Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just watched the series...

Comments

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

When your show has worse actors, story, and special effects than the concurrently running season of Power Rangers, you just need to give up.

Not that I dislike Power Rangers; I've enjoyed Megaforce so far. Stupid mid-season hiatus...

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by simsalabim77
    Originally posted by Yamota
    I thought it was pretty decent for a Syfy original. Seems a little harsh to judge it based on two episodes. I thought Firefly sucked ass the first time I watched it, but it grew on me, and I ended up loving it. 

I dont agree. Good series grabs you from the very start. Spartacus, Walking Dead and Game of Thrones all started great and in the case of Spartacus, ended even greater.

Granted those are not sci-fi and its a shame we cant get one with the same quality as other type of series. Dont think a good sci-fi show have been done since Babylon 5, over 10 years ago.

Battlestar Galctica? If you tell me it was crap, then I really have nothing else to say to you as our tastes in sci-fi are completely opposed. 

It was alright but I didnt like the dream sequences of Baltar and most of the actors, except Olmos and McDonnel were pretty bad and some, like Grace Park, were just awful. Some of the episodes were really bad as well, like one where Kara managed to fly a Cylon ship and used her foot (!) to close some hole in the hull.

So the series had its moments but many bad one's as well.

Well then, we'll just agree to disagree. You sound like my wife.

Her:

"That's ridiculous. That couldn't ever happen."

"I feel emberassed by how terrible the acting is."

"That dialogue made no sense."

Me:

"Will you please STFU so I can watch this guy have a fight with some lasers."

Well a "fight with some lasers" is not what I would qualify as a good sci-fi show. Atleast not exclusively so. Babylon 5 had a good plot, lots of combat and decent set of actors. Galactica had some good actors and the base storyline was good but everything else was bad or just plain weird.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Its better than 95% of the crap on TV today........
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    I thought it was pretty decent for a Syfy original. Seems a little harsh to judge it based on two episodes. I thought Firefly sucked ass the first time I watched it, but it grew on me, and I ended up loving it. 

I dont agree. Good series grabs you from the very start. Spartacus, Walking Dead and Game of Thrones all started great and in the case of Spartacus, ended even greater.

Granted those are not sci-fi and its a shame we cant get one with the same quality as other type of series. Dont think a good sci-fi show have been done since Babylon 5, over 10 years ago.

Battlestar Galctica? If you tell me it was crap, then I really have nothing else to say to you as our tastes in sci-fi are completely opposed. 

It was alright but I didnt like the dream sequences of Baltar and most of the actors, except Olmos and McDonnel were pretty bad and some, like Grace Park, were just awful. Some of the episodes were really bad as well, like one where Kara managed to fly a Cylon ship and used her foot (!) to close some hole in the hull.

Well then, we'll just agree to disagree. You sound like my wife.

Her:

"That's ridiculous. That couldn't ever happen."

"I feel emberassed by how terrible the acting is."

"That dialogue made no sense."

Me:

"Will you please STFU so I can watch this guy have a fight with some lasers."

Well a "fight with some lasers" is not what I would qualify as a good sci-fi show. Atleast not exclusively so. Babylon 5 had a good plot, lots of combat and decent set of actors. Galactica had some good actors and the base storyline was good but everything else was bad or just plain weird.

Like I said, we'll agree to disagree. 

I'll just leave you with this amazing battle scene from Babylon 5. 

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Considering the amount of money spent the make up jobs are cheesy, and lazy.  The aliens are more human than alien. The acting ya lol, a B movie from the 70's would be better than what I watched. 

Basicly it was the Eureaka story line, father and daughter come to town and set up shop all over again, with the expection of Eureaka was better. 

• XxGrimmxXXxGrimmxX Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Originally posted by erictlewis

Considering the amount of money spent the make up jobs are cheesy, and lazy.  The aliens are more human than alien. The acting ya lol, a B movie from the 70's would be better than what I watched. 

Basicly it was the Eureaka story line, father and daughter come to town and set up shop all over again, with the expection of Eureaka was better. 

How do you know what aliens look like?

Originally posted by XxGrimmxX

Well considering they are aliens, i.e. not from Earth, one would wager they would look quite different as they would not share any of the same genes end evolutionary path of humans.

• XxGrimmxXXxGrimmxX Member UncommonPosts: 223

Well considering they are aliens, i.e. not from Earth, one would wager they would look quite different as they would not share any of the same genes end evolutionary path of humans.

That's a flawed argument. You can't say whether or not the evolutionary path would stray too far from what we look like now.

• XirikXirik Member UncommonPosts: 440

Such a dissapointment. Wooden acting, cheesy dialogue and nonsensical story. Also it seems that it is catered towards lower teens as the violence was very mild. 

Still might try the game but not watching the series.

You watched the whole series?! MAN ARE YOU FROM DA FUTURE!  imageimage

"You have some serious mental issues you may need to seek some help for. There are others who post things, but do not post them in the way you do. Out of every person who posts crazy shit in this forum, you have some of the craziest and scariest" -FarReach

• psypoisonpsypoison Member UncommonPosts: 17
    i liked the show first 2 episodes was really good to me but then again i like the game to.
  • tifalockharttifalockhart Member UncommonPosts: 72
    enjoying the show and still enjoying the game :)

Waiting For:Archeage
    current:Guild Wars 2
    past: EQ, EQ2, Planetside, SWG, Matrix Online, Ultima Online, WoW, CoH/CoV, Tabula Rasa, Pirates of the Burning sea, AoC, Eve Online, Startrek Online.Fallen Earth, Champions Online, SWTOR

That's a flawed argument. You can't say whether or not the evolutionary path would stray too far from what we look like now.

