Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: If ESO costs $15/month, will you play it?

Comments

• SiderasSideras Member Posts: 231
    Yes - I will preorder or buy on release day and hope to get atleast 30 hours out of it, assuming I have nothing else I want to play at the time.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    If its 15 bucks a month, I will come play for a few months to see TES lands and have fun exploring. It would have to be wicked awesome to get me to keep paying 15 bucks a month. There is no reason to charge 15 bucks a month now days. Its not the market value IMO.
  • AtrusVAtrusV Member UncommonPosts: 305

Probably I wouldn't play it. Not only because I'm not very fan of TES (though Skyrim and Oblivion were interesting games, and I bought them), but also because currently there are very good F2P games, and high quality single players, so if I had to pay each month to play it, my expectations would be sky-high and hard to fulfill. Archage could be one of those games worthy of a monthly fee, but TESO, Camelot Unchained, The Repopulation...etc, are not (very interesting games though)

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

I wont play it based on it having a sub. Here's why.

1. Subs, from the moment i buy the game, are a constant negative. When i get bored, i remind myself i am PAYING every month to be bored. I quit, never to look back. It's a powerful gating mechanism.

2. When compared with B2P with cosmetic cash shop, i buy what i want IF I LIKE IT(cosmetics, expansions, etc), whereas with Sub model i am paying for them to develop content , in HOPES that i MIGHT LIKE it. With B2P, the power is in my hands to put my money where i deem fit. This is such a plus that it makes Subs even more negative in my book.

For businesses, at least where i am concerned, B2P/F2P is their best bet.

Example:

I played FFXI for a few months, hit a bored spot. Thought to myself" I'm paying them X amount per month to be bored" Dropped the game, never to return.

GW2: Played the game for a few months, got bored, dropped it. New content came out, Not gated by sub to return, so i drop in to check it out. Find out i like the game again. Buy a character slot and some new cosmetics that came out, and im happily chugging along still.

One game never got any more money from me, the other got money from me.

IMO- SUBS ARE SHIT!

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

I'll be in the maybe crowd.  If it's B2P + Sub then I will definately wait a lil while on it.

F2P MMOs just don't have the resources they need.  Neverwinter I don't have much intrest in anymore and while I love D&D and the class mechanics, DDOs bugs are really getting to me (they still haven't fixed crap that's been there for a year come June, in this case an epic feat that has never worked properly or as intended).

I have no qualms with P2P MMOs as long as they are worth the price and actually save money in the long rund if the game is good enough.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Any sub game is of zero interest to me.   There is absolutely no chance whatsoever that I would end up playing a subscription based game again. 

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    It depends on how good it is and whether or not they tack on a cash shop.
  • SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    I like sub based games without cash shops - so yes
  • JRRNeiklotJRRNeiklot Member UncommonPosts: 129
    The ONLY way I'd play it is if it has a sub. 
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551

Originally posted by JRRNeiklot
    The ONLY way I'd play it is if it has a sub. 

agreed!

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• BaltoBroBaltoBro Member Posts: 48
    it's The Elder Scrolls, yes  and yes! just join the Aldmeri Dominion; Hail to the Queen!
  • JagaridJagarid Member UncommonPosts: 415

I voted no.

I'm a huge TES fan, having played every game all the way back to the Arena when it was first released.   But I didn't vote no because I'm one of those fans that is all up and arms about how they didn't make ESO enough like the TES single player games.

I voted no because the game is not going to do well enough to remain subscription based.  It is just a fact of the current market, very few MMOs pull it off and I don't see anything "special enough" about this one that it will be one of those.   So, I see no point in spending monthly money on a game that will, eventually, not have a sub.  I can wait.

