Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Camelot Unchained: The Final Countdown for a Kickstarter, and an Industry

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by chaintm

I will say it over and over, developer bible, i don't think it exist and that translated to a bad kickstarter. I WANTED to like this CU concept but it just wasn't clear enough or had real hard set goals. Just basic ideas and what it "might" have or "what we the devs want to have" , nothing concrete.

To me and I am sure many others, to back a kickstarter there has to be something there to  back., use my sig as a perfect example of "how to" do a good kickstarter.

not sure how people don't understand though its "kickstarter" one term you can take literally.. it was designed to get projects "started".. i really don't expect anything more than a lot of good ideas to get me to want to fund a kickstarter.. you also, depending on how much you put in, get the chance to help with the very early development process in many of these game which is an added bonus for a lot of people. I personally think its usually a bit counter productive to show tech demos and such as they normally looks pretty "rough" and hardly ever show anything close to what the final game will look like

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• ego13ego13 Member Posts: 267
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

I will say it over and over, developer bible, i don't think it exist and that translated to a bad kickstarter. I WANTED to like this CU concept but it just wasn't clear enough or had real hard set goals. Just basic ideas and what it "might" have or "what we the devs want to have" , nothing concrete.

To me and I am sure many others, to back a kickstarter there has to be something there to  back., use my sig as a perfect example of "how to" do a good kickstarter.

not sure how people don't understand though its "kickstarter" one term you can take literally.. it was designed to get projects "started".. i really don't expect anything more than a lot of good ideas to get me to want to fund a kickstarter.. you also, depending on how much you put in, get the chance to help with the very early development process in many of these game which is an added bonus for a lot of people. I personally think its usually a bit counter productive to show tech demos and such as they normally looks pretty "rough" and hardly ever show anything close to what the final game will look like

When you already have a team, have money, have a developer, and have an idea, it shouldn't be a challenge to come to the table with more than "ideas".  I would COMPLETELY respect that they came there with nothing if they were nobodies, if they had no team, etc..this was NOT the case.

This KS has been carried by a big name (MJ) the WHOLE time.  Even Shroud of the Avatar had an ACTUAL game to show, and they had a name behind it also, which is why it ACTUALLY FUNDED.  If he had all this money to invest INTO the game and the faith it would have succeeded he should have invested it first....let them build SOMETHING to show...then KS'd it.

Obviously he didn't have that much faith in it, though, and only wants to invest in his "baby" if there's little to no risk.  This is another reason why I wouldn't back it...not even the developer himself is willing to back it until he sees it fund.

Just because every car has similar features doesn't mean that Ferraris are copies of Model Ts. Progress requires failure and refining.

• augustgraceaugustgrace Member UncommonPosts: 628
    Originally posted by vinland
    Have any other mmo's funded on kickstarter? I'm curious because perhaps the reason CU isn't doing as well as other kickstarters with less information is because in general people may be less inclined to pledge to an mmo as the market has been rather lackluster for years. (my opinion of course)

Pathfinder Online is probably the biggest mmorpg to fund on KS.  $307k for the first KS for tech demo, then just over a million for the KS.  But for that second KS they gave themselves a month and a half rather than 30 days, had the tech demo and funding based off the demo from investors, and the second KS was really just to try and add more content and speed up development.

Probably would have been much smarter for MJ to do 2 KS'ers, or at the very least give the KS 60 days.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Cirin
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

When you already have a team, have money, have a developer, and have an idea, it shouldn't be a challenge to come to the table with more than "ideas".  I would COMPLETELY respect that they came there with nothing if they were nobodies, if they had no team, etc..this was NOT the case.

This KS has been carried by a big name (MJ) the WHOLE time.  Even Shroud of the Avatar had an ACTUAL game to show, and they had a name behind it also, which is why it ACTUALLY FUNDED.  If he had all this money to invest INTO the game and the faith it would have succeeded he should have invested it first....let them build SOMETHING to show...then KS'd it.

Obviously he didn't have that much faith in it, though, and only wants to invest in his "baby" if there's little to no risk.  This is another reason why I wouldn't back it...not even the developer himself is willing to back it until he sees it fund.

how do you think he is paying for all the time and effort all his employees are putting into this game right now and just to get this KS going? you honestly think he doesn't already have a large chunk of money invested into the game? He has already stated he was not sure if this type of game would be something enough people would get behind has nothing to do with faith in his game. I could have the best idea in the world for a game in my head but unless enough others think its great then its pretty pointless. KS is a great way for him to feel out how many would be interested in the project and he said he would put in a lot if it funded.. Who is to say the game will be a success even if it funds? what if it tanks? then he's out a lot of money again so not sure how you can say that's "safe" in any shape or form.

