Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beta NDA Temporarily Dropped

Comments

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by jskeets916
    Originally posted by Laughing-man
    <snip>

This will be my last response to you because your actually doing exactly what your accusing me of, convincing yourself this game is anything other than a game in phase 2 beta which you know nothing more or less about.  When did i say anything about sand box? or that sand box is better/worse? You are literally just making things up.

Because he stated he liked WoW that = WoW endgame huh? Some pretty astounding logic

And now your bringing up Aion as a comparison? You clearly have a regional bias again making things up whats that have to do with anything?

You lost all validity when you stated "What is the difference between rerolling a toon and switching to a lvl 1 white mage? There isn't one"

You must have some hidden agenda or never played the series before, for example my lvl 6 pugilist in 1.0 could utilize both my lvl 50 archer and lvl 50 lancer's abilities and the armoury system is staying... so there is a huge difference because someone else's pug will not have abilities like in 1.0 such as raging strike for more dps, invigorate for extra tp, etc.  Nothing like WoW or SWTOR meaning there is a HUGE difference between rerolling a ton and not.  So when you are mad why japanese players rick roll you and through content faster its because you fail to understand the basic dynamics of this game.

And NDA is still in place you can't read comprehensively if you think otherwise because of a press release or a statement for a japanese event lifted certain info for a couple of days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j45x9ranFH0

xD

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • gandlesgandles Member UncommonPosts: 84
    i like ff, but im sick of playing the same content in everyone of these betas, guess ill wait for open or even release.
  • NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    i have played through New Gridania 2 times now over the past few weekends.. imho it's one of the most boring intro areas I have done in a MMO in awhile.. maybe i play these games to much I dunno but it was basic fetch and kill x quest.. nothing particularly interesting to me.. graphics are good no real complaints there...hopefully they have plans for later builds of beta to make this a more fleshed out area and if this is really the "improved" version of the game i'm very glad I never experienced the original release of it. Also unfortunatly it's about as bad as Tera when it comes to the "zoo" feeling of the first questing area.. just hordes of mobs sitting around for no purpose to be slaughtered.. was hoping for something a bit more from this game.. hope it gets a lot better in the later zones

Yeah, I have to agree.

The starting area is absolutely gorgeous, but it's dull as hell. I'd say it's hugely improved compared to v1.0, but unfortunately it seems the devs played way too much WoW.

It may be fantastic at later zones, but I'm afraid the boring start will scare off lots of players, so that they won't even get a taste of that before they're gone.

• jskeets916jskeets916 Member Posts: 154
    Originally posted by Netspook
    i have played through New Gridania 2 times now over the past few weekends.. imho it's one of the most boring intro areas I have done in a MMO in awhile.. maybe i play these games to much I dunno but it was basic fetch and kill x quest.. nothing particularly interesting to me.. graphics are good no real complaints there...hopefully they have plans for later builds of beta to make this a more fleshed out area and if this is really the "improved" version of the game i'm very glad I never experienced the original release of it. Also unfortunatly it's about as bad as Tera when it comes to the "zoo" feeling of the first questing area.. just hordes of mobs sitting around for no purpose to be slaughtered.. was hoping for something a bit more from this game.. hope it gets a lot better in the later zones

Yeah, I have to agree.

The starting area is absolutely gorgeous, but it's dull as hell. I'd say it's hugely improved compared to v1.0, but unfortunately it seems the devs played way too much WoW.

It may be fantastic at later zones, but I'm afraid the boring start will scare off lots of players, so that they won't even get a taste of that before they're gone.

Luckily thats 1/3 of the starting zones so players have a little more choice in the matter.

I'd recommend Limsa for someone interested in a more engaging starter zone, Gridania was the black sheep in 1.0 lol.

Square Enix is serious about people not breaking NDA on FFXIV Landscapes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1JKAyxk9cs

(obvious joke).

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
    Originally posted by jskeets916
    Originally posted by Netspook

Yeah, I have to agree.

Luckily thats 1/3 of the starting zones so players have a little more choice in the matter.

I'd recommend Limsa for someone interested in a more engaging starter zone, Gridania was the black sheep in 1.0 lol.

I actually enjoyed the Ul'dah starting zone the most.  It was also the most lively city on my server (player wise).  xP

• AlucardlbAlucardlb Member Posts: 83
    ended up calling the starting city Grind Dea to give you a idea about this game
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Alucardlb

yea early combat is a bore.. way to few abilities even at level 14

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Originally posted by Alucardlb

It's pretty damn boring, I agree. 45 minutes of fed ex quests is not the way to get me to want to continue playing an MMO. 

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670

Voice acting and the main story cut scenes are omitted in teh beta so that it doesn't spoil the release.  Many things are omitted and there are only placeholders.

The current beta is probably 10% of the game.  For those of you who like to judge a book by its cover, please go back and play games in the starting levels and tell me how wonderful it was.  I'm sure you want to be fighting 200 foot dragons as a lvl 1, but mmo's and especially rpgs don't work that way.  You start easy, and it becomes a grand journey in the end, or else the journey isn't worth it.

I remember raiding in Wow.  Raiding was nothing like lvl 1-49.  At 5o it became a different game, if I judged any game at the starting BETA Zone for god's sake, I would never play any game.

For those of you who want "epic" content from lvl 1, you will be bored at end game because you'll say to yousrelf "This is not different than lvl 1, what a waste of time."  GW2 ended up being like that for me.  Great starting zones, great leveling up content and then I got to 80 and said..."huh, the combat is teh same as lvl 1, ad teh content is the same as lvl 1, what's the point of playing, I already experience it."

I've seen the type of content that yoshi-P can create from FFXIV 1.o.

We have beastmen open areas with FATES (Dynmaic events, public quests, rifts etc)..... Said zones spawn Primals depending on which stronghold you're at (Cobalt, Ixali, Amaljaa, etc.).  We have 2  raids with 24 members.  We have pvp in the form of battlegrounds and coliseum.  You have chocobo pets that can be customized to fight with you.  You have player housing.  You will have Golden Saucer from FF7 and maybe even a card game from FF8 and 9.

There is so much to look forward and if you guys can't see the forest through the trees, your loss.   Regardless, we'll accept you with open arms when you come back to realize that this was the FF we were all hoping for.

Don't let the beginning levels of a BETA!!! (that is purposefully limited) get you down.  The leveling is fast so going from 1-50 on your first character will only take a few weeks.  Why worry about a part of the game where you won't even spend that much time on it... 90% of your mmo life is spent end game.  Some mmo's arn't designed that way... FFXIV ARR is, so go into knowing what you're getting into.  

I for one, am very excited about the future.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by ZizouX

Voice acting and the main story cut scenes are omitted in teh beta so that it doesn't spoil the release.  Many things are omitted and there are only placeholders.

The current beta is probably 10% of the game.  For those of you who like to judge a book by its cover, please go back and play games in the starting levels and tell me how wonderful it was.  I'm sure you want to be fighting 200 foot dragons as a lvl 1, but mmo's and especially rpgs don't work that way.  You start easy, and it becomes a grand journey in the end, or else the journey isn't worth it.

I remember raiding in Wow.  Raiding was nothing like lvl 1-49.  At 5o it became a different game, if I judged any game at the starting BETA Zone for god's sake, I would never play any game.

For those of you who want "epic" content from lvl 1, you will be bored at end game because you'll say to yousrelf "This is not different than lvl 1, what a waste of time."  GW2 ended up being like that for me.  Great starting zones, great leveling up content and then I got to 80 and said..."huh, the combat is teh same as lvl 1, ad teh content is the same as lvl 1, what's the point of playing, I already experience it."

We have beastmen open areas with FATES (Dynmaic events, public quests, rifts etc)..... Said zones spawn Primals depending on which stronghold you're at (Cobalt, Ixali, Amaljaa, etc.).  We have 2  raids with 24 members.  We have pvp in the form of battlegrounds and coliseum.  You have chocobo pets that can be customized to fight with you.  You have player housing.  You will have Golden Saucer from FF7 and maybe even a card game from FF8 and 9.

There is so much to look forward and if you guys can't see the forest through the trees, your loss.   Regardless, we'll accept you with open arms when you come back to realize that this was the FF we were all hoping for.

Don't let the beginning levels of a BETA!!! (that is purposefully limited) get you down.  The leveling is fast so going from 1-50 on your first character will only take a few weeks.  Why worry about a part of the game where you won't even spend that much time on it... 90% of your mmo life is spent end game.  Some mmo's arn't designed that way... FFXIV ARR is, so go into knowing what you're getting into.  

i don't really agree with that.. in any game I played beta that I ended up playing at retail there was always something in the beta that set the game apart.. something that made the game stand out over the other sea of MMOs out there.. just have not seen that in this game at all yet.. also some games you do fight huge massive beast at level 1 its called gw2 heh.. anyway I do agree its a bad idea to judge a game as a whole from only a very small piece of it but i also think its important to make a good first impression on people.. if i play a MMO and 15 levels in it feels the same as every other MMO out i think that is a problem.. i don't have a TON of time to play these games and only can really focus on a couple at a time so it needs something to grab me and want me to play.. hoping the next phase of beta shows me more than I have seen so far..

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Nobody's judging the entire game based on beta. We're judging the starter area which happens to suck ass. 

• jskeets916jskeets916 Member Posts: 154
    Originally posted by simsalabim77

Nobody's judging the entire game based on beta. We're judging the starter area which happens to suck ass. 

Huh well fair enough i'd prefer my devs to have more of a mindset of the endgame long term progression, thats why i played FFXI for 8 years even tho the starter area you auto-attack wasps and sit there, or even WoW or any successful MMO i've played.

Its the times after building up my character with my comrades and venturing into sky for the first time and being challenged by the devs to utilize every skill i had attained up to that point, as opposed to the starter areas that tickled my pickle.

I think by the grossly negative statements already drawn from not just beta, but the first 50% of the beta phase is judging a book on its cover, maybe first chapter?

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670

My personal observation has been that the game has been met very favorably by a vast majority of beta players.  The only ot issue is that the community is deeply devided on whether they like the combat.  Some like, some don't.

