Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just watched the series...

YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Such a dissapointment. Wooden acting, cheesy dialogue and nonsensical story. Also it seems that it is catered towards lower teens as the violence was very mild. 

Still might try the game but not watching the series.

Comments

• aj62896aj62896 Member UncommonPosts: 8
    It also heavily rips off Battlestar Galactica.
  • XxGrimmxXXxGrimmxX Member UncommonPosts: 223
    You must not watch much Scyfy movies if you're surprised by this.
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by XxGrimmxX

Well you're right but the trailer looked pretty good so I was expecting more.

Originally posted by Yamota

Well you're right but the trailer looked pretty good so I was expecting more.

Yeah anything Scyfy does is like that.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Yeh it's basically Wyatt Earp in the future.  However, there are a few hot alien women on the show.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• Cosmonaut79Cosmonaut79 Member UncommonPosts: 175
    I'm on the fence myself, but I think I will keep watching it.  Hellbugs will make their debut Monday, which I'm excited for.
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    I thought it was pretty decent for a Syfy original. Seems a little harsh to judge it based on two episodes. I thought Firefly sucked ass the first time I watched it, but it grew on me, and I ended up loving it. 
    Originally posted by rodingo
    Yeh it's basically Wyatt Earp in the future.  However, there are a few hot alien women on the show.

Uhm yeah, that's not why I watch sci-fi for...

• Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081
    While I'm enjoying the show it's definatley nothing special at this point. I'm going to give it some time though and see how the show develops.

No signature, I don't have a pen

Originally posted by simsalabim77
    I thought it was pretty decent for a Syfy original. Seems a little harsh to judge it based on two episodes. I thought Firefly sucked ass the first time I watched it, but it grew on me, and I ended up loving it. 

I dont agree. Good series grabs you from the very start. Spartacus, Walking Dead and Game of Thrones all started great and in the case of Spartacus, ended even greater.

Granted those are not sci-fi and its a shame we cant get one with the same quality as other type of series. Dont think a good sci-fi show have been done since Babylon 5, over 10 years ago.

I dont agree. Good series grabs you from the very start. Spartacus, Walking Dead and Game of Thrones all started great and in the case of Spartacus, ended even greater.

Granted those are not sci-fi and its a shame we cant get one with the same quality as other type of series. Dont think a good sci-fi show have been done since Babylon 5, over 10 years ago.

Battlestar Galctica? If you tell me it was crap, then I really have nothing else to say to you as our tastes in sci-fi are completely opposed. 

• JorlJorl Member UncommonPosts: 257
    I'll give it a few episodes before I decide its worth watching more. The game is different from other MMOs at least.
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381

Wyatt Earp in the future makes it sound good....

Firefly had all sorts of issues.  The Fox 'suits' required them to make a second pilot, because they 'didn't get it' about the first one.  Episodes were shown out of order,  large gaps in shows being aired, etc.

Defiance may suffer from Syfy's general misunderstanding of what makes good science fiction.     If it's not got an upward arc by the sixth episode or so, that should let us know it's not likely to be any good at all.

It's funny, Syfy is like a fishing channel that thinks if any of their programs have boats in them, it will work just fine.  And shows large chunks of....wrestling.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

You didn't enjoy the new Battlestar Galactica?

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

Most of the world and lore that goes into Defiance in unrevealed, waiting to see how they handle more aspects that I've encountered in the game, before a final judgement. Hellbugs should be interesting, and the following 2-4 episodes after a Pilot are a better way to judge an entire show's direction imo.

Now comparing this, and most anything, to Spartacus, The Walking Dead, and Game of Thrones will sink it completely. If you're expectations are 8/10 or better, then you won't be watching much for long, but that's cool :) If your violent lvl is also being compared to these, then you'll definitely be unimpressed with most everything else.

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

The show is pretty bad but give it a season. Farscape was pretty bad in the beginning as well but ended up being one of my favorite sci-fi shows.