Also shroud had a rough alpha build which to me did it more harm than good because it looked pretty awful as many pre-alpha builds look.. but shroud had richard and the type of game appealed to a MUCH larger audience that's what it did well.  I funded shroud based on the ideas he presented not because of some very rough raw footage

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by Mkilbride

Camelot Unchained, The Lighthouse in a Bleak Ocean

If you follow OnRPG you may have heard of a little project I’ve been backing since the early days of its announcement. From the proverbial dark ages for Fantasy MMORPGs came a shining light when one of the Pre-WoW Innovators of the online gaming industry emerged from his retirement to announce a title so full of risky untested features, major publishers like EA wouldn’t touch it with a ten foot pole. I’m talking about Mark Jacobs and his newest venture, City State Entertainment, now finished with their mobile title and ready to push the limits of what defines an MMORPG with Camelot Unchained’s kickstarter goal.

So tell me, does it make me a hero to put my money behind a project I truly believe in for my personal enjoyment? Not in any way. But if someone who doesn’t even want to play Camelot Unchained sees the bigger picture and throws a small donation behind it anyway… then something bigger than ourselves begins to occur. This game has the power to make a statement. To change everything. To bring back gaming communities the way they were known in the late 90s and early 2000s. A return to indie studios like the original Mythic Entertainment forged by 80s style game devs uniting to accomplish their vision of fun. The original Cryptic Studios formed by two guys that just “wanted to do an online role-playing game… with superheroes.” Risk takers like Origin Systems that will put their company name on the line for an untested experiment like Ultima just because a handful of developers knew they could make it work. CCP games that weren't daunted when everyone said copying World of Warcraft was the only way to make it in the online world, and stuck to their SciFi guns until it paid off.

Read the rest here:

http://www.onrpg.com/articles/editorial/camelot-unchained-the-final-countdown-for-a-kickstarter-and-an-industry/

Really inspiring article and well done. Gets your blood pumping!

Very well said!

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

If you follow OnRPG you may have heard of a little project I’ve been backing since the early days of its announcement. From the proverbial dark ages for Fantasy MMORPGs came a shining light when one of the Pre-WoW Innovators of the online gaming industry emerged from his retirement to announce a title so full of risky untested features, major publishers like EA wouldn’t touch it with a ten foot pole. I’m talking about Mark Jacobs and his newest venture, City State Entertainment, now finished with their mobile title and ready to push the limits of what defines an MMORPG with Camelot Unchained’s kickstarter goal.

So tell me, does it make me a hero to put my money behind a project I truly believe in for my personal enjoyment? Not in any way. But if someone who doesn’t even want to play Camelot Unchained sees the bigger picture and throws a small donation behind it anyway… then something bigger than ourselves begins to occur. This game has the power to make a statement. To change everything. To bring back gaming communities the way they were known in the late 90s and early 2000s. A return to indie studios like the original Mythic Entertainment forged by 80s style game devs uniting to accomplish their vision of fun. The original Cryptic Studios formed by two guys that just “wanted to do an online role-playing game… with superheroes.” Risk takers like Origin Systems that will put their company name on the line for an untested experiment like Ultima just because a handful of developers knew they could make it work. CCP games that weren't daunted when everyone said copying World of Warcraft was the only way to make it in the online world, and stuck to their SciFi guns until it paid off.

Read the rest here:

http://www.onrpg.com/articles/editorial/camelot-unchained-the-final-countdown-for-a-kickstarter-and-an-industry/

Ok being enthusiastic about an idea is one thing, but positioning it as the lynch pin that could potentially shut the door on all indie development is pushing it. First of all, how many small mmo indie companies do you think will shoot for a 2 million dollar kickstarter goal for their first project or even have a big name developer? Especially when they are only looking for such a small playerbase of 50k subs? That is a VERY small drop in the bucket for any mmorpg and definitely not a attention getting number if you're looking to change the industry. But more importantly Mr. Jacob has personally told me and countless others that this is NOT OUR FIGHT. How you might say? By acknowledging right out the gate that:

It was made clear from day 1 by Mark that he isn't designing it for everyone. This article is directed at the fence sitters, the MMORPG industry enthusiasts, and even the luke warm backers that put some money down but haven’t mentioned it to others.

What if those fence sitters, MMORPG enthusiasts and luke warm backers are taking what Mr. Jacob said to heart? I consider myself a MMORPG enthusiast. But why should I stand behind a idea, with money, that is only trying to cater to 50k harcore RvR players? Like I said, I'm a enthusiast, but I'm not one dimensional. I don't have a problem buying something I've tried (or seen) because I like a large range of different mmos. But, when you throw around ideas like no PvE progression (even for leveling), stealth mechanics that incorporate this veil world instead of trying to keep players in the world where most of the fighting will be taking place, a potential PvE dungeon with no exp or loot drops and a exstensive crafting class and system that could be nothing more than a virtual punching bag for other classes... Yeah, things like that create lots and lots of fence sitters and luke warm backers.

