Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any chance this falling in price any time soon?

Mad-E-FactMad-E-Fact Member Posts: 70

I played the beta and thought it was all right, but needed some time to mature and extra polish. I'd like to give it another chance now, almost a year later but I keep missing the free trial weekends.

What are the chances the game will fall in price to somewhere around 20 eurobucks some time soon? I only see keys for ~35€ atm which is a bit steep imo.

Comments

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    I wouldn't expect it any time soon. They've had a sale if I recall, but remember there's no subscription sucking money out of your wallet each month which makes the current price well worth the purchase.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• ichihaifuichihaifu Member UncommonPosts: 280
    The price isnt going to go down, all you can do is look for discounts.
  • VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

I would just buy it on-sale right now.

You'd probably have to wait for an expansion for the price to get even remotely close to that price. Maybe not even then.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• TofkeTofke Member UncommonPosts: 342

The 35€ is till the 26th so if you are interested I'd say buy now. Cause soon it's 50€ again.

I bought it after the trial, was always interested in the game but didn't want to fork out 50€. After finally trying it out and it being 35€ I went for it. Quite enjoying it and if I only get a few months out of it then the price is right atm :)

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    considering they rely a lot on that initial sale I don't see it going down too much anytime soon.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

Why would it drop in price? They don't get a monthly sub from the game and only a CS, which many people don't use. GW1 games have finally come down but they were the same price for many years.

The box price is how A.Net makes most of their money. Are you saying they should make less?

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

I think it's pretty unlikely this'll drop below 30€ in the next six months. After an expansion is released, the price of the original will go down, but they said there won't be an expansion this year.

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

Like everyone else said, if you're waiting for a lower price it won't happen - best to jump on the deal now before it expires.

The soonest I think it'll go on sale is a few months off for sure, if Amazon or GreenManGaming tries to compete with Steam's summer sale - but it won't be much cheaper than it is now.

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

Currently the price IS lower. It's still on sale...

https://buy.guildwars2.com/en/

Ends April 28th (4 days from now). 

Buy it while you can, if you enjoy it.  They only do these sales around 1weekend to 1week, every 2-3 months.

P.S.  With fact that this has no subscription at all, it's really worth it's $60 one-time price tag.  You'll get more than you money's worth in just the first month.

• JasonJJasonJ Member Posts: 395

Game is still selling too well for a perm price drop right now. Be glad it pops up on sale once in a while. The game topped 3 million in sales, when was the last time an MMO did that? WoW and GW1 is when.

Right now, this game is getting monthly content and some of it is big...that hasnt been done since Asherons Call. If you liked the game, get it on sale, dont wait for a perm price drop because that could take until X-mas.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Siphaed

Currently the price IS lower. It's still on sale...

https://buy.guildwars2.com/en/

Ends April 28th (4 days from now).

as stated,  GW2 is currently 30% off if you buy direct

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

Do remember it doesn't have a monthly fee. So at $35 your getting a crazy deal vs buying an older MMOG at sale price + expansions + 180 a year. Game is still selling really well so yea, don't expect a perminant price drop until first expansion hits probably.

• CitorCitor Member Posts: 8
    what i like about the game is not a monthly subscription,when you buy the game you don't either spend much money.  For the innovative game like this it's worht it :)
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    I don't think GW1 dropped in price very soon, so I wouldn't expect it of a game that's already sold around half of the copies of all the GW1 expacs combined (I think) in less than a year.
  • korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

It took ANET quite a while to drop prices on GW1 prophecies. Even after the 1st expansion went live it still didn't drop much up until they offered the 3 pack for 50€ if I remember right.

So if I were you I'd get it now for 35€ becuase if you want to wait for even lower price... I'd say you'll wait another year or so :P

or you can always go to the 3rd party sites and wait for their discount on GW2 (but I doubt the price will go lower than 30€ anytime soon)

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• Mad-E-FactMad-E-Fact Member Posts: 70

Thing is, I can play TERA for free right now without any restrictions before I decide to drop any money on it. Ditto many other MMOs. So obviously I'm reluctant to buy GW2 only to realize after a week that it's not my cup of tea after all.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    It's definitely worth buying right now.  I don't think it will go any lower any time within the next several months.
  • PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    Most kids in K-8 have 35 bucks in their back pocket, not really sure what price point you're looking for OP, a buck-fifty?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

The price will come down when there is an expansion so that the initial box purchase no longer gets you the full game.

As others have pointed out, this is buy to play, so they're relying heavily on the initial purchase for revenue.  That means they have to actually get a good bit of revenue from the initial purchase, rather than letting you get started cheaply and trying to extract most of the revenue from you later.

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114
    Originally posted by Mad-E-Fact

Thing is, I can play TERA for free right now without any restrictions before I decide to drop any money on it. Ditto many other MMOs. So obviously I'm reluctant to buy GW2 only to realize after a week that it's not my cup of tea after all.

Your original post was set during the game's Sale on their website, which started the Friday prior.  This was the same time that there was a massive Trial Weekend event, with keys from many sites (including this one, no less).  So, it's your lose that you missed out and didn't read up and participate to see if you wanted to drop the money on this game or not.

Many of the games you're referring towards are Free2Play titles.  This game is not like those; it's Buy2Play.   That is precisely why they don't have "free until level X" or other trial methods too often.   The game's quality is enough to keep customers, as is it's constant updates and so forth. 

Now, with tons of YouTube videos about, official videos off the website, reviews from dozens of media outlets, and many awards (including Time Magazine's overall Game of the Year) isn't enough to provide you with reason's to buy the game -even when on sale- then it's pretty clear you don't want to get this game should just pass on by, sticking with your Tera.

• KalestonKaleston Member Posts: 173
    Originally posted by Mad-E-Fact

I played the beta and thought it was all right, but needed some time to mature and extra polish. I'd like to give it another chance now, almost a year later but I keep missing the free trial weekends.

What are the chances the game will fall in price to somewhere around 20 eurobucks some time soon? I only see keys for ~35€ atm which is a bit steep imo.

If you want to get it cheap, you may try to get it from someone else who has stopped playing. This is however potentialy dangerous and strictly saying illegal. My friend bought such account for half a price though...

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    If not already on Steam you can bet it will drop in price as soon as it does appear on Steam.Most good developers have a plan and it would most likely revolve around months,so perhaps 3-6 months after release?You would probably also get some bonus item as well for buying from Steam.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by Wizardry
    If not already on Steam you can bet it will drop in price as soon as it does appear on Steam.Most good developers have a plan and it would most likely revolve around months,so perhaps 3-6 months after release?You would probably also get some bonus item as well for buying from Steam.

ANet placed GW1 and expansions on steam years after it went live and frankly I don't see GW2 on steam anywhere soon.. why would they split profit with steam anyways when they're doing fine with sales?

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Wizardry

I don't think GW2 will be on steam due to the cash shop, steam cash and steam taking a cut of the cash shop sales.

http://lifemutt.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/guild-wars-2-not-coming-to-steam.html

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders