Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who Thinks This Game Is Gonna Fail? It Will Be Dead Within 5-7 Years

Comments

• asrlohzasrlohz Member Posts: 645
    Originally posted by daltanious
    Originally posted by asrlohz
    Originally posted by Golelorn
    It wil be as much as a succes as SWTOR. Its offering nothing different, is it?

Read up on TESO first.

And SWToR "died" because it was so awfully shallow. Not only was it WoW in space but the classes were mirrored and other than the storyline the game was lacking. Other than that it was a great game in my opinion, and a beautiful one as well.

Died? Strange, yesterday was stil active and playable.

But if you mean decreased number of subs compared to starting numbers ... yes, numbers were down and this is something completely NORMAL. Swtor, last time I checked, is still 2nd most subbed game. Far behind wow but wow is fenomena per se, not even Blizzard will ever be able to reproduce.

As for swtor, never in my life played 7 months any game, not even wow. I had so much fun, voiced questing, bug free release, .... ok, I admit I care for pvp as I care for last year's snow. Other for that ... impressive release.

"Died", I deliberately placed "-" to mark that it was not meant in a literal sense. Not that the game is dead, empty, gone. Take a moment to research the grammatical fidelities of the English language.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    It won't be as generic and uninspiring as swtor. You would have to try really really hard to pull that off.
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

this post:   "i don't  like the idea of this game! it will fail!"

my answer to this post: "i don't like the idea behind this post! IT WILL FAIL!"

also, as i said before, plz name 5 examples of a successfull open world pvp game

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

It's obvious what will happen to this game from launch.

At first there will be a huge amount of players - TES fans, DAoCers, usual MMO nomads and those bored of their current cames and the like. Then will come the massive drop in numbers as people grow bored of it, finish the content, run out of stuff to do and move. What will be left will be the usual die hard crowd who have too much invested and/or love the Cyrodiil pvp.

But who knows what direction the game will take in that time. If they're smart they will try to provide other reasons for people to hang around other than the AvAvA.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    GW2 Killer
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Read up on TESO first.

And SWToR "died" because it was so awfully shallow. Not only was it WoW in space but the classes were mirrored and other than the storyline the game was lacking. Other than that it was a great game in my opinion, and a beautiful one as well.

But if you mean decreased number of subs compared to starting numbers ... yes, numbers were down and this is something completely NORMAL. Swtor, last time I checked, is still 2nd most subbed game. Far behind wow but wow is fenomena per se, not even Blizzard will ever be able to reproduce.

As for swtor, never in my life played 7 months any game, not even wow. I had so much fun, voiced questing, bug free release, .... ok, I admit I care for pvp as I care for last year's snow. Other for that ... impressive release.

"Died", I deliberately placed "-" to mark that it was not meant in a literal sense. Not that the game is dead, empty, gone. Take a moment to research the grammatical fidelities of the English language.

Actually I have understood you very well.

• PreparedPrepared Member UncommonPosts: 103

You asked the question so I will give you my answer...

This game will be the largest epic failure of any MMORPG ever released!  It will sell huge numbers at the start because of the knowledge people have of the Elder Scrolls Series.  After getting in and trying it, it will fall flat on its face because the game play won't be there nor will there be any reason to continue playing.  The reason for this prediction is because newer MMOs cannot be different from the top dog.  They have to include everything the top dog has then add groundbreaking better features/options/endgame all kinds of stuff on top of what the top dog has.  Just being "different" won't cut it by a long shot.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by Prepared

This game will be the largest epic failure of any MMORPG ever released!  It will sell huge numbers at the start because of the knowledge people have of the Elder Scrolls Series.  After getting in and trying it, it will fall flat on its face because the game play won't be there nor will there be any reason to continue playing.  The reason for this prediction is because newer MMOs cannot be different from the top dog.  They have to include everything the top dog has then add groundbreaking better features/options/endgame all kinds of stuff on top of what the top dog has.  Just being "different" won't cut it by a long shot.

Dont fault me if I dont take stock in your wild guess. At this point saying this game will fail or be the best MMO of all times is coming from a place that has nothing to do with fact. We know so little of the game that at this point if the game was a person, what this thread is doing would be called prejudging. We should be much more civilized then that at this point. I personally think ESO hold some good promise. Who really can say how well it will really do?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

I would say that if a game is aiming for a different audience  that wants different things then they don't have to offer the same things though it still has to be "as good".

