example you have a lot of classes but then again everyone has access to all those same classes.. you pick one and guess what 100+ people are that same exact class so you aren't really unique at all..  now you don't have the flexability has say skyrim where you can be pretty much anything with a single character since your main abilities are locked into what class you pick but the dragon system offers a lot of ways to make whatever class you choose very unique.. there are a LOT of dragon types in this game giving a lot of variety in what you can do

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• mikunimanmikuniman Member UncommonPosts: 375
    I like the sound of this game and another non-trinity choice I'm all for it. I wish there was more gameplay footage around.
  • isslingissling Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

you can be unique in this game depending on how you train your dragons and what dragons you get.. it actually offers more specialization than most MMOs.. take eq games for example you have a lot of classes but then again everyone has access to all those same classes.. you pick one and guess what 100+ people are that same exact class so you aren't really unique at all..  now you don't have the flexability has say skyrim where you can be pretty much anything with a single character since your main abilities are locked into what class you pick but the dragon system offers a lot of ways to make whatever class you choose very unique.. there are a LOT of dragon types in this game giving a lot of variety in what you can do

That may true but at least it is just a small percentage of the people playing that are the same class as the one you pick, and people where known for being the best at their class. This new trend of no class's  just seems like everybody is the same. Do you think everybody will have the same dragon because that is what works?

I don't know much about the game so I am hoping that maybe they will surprise everybody and it will turn out ok. 

Originally posted by issling

That may true but at least it is just a small percentage of the people playing that are the same class as the one you pick, and people where known for being the best at their class. This new trend of no class's  just seems like everybody is the same. Do you think everybody will have the same dragon because that is what works?

I don't know much about the game so I am hoping that maybe they will surprise everybody and it will turn out ok. 

in this game each dragon has its own set of abilities but you also can train each dragon to make them stronger you can also transfer abilites around.. in turn it makes for some truely unique combinations.. you can't just go out and grab a dragon and assume it will be the exact same as the next person who has that same dragon because you don't know how that person trained their dragons

• isslingissling Member UncommonPosts: 162

So Aerowyn I went to their site and I understand what you are saying and I like the idea. I think there could be some depth in the dragon training mixed with your class and so on.

But I am done with free to play games the first thing that hit me on their site was pay for beta and get your exsclusive dragon and dragon armor and a bunch of items. So from day one everybody will already be in some kind of armor they didn't earn with some dragon they bought from the cash shop and so on and so on.

I am not bashing the game it seems alot of people seem to like this model its just not for me, but you made some interesting points on the class and dragon system.

Originally posted by issling

So Aerowyn I went to their site and I understand what you are saying and I like the idea. I think there could be some depth in the dragon training mixed with your class and so on.

But I am done with free to play games the first thing that hit me on their site was pay for beta and get your exsclusive dragon and dragon armor and a bunch of items. So from day one everybody will already be in some kind of armor they didn't earn with some dragon they bought from the cash shop and so on and so on.

I am not bashing the game it seems alot of people seem to like this model its just not for me, but you made some interesting points on the class and dragon system.

fair enough.. i just think people see 4 classes and freak out but this game offers more customization than a good majority of MMOs out there.. 

• kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565

Usually the problem with these "flexible class" games is that there's always a few specs that are just way beyond the others in term of efficiency, and thus not going for these basically means you're gimping yourself.

Imo a good exemple of this is Rift. As long as you solo or do easy content sure you can play around with your skills attribution, but if you wanna do endgame pve or pvp you have to go to the cookie cutter spec.

Originally posted by kikoodutroa8

Usually the problem with these "flexible class" games is that there's always a few specs that are just way beyond the others in term of efficiency, and thus not going for these basically means you're gimping yourself.

Imo a good exemple of this is Rift. As long as you solo or do easy content sure you can play around with your skills attribution, but if you wanna do endgame pve or pvp you have to go to the cookie cutter spec.

with how dragon training is setup and the sheer number of dragons and their abilities its going to be hard to even find the ideal "spec".. it really would take forever to try out and train everything

• TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605

...ya the dragons make and add differences to the classes.  Still i hear ya, seeing 54777655 players all running around with scyths like me didnt make me "feel l33t" 

I think the game has potental, but the cash shop stating you can buy armor and weapons that will help your character, just dont sit well with me.  I know you can get all that stuff in game too, but thats how I feel.....a pass on this game for me.

