Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Cathar Playable Race Preview

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    The Cathar NPCs in the game have a feline humanoid face. The cathar in this video have human face painted like cats. I call it BS.

• RazimusRazimus Member UncommonPosts: 128
    Out of all the races in the Star Wars universe they chose one I didn't know existed, great job! (that great job was sarcastic ala t&e). Seriously, I know this universe isn't in the time of the cantina in Star Wars Episode IV but seriously, when I think about the entire cantina I can't remember seeing a single cat person. Clearly pandering to cat-lovers, what's the next race, dog-people? I would've picked a million alien races besides this one.

--- Razimus

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

It's the fact subscribers have to pay at all to unlock this that is the killer and now the news the new barbershop will also require cartel coins (real money) to use, not impressed at all. If anything the Cathar should have been included with the ROTHC DLC not diced up and sold separate to make a quick buck.

• IkifalesIkifales Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Originally posted by Deeter
    Are they recording all new voices for the whole game for this race? No excuse if they don't record some same sex relation dialogue with various characters this time around

It's a sad day when one of the greatest IP's has been hijacked by activists.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by 4bsolute
    Originally posted by issling
    All the body types are the same. They could just add a thousand silly faces and it makes no difference.

Welcome to Game-recycling. Invented by Blizzard in World of Warcraft. How many models did they actually took over from one expansion to another? Countless...

I've posted so many threads on this back in the days in their forums, how I felt like I was fooled by their developers. I mean it was and is such an obvious source of laziness.

Horrible, if you ask me. No real artist in the world who works with his heart would tolerate such action.

How many races in WoW have the same charecter models/body types, just with different heads? Whats that you say, none?

Any chance to incorrectly throw WoW under the bus eh....helarious

kthxbye

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Like it. Unfortunately I already have 16 alts, 9 of them between 50 and 53 and rest up to lv. 40 ... but I'm not deleting old one to create Cathar. But in case they (hopefully) add some other class ... will gladly create Cathar to start from zero.
  • ErindornErindorn Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Additional races are way overdue.  The huge variety of species and races you see in all the Star Wars shows is one of the things that adds to the "epic" feel of the franchise- it's one of the things that makes Star Wars feel immense.  I hope they do more of this- the more character variety and customization options, the better.  It's one of the ways any MMORPG can feel bigger in scope.  I hope this becomes a regular addition in future patches and expansions.
  • Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158
    Originally posted by daltanious
    Like it. Unfortunately I already have 16 alts, 9 of them between 50 and 53 and rest up to lv. 40 ... but I'm not deleting old one to create Cathar. But in case they (hopefully) add some other class ... will gladly create Cathar to start from zero.

You can change your race to Cathar in the next update. No need to create another alt for it.

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372
    The most meh, not interested race possible to add, for me personally.  But I know quite a few peeps who will be happy to get to play Cathar, so rah rah. 

• wgc01wgc01 Member UncommonPosts: 241
    The game needs a lot more than a new skin that adds nothing to the game, I think TOR will never be much more than it is because of the Hero engine,  but hey if some think that a new skin that poops in a liter box will save it then rock on..LOL
  • CeleberegCelebereg Member Posts: 38

Cancelled today.  Game needs an overhaul.  Every core issue in the Definitive Issues thread has gone unaddressed, from 1-dimensional so-called story where you bounce from one stranger to the next for a go fetch it or go kill it task in a solo journey of NPC strangers, no ensemble cast, no depth or arc, to 1-dimensional crafting with no roles, proprietorships, merchanting, niches, to ... shallow mess.

Done.  Back to SWGemu.  Thoroughly disgusted with the lot of them.  Destroying yet another MMO (so-called) based on Star Wars.  Epitomy of inept.

• FaelsunFaelsun Member UncommonPosts: 501

Another reskinned human called a "race".

Maybe some more races that don't you know, look just like humans.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Total_Hunt

This is why Wookies won't ever be a playable race. They would have to redo all the VO and animations in the cut scenes.

not just the animations, I remember HUGE whines on the SWG forums from wookie players why certain armor models didn't show on wookies, like boots.....because when you think of wookies in Star Wars lore, you think of ewoks on steroids with long hair and no armor.