Other than that, I think everything else is on track for smooth release.

• striderbobstriderbob Member UncommonPosts: 174
    I'm disappointed there is no ass slider in character creation, all the race's females have serious pancake ass. Squeenix needs to get there priorties straight.
  • Snowdon_CloudripperSnowdon_Cloudripper Member CommonPosts: 584
    The only thing i am going to say here is . Assume all you want about the Beta. If you are not in and want to keep talking about things that are not fact , and are not even close to what you think then by all means keep sounding like a bunch of arses. ( this is to the Wow clone comments mostly ) To the beta testers keep a lid on things and let the haters talk and the trolls troll and the Wow fan boys be Wow fan boy we know the truth and know how things are going . All i will say is wait. Good things come to those who wait. 

http://absoluteretribution.enjin.com/ Guild Website and Recruitment link

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

Beta is for testing core elements, Yoshi has already told players to stop playing beta if they are getting bored, to use the beta as a taster or trial is wrong on so many levels.  The reason for NDA is obvious from reading this thread.

NDA was lifted to only talk about character creation and discuss the changes in Gridania from 1.x to ARR.  Anything else is still under NDA.

You guys need to calm down. People know that it's only beta and aren't judging the entirety of the game based on it. NDA was lifted and I figured it'd be nice to talk about what we could, but of course it turned into the FFXIV defense force taking every single bit of negativity and turned it into something it wasn't. 

WE KNOW IT'S BETA. We know it's going to change. We're not judging the entire game based on character creation and Grid. Just because the starter area is boring does not mean the entire game will be terrible. I haven't seen a single post in these 7 pages that judged the whole game based on this very brief glimpse into Grid. I know the FFXIV fanbase is hypersensitive to negativity, but don't twist someone saying, "The starter area is boring" into "The entire game is awful" because I haven't seen a single person say that. 

You guys need to calm down. People know that it's only beta and aren't judging the entirety of the game based on it. NDA was lifted and I figured it'd be nice to talk about what we could, but of course it turned into the FFXIV defense force taking every single bit of negativity and turned it into something it wasn't. 

WE KNOW IT'S BETA. We know it's going to change. We're not judging the entire game based on character creation and Grid. Just because the starter area is boring does not mean the entire game will be terrible. I haven't seen a single post in these 7 pages that judged the whole game based on this very brief glimpse into Grid. I know the FFXIV fanbase is hypersensitive to negativity, but don't twist someone saying, "The starter area is boring" into "The entire game is awful" because I haven't seen a single person say that. 

NDA is not lifted, try some reading comprehension.

Originally posted by Cod_Eye

NDA was temporarily lifted for Grid and character creation. If they didn't want people talking about it somewhere besides the Nico Nico event, they should have been way more specific, but the announcement specifically says the confidentiality provisions were dropped for character creation and Grid. 

NDA was temporarily lifted for Grid and character creation. If they didn't want people talking about it somewhere besides the Nico Nico event, they should have been way more specific, but the announcement specifically says the confidentiality provisions were dropped for character creation and Grid. 

It was specific, but your thread title is misleading as only specific points can be talked about.  And if your so enthusiastic on talking about ARR then use the official Beta forums, anyone who isnt in the Beta can't discuss it because they have no idea what to discuss.

It was specific, but your thread title is misleading as only specific points can be talked about.

DId you read the OP or did you just read the title and decide to post? I didn't see a way to edit the title, so I edited the OP. 

Everything from phase 2 is open for discussion. Videos, images, sound. etc is not allowed to be posted. I've tested since the start of phase 1. 

If you have questions, post em' and I will try and answer them to the best of my ability. Please do understand that we only have access to one area of the game, so plenty of things can, and likely will change, but I figured for those that are interested, I can give you a general idea of where the game is headed. 

edit: Turns out I should have read the announcement a little closer. I can talk about character creation, and the starter area. So, no specifics on dungeons or combat later in the game it seems. 

yes I read the OP. and no you cannot discuss the starter area. only Gridania.

Everything from phase 2 is open for discussion. Videos, images, sound. etc is not allowed to be posted. I've tested since the start of phase 1. 

If you have questions, post em' and I will try and answer them to the best of my ability. Please do understand that we only have access to one area of the game, so plenty of things can, and likely will change, but I figured for those that are interested, I can give you a general idea of where the game is headed. 

edit: Turns out I should have read the announcement a little closer. I can talk about character creation, and the starter area. So, no specifics on dungeons or combat later in the game it seems. 

yes I read the OP.

Oh, look there. What's that green text at the bottom of the post say? 

Did you read the edit at the bottom of the post? Sorry for mistakingly thinking that people would actually read the whole OP. 

The starter area is called Gridania. Have you ever logged into the beta?

yes I read the OP.

Oh, look there. What's that green text at the bottom of the post say? 

Did you read the edit at the bottom of the post? Sorry for mistakingly thinking that people would actually read the whole OP. 

The starter area is called Gridania. Have you ever logged into the beta?

Gridania as in the Town, not south, north and east shroud.  And as I said before why don't you discuss it inside the official Beta forum, non Beta players have nothing to discuss.