I assume that you are talking about "WoW" as the big dog.

I don't like WoW. don't like it. There is very little in WoW that I would ever want in a game that catered to my preference.I do recognize it as a "good" game that does a lot of things right for its audience but no game that is released has to have anything that WoW has in order to capture and keep my attention.

I imagine others think the same way as well.

Having said that, I don't imagine that ESO will cater to my preference and they will have to either include many things that will keep the WoW refugees happy or make their other components so good that it won't matter.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316

I think that because players have been bit by several theme park style games released over the past few years it's made them jaded towards any new MMO's that come out. Maybe it's a feeling of been there, done that. They look more for reasons not to like a game rather than reasons to like it. "Meh, i don't want to shell out sixty bucks for a game I'm only gonna play for a few months." "Awe man, this game has voice actors. It's gonna fail like SWTOR." "Another theme park? Why doesn't it have open world PvP so I can at least have fun ganking newbs?"

Die hard fans will declare "I'm gonna play this no matter what!" Same as the guys that stuck it out through SWTOR because they actually liked the game or the IP.

Others will declare "It's not exactly how I think a game should be (sandbox, free for all  world pvp or whatever). Do not want.  It's not like Game XYZ. It's gonna fail. It's too much like Game XYZ.  It's gonna crash and burn."

People with common sense will say, "Hmm, this looks like it could be interesting. I'm going to wait and see how it pans out before I decide if I'm gonna buy it or not."

Granted I fall into the die hard fans category just because I love TES.

• SilaxSilax Member Posts: 250
    Originally posted by rygard49
    Originally posted by Silax

I don't know what you people are thinking.  This game has vaporware written all over it.

Run while you still can.

Can't tell if being sarcastic...

Or ignorant.

You people take this board way too seriously. 

This is just a silly game which no doubt many of us, including me, will waste countless hours on.  But before it launches, everyone is just going to sit here, navel gazing about things we've barely seen the smallest fragment of actual content from.  Using said fragments, people are going to articulate fantastic arguments about how good, or bad, or ugly this game is before it is even released.  And after the release date, many of you are going to either come back here and whine about the game (the majority) or stay away because you are having too much fun (for at least 2-3 months) until finally everybody comes back to do the same thing about the next new toy coming down the pipe.

Because, you are addicts and you are afflicted by the curse of eternal unsatisfaction.

Cheers.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by rygard49

I don't know what you people are thinking.  This game has vaporware written all over it.

Run while you still can.

Can't tell if being sarcastic...

Or ignorant.

You people take this board way too seriously. 

This is just a silly game which no doubt many of us, including me, will waste countless hours on.  But before it launches, everyone is just going to sit here, navel gazing about things we've barely seen the smallest fragment of actual content from.  Using said fragments, people are going to articulate fantastic arguments about how good, or bad, or ugly this game is before it is even released.  And after the release date, many of you are going to either come back here and whine about the game (the majority) or stay away because you are having too much fun (for at least 2-3 months) until finally everybody comes back to do the same thing about the next new toy coming down the pipe.

Because, you are addicts and you are afflicted by the curse of eternal unsatisfaction.

Cheers.

Exactly. This just like FML but about MMOs.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• BaltoBroBaltoBro Member Posts: 48

in 5 years I will be playing the next TES (single player) and CU

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by BaltoBro

in 5 years I will be playing the next TES (single player) and CU

Sounds like you're trying to predict the future without paying attention to the present. Have you looked at the CU KS lately? Maybe you should.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• PreparedPrepared Member UncommonPosts: 103
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

Dont fault me if I dont take stock in your wild guess. At this point saying this game will fail or be the best MMO of all times is coming from a place that has nothing to do with fact. We know so little of the game that at this point if the game was a person, what this thread is doing would be called prejudging. We should be much more civilized then that at this point. I personally think ESO hold some good promise. Who really can say how well it will really do?

It has everything to do with facts released on game play by the company Zenimax Studios.  Have you done any investigation into this game at all?  Why do you think there are so many negative threads about this game already and it's only in beta?  Now before you say beta isn't release, beta means game play is locked down.  The way the game is going to be played is shown in the beta.  The things about how combat works, the features of the game are locked down.  Bug fixes and maybe small things intended to be added but not yet in the game are done during beta, but the main part of combat, zones, game play options are all locked down during beta.  So saying a prediction has nothing to do with fact is not true.  Do some research on the game and you'll find out facts about it.

