Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Artificial Hype?

Comments

• bubalubabubaluba LjubljanaPosts: 434Member
    Artificial?? Sure not! Maybe one of the best titles this year
  • FusionFusion VaasaPosts: 1,391Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Lokberg
    Feel sorry u obiously blew 200 bucks on it OP, i most likely will get my monies worth the 30th with my friends.

I see what you did there ;)

But on topic, the game has just released and released games almost always tends to inflate the hype.

Currently playing: -

Waiting for: Class4.

Dead and Buried: ESO, NWO, GW2, SWTOR, Darkfall, AO, AC2, Vanguard, CoH/V, EnB, EVE, Neocron, FE, EQ, EQ2, DAoC, FFXI, FFXIV, SWG, WoW, and billions of eastern junks!

• JoekraJoekra BlieskastelPosts: 182Member
    It looks like a fun game, with full mmo features and it's free. Seriously there is no downside to this and it's note even that much hyped. I believe most know what kind of game this is and want to play it to pass the time until the next thing.
  • OnomasOnomas Rock Hill, SCPosts: 1,128Member Uncommon

Artificial Hype?

95% of the stuff here is this........... What one likes another wont. Many games have been hyped to hell only to fail and suck.  Bes tto wait and read/watch as much as you can, and then make your own mind up. Unless you like tossing money out the window. Been bit once too many times from listening to this crowd lol ;)

• AerowynAerowyn BUZZARDS BAY, MAPosts: 7,928Member
    Originally posted by Onomas

Artificial Hype?

95% of the stuff here is this........... What one likes another wont. Many games have been hyped to hell only to fail and suck.  Bes tto wait and read/watch as much as you can, and then make your own mind up. Unless you like tossing money out the window. Been bit once too many times from listening to this crowd lol ;)

not sure why that would matter at all in a F2P game.. just try for yourself and make up your own mind

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• OnomasOnomas Rock Hill, SCPosts: 1,128Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Onomas

Artificial Hype?

not sure why that would matter at all in a F2P game.. just try for yourself and make up your own mind

Thats true, i normaly dont play F2P games so guess its just part of my normal thing to say lol

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Maplewood, NJPosts: 1,098Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by AG-Vuk
    Originally posted by rommello

coz i wasnt impressed at all, so what are your opinions? trollers or legit all r welcome

anyway i think PWE has pissed off too many ppl before with their pay to win trash, & this game isnt even good at all to begin with

If you'd played the previous 2 releases you wouldn't be surprised . The aren't jokingly called Craptic by accident.

He's right.  People call it Craptic because they have preconceived notions about the company and refuse to try out their games to see whether or not their notions are actually valid.

Seriously, I have yet to see a single complaint that is either based on something that isn't due to a misunderstanding or based around a nitpicky problem that isn't really a problem and only included to "validate" their opinion.

My opinion is that since PWE is only publishing the game and not developing it, that shouldn't color your opinions of the game, or are you the kind of person who would refuse to buy Mass Effect 3 because you hate EA, even though they didn't develop it (yes yes I know you said you weren't impressed, but I can't help but suspect that your opinion of PWE is improperly coloring your opinion of NW)?

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• chaintmchaintm Chicago, ILPosts: 972Member
    nah, there are some of us waiting to see what they nickle and dime... uhmm.. foundry content. I know many said "No no no, they said they wouldn't" but just as in star trek they said they wouldn't on many things. Shall see thou, if time proves me wrong I might try it ;)

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• nationalcitynationalcity Decatur, MIPosts: 330Member Uncommon

it's alright a filler till something better comes along.....

I'm looking at you Wildstar, TESO, Eq-next, Archage, WOD, Blade and Soul should I go on? lol......

Originally posted by nationalcity

it's alright a filler till something better comes along.....

I'm looking at you Wildstar, TESO, Eq-next, Archage, WOD, Blade and Soul should I go on? lol......

You forgot Phantasy Star Online 2.

But if you think its filler, ok its filler for you, but not for people like me.

• EtherignisEtherignis philadelphia, PAPosts: 246Member
    I cant wait until
  • EtherignisEtherignis philadelphia, PAPosts: 246Member
    4/30 got too go food shop too get snacks:-)
  • XthosXthos Columbus, OHPosts: 2,628Member
    I never had rated it, but I played a beta and did not like it, so I have solved your problem OP, and dehyped it for you!
  • BrucyBonusBrucyBonus londonPosts: 220Member
    Really did not see any hype.  It is a solid game and will keep me entertained for a while.  
    Originally posted by Xthos
    I never had rated it, but I played a beta and did not like it, so I have solved your problem OP, and dehyped it for you!

No you did not.  You merely stated your opinion of it.  That does not mean that the hype is wrong.  What you need is to listen to all the reviews/opinions of critics and players alike.  Your one opinion neither validates the hype of the game nor dehypes it.

