Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Developer names make you NOT buy/play a game?

Comments

• drekxdrekx Member Posts: 4
    Pretty much won't buy, period
    • EA
    • Activision
    • Blizzard
    • Ubisoft
    • Sega

Will buy, assuming the genre is interesting

• Paradox
    • Valve
    • Stardock
  • PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559

I dont have any company blacklisted at all, so far every single developer I bought from delivered a fair amounth of entertainment, some more then others but Ive always had my money's worth time wise.

When I see a mmo/game that looks apealing to me , I look into it open minded, still may end up not buying it but the publisher/developer never been a reason to pass it up for me so far.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Reklaw
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

None.

I buy/play games, not dev names.

Any dev can make a good game, or a bad game. Whether i play or not depends on the game, not the developer.

Fully agree....

Sorry OP but I just don't understand how gamers can make these type of topics.

I don't either. I suppose some are emotional about their gaming?

I played Dead Space and had a lot of fun. I wouldn't care less if EA publishes it for the money, for domination of the world, or for bringing happiness to the world. I gave them my money not because of their intentions (which i would care less), but it is a fair trade.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Turbine, Cryptic and ArenaNet.  I was so disappointed with GW2 it saddens me a lot since i been a loyal player and fan of their from the original game for 5+ years.  Turbine and Cryptic are just plain awful. 

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    Sounds like most of you guys are only able to play Indy games, eh?  How in the world can you have lists that long?  Every Dev and Company is going to make a decision you dont like at some point.  Sheesh!
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Mark Jacobs.

If this were about companies, my list would be significantly longer.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

CCP, promise tons, deliver none

Mark jacobs since he has a lot of money and still asked for more

whoever developed Darkfall (just another sandbox deathmatch clone)

Square Enix, because in the year 2050, we will by then have over 100 final fantasy games. Thats all they can make. They cant make anything else but FF clones of themselves.

Those are off top of my head

Pretty much any indie dev. I do occasionally like singleplayer indie games (rarely), but MMO wise, there are none. All indie MMO devs can make are sandbox deathmatch clones. The only exception is Ryzom, the only single sandbox PvE MMO. But the company who owns it now is shit.

I much prefer AAA MMO companies (and AAA game companies in general). Release far faster, MUCH better graphics, way better content and like my favorite FPS, Call of Duty...it is released every year. I hate waiting 5+ years for a game to come out, so I always have a Call of Duty game to play. And AAA MMOs release far faster and their launches are (mostly) far better than indie MMO launches.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

I am not so much for individual developers for not buying a game, but rather companies.

So companies which I would not buy an MMORPG from are:

1. Cryptic - STO must be the worst ST game I have ever played, and an MMO of that. Also, Champions Online was worse than CoH, which was actually pretty good. In any case; their MMORPGs are shallow and over-instanced so never buying one from them again.
    2. EA - This is a no brainer. The number of IPs and studios they have wrecked is astounding. Never, ever buy an EA game again.
    3. Turbine - I was an Asheron's Call 1 fan and also a Lord of the Rings fan. To see a company which created the best ever sandbox in Asheron's Call, make such a shitty. linear, shallow ThemePark of Lord of the Rings was probably my biggest dissapointment for a game, ever. Therefore, I am not touching any more Turbine games.
    4. SOE - They killed SWG and have been churning out pretty shitty MMOs for the last decade or so. They might redeem themselves with EQ Next but I am sceptic.
    5. StarVault - Mortal Online was one of the biggest dissapointment ever. Bug ridden mess of a product which shoud have never been released. No way in hell I touch anything from them again.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Cryptic.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• lolunaticlolunatic Member Posts: 108
    Cryptic.
  • AcorniaAcornia Member UncommonPosts: 275

SoE or anything with the Sony name on it

EA will buy nothing with the EA name on it

Trion on watch, think very hard at least 10 times before buy anything else from them over the very poor PC version of Defiance

Will not play any game from a company that uses one site to log into all thier games (battle net, steam, SoE).  Over 3 million account infos/credit card info stolen when the login site was hacked.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

I'll buy and give pretty much any mmorpg a shot if it seems interesting to me. But when a single developer wants to put his/her name front and center ahead of any project he/she may have spearheaded, it annoys the sh!t out of me. Not saying I won't play anything that person may have had a hand in, but a little bit of modesty goes a long way in my book.

It's like someone building a entire home and sitting back and telling you:

"Yeeep! I couldn't have built this house without that hammer! Man! that hammer sure was handy! Boy, I'm telling you brother, if you're going to build a house like this, you better get that hammer! Damn! I don't know what I would have done if I didn't have that hammer!"