But the real gem of that piece was this number:

If you’re reading this and have been watching the MMORPG industry as closely as I have, you know what I’m saying is reality. Camelot Unchained is an anomaly in an industry that's become filled with recycled ideas and dying profits. If it funds successfully (through a miracle at this point), it will show that the strength of the MMORPG community still stands together strong enough to overcome the bottom line power of the 1%. Of the NCSofts. Of the EAs. If it fails well.. Nexon knows they’ve won. Perfect World Entertainment will continue acquiring smaller talented studios to improve the gaming mill of releases. Jack Emmert will walk around gaming conventions looking like a zombie as he interviews gaming press like us with a paid smile on his face.

But how can you want to rally an entire MMORPG community when you're only trying to appeal to and please 50k players? Because last time I checked, the MMORPG community is fast approaching 20 million players world wide and the winds of change are already starting to shift with games like:

• The Repopulation
    • Archeage
    • Black Desert
    • EQNext
    • Divergance Online
    • Orgins of Malu
    All on the horizon. If CU doesn't fund it won't be the end of indie mmo developers, but it might be the end of rock star developers seeking to change the industry through Kickstarter.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• TigsKCTigsKC Member UncommonPosts: 187

Read the rest here:

That was an excellent article.  Thanks for sharing it.

• DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479
    Originally posted by Ramonski7

Read the rest here:

Ok being enthusiastic about an idea is one thing, but positioning it as the lynch pin that could potentially shut the door on all indie development is pushing it. First of all, how many small mmo indie companies do you think will shoot for a 2 million dollar kickstarter goal for their first project or even have a big name developer? Especially when they are only looking for such a small playerbase of 50k subs? That is a VERY small drop in the bucket for any mmorpg and definitely not a attention getting number if you're looking to change the industry. But more importantly Mr. Jacob has personally told me and countless others that this is NOT OUR FIGHT. How you might say? By acknowledging right out the gate that:

It was made clear from day 1 by Mark that he isn't designing it for everyone. This article is directed at the fence sitters, the MMORPG industry enthusiasts, and even the luke warm backers that put some money down but haven’t mentioned it to others.

What if those fence sitters, MMORPG enthusiasts and luke warm backers are taking what Mr. Jacob said to heart? I consider myself a MMORPG enthusiast. But why should I stand behind a idea, with money, that is only trying to cater to 50k harcore RvR players? Like I said, I'm a enthusiast, but I'm not one dimensional. I don't have a problem buying something I've tried (or seen) because I like a large range of different mmos. But, when you throw around ideas like no PvE progression (even for leveling), stealth mechanics that incorporate this veil world instead of trying to keep players in the world where most of the fighting will be taking place, a potential PvE dungeon with no exp or loot drops and a exstensive crafting class and system that could be nothing more than a virtual punching bag for other classes... Yeah, things like that create lots and lots of fence sitters and luke warm backers.

But the real gem of that piece was this number:

If you’re reading this and have been watching the MMORPG industry as closely as I have, you know what I’m saying is reality. Camelot Unchained is an anomaly in an industry that's become filled with recycled ideas and dying profits. If it funds successfully (through a miracle at this point), it will show that the strength of the MMORPG community still stands together strong enough to overcome the bottom line power of the 1%. Of the NCSofts. Of the EAs. If it fails well.. Nexon knows they’ve won. Perfect World Entertainment will continue acquiring smaller talented studios to improve the gaming mill of releases. Jack Emmert will walk around gaming conventions looking like a zombie as he interviews gaming press like us with a paid smile on his face.

But how can you want to rally an entire MMORPG community when you're only trying to appeal to and please 50k players? Because last time I checked, the MMORPG community is fast approaching 20 million players world wide and the winds of change are already starting to shift with games like:

• The Repopulation
    • Archeage
    • Black Desert
    • EQNext
    • Divergance Online
    • Orgins of Malu
    All on the horizon. If CU doesn't fund it won't be the end of indie mmo developers, but it might be the end of rock star developers seeking to change the industry through Kickstarter.

That's being generous to be honest.

It's more like ridiculous hyperbole.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    If anything it shows that RVR is finally dead, a thing of the past. There aren't a lot of backers for the Kickstarter and that should tell you something right there. Also most players want to see the game in action before they pledge money. Having none of that is a deal breaker for many. You have to have some sort of demo, ideas alone just won't cut it.
  • TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    If CU doesn't get funded, the industry will just keep chugging along as it always has. 
  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Teala
    If CU doesn't get funded, the industry will just keep chugging along as it always has. 

If CU does manage to get funded, the industry will just keep chugging along as it always has. 

edited to fix typo :P 

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

If CU does manage to get funded, the indistry will just keep chugging along as it always has. 

