Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Cathar Playable Race Preview

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Cathar race is the star of the latest video released for Star Wars: The Old Republic. In the next update, the Cathar will become a playable race. Check out the new video put out by BioWare and then let us know if you'll play as a Cathar.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• barasawabarasawa Member UncommonPosts: 618

Out of curiosity, I asked a lot of people what kind of 'race' they'd like to be added to an RPG that isn't already in that game. (I did not specify game) 

About 4 out of 5 people said some kind of Cat people. (Nekojin, Cat Folk, Homo Felidae, etc.)

So I never find it surprising anymore when cat people are put in any RPG.

Lost my mind, now trying to lose yours...

• isslingissling Member UncommonPosts: 162
    All the body types are the same. They could just add a thousand silly faces and it makes no difference.
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by issling
    All the body types are the same. They could just add a thousand silly faces and it makes no difference.

totaly +1

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821

Welcome to Game-recycling. Invented by Blizzard in World of Warcraft. How many models did they actually took over from one expansion to another? Countless...

I've posted so many threads on this back in the days in their forums, how I felt like I was fooled by their developers. I mean it was and is such an obvious source of laziness.

Horrible, if you ask me. No real artist in the world who works with his heart would tolerate such action.

• ksternalksternal Member UncommonPosts: 85
    Honestly what do you expect from the devs? Something actually worth while? If you do you are playing the wrong MMO.
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Originally posted by 4bsolute

Welcome to Game-recycling. Invented by Blizzard in World of Warcraft. How many models did they actually took over from one expansion to another? Countless...

I've posted so many threads on this back in the days in their forums, how I felt like I was fooled by their developers. I mean it was and is such an obvious source of laziness.

Horrible, if you ask me. No real artist in the world who works with his heart would tolerate such action.

yes everything is blizzard's fault. some company spends 150 million $ in a crappy game engine and that is blizzard's fault. some company tries to nickle-dime basic gUI feature like quickbars/hide head slot  and that is also blizzard's fault. some company can't even fix the bugs reported in beta testing and that is blizzard's fault. grow up man.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• DeeterDeeter Member UncommonPosts: 135
    Are they recording all new voices for the whole game for this race? No excuse if they don't record some same sex relation dialogue with various characters this time around
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

No, I would say welcome to software engineer ideas that were used back in the 50's.  Reuse was the great dream that has been pushed for decades.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Originally posted by waynejr2

No, I would say welcome to software engineer ideas that were used back in the 50's.  Reuse was the great dream that has been pushed for decades.

if that is the case then we should stop making games cause game playing is an idea established in 1885.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• Tabloid42Tabloid42 Member UncommonPosts: 200

Reuse only gets you so far.   I am in an industry where I've been hearing about reUsable "Libraries' of animation that studios can buy ,...lol,...and it's a failed joke.  Jobs are too specific for any generic animation clip to be used in any seriousness.

Thing is here,..SWTOR had this race models at launch,..they have a ton of other races at launch as NPC's,....so hot swapping geo and parading it around as something New and cool is sorta lame.    

Things may of worked in the 50's but today's audience is far more sophisticated for these tricks!

• Total_HuntTotal_Hunt Member Posts: 65

This is why Wookies won't ever be a playable race. They would have to redo all the VO and animations in the cut scenes.

Serously who could be excited about this? I bet some people will reroll just to have some silly new facepaint on their character.

• Yavin_PrimeYavin_Prime Member Posts: 233
    Originally posted by jesteralways

yes everything is blizzard's fault. some company spends 150 million $ in a crappy game engine and that is blizzard's fault. some company tries to nickle-dime basic gUI feature like quickbars/hide head slot  and that is also blizzard's fault. some company can't even fix the bugs reported in beta testing and that is blizzard's fault. grow up man.

I can agree with you here. I may not be a fan of blizzard and I may not really play there games but I respect the quality and polish they release more often than bugs and broken mechanics.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by jesteralways
    Originally posted by waynejr2

if that is the case then we should stop making games cause game playing is an idea established in 1885.

The point is bitch about it doesn't make sense.  It would be like you bitching about the sun coming up.  Let's move on.

In any case, I don't think this news is news worthy.  They don't have much going on IMO.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    This is a nice addition, however to those wanting more in the game, this is a lot of development for the same game. Its good that its finally developed, but where are the other features which are not about customization. Heck, even by giving more detail to customization i would consider another feature. This is nice but its like adding more armor sets to the cartel store. The color dye system is cool though. I want these devs to release the game making features and not complimenting features. People want something new that is more than a compliment to the game. I believe this is how people feel on this forum towards swtor. Yet, it will never have the sand box pvp, but that doest mean a large wz cant emulate that. That would be something they could add as a new feature amomg other possibilities.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• GatlanGatlan Member UncommonPosts: 141
    Originally posted by Total_Hunt

This is why Wookies won't ever be a playable race. They would have to redo all the VO and animations in the cut scenes.

Serously who could be excited about this? I bet some people will reroll just to have some silly new facepaint on their character.

With that reasoning I think Wookies would be the easiest to add.  All they need to do is recycle Bowdar's speech sounds and use subtitles.   I think the reason they wouldn't add Wookies is because they'd  have to create outfit skins.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    It's like.. putting a simple mask on in every other game. In SWTOR though.. it's a new race.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

I figured their new race would be something like this:

All sillyness aside, the new race looks like they put zabrak tattoos on rattattaki faces. Nothing new ;/

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by Roderan
    Originally posted by Total_Hunt

With that reasoning I think Wookies would be the easiest to add.  All they need to do is recycle Bowdar's speech sounds and use subtitles.   I think the reason they wouldn't add Wookies is because they'd  have to create outfit skins.

They already had alien playable characters in an early build of the game and after about 3 missions on tython , they said nope.

I originally was going to make a cathar but i would lose my one and only chiss , so Idon't think i will.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    I will probably make one cathar... though it will take my 22nd character LOL

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• KanuvaniKanuvani Member Posts: 33
    Don't you have to pay like $10 to unlock it, for subs and $20 for no subs?
  • ComputerJuiceComputerJuice Member UncommonPosts: 25

Thundercats! Hooooooe!

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by Kanuvani
    Don't you have to pay like $10 to unlock it, for subs and $20 for no subs?

I think it's going to be 600 CC so it is less than $6

From Dulfy's website:

Cathar, a playable species announced last year, will be introduced in SWTOR Game Update 2.1 as as a cartel coin purchase.

• Unlockable via the cartel market for cartel coins (600 cartel coins) . You can convert either an existing character or reroll a new character.
    • Unlock is account wide rather than just legacy wide (i.e. applied to all servers, all your legacies)
    • Available to all eight classes (both factions)
    • Both male and female
    • Cool new fur patterns, new hair styles
    • Great social emote for your Cathar pride
    • Trooper companion Aric Jordan will be have his appearance adjusted to bring him inline with the new Cathar models. He will be utilizing the new fur technology and better reflect how Cathars will look.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by ComputerJuice

Thundercats! Hooooooe!

Damn it..  You beat me to it lol

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• Wraith0Wraith0 Member UncommonPosts: 46
    I do not see the point ofa new race, the races do not have any special things going on.  Each race is a mere palette swap of Human.  I really dislike the new trend of MMO races just being palette swaps, I miss the old days when races had bonuses and character.
  • mogi67mogi67 Member UncommonPosts: 69
    Of all the races in the Star Wars universe that players would be familiar with, they chose the cathar? Are you joking?