Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

was hoping for...wha i see is

marlborzmarlborz Member Posts: 36

I thought that it would have used better physics in game. The combat is unique but it lacks polish. Feels very browserish to me. If you have ever played saints row or seven core it seems like it uses the exact same engine.

I thought I would enjoy the graphics, which I do but they get distracted by the invisable walls in between zones. Each zone is instanced unlike wow which is completely open world. You cannot climb a mountain and be in another zone.

Very limited character customization at start. You can add all the costumes you want but I do not feel every mmo has to be a cash shop money maker.

Limited quests and direction. I like how your able to determine things to do yourself but after a glimpse of what there is to offer I feel already bored jut looking at it. I think in this case a quest system would have been the meat and potatoes for me.

I did like the ai . The cities felt full of life with npc's actually walking around and doing other things then just standng there. You could bump into them and they would make a remark. It'slike an assasin's creed style ai which I've never seen before in a mmo.

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by marlborz

I thought that it would have used better physics in game. The combat is unique but it lacks polish. Feels very browserish to me. If you have ever played saints row or seven core it seems like it uses the exact same engine.

The combat is amazing after you learn how to play. Learning is almost a bad word these days. You have to though with AoW. It's nothing like the games we been getting the last 3 years. I keep bringing it up, but if a company with 15 million player puts $150,000 on a 1v1 winner take all inventational, it says a lot. 

I thought I would enjoy the graphics, which I do but they get distracted by the invisable walls in between zones. Each zone is instanced unlike wow which is completely open world. You cannot climb a mountain and be in another zone.

When I think of walls I think of Swtor, GW2, TSW, to a lesser extent. AoW scenes are not like this. You may not be able to go to the other side of that mountain, but you sure as hell can climb to the top of it.

Very limited character customization at start. You can add all the costumes you want but I do not feel every mmo has to be a cash shop money maker.

Yeah they dont give you a lot of outfits to start, more than WoW, swtor, and gw2 though. You get cosmetic from doing stuff. Stuff like being a top 3 calligrapher, or a fisherman. You can buy all cosmetics that are in the cash in game aswell.

Limited quests and direction. I like how your able to determine things to do yourself but after a glimpse of what there is to offer I feel already bored jut looking at it. I think in this case a quest system would have been the meat and potatoes for me.

Yeah, well this is the first mmorpg (with people) I've played where you can progress without doing any quest beyond the tutorial. AoW is the furthest thing from a linear quest grinder. At the same the gossip and random encounter system is something unique to AoW. Through your action, your gameplay style, npc will gain affinity, or dislike you.

Do you remember bummping into a NPC and seeing little frowns with minuses, or training a skill and seeing smiliy  faces? If you don't slow down. You my find something you like better that quest hub hoping. 

I did like the ai . The cities felt full of life with npc's actually walking around and doing other things then just standng there. You could bump into them and they would make a remark. It'slike an assasin's creed style ai which I've never seen before in a mmo.

I suggest you try to pick up some gossip, and see where that takes you.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    Originally posted by bcbully

The combat is amazing after you learn how to play. Learning is almost a bad word these days. You have to though with AoW. It's nothing like the games we been getting the last 3 years. I keep bringing it up, but if a company with 15 million player puts $150,000 on a 1v1 winner take all inventational, it says a lot. 

When I think of walls I think of Swtor, GW2, TSW, to a lesser extent. AoW scenes are not like this. You may not be able to go to the other side of that mountain, but you sure as hell can climb to the top of it.

Yeah they dont give you a lot of outfits to start, more than WoW, swtor, and gw2 though. You get cosmetic from doing stuff. Stuff like being a top 3 calligrapher, or a fisherman. You can buy all cosmetics that are in the cash in game aswell.

Yeah, well this is the first mmorpg (with people) I've played where you can progress without doing any quest beyond the tutorial. AoW is the furthest thing from a linear quest grinder. At the same the gossip and random encounter system is something unique to AoW. Through your action, your gameplay style, npc will gain affinity, or dislike you.

Do you remember bummping into a NPC and seeing little frowns with minuses, or training a skill and seeing smiliy  faces? If you don't slow down. You my find something you like better that quest hub hoping. 

Combat and physics are too different things I think you are confusing the two and the OP was pretty clear on his opinion of the difference.