Agree and agree :)

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

CU is insignifcant to the industry.  It only matters to those who want to play it.

Ridiculous topics like this probably dissuade more people from pledging than persuading them.  

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Most problems MMOs currently have are related to lazy devs but CU devs are ultralazy, selling just their thoughts. If CU gets funded we'll see a lot of other devs too lazy to make even a demo when asking for money.
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

CU is gonna change the world with it's niche audience! Anyone else think Mark Jacobs talking about wanting a niche audience is just a way of covering his ass if it fails? Oh, we always expected the player base to be small.

That article was a little too dramatic for my tastes. CU isn't that innovative. It's DAOC with half of the game missing.

• NavekNavek Member UncommonPosts: 71
    Originally posted by Normandy7
    If anything it shows that RVR is finally dead, a thing of the past. There aren't a lot of backers for the Kickstarter and that should tell you something right there. Also most players want to see the game in action before they pledge money. Having none of that is a deal breaker for many. You have to have some sort of demo, ideas alone just won't cut it.

Again in the same thread, Strawman srguements, if one kickstarter from a small indie company fails how does that equate to RvR being dead, stupid arguement with no foundations. Explain the money spent on and success of GW2, TESO for example.

• NavekNavek Member UncommonPosts: 71
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

If CU does manage to get funded, the industry will just keep chugging along as it always has. 

edited to fix typo :P 

Both statements are equally true tbh.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

CU is insignifcant to the industry.  It only matters to those who want to play it.

Ridiculous topics like this probably dissuade more people from pledging than persuading them.  

It's amusing to read people's delusions though :)

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• I support CU, but this article is overly dramatic.
  • MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643
    Lol, I knew if I posted this article, MMORPG would come in to ruin what is an awesome piece by OnRPG.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Tierless

So, are all of you happy with how the industry currently functions?

Do all of you like the last 5 AAA mmos we were given?

Are all of you content with the current process to produce a MMO?

How is this relevant to CU?

All of this has nothing to do with Camelot Unchained.

People dont seem to realize:  Camelot Unchained is just one game.  Has EvE changed the industry?  No it has not.  An Indie game with a niche audience that is the second buggest subscription MMO in the west.  Only the extremely naive believe CU would change anything.

To pledge or not pledge CU should only be based on this:  Do I think CU will be great to play and do I have confidence Jacobs can deliver?  And that question Im not going to comment on here

At least the last few AAA MMOs havent been WoW clones (GW2, TSW), and we will have the big reveal coming in August of what we know is a AAA sandbox, of the genre's signature franchise.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

People dont seem to realize:  Camelot Unchained is just one game. 

People need to see the larger picture here. With the large profile failure of SWTOR and other AAA MMORPGs, if smaller scale MMOs like CU and Darkfall and Pathfinder, pushing original ideas and smaller niche focus, start having long term growing success, it with help encourage more studios to do the same, instead of constantly using publishers to reskin WoW.

This is the first time an MMORPG veteran has come back to the genre they helped create to try to make an MMO like they used to make back in the golden age of the industry. And after 8 years of garbage AAA MMORPGs that, if they're lucky, have ONE tiny new feature, I'm ready for a niche MMO that isn't trying to clone WoW, and has tons of fresh ideas.

Originally posted by DavisFlight

People dont seem to realize:  Camelot Unchained is just one game. 

People need to see the larger picture here. With the large profile failure of SWTOR and other AAA MMORPGs, if smaller scale MMOs like CU and Darkfall and Pathfinder, pushing original ideas and smaller niche focus, start having long term growing success, it with help encourage more studios to do the same, instead of constantly using publishers to reskin WoW.

This is the first time an MMORPG veteran has come back to the genre they helped create to try to make an MMO like they used to make back in the golden age of the industry. And after 8 years of garbage AAA MMORPGs that, if they're lucky, have ONE tiny new feature, I'm ready for a niche MMO that isn't trying to clone WoW, and has tons of fresh ideas.

Except that not all publishers are always trying to reskin WoW.  Open your damn eyes.  Like the game or not, GW2 certainly is nowhere close to WoW reskinned.  EQNext has been announced as being a sandbox.  trion just released a PvE-centric MMO shooter.

And its most certainly not the first time an MMO veteran has come back to the industry.  Except the last time was a huge failure (Vanguard). 

And there have always been indie games.  From EvE to Ryzomm to Darkfall and MO.  There are upcoming indie games like The Repopulation.   Attaching any sort of industry wide importance to CU is ridiculous.  Personal importance, of course, is a different story.  

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

This is kind of ridiculous. CU is not going to change the industry. Even supposing the game does get made, based on the number of people pledging money, it's a sub 20k player game. The number of players in the industry is millions, or hundreds of millions.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.