Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Terrified of putting money into a game

MirariMirariMirariMirari Member UncommonPosts: 47

IVE SPENT $80 ON NEXON TRYING TO GET LUCKY FOR RARE ITEMS. xD Now I'm like, I could of just waited and bought stuff slowly. But some people spend litterally 100's into gaming, and since I've been reading about MMO Scams I'm terrified, so then I'd rather use a gamecard.

Ive heard "avoid this game like a plague" and other things like, they scam you for your money and dont even do anything to help so yeah

Idk I just want other peoples opinions.

I really don't know what to put here.

Comments

• GnawnsenseGnawnsense Member Posts: 1

I have very limited experience with F2P gaming. 

I've tried out a few of the major AAA subscription games that made the transition. Out of those companies, most of them (SOE excluded, for me) have a fairly good reputation, and I felt okay when making smaller purchases in the cash shop.

But these kind of worries, and issues, are what keep me away. I'd also like to see some more feedback in this regard, just because with F2P being praised so much more the last year or two, there has also been much more talk about shady business practices. Curious how many individuals have actually experienced it or been a victim of it.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    This is why a lot of people prefer subscription or buy-to-play rather than a pay-to-win item mall.  That makes it completely clear how much it will cost to play a game and what you'll get.  Any time you buy a random box in any online game, you're encouraging more games to utilize them.  I boycott random boxes on general principle, even if I like the game.  I'm not against paying for games that I like, whether it's subscription, buy-to-play, or free to play with an item mall.  I just won't pay for random boxes.
  • LissylLissyl Member UncommonPosts: 271

I'm not sure which game you're referring to.  Did you post in the right forum?

That aside, I'm highly leary of any 'chance' products.  There's literally no reason not to adjust the rates on the backend in response to how well/poorly a drop rate is working out and there's literally no way to know that it has been done.  My RNG luck is practically non-existant as it is, the last thing I need is someone tinkering with the drop rates because 2 people got lucky early on, especially for the often-outrageous sums of money being asked for in the first place.  I guess my trust quotient sits somewhere around 0%. =)

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    I just won't pay for random boxes.

This, if you want a pixel sword or mount for $20 and you think it is worth it then fine, but to spend money on the chance of something is just gambling with no real money win possible.

• MirariMirariMirariMirari Member UncommonPosts: 47

My friend has great luck with random boxes, he's gotten almost all the rare items they hold

makes me jelly xD

• GrahorGrahor Member Posts: 828

A fool has disposable money. A fool is separated from his money. Hard-working Job Creator (the owner of the mmorpg in question) receives fool's money; jobs are created; some programmer is fed for the month; Job Creator buys himself some solid gold pisspot or a new trophy wife; literally a win-win situation for everyone. Including the fool.

Don't see the problem.

• pantheronpantheron Member UncommonPosts: 256
    I've played a lot of P2W games. You don't have to put  all that much money into  them to see the whole game, you just won't  be the best. ever. no chance. don't even try. if you want to be on equal footing as other people, there are other options. that being said, there are SO MANY people who try to get to the top on no money, that something like 100 bucks can easily put you over 90% of the player population, or on equal terms with them. There are the lucky few, like my girlfriend, who currently has as close to  top armor as there is in Perfect World for her Assassin, and she's spent  a grand total of 0, with 10 dollars in cash shop currency that I gave her for her birthday the time it came around and I knew her. there are a lot of really high quality P2Ws that don't exclusivly use the lockbox method, and you can usually get pretty far  for not a lot of money. 

I play MMOs for the Forum PVP

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by StarlightSuki

IVE SPENT $80 ON NEXON TRYING TO GET LUCKY FOR RARE ITEMS. xD Now I'm like, I could of just waited and bought stuff slowly. But some people spend litterally 100's into gaming, and since I've been reading about MMO Scams I'm terrified, so then I'd rather use a gamecard.

Ive heard "avoid this game like a plague" and other things like, they scam you for your money and dont even do anything to help so yeah

Many here are vets and like I they use nothing but prepay, came cards, and or paypal. These are pretty much the only safe ways to handle purchases in these games. 

Even decent companies can blunder like Turbine recently did. Others like Star Vault intentionally try to get extra money from you (When MO officially launched people were automatically setup for recurring subscription fees whether they had willfuly chosen a plan or not and whether they had canceled prior to that or not lol). 

The methods above... 

1) Limit how much can be accidentally or purposefully taken from you. 

2) Give you a solid means of a refund. 

3) Prevent your CC from being black listed if any company attempts to.

Paypal has the best refund policy and it tends to be pretty fast. There are multiple ways to add money to your account  and you can put as little or as much as you want in there making it one of the most versatile methods. 

game cards limit how much you can be charged. 

Prepay CCs can be time consuming when attempting to get a refund but are fairly solid about it. You can have as much or as little as you want on there (Depending on the card you go with, some have minimum balances and fees). Its very easy to replace. If your CC happens to get black listed or w/e for a couple of bucks you got a new one without much hassle. 

Charge backs and refunds become a very real option with the above, the exception being the game cards. 

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

What you are doing is gambling.

Gambling is not healthy.

Once you realise you don't really need those items and stop gambling you'll have a much better gaming experience. The problem you are having will go away if you manage to get over your unhealthy habit.