What? Why could I not be able to say that? They were not evolved on Earth so they cant possibly follow the same evolutionary path.

Similar? Who knows, for that you need to know the mechanics of how life is created and evolves on planets different than Earth. In any case, considering that animals on earth look quite different, even though they share the same evolutionary ancestry, species from different paths altogether would most like look even more different.

Originally posted by Xirik

Such a dissapointment. Wooden acting, cheesy dialogue and nonsensical story. Also it seems that it is catered towards lower teens as the violence was very mild. 

You watched the whole series?! MAN ARE YOU FROM DA FUTURE!  imageimage

Yes, because I have to watch the whole series to comment on it. image

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953
    I am a huge sci-fy fan and I agree with the OP, the acting is well.. there is none and the plots are sad. This was a failed deal at the start. Stargate, Battlestar and more, these are things they should be looking at again.

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

How can a show with vampires in it be bad?

or are they elves? leaning towards vamps

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

OK the story line was the Botan's show up, there like a bunch of different sub races.  All but 2 are huminiod in apperance.  The vouldge and that one that looks like a rip off from planet of the apes. 

The came the used tera forming machines on the earth to create a new environment,  well if your humanoid you don't need a new environment.   So that right there don't make since.   

Then all thier high teck space ships get blown up, and the basis is that the debree from this ships fall on earth call an ark fall.  Well the botans kicked our rear , tera formed our cities, so who blew up the space ships.  

Yea bad plot line all around,  and as far as what they look like well I the ones that look like they are albino, yea worst make up effect ever, lol lets get in the pool with beeds covering up vital part areas lol. 

Annd who says alies have to look like huminiods one would think if they needed a new tera formed plaent they would not be human in nature. 

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    So I guess the show and the game are deemed mediocre?  Apparently that doesn't stop people from talking about them, and that's what it's all about. lol
  • TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

To be honest, the only way to fully judge a series is to watch it from beginning to end. A great series can start off slow but gradually build in excitement and quality of story as you get more emotionally invested into the characters. Likewise, a series that can start out great and exciting can flounder and get boring. The wire is, in my opinion, a series that started off boring and then got more and more interesting. Likewise all of the CSI shows start off interesting and then fall off so incredibly fast once the ridiculous dialogue and plot twist occur. 

In today's world, tv producers and network executives know how competitive airtime and viewership is. They need tv scripts to be very exciting from minute one, hence why walking dead, game of thrones, and Spartacus started off with a bang. That's not to say that they aren't great series, but there definitely is an emphasis on convincing today's viewers that from minute one, they should stick with this show because it will be entertaining.

But, a series can still start off slow and end up being great. Patience is a virtue.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

The series has to be like that...if it's actually good ScyFy(Stupidest name ever) will cancel it....

Yes I am a bitter Alphas and Eureka fan. 8)

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805
    Originally posted by Drakynn

The series has to be like that...if it's actually good ScyFy(Stupidest name ever) will cancel it....

Yes I am a bitter Alphas and Eureka fan. 8)

Alphas had horrible ratings. If you want to blame somebody then blame people for not tuning in. There's no reason a network should hold on to a money pit of a show. They are not in the charity business

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

Well the alien race, Volge, marching on the town was further in appearance than the others that have been shown. Most of the ones that veer too far off the path apparently are savage creatures like the monster wolf/insects (which may have been a result of the changes on Earth) in the woods at the start of the pilot.

If the next episode has hellbugs as someone said, there is a nice example of an alien with a society that is opposed to the others.

No appearance yet of http://en.defiance-wiki.com/wiki/Gulanee Quite different.

• SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045

um its actually more entertaining that 90% stuff on tv now, i always cringe when people call bad acting out of blue, go outside, look at your friends, look at other people interacting , you woulld facepalm and realize just how stupid our interactions are , and those are not acted

not much wrong with acting in defiance , everyone is different , episode 2 was great tbh, someone said most of it was talking, well 99% of shows are talking, heck supposedly best show on tv right now, game of thrones is just talking , you got one hour show ( not including advertising ) and you are lucky if there is atleast 5 mins of action ( add 5 mins talking inbetween action and you get 10 at very best )

fringe was sci-fi, as someone who watched all the seasons i still can say it was mediacore  repetative and bland

walking dead didnt start good, it was never actually good, it was about zombies so everyone just started watching, its ok, first season was best, and third one is by far worst

people need to realize that our expectations are never gona be met and y ou should have realistic ones , out of 50 games i will be happy that i like one, out of 50 tv shows ill be happy to like couple

oh and probably most underated and least know  tv show, "Suits " is practically only talking, well any none scfi show is only talking, what a stupendous argument , yet that show is so good first season is just spectacular , oh ye and your precious "acting " is flawless

• zerocountzerocount Member UncommonPosts: 200

You have maybe watched two episodes not the series! 

Personally I rather enjoyed it but hey ho, each to their own.

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796

Considered the fact that human life actually came from matter in space via meteorites, I think it's a safe bet to assume that other sentient life would look similiar to us.  You have the variation of the planets like gravity, oxygen content, heat levels.  But any planet as capable as ours of sustaining life would be fairly similiar.

Don't any of you guys watch the science channel?

EDIT:  I'm enjoying the show.  You have to assume the first few episodes are going to tell a lot of back-story and include lore.  Judging a series by the first couple episodes is moronic.

The only exception was the two vehicle scenes.. muh God.. that was bad CGI.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

In the series you can clearly tell the "actors" from the "cast".

There are actually only very few actors in the show...