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

i have to agree with this i like a good amount of coice withen a set style of classes, when you give complete freeform char building you norm end up withe veryone takeing only the best, and ignoreing the things that are not on the top and basicly almot everyone has the same build with no real alteration in playstyle exept for the odd man out, who normally gets the short end oof the stick as a result.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

Originally posted by Squeak69

i have to agree with this i like a good amount of coice withen a set style of classes, when you give complete freeform char building you norm end up withe veryone takeing only the best, and ignoreing the things that are not on the top and basicly almot everyone has the same build with no real alteration in playstyle exept for the odd man out, who normally gets the short end oof the stick as a result.

difference like i said above is take Rift for example, you have tons of choices but all those choices are unlocked once you hit max level. This takes away from the customization and leads to people settling into "the best" spec. Since everyone can easily swap in and out of every ability and try anything with no real time invested.. in this game you need to train dragons to unlock everything and see the potential of any sort of combination. So its not so easy to just say grab a dragon and do this and you will be in best spec for whatever you are trying to do. There is a lot of time invested in building up any spec so this will make it very hard to impossible to just test every combination and say this one is stronger than that one.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

difference like i said above is take Rift for example, you have tons of choices but all those choices are unlocked once you hit max level. This takes away from the customization and leads to people settling into "the best" spec. Since everyone can easily swap in and out of every ability and try anything with no real time invested.. in this game you need to train dragons to unlock everything and see the potential of any sort of combination. So its not so easy to just say grab a dragon and do this and you will be in best spec for whatever you are trying to do. There is a lot of time invested in building up any spec so this will make it very hard to impossible to just test every combination and say this one is stronger than that one.

actully i think that could make it worse, sence after a few months o play people will basicly know what most of the stuff dose and builds will have started to form and since it takes time to make anyone build people will be more want to follow guides made by other people instead of try new thing for themselves.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

actully i think that could make it worse, sence after a few months o play people will basicly know what most of the stuff dose and builds will have started to form and since it takes time to make anyone build people will be more want to follow guides made by other people instead of try new thing for themselves.

really all depends how long they make it take to get a fully maxed out dragon and how unique all the abilites are.. you make it take some time to max a spec out and have a working combination of countless specs there really will be no "best" spec. I like this as it allows for people to make much more unique builds.. but well see how they handle progression when it gets closer to launch as its still pretty early to make any set judgments on the system

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888

I completely agree.  Seems like several mmos that have recently come out have decided to go roleless for characters.  Thinking GW2 and even TSW pretty much.  The problem is that games are evolving into a grey featureless mess for characters.  Sure you can customize but you end up with countless variations of the same thing so really little variation at all.  Everyone is a soloer role. 

Really I guess this is the influence of PVP.  Make all classes equal so there are no advantages in PVP.

Since EQ games classes have become less and less unique till they were only tank, dps, heal and now we are going to classless where everyone's the same...

In EQ you had real diversity, you had far more roles and each class had something unique they could bring to the table.  A group in EQ was far greater than the sum of it's parts because you had a diverse collection of abilities working together.

So when I hear the game is classless and everyone can be anything I think that means everyone will be the same.  Max dps with some healing and/or survival stuff.  Pure tanks or Healers might be possible but will likely be rarer then ever and most likely you wont' be able to identify them for grouping.  So random groups will be a nightmare with people that have no roles and only want to run in and dps solo style but in a group without much thought to strategy.  And PVE content will likely be equally simple to match the new simpler groups.

So this game is sounding more like a PVP game that will probably have sucky PVE content.  Especially end game content.

---
    Ethion

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680
    way to judge a game months before its even out let alone not having played it.
    some good info in how unique you can make your class through the differn't systems in the game and the dragons from the live stream that just went on

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    Typically I find the watered-down class systems of many modern MMOs to be a turn off.  However, I think it could be interesting in this game given the critical role of dragons in a character's customization.  Just because we prefer the trinity (or whatever system) doesn't mean there is no room for something different.  That said, if this does wind up being like GW2 or Rift where everyone can basically just do everything then.. meh.
  • NL-RikkertNL-Rikkert Member UncommonPosts: 134
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by DonY81

Most MMOs have basically 4 classes -  the three necessities for the trinity contrivance and the archer/engineer/pet class.

^ Indeed lol, do not see the OP's issue.

Either way yes 4 classes as of yet, and doesn't seem to likely they will add more, simply because there is no need for it.

1 Warrior/tank, 1 magic user, 1 ranger and 1 sort of a hybrid of warrior and magic.

Seriously what more do you need?

Some games have like 10 classes, but that's only becaue they seperate the trinity into multiple things.

Warrior becomes Barbarian,  tank & paladin..

Mage becomes Healer &  DPS

"Ranger" becomes melee assassin & archer...

Well great... like I give a damn? That's only more restrictive really. If you'd want a bit of a hybrid or say have a healer with a 2H, you my friend are insta screwed..

STOOPID
    When someone does something so utterly moronic that it kills your brain cells at the very thought of it.

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802
    all classes are DPS in this game.. but every class can play every role depending what dragons you have.. the whole class system is based around the dragons.. you basically pick what dps style you enjoy then can customize what role you enjoy by what dragons you tame and add to your collection.. it adds as much flexability as any class system with 10+ classes but without needing to play 10 alts.. i personally like the system gives you a ton of flexability on a single character without needing to make a ton of alts

you CANNOT depend on the dragon for anything as you cant really control it and it isnt out permanently. There is a sort of diminishing returns cooldown with having them out. When you summon one it is out for a specific amount of time and the more you summon it the shorter that time becomes. This is fine for solo content or trash but NOT for bosses. Also you cannot control what abilities a certain dragon has when you tame it, as far as I can tell its fairly random (perhaps partially random). So no.. the dragons do not add flexibility.. they add flavor.