If you are still going to gamble.. at least do it somewhere with the chance to win some real money back.. not virtual items that have a real world redeemable value of 0.00.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • GrahorGrahor Member Posts: 828

My friend has great luck with random boxes, he's gotten almost all the rare items they hold

makes me jelly xD

Words like this completely justify, for me, "gambling" model of getting stuff in mmorpgs. People who think like this get exactly what they deserve.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by MayuiMimi

It seems that if you just avoid the chance and gambling features you'll be fine. If you have trouble avoiding those, then that's another issue altogether. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

augh gambling, hate that word but yeah I basically am, alot of people are, atleast I'm not betting 1000.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Hopefully for you lesson learned.

Only few things I might pay for is box or digitial full game and subfee and expansions. I have played some F2P games but with those games it only matters if I am having fun playing the f2p part. If I am and there is no subfee cost to get acces to the full game then I keep enjoying the F2P part aslong it remains fun to me. But if it's F2P and only gives me acces to  most the things I like by using a cashshops then it just aint the game for me.

• NailzzzNailzzz Member UncommonPosts: 515

My issue is even when you invest tons of money into a game and then they change the game in ways that ruin it for you. I did this with GW2. $400 down the drain when they added an ongoing gear treadmill with loot you can only get from one dungeon as opposed to being able to do what you want in game and still get the best loot. I even looked past how they managed to make 3 way open world faction pvp, pointless by hiding player names.

Oh well, lesson learned. Now i hardly spend anything on any game i play.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Generally speaking the safest bet right now is probably to go for games that are B2P.  With F2P and P2P you have to do a lot of research least you will either waste a lot of money or a lot of time and money.  But people have different values when it comes to games.  I've spent tens of thousands of dollars on P2P games since around 1997 in keeping active accounts for Ultima Online, FFXI, FFXIV and WoW since they started (multiple accounts with WoW and then box prices and expansions for all the games along with their extra accounts).  Those are just the games I stuck with, there are many others that I bought and played for maybe six months before putting down after I got my fill.

Now I no longer have access to these games that I've spent 3,000+ each on because I need to reactivate the monthly fee since my characters are basically held for ransom and I've been renting the games this whole time.  It's a good lesson not to rent furniture as well.  Heh!

Aside from that, there is usually a chance that a game will shut down eventually regardless of the payment model.  But try not to let that be a deciding factor if there is a game out there than you genuinely enjoy, as you may miss out on it an any potential friends that you could have made during it.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329
    augh gambling, hate that word but yeah I basically am, alot of people are, atleast I'm not betting 1000.

"at least I am not betting 1000." is rationalization that you use at yourself to ease your 'pain'.  You propably don't like it and that's proapbly why you created your topic. 

Stop making excuses and stop playing games in wchich you gamble / feel like you want to gamble.

meh...

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

F2P is fine.  Just don't play slot machines (even if they're disguised as regular games.)

When a game provides you with genuine enjoyment, be generous.

When a game hasn't provided you with fun, be stingy.

As long as people pay according to the fun factor of the game, and don't get suckered into slot machines, we'll continue to see a rise in the quality of F2P gaming.  Personally I've spent very little on F2P MMORPGs (EQ2 I think may have been my only spend) and very little on pay2win games, but a ridiculous sum on balanced F2P games (LoL, Smite, Tribes.)

The games follow the money, so pay for the types of games you want to see thrive.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329
    meh...

Okay. Keep spending, keep playing and keep whining then.

• MMObroMMObro Member UncommonPosts: 97
    i play sub games ONLY
  • SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045

ops post doesnt even make sense, not sure to what people are replying,

op is clearly in early teens, not sure whos money hes wasting too

what scams, real money scams?  never been mmo that scamed people, Thats not how industry works, just crazy talk for old people like my mom " WHY DID YOU ENTER THOSE DETAILS WHAT TO DO NOW, CAN I CLOSE THE WINDOW,BUT MY DETAILS ARE THERE BLBLABLABLA "

random chance scams ? maybe low percentage can be called scam, maybe you just need to grow up and earn your own money to waste on horrible games

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by RefMinor
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    I just won't pay for random boxes.

This, if you want a pixel sword or mount for $20 and you think it is worth it then fine, but to spend money on the chance of something is just gambling with no real money win possible.

I won't pay for random boxes. But i have no problem if others want to do so. After all, even if it is gambling, it is their money, not mine. Plus, if they play the same game as me, they are likely to subsidize my gaming. So all good.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by MMObro
    i play sub games ONLY

Yup, I'm the same.

If your mmorpg isn't good enough to justify a sub, I'm not interested.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by MMObro
    i play sub games ONLY

and i play F2P games ONLY.

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911

I seriously don't understand the attraction of FTP games, particularly if you have money to spend. For the most part they are poorer quality or in the past they have been sub games that did poorly that they changed the model.  Unlike sub games, the content of F2P games can revolve around the customer parting with their money. Slow XP, changing the probability of quality loot and unlocking some content is designed in such a way that it seems appealing to part with your cash.

I prefer sub, purely because I know that content will be based around gameplay and I know that nobody gets special treatment. I can also sit back and enjoy the game without worrying about being tempted to get an XP potion or unlocking a dungeon or buying a fancy sword. The f2P model can become a distraction with their countless offers and can become a barrier between you and the game. If I want a fancy sword, I earn through the game.