Sighting other games that also have a boxed in instanced gameworld doesnt change the OP's point that its not an open world seemless experience.  We all know that its a developers shortcut to game design and heavily used in today quick development cycles.

if a game doesnt have an incredibly deep crafting or character development systems it does need quests to give it some substance.   My guess would be it relying mosting on its "combat mechanics" as its depth.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by snapfusion

Combat and physics are too different things I think you are confusing the two and the OP was pretty clear on his opinion of the difference.

Sighting other games that also have a boxed in instanced gameworld doesnt change the OP's point that its not an open world seemless experience.  We all know that its a developers shortcut to game design and heavily used in today quick development cycles.

if a game doesnt have an incredibly deep crafting or character development systems it does need quests to give it some substance.   My guess would be it relying mosting on its "combat mechanics" as its depth.

omg... you come to attack? I addresed what he said about combat since only 1 sentence in the first paragraph was about physics...

Nope not completely open, but not like the ones I mentioned. You don't get that? You Remember WoW before flying mounts? That's what AoW is, except there is a 1 sec fade in fade out.

/face palm that is what AoW has. It has the deepest character development on the market. EVE is close, but with the meridian system (I know you have no idea what that is.. look it up) I feel AoW character development passes it. 

As far as crafting, whens the last time you played a mmorpg where everything is player generated, and no two items are the same? How about the last time you played one where no two crafters are the same? How about one where all items are relevant?

Seems like you just wanted to get in on the convo with no info. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • AresPLAresPL Member UncommonPosts: 292
    @snapfusion and in how many MMOs offline players become NPC? try make open world with that
  • Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

I dont see the issue with instancing between zones. It doesn't detract from the package as a whole at all for me. So what if you want to go to another area so you spent 4 seconds loading into it. I'm sorry but this goes into the realm of extreme nitpicking. Some of the zones in AoW are easily as large as 3-4 WoW areas, which WoW could never do. Also, while WoW doesn't have "instancing" per se. It does load new zones in chunk by preloading. Technically speaking, WoW areas are instanced, you simply load the instance before you walk up to it.

AoW has a lot to offer, along with a lot of real issue. I don't see how areas being instanced is somehow a bigger issue than the many real issues. After all, instancing isn't a design flaw, it's an intentional mechanic, and so not liking it is fine, but it ends up being subjective.

• Beyond_EterniaBeyond_Eternia Member UncommonPosts: 102

Like most mmo's, I gave it a try. 

I got in game and was bombarded with gold sellers. So I spent some time blocking those. I thought the traders was cool idea. I did not play past the training area. This game just did not snatch my attention enough. Not saying it was a terrible game. Just was not for me. 

Time you enjoy wasting...is not wasted time
  • andreibaruandreibaru Member Posts: 43
    Originally posted by snapfusion

LOL you have no idea what you are talking about. " doesnt have an indepth character developement system " OMFG AOW has the most in depth char system that has been seen in the MMO genre for nearly a decade. The are quests.. but you have to FIND  OUT where they are and why they are important. I f you are looking for hansel and gretal bread crumb quests that move you from zone to zone.. you are sadly not going to find any here. This is a living breathing WORLD. You have to make your way in your OWN way. The only people wh complain about lack of quests are the people who grew up in the WOW clone era of gaming. They dont know what to do if they arent told by an NPC with a "!" over his head what to do. Hundreds of incredibly important quests cant even be seen unitl you have ful;filled personailty checks on certain NPCs. Maybe you have to kidnap 100 PC's in front of their eyes. Maybe yo have to gift children with alcohol to get the NPC gaurd to like you. Maybe you have to give money to beggars within view of them.. maybe you just have to buy them 200 bottles of wine. Who knows.. but once your disposition is hgih  or low enough, thye MIGHT just give you that quest for a miracle encounter and access to progression towards an ancient skillbook. You guys posting here really have no clue what this game is about. I feel sad for you that you are missing out on such a fucking wonderful game. Only reason i have time to enlighten you all is bc there is downtime right now. As soon as its over.. im going to go back, grow some chinese yams, divine the fortune of some players, find some Pkers with a bounty and kill them so that they go to jail, then ill go to a guild guided martial arts practice to improve my skill in a weapon set from a school that i dont even belong to, but have access to bc i stole their secret scripts in yesterdays event. After Team Practice, ill have fulfilled the qualifications for the Spiritually Balanced title and i will hopefullly kick some ass and burn some Vietnamese buildings down in the guild war tonight. One thing i wont be doing.. sleeping....