Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Update #30 by CSE - The Mark-a-Thon Begins

MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643

Folks,

The video explains everything. 

The Mark-A-Thon begins now (well, actually it began here hours ago but)...

-Mark

P.S. Please pay especially close attention to the last part of the video. Please give me an email folks, one question only.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ahead of schedule.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

Comments

• BrooksTechBrooksTech Member Posts: 163
    Although its not a gme that I am interested in at all, I hope it gets funded for those fellow gamers who are excited about it.  Good Luck guys.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    cool hopefully this answers a lot of questions from people currently "on the fence" also like how involved he wants his backers to be in making this game.. that alone is one of the main reasons I decided to get into this project he really seems to want backers helping with every stage of making this game

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• mistmakermistmaker Member UncommonPosts: 321
    what does he say? got no sound.
  • SBE1SBE1 Member UncommonPosts: 340

Are there really that many people who just don't know enough yet to decide?   Silly IMO.

The primary reason people who are on the fence is because they want to see a demo kind of version of the game first.   

I think the other related issue is that MMO players have been promissed a lot that this game was going to have this or that, and of course the actual game either doesn't have it or it's broken beyond all hope.   You could say AoC was extremely overhyped on what was to be expected versus what was in the game at release.  Heck, they even said it would have DirectX10 on the box and yet only did DirectX 9 when shipped.  When you lie on the box, you know you've broken all standards of decency. 

Or look at Star Wars, which was going to have large-scale PvP on the planet Ilum, only to realize when it went live that the game engine couldn't do it and the planet PvP was effectively shut down.

So many MMO games, so many broken promises.  What to believe anymore?   

And then comes a game that doesn't even have a demo.  It has promises and ideas.   And you wonder why people are on the fence?  

Personally, i've funded at the $250 level because I'm tired of PvE mmo themeparks.  But, I can totally understand why people are on the fence and answering questions from people isn't going to get them to fund in my opinion, but I suppose it's worth a shot with only a few days left and $500,000 more to go.

Originally posted by SBE1

Are there really that many people who just don't know enough yet to decide?   Silly IMO.

The primary reason people who are on the fence is because they want to see a demo kind of version of the game first.   

I think the other related issue is that MMO players have been promissed a lot that this game was going to have this or that, and of course the actual game either doesn't have it or it's broken beyond all hope.   You could say AoC was extremely overhyped on what was to be expected versus what was in the game at release.  Heck, they even said it would have DirectX10 on the box and yet only did DirectX 9 when shipped.  When you lie on the box, you know you've broken all standards of decency. 

Or look at Star Wars, which was going to have large-scale PvP on the planet Ilum, only to realize when it went live that the game engine couldn't do it and the planet PvP was effectively shut down.

So many MMO games, so many broken promises.  What to believe anymore?   

And then comes a game that doesn't even have a demo.  It has promises and ideas.   And you wonder why people are on the fence?  

Personally, i've funded at the $250 level because I'm tired of PvE mmo themeparks.  But, I can totally understand why people are on the fence and answering questions from people isn't going to get them to fund in my opinion, but I suppose it's worth a shot with only a few days left and $500,000 more to go.

i estimated this game would get about 500k on the last two days.. so hopefully I'm correct in my estimation:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• TuktzTuktz Member Posts: 299

MMO history - EVE GW2 SWTOR RIFT WAR COH/V EQ2 WOW DAOC
    Tuktz - http://www.heretic.shivtr.com/

• DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479
    Plastic-metal is a shining example of a textbook example of pot meet kettle.
  • meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

It was actually kind of difficult to figure out what one question to ask since there are number of things that have received short shrift during Kickstarter I want to know. But I ended up asking what are the abilities we can learn from RvR progression. I expect that will be covered in a major update in the next few days anyway, but I wanted to make sure Mark addressed it.

I'm not sure having 10 hours of videos of Mark answering questions is the ideal way to promote the Kickstarter, but at least he's trying something different.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

Originally posted by meddyck

It was actually kind of difficult to figure out what one question to ask since there are number of things that have received short shrift during Kickstarter I want to know. But I ended up asking what are the abilities we can learn from RvR progression. I expect that will be covered in a major update in the next few days anyway, but I wanted to make sure Mark addressed it.

I'm not sure having 10 hours of videos of Mark answering questions is the ideal way to promote the Kickstarter, but at least he's trying something different.

with a game still in its conceptual stage what better way is there? i'd much rather have this than have him sit and talk about what he "thinks" people may or may not want to know like most other kickstarters.. what better way to see what information people really want than a full on Q & A athon

• MarkJacobsMarkJacobs CEO City State EntertainmentMember RarePosts: 649

It is both different and in its own way, easier than trying to answer all the emails I get on a daily basis. :)

It also sets us up nicely to focus the last 2 days of the campaign on some of the big issues without having to, at the same time, deal with all the questions and smaller issues that many people want to know. It's going to be a long day but at the end of it, I will have addressed more questions than I could have addressed in the convention manner.

Plus, it's fun. At least for the first few hours. :)

Mark Jacobs
    CEO, City State Entertainment

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Originally posted by MarkJacobs

It is both different and in its own way, easier than trying to answer all the emails I get on a daily basis. :)

It also sets us up nicely to focus the last 2 days of the campaign on some of the big issues without having to, at the same time, deal with all the questions and smaller issues that many people want to know. It's going to be a long day but at the end of it, I will have addressed more questions than I could have addressed in the convention manner.

Plus, it's fun. At least for the first few hours. :)

Hey Mark.  Best of luck in the days to come!

Personally I'm not on-board because of the vast PvE I fell in love with with DAoC.  But there are so many people here at mmorpg.com that are most definitely on-board with you!

Good luck everyone.

Originally posted by Torvaldr

I think it's a pretty awesome way to connect on a personal, yet controlled manner.  It's one of the more clever ideas in my opinion.

That'll be a hell of a lot of emails though.  Make sure you don't blow up Outlook. :p

lol yea i'm sure a TON will be asking the same types of questions though but still a LOT to sort through i'm sure

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

I loved DAoC. In fact, its my all-time favorite. but I just don't like what I've heard so far. 

I actually do like a little PvE, because it brings a larger, more diverse crowd. There was barely any in DAoC, and once they added BGs for all levels you could totally skip PvE if you wanted.

I can't but my finger on it, but so far it just sounds too gimmicky.

• NanulakNanulak Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Question submitted.  I'm thinking some of the answers will come out as the day progresses.

Nanulak

Originally posted by topographic

Gee, here's an idea. How about adding a kickstarter after you're done with the conceptual phase.

really shouldn't need an explanation as its been said a ton already.. look at it this way most MMOs out there are looking for the numbers.. big numbers so they are made for a large audience. CU is targetting a very small playerbase in comparison.

MJ was not even sure this type of game would draw a big enough crowd to even make it a game worth making. He is using KS to see if its the kind of game that would actually peak enough interest to make. Sure he could spend a million or so and take months to make a full on demo that doesn't really represent much of what the final game will even be like but why should he? If he did that and no one really was interested well now he is out all that money for nothing..

this way he can see the interest and make sure all the money he is going to invest will go towards a project a good number of people really want... he wants a tight community for this game and using KS is a great way to start this up getting lots of feedback and input from people really wanting to see this project through..