So you had the SWG devs think "why the h@II did we have to add wookies as a playable race?"

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Jimmy562
    Originally posted by daltanious

You can change your race to Cathar in the next update. No need to create another alt for it.

Did not know. But does not changes anything. I would never do such thing. When you have played so much some alt I can not imagine to change look or alike.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

Hello,

am I the only one who thinks those cats look ugly as hell and what's even worse, completely not like Star Wars? Those kittens look like mutated Kilrathi from Wing Commander I

Cheers

Doc B

• DevilmarioDevilmario Member Posts: 18

Its almost sad to watch this game.

Reskinned humans ...............Wow way to go Bioware way to go.

• mrrshann618mrrshann618 Member UncommonPosts: 279

Sorry to burst any person's bubble, but ANY playable toon is "just re-skinned".

Not sure what the difference is from EVERY OTHER GAME

Collision is no different no matter the skin. Targeting is really no different regardless of skin. Gear is no different regardless skin (with the grand exception of male/female gear skins)

So please, how is the introduction of the Cathar really any different than including Blood Elves?

Play what you Like. I like SWOTR, Have a referral to get you going!
    -->  http://www.swtor.com/r/nBndbs  <--
    Several Unlocks and a few days game time to make the F2P considerably easier
  • doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by mrrshann618

Collision is no different no matter the skin. Targeting is really no different regardless of skin. Gear is no different regardless skin (with the grand exception of male/female gear skins)

So please, how is the introduction of the Cathar really any different than including Blood Elves?

Are trying to imply that blood elves have the same charecter model and animations as Orcs, trolls, Toren, Undead, goblins, humans, dwarfs, worgen, night elves, Drania?....please stop with the insanly wrong WoW comparisons.

For all of WoWs flaws, race diversity is not one of them.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by Thane
    All the body types are the same. They could just add a thousand silly faces and it makes no difference.

totaly +1

I see your totally +1 and I raise you an absolutely +1

But seriously...I have seen this coming. I would imagine the next race would be Voss since they will also be easy to incorporate.

• SaxonbladeSaxonblade Member Posts: 275
    Originally posted by doodphace
    Originally posted by mrrshann618

Are trying to imply that blood elves have the same charecter model and animations as Orcs, trolls, Toren, Undead, goblins, humans, dwarfs, worgen, night elves, Drania?....please stop with the insanly wrong WoW comparisons.

For all of WoWs flaws, race diversity is not one of them.

or Night elves, humans, dwarves or gnomes.

Maybe if they actually put in class specific missions and such to this game they might make some progress on subs. I mean how awesome would it be to do BH missions even on NPC, or a distress signal fron a downed ship that needs rescuing etc. This game has so many basic design flaws that adding new races in small medium or large variety is the last thing this game needs.

• RoxtenRoxten Member Posts: 5
    Actually that would be even better than just adding some character with facepaint,a wookie is as original as star wars gets,a wookie would be a full body change and they even got their own language.

• boxfetishboxfetish Member Posts: 76

This^

Of all the races in the Star Wars canon they could have chosen.  They chose Cathar?  Really? Well, just another in a monstrously long list of bad calls made about this game, I guess.

• SaxonbladeSaxonblade Member Posts: 275
    Originally posted by boxfetish

This^

Of all the races in the Star Wars canon they could have chosen.  They chose Cathar?  Really? Well, just another in a monstrously long list of bad calls made about this game, I guess.

I know right, I mean who would want to play a wookieover a Cathar, are they even in the SW universe...............

/sarcasm off

• ShamorauShamorau Member UncommonPosts: 181
    If they want me to pay for it, which it looks like they do, then i would prefer they have 5-10 new races. its star wars for crying out loud. there should be heaps of available races. most already have the skins in game. Mon Calamari, Nautolan, rodians are just 3 that i can name off the top of my head. if not they should have released this with ROTHC like they said they would, instead of the blatant cash grabbing they are doing. over it.
  • KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    ahahaha another big fail from EA. this is not another race, its another face only. body types are the same with the current ones. anyway who cares...