Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Getting Fit While Gaming

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

According to the makers of TrekDesk, a World of Warcraft player has shed over forty pounds thanks to exercising while gaming. According to the inventors, TrekDesk treadmill accessory gives players enough space for peripherals to utilize while walking.

Designed to fit any existing treadmill, TrekDesk treadmill desk is an affordable, full sized, height adjustable workstation that allows individuals the opportunity to gain the necessary amount of daily exercise to lose weight, maintain health, reduce stress, prevent disease, strengthen muscles, boost mood and productivity, without requiring additional time during the day or extra motivation.

Find out more at TrekDesk.com.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• bronzephishybronzephishy Member UncommonPosts: 64
    Marketing ploy...According to the makers a World of Warcraft player plz....
  • Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731
    ummmm.......yeahhhhhh............
  • RevenanthawkRevenanthawk Member Posts: 7
    Takes out the point of being relaxed while playing games...
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Dumbest thing I've ever seen.

If you are desperate for this kind of thing just get a mini excercise bike and put it under your desk. It'd hardly cost you anything and you'll actually be able to play the game properly.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • MorningStarGGMorningStarGG Member UncommonPosts: 394
    So MMORPG is now masking advertisments as news articles? This place has entered a new low, congratulations!

Owner/Admin of GodlessGamer.com - Gaming news and reviews for the godless.

• madnosmadnos Member Posts: 84

No thnx, It only comes with two beer holders.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882

I think there's a reason why humans move their hands while walking. Walking prolonged periods of time without the help of your hands (since they must remain at the same location over keyboard/mouse) could be ergonomically bad idea.

Exercising while at computer doesn't seem to be a bad idea. But I think a bike would be better solution than that.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    If you need to exercise while gaming you need to reevaluate your lifestyle and priorities.
  • EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Im sure this player got booted from raids lol
  • pmilespmiles Member Posts: 383

I remember seeing a video of some guy who hooked up a treadmill to his computer to move his character about back in Vanilla days.  Back then you actually had to run across the zones to get from one point to another... he would run from one end of the continent to another.  So not really a new idea... was done a long time ago.

As for losing weight, if you truly wish to lose weight, you'd remove all distractions from your workout... playing a video game, talking on the phone, or watching tv affects your intensity.  If you're going to work out, work out.  The reason you packed on all those pounds is because you took on a casual lathargic sedentary life.  I don't know how many people I see at the gym sitting on equipment barely doing anything but fully engaged in reading some book, watching tv, or chatting it up.  Counter-productive to say the least.  This gimmick doesn't get you to work out because you're focused more on the game than on the workout.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by pmiles

(..)

This gimmick doesn't get you to work out because you're focused more on the game than on the workout.

and that sir is the basic idea.... gz on finding it out :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• MorgarenMorgaren Member UncommonPosts: 397
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71
    If you need to exercise while gaming you need to reevaluate your lifestyle and priorities.

QFT

• HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821

Try typing on a static keyboard while running IRL.

What kinda news was this? lol

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    I have actually made one of those already. I have had it for two years. I can focus on the task at hand well at about 2.5 mph. Any faster and its hard to concentrate on the game.
    I made one for my mother too. She loves it. She plays card games online. She said she can walk and play for three hours and not realize that much time has past.
  • sumo0sumo0 Member UncommonPosts: 115

Im confused. Exactly what gameplay mechanics does this offer over other MMO's? How do i play it? Nothing gameplay or MMO related have been revealed here this being an MMO site and all...

Im blocking ads for a reason...

• ZergyZergy Member UncommonPosts: 73
    I'd rather use something like this.
  • AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416
    Originally posted by Zergy
    I'd rather use something like this.

I was going to mention that one myself, that one actually DOES look like it will lose you weight.

Still no news though on a release date for the Occulus Rift =(, dang I want one of those babies.

• EinsamWulfEinsamWulf Member Posts: 69
    Or you could just hit the gym/track for 30 minutes to an hour. I love me some gaming but I don't see this solving the problem of gamers getting fit. I know many fit gamers and for them it isn't about some gimmick, it's about taking care of themselves. Many people have a hard time getting in shape and it has little to do with being a gamer and more to do with themselves.

Terminus
    Legend Gaming Website | Join Us
    EinsamWulf- Legionnaire of Terminus
  • FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    Originally posted by EinsamWulf
     Many people have a hard time getting in shape and it has little to do with being a gamer and more to do with themselves.

This.

And what the hell, that's a desk slapped over a basic threadmill...

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Fat gamers are not fat because they are gamers. They are fat because they are lazy and they eat too much. Simple formula to not being fat = exercise + don't eat fatty foods :D Although I am personally super lucky :D I had times where I did 0 exercise for a long period of time and I never seem to put weight. Ever :D

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    These comments are great, mention exercise and blamo your getting the third degree. People crack me up. But if your looking for unique cultures the mmo world is a great place to look. I wonder if the same anger would be on display if they put a picture of cake up and wrote an article about eating cake while gaming
  • DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Anyone else find it ironic that people who are trolling on a MMORPG forum are giving excercise critiques, advice, and commentary.   As if many of you are fit to give proper exercise advice.  As if even 10% of people on here know the first thing about nuitrition or exercise lol.    Not only are the users MMO players, but they are also so lazy that when they are not plying they are posting on here.   This is a unique creative idea, how effective it is, I (as well as most of you) would not know because we are all probably, at best, of average build and health (except for you damn kids who are 120lbs and can run a marathon without ever training...I hate you :)).

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

• nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486
    I raided with someone in Rift who had something like this.
  • Psylon_1982Psylon_1982 Member Posts: 10
    Originally posted by Daranar
    Anyone else find it ironic that people who are trolling on a MMORPG forum are giving excercise critiques, advice, and commentary.   As if many of you are fit to give proper exercise advice.  As if even 10% of people on here know the first thing about nuitrition or exercise lol.    Not only are the users MMO players, but they are also so lazy that when they are not plying they are posting on here.   This is a unique creative idea, how effective it is, I (as well as most of you) would not know because we are all probably, at best, of average build and health (except for you damn kids who are 120lbs and can run a marathon without ever training...I hate you :)).

I'm an mmo player and a triathlete, that comment is as useless as the posts you complain about. My issue is your intensity is limited by playing a game, this will also create quicker plateau in your weight loss as you cannot scale with your increased fitness. I have a feeling that the increased snack intake during a long raid will make you calorie positive with your limited intensity.  Unless your in training and you are literally monitoring your joules per second out and compensating for them with joules in through a sports snack or gel, your going to assume "oh hey, I've been walking for an hour I can get away with a bit more food" and bam, you will probably gain weight if you do not include a dietary regiment appropriate for your fitness and metabolic level.

I'm tired of seeing gimmicky crap of preying on nutritionally uneducated people into spending money.

/end rant 

• DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Leave it to the outlier to respond to a general comment.  Btw, your post on MMORPG.com is as equally useless as mine or anyone elses.   Luckily I understand that (IN GENERAL, as in, THE MAJORITY, as in NOT SPECIFICALLY YOU) PC gamers are not known for being the most physically fit specimens in the world.   Most of us couldn't go out and be competitve in a Triatholon tomorrow unlike you...in fact, that would apply to most people whether gamers or not.   Therefore, not only is my post still relevent, it also still remains a totally off handed post in which you took entirely A) out of context by ignoring the generalities, and B) wayyyyyy too seriously.

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!