Like the game there's a lot of room for improvement. My advice is to come back to it once it has had a full season and see where it goes from there. Right now it's pretty crappy

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I dopn't watch much tv period,it is pretty trashy stuff on the boob tube nowadays.

Right now there is a trend going on ridiculous hillbilly type shows,crocadile hunter,betty boo all that crap.

I grew up on sci fi television,wasn't big on cartoons ,i favored Godzilla,Star Trek,Lost in Space lol.

Most of what you see now is really cheap when you figure the legend Ray Harryhausen had little to work with and his work looks a hundred times better.

None the less,the first part had a little bit of intruge,i wanted to watch the whole thing to see whjat was coming next.At least there was a battle scene in the end to show they did a little bit of work.Part two however was a total letdown,nothing at all related to Sci-Fi,more of a cheap drama.

Part two was basically more conspiracy,watch a cheesy torture and a boring walk through a mine where all they did was talk,walk a bit and talk again.

I will watch episode 3,just because i am 100% positive it can't be worse than part 2, i am expecting something in between 1 and 2.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by StonesDK

The show is pretty bad but give it a season. Farscape was pretty bad in the beginning as well but ended up being one of my favorite sci-fi shows.

Like the game there's a lot of room for improvement. My advice is to come back to it once it's had a full season and see where it goes from there. Right now it's pretty crappy

Loved Farscape, also greatly enjoyed The StarGate series

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Part two was basically more conspiracy,watch a cheesy torture and a boring walk through a mine where all they did was talk,walk a bit and talk again.

I will watch episode 3,just because i am 100% positive it can't be worse than part 2, i am expecting something in between 1 and 2.

Haha ep 2 was pretty much a cultural / history lesson, which isn't bad, but pretty much all that occurred.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I quite like it. I'll keep watching it. It's nothing amazing but it's not terrible.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

I'm liking the series.  Good variety of species to get to know. Good setting.  Good Sci-fi.  

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Well Fringe qualifies as sci-fi in my book and it was a great series. As far as Defiance, some shows have to grow on you but I didn't think the first episode was that bad...not "OH GAWD I GOTTA WATCH THIS!" either but then again I really wasn't expecting that from a show linked to a video game. Were you?

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

Battlestar Galctica? If you tell me it was crap, then I really have nothing else to say to you as our tastes in sci-fi are completely opposed. 

It was alright but I didnt like the dream sequences of Baltar and most of the actors, except Olmos and McDonnel were pretty bad and some, like Grace Park, were just awful. Some of the episodes were really bad as well, like one where Kara managed to fly a Cylon ship and used her foot (!) to close some hole in the hull.

So the series had its moments but many bad one's as well.

Originally posted by Wizardry

I dopn't watch much tv period,it is pretty trashy stuff on the boob tube nowadays.

Right now there is a trend going on ridiculous hillbilly type shows,crocadile hunter,betty boo all that crap.

I grew up on sci fi television,wasn't big on cartoons ,i favored Godzilla,Star Trek,Lost in Space lol.

Most of what you see now is really cheap when you figure the legend Ray Harryhausen had little to work with and his work looks a hundred times better.

None the less,the first part had a little bit of intruge,i wanted to watch the whole thing to see whjat was coming next.At least there was a battle scene in the end to show they did a little bit of work.Part two however was a total letdown,nothing at all related to Sci-Fi,more of a cheap drama.

I know exactly what you mean, but in a much more real sense, I have no idea what the hell you're talking about.

It was alright but I didnt like the dream sequences of Baltar and most of the actors, except Olmos and McDonnel were pretty bad and some, like Grace Park, were just awful. Some of the episodes were really bad as well, like one where Kara managed to fly a Cylon ship and used her foot (!) to close some hole in the hull.

So the series had its moments but many bad one's as well.

Well then, we'll just agree to disagree. You sound like my wife.

Her:

"That's ridiculous. That couldn't ever happen."

"I feel emberassed by how terrible the acting is."

"That dialogue made no sense."

Me:

"Will you please STFU so I can watch this guy have a fight with some lasers."