If what we had seen so far about this game was knock-your-socks-off incredible and crazy different from what has been done before, I'd have voted yes.  But it is not.  It is just another pretty standard MMO set in TES universe.   That last part is enough to make me want to play the game, but the first part is enough for me to be unwilling to pay monthly in order to do so.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Toxia
    I wont play it based on it having a sub. Here's why.1. Subs, from the moment i buy the game, are a constant negative. When i get bored, i remind myself i am PAYING every month to be bored. I quit, never to look back. It's a powerful gating mechanism.2. When compared with B2P with cosmetic cash shop, i buy what i want IF I LIKE IT(cosmetics, expansions, etc), whereas with Sub model i am paying for them to develop content , in HOPES that i MIGHT LIKE it. With B2P, the power is in my hands to put my money where i deem fit. This is such a plus that it makes Subs even more negative in my book. For businesses, at least where i am concerned, B2P/F2P is their best bet.Example:I played FFXI for a few months, hit a bored spot. Thought to myself" I'm paying them X amount per month to be bored" Dropped the game, never to return.GW2: Played the game for a few months, got bored, dropped it. New content came out, Not gated by sub to return, so i drop in to check it out. Find out i like the game again. Buy a character slot and some new cosmetics that came out, and im happily chugging along still.One game never got any more money from me, the other got money from me.IMO- SUBS ARE SHIT!

you sound like a hardcore penny pincher lol

personally, i would rather pay a sub and not have to play a gimped F2P version of the game i want to play.

$15 a month is chump change, even for me and i am not a rich person by any means.

i wont pay more than one sub a month for a game though, i think that is reasonable if i am enjoying the game.

if i get bored, i cancel my sub. i try to make a decision before my sub renews so i don't waste my money.

to each their own i guess. by the way, i could have sworn i seen a post of yours where you backed CU, which will likely have a sub if i am not mistaken. LOL

what gives?

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Originally posted by cura
    There are too many F2P and B2P mmos to pay monthly for another medicore product.

I think so many here just feel better if someone takes their money.......All of a sudden the game is so much better because they are paying that 15 dollars a month.......

• bobm111bobm111 Member Posts: 153

hard to vote as my alternative isn,t there. No to TSOE because the compromise of being able to play in the entire world at 50 is not what i wanted from this title. I was expecting a game based on Morrow wind series and not a daoc clone. So ill pass on this one and wait for ffiv hoping they get it right this time.

Bobm111

• MyownGodMyownGod Member UncommonPosts: 205
    For the sake of ESO Fanboii
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    It's all dependent on how good the PvP is for me to sub.

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048
    I usually make that decision about week 3 of my month free trial. For me the $15 a month fee is nothing compared to what I used to spend on games when I was burning through single player games paying upwards of $100 a month at times. MMOs provide hours and hours of entertainment if they are good, so that $15 a month actually ends up saving me money. I go out to bars less, go out to movies less, go golfing and fishing less. (I don't become a shut in but you understand) All those cost a lot of money so I don't mind monthly fees if the game keeps me occupied.
    Originally posted by baphamet

Originally posted by Toxia
    I wont play it based on it having a sub. Here's why.

1. Subs, from the moment i buy the game, are a constant negative. When i get bored, i remind myself i am PAYING every month to be bored. I quit, never to look back. It's a powerful gating mechanism.

2. When compared with B2P with cosmetic cash shop, i buy what i want IF I LIKE IT(cosmetics, expansions, etc), whereas with Sub model i am paying for them to develop content , in HOPES that i MIGHT LIKE it. With B2P, the power is in my hands to put my money where i deem fit. This is such a plus that it makes Subs even more negative in my book.

For businesses, at least where i am concerned, B2P/F2P is their best bet.

Example:

I played FFXI for a few months, hit a bored spot. Thought to myself" I'm paying them X amount per month to be bored" Dropped the game, never to return.

GW2: Played the game for a few months, got bored, dropped it. New content came out, Not gated by sub to return, so i drop in to check it out. Find out i like the game again. Buy a character slot and some new cosmetics that came out, and im happily chugging along still.

One game never got any more money from me, the other got money from me.

IMO- SUBS ARE SHIT!

you sound like a hardcore penny pincher lol

personally, i would rather pay a sub and not have to play a gimped F2P version of the game i want to play.

$15 a month is chump change, even for me and i am not a rich person by any means.

i wont pay more than one sub a month for a game though, i think that is reasonable if i am enjoying the game.

if i get bored, i cancel my sub. i try to make a decision before my sub renews so i don't waste my money.

to each their own i guess. by the way, i could have sworn i seen a post of yours where you backed CU, which will likely have a sub if i am not mistaken. LOL

what gives?