• XandramasXandramas Member Posts: 73
    This looks nothing more than every other mmorpg out there. 3rd person button mashing bs. 1, 2, 1 1, 4, 2. They took every core mechanic from the elder scrolls series and got rid of it. This is just a mmo clone with nothing original or new. Calling it elder scrolls is dumb as the gameplay will be NOTHING like it.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I suggest you actually read about the combat, you know on the actual tes website. It doesn't work like that at all.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by dinams
    Giving any themepark mmo post-wow 5 years is being generous

True. Five to seven years in the current MMO climate is success, not failure. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Xandramas
    This looks nothing more than every other mmorpg out there. 3rd person button mashing bs. 1, 2, 1 1, 4, 2. They took every core mechanic from the elder scrolls series and got rid of it. This is just a mmo clone with nothing original or new. Calling it elder scrolls is dumb as the gameplay will be NOTHING like it.

you make these claims based on what information exactly? your vivid imagination?

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Nanfoodle

Originally posted by Prepared You asked the question so I will give you my answer...   This game will be the largest epic failure of any MMORPG ever released!  It will sell huge numbers at the start because of the knowledge people have of the Elder Scrolls Series.  After getting in and trying it, it will fall flat on its face because the game play won't be there nor will there be any reason to continue playing.  The reason for this prediction is because newer MMOs cannot be different from the top dog.  They have to include everything the top dog has then add groundbreaking better features/options/endgame all kinds of stuff on top of what the top dog has.  Just being "different" won't cut it by a long shot.  

It has everything to do with facts released on game play by the company Zenimax Studios.  Have you done any investigation into this game at all?  Why do you think there are so many negative threads about this game already and it's only in beta?  Now before you say beta isn't release, beta means game play is locked down.  The way the game is going to be played is shown in the beta.  The things about how combat works, the features of the game are locked down.  Bug fixes and maybe small things intended to be added but not yet in the game are done during beta, but the main part of combat, zones, game play options are all locked down during beta.  So saying a prediction has nothing to do with fact is not true.  Do some research on the game and you'll find out facts about it.

people complained about this game the moment it was announced, most complainers here don't have a clue what they are talking about when complaining about this game, see my last post for an example.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

Read up on TESO first.

Duh! This has nothing to do with the grammatical fidelities of the English laguage so stop picking on him. This has to do with you posting something that even as an exaggeration is nothing close to the truth. Yes, the game completely underperformed sub wise, but it is still in a relatively healthy place compared to most other MMOs on the market. It didn't meet my expectations, but I wouldn't have used the word dead in any sense, let alone a literal sense. Anyway, this is off topic.

I can't tell yet if this game will be a hit or a failure. I haven't seen enough to really make a judgement.

There Is Always Hope!

• simon155simon155 Member UncommonPosts: 53

Totally disagree. You're much mistaken if you think the majority are "hooked" on the top dog at the moment.

Personally I've ditched WoW relatively recently and am looking forward to this one. I've seen the odd person trying out other MMOs over time, but this one is the first time a large number appear to be going for the same one. It's not actually going to take all that much to seperate the player base from the top titles. Most of us are kinda bored and fed up with it ;)

It's far from impossible to take on the number 1 space in the market -  But there needs to be great graphical appeal. By that I mean very appealing and detailed, but NOT life-like and dull.  This one makes wow look like a naff cartoon, and Conaan look like the dullest title ever. The level of work going in so far I'd hazard a guess will be sufficient to form a longer term migration.

• sexypanda198sexypanda198 Member Posts: 151
    Where you getting it is another theme park. devs clearly stated it was sandbox that had no grind but level as you explore just like other elder scroll games.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    I think its quite ignorant to be judging a game that is not even out yet of its failure. Its like if a teacher just threw down a test with an F marked on the paper and went "Well I know your going to fail it without even writing down a word, so theres your F." 
  • free4gabfree4gab Member Posts: 12
    Yeah its way to soon to say Eso will fail.The leaked beta footage that showed a player casting only 1 attack fireball,fireball,fireball was clearly some one that was trying to give the game a bad name from the beginning they were clearly a hater of the game, they did not show any other attacks at all.People will judge a game by that!! give it till launch then we will see what the game is all about.
This discussion has been closed.