And I'm thinkin...Well of course you need a f--cking hammer bro! But damn was that the only tool you had? You need more than a damn hammer to build a house.....sheesh! Get a freakin grip!

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

Cryptic and Funcom.

Leary of a lot of others.

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

Cryptic and Funcom

Neither have produced anything worth playing in my book. City of Heroes was great the first month before the nerf waves hit but that's the only positive thing that has to be said about Cryptic. Others may disagree but In the end It's my time and money so their opinions on that matter is null and void

I think it's very valid to take the people behind a game into account. If they are notorious for bad design decisions post launch then that's something I have to take into account. When I play MMOs I make an investment. I'd hate for that investment to be shat on by incompetence

• DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479
    Originally posted by topographic

McQuaid, Smart, and Jacobs.

EDIT: Heh, I just realized it sounds like a law firm. That explains a lot.

Can you imagine a single game being developed by the three of them ?

The ego explosion would result in blood within the first week.

• AcorniaAcornia Member UncommonPosts: 275
    Dahkont    I would expand it to McQuald, Smart, Jacobs and Smedly.  If you want a ego battle royal in building a game.
  • Dexter2010Dexter2010 Member UncommonPosts: 244

Street, Appleton,

EA

NCSoft/Anet

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

well, I'm looking more for publisher (may be i'm wrong) as sometime publisher can kill good game. Here I must point GameForge as worst to me.

play? why not if it free or free to try, after we'll see.

buy? nothing really!
    my last disappointment came from GW2 + so far I see many games (and some I've bought) became f2p or free to download pretty fast, so why bother to buy anything anymore, at least before try.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Snail, Aeriagames, webzen etc

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    • Snail
    • EA
    • Bioware--Including those devs and leads that were hyping SWTOR Daniel Erikson, James Ohlen, Gabe Amatangelo etc. Anything that they are associated with I'll never play.
    • NCSoft
    • Trion
    • XLGames
    • Funcom
    • Adventurine

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• WylfWylf Member UncommonPosts: 376
    Originally posted by Yamota

I am not so much for individual developers for not buying a game, but rather companies.

1. Cryptic - STO must be the worst ST game I have ever played, and an MMO of that. Also, Champions Online was worse than CoH, which was actually pretty good. In any case; their MMORPGs are shallow and over-instanced so never buying one from them again.
    2. EA - This is a no brainer. The number of IPs and studios they have wrecked is astounding. Never, ever buy an EA game again.
    3. Turbine - I was an Asheron's Call 1 fan and also a Lord of the Rings fan. To see a company which created the best ever sandbox in Asheron's Call, make such a shitty. linear, shallow ThemePark of Lord of the Rings was probably my biggest dissapointment for a game, ever. Therefore, I am not touching any more Turbine games.
    4. SOE - They killed SWG and have been churning out pretty shitty MMOs for the last decade or so. They might redeem themselves with EQ Next but I am sceptic.
    5. StarVault - Mortal Online was one of the biggest dissapointment ever. Bug ridden mess of a product which shoud have never been released. No way in hell I touch anything from them again.

In truth never paid much attention to developers. But am very interested in WHY y'all listed the names you did. Some replies like Yamota’s above gave reasons; it makes the discussion much easier to understand.

• ChuChuTrickChuChuTrick Member UncommonPosts: 27

SoE and McQuaid for Vanguard SoH.

EA games pretty much for everything they've ever done.

On the fence with:

Bioware, Dragon Age 3 will decide this.

Blizzard, Titan will decide this.

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805
    Originally posted by Wylf
    Originally posted by Yamota

In truth never paid much attention to developers. But am very interested in WHY y'all listed the names you did. Some replies like Yamota’s above gave reasons; it makes the discussion much easier to understand.

You could always ask the individuals in question. I'm sure you would get an answer

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    Originally posted by Tayah
    • Snail
    • EA
    • Bioware--Including those devs and leads that were hyping SWTOR Daniel Erikson, James Ohlen, Gabe Amatangelo etc. Anything that they are associated with I'll never play.
    • NCSoft
    • Trion
    • XLGames
    • Funcom
    • Adventurine

why xl? they have literally done nothing yet outside of korea, much less anything that you could have experienced. i don't ask to defend them, just to see what your grievance is since i have heard nothing about them or their game in ages.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    I think I'm done with anything Mythic is involved in.