I agree with Toxia. 15 bucks a month is not a lot of money when you look at just one game and it being one bill. But good coffie is no longer 15 cents a cup. Now its 2-4 bucks a cup. Cable/internet and phone bill is 150-200 bucks a month. Everything has hidden charges and the cost of living keeps going up but we get paid less and less each year. 

What I do know is games like DnD and GW2 has prived that MMOs dont need to charge 15 bucks a month to make money. On average in game like that people pay about 4-6 bucks a month. These days people play 1-5 online games and at 15 bucks a month its not worth it IMO in this current market. Again IMO a good cosmetic cash shop and B2P or a monthly fee of 4-6 bucks a month is fair. When you look at the cost of servers and how fiber op has made net cost go way down. Gota ask what really fair? I think 15 bucks a month is asking to much even if I spend that with ease.

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

I agree with Toxia. 15 bucks a month is not a lot of money when you look at just one game and it being one bill. But good coffie is no longer 15 cents a cup. Now its 2-4 bucks a cup. Cable/internet and phone bill is 150-200 bucks a month. Everything has hidden charges and the cost of living keeps going up but we get paid less and less each year. 

What I do know is games like DnD and GW2 has prived that MMOs dont need to charge 15 bucks a month to make money. On average in game like that people pay about 4-6 bucks a month. These days people play 1-5 online games and at 15 bucks a month its not worth it IMO in this current market. Again IMO a good cosmetic cash shop and B2P or a monthly fee of 4-6 bucks a month is fair. When you look at the cost of servers and how fiber op has made net cost go way down. Gota ask what really fair? I think 15 bucks a month is asking to much even if I spend that with ease.

This is where you and I vary greatly. I've only had 2 subsciptions a couple times in my 10 years of playing MMOs. Only really when I was making the change from one game to another or wanted to try a new game with friends while still playing the game I truly liked on my own. The longest I can remember was playing and paying for SWG and FFXI for about 3-4 months. I later played FFXI and lineage 2 at the same time but most of the time I was playing both was during L2 beta and my free month trial and I don't think payments overlapped at all really. I'm sure others might be different but I'm sure there are just as many like me who rarely play more than one MMO at a time.

Also for me cash shops are a huge no-no. I'm sure some games might have done it well but I can't stand them. That's really an entirely different argument though.

Originally posted by k11keeper
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

This is where you and I vary greatly. I've only had 2 subsciptions a couple times in my 10 years of playing MMOs. Only really when I was making the change from one game to another or wanted to try a new game with friends while still playing the game I truly liked on my own. The longest I can remember was playing and paying for SWG and FFXI for about 3-4 months. I later played FFXI and lineage 2 at the same time but most of the time I was playing both was during L2 beta and my free month trial and I don't think payments overlapped at all really. I'm sure others might be different but I'm sure there are just as many like me who rarely play more than one MMO at a time.

Also for me cash shops are a huge no-no. I'm sure some games might have done it well but I can't stand them. That's really an entirely different argument though.

Red: Thats the point. There are so many quality games and if you are going to pay 15 bucks a month you most likely will stick with 1 game. You are a customer a lot of MMOs are missing out on. You played 2 games at onc when you were not being charged 15 bucks a month for 2 games. What if you could pay for when you only played? How many online games would you be playing now? Play WoW when it gets an update and back to FFX when they get new content. Jump online thur night to hang with your guild who is doing your fav raid in Linage 2. 

Orange: The weekend Blizzard released the sparkel pony and sould 25 mill in just 2 days for a digital item was the day every MMO went, "We need a cash shop to" Microtransactions are here to stay. Like em or not, they are here. GW2 IMO is the cash shop every gamer should hope for. Its a fair as one can get and you can really play for free. I have earned in game gold to by what I wanted off the cash shop. Its not crazy hard to do so and none of the items are pay to win.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I am going to wait a few months to see how this all plays out.  Right now I would not pre order this game, nor would I pay 15 a month for this.

• Total_HuntTotal_Hunt Member Posts: 65
    Yes. Shut up and take my money!
  • MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635
    Wouldnt play it for free
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by Phry
    to be honest, whether the game has a sub, or is f2p is to me completely irrelevant, the only real question is whether the game is going to be any good or not. which so far, is a much much bigger question mark.image

Track records so far have shown that more games designed with P2P in mind have been of better quality and more successful financially than those that were designed with F2P in mind.