• Pandaman102Pandaman102 Hong KongPosts: 94Member

I haven't tried Neverwinter, nor do I ever intend to, so obviously my opinion isn't terribly relevant to the game itself, but I am a lifetime subscriber to Champions Online precisely for the same reason a lot of people are liking Neverwinter now: it was a lot of fun. At first.

Then the lack of polish and endgame content rears its head after a few months, which is shameful for a four year old game.

Then developers were transferred away to work on the more profitable Star Trek Online and the more promising Neverwinter, leaving only a skeleton crew in Champions who barely do any bug fixing and can only manage a few vehicles and ten minute temporary events once a month.

Neverwinter might suffer the same fate, from a marketing standpoint the only thing it has distinguishing it from every other fantasy MMO is the Dungeon and Dragons name, and even then it's possible die-hard 2nd and 3rd Edition fans will refuse to play Neverwinter simply because it's loosely based on 4e mechanics and uses 4e lore. If Neverwinter doesn't generate enough profit, then expect reduced developer attention and overpriced, underpowered items (compared to similar items that will be available only in lockboxes) in the cash shop.

• Allacore69Allacore69 Casselberry, FLPosts: 839Member

Originally posted by Pandaman102
    I haven't tried Neverwinter, nor do I ever intend to, so obviously my opinion isn't terribly relevant to the game itself, but I am a lifetime subscriber to Champions Online precisely for the same reason a lot of people are liking Neverwinter now: it was a lot of fun. At first.Then the lack of polish and endgame content rears its head after a few months, which is shameful for a four year old game.Then developers were transferred away to work on the more profitable Star Trek Online and the more promising Neverwinter, leaving only a skeleton crew in Champions who barely do any bug fixing and can only manage a few vehicles and ten minute temporary events once a month.Neverwinter might suffer the same fate, from a marketing standpoint the only thing it has distinguishing it from every other fantasy MMO is the Dungeon and Dragons name, and even then it's possible die-hard 2nd and 3rd Edition fans will refuse to play Neverwinter simply because it's loosely based on 4e mechanics and uses 4e lore. If Neverwinter doesn't generate enough profit, then expect reduced developer attention and overpriced, underpowered items (compared to similar items that will be available only in lockboxes) in the cash shop.
    We have end game. It's called the Foundry. And champions sux in general. The combat, story, everything. STO is fixin to put out Romulans and stuff. So people are still paying attention to STO and Neverwinter. I don't get what your saying. Plus who cares if the zen price goes up in the store. I'll just exchange Astral Diamonds for zen like i've been doing for 2 days now. And until you play the game (which is free to play and download) then you can speak. So why don't you try it on the 30th? It costs you nothing but 20 minutes out of your day to download it. If you don't like it, just uninstall it. Simple! Stop complaining or making assumptions until you try it for yourself first.

p.s. Remember it's free to play and download so there is a no lose situation. Hell, you might even like it.

• furbansfurbans Tinbucktwo, IAPosts: 965Member
    Originally posted by Allacore69

I haven't tried Neverwinter, nor do I ever intend to, so obviously my opinion isn't terribly relevant to the game itself, but I am a lifetime subscriber to Champions Online precisely for the same reason a lot of people are liking Neverwinter now: it was a lot of fun. At first.

Then the lack of polish and endgame content rears its head after a few months, which is shameful for a four year old game.

Then developers were transferred away to work on the more profitable Star Trek Online and the more promising Neverwinter, leaving only a skeleton crew in Champions who barely do any bug fixing and can only manage a few vehicles and ten minute temporary events once a month.

Neverwinter might suffer the same fate, from a marketing standpoint the only thing it has distinguishing it from every other fantasy MMO is the Dungeon and Dragons name, and even then it's possible die-hard 2nd and 3rd Edition fans will refuse to play Neverwinter simply because it's loosely based on 4e mechanics and uses 4e lore. If Neverwinter doesn't generate enough profit, then expect reduced developer attention and overpriced, underpowered items (compared to similar items that will be available only in lockboxes) in the cash shop.

We have end game. It's called the Foundry. And champions sux in general. The combat, story, everything. STO is fixin to put out Romulans and stuff. So people are still paying attention to STO and Neverwinter. I don't get what your saying. Plus who cares if the zen price goes up in the store. I'll just exchange Astral Diamonds for zen like i've been doing for 2 days now. And until you play the game (which is free to play and download) then you can speak. So why don't you try it on the 30th? It costs you nothing but 20 minutes out of your day to download it. If you don't like it, just uninstall it. Simple! Stop complaining or making assumptions until you try it for yourself first.

p.s. Remember it's free to play and download so there is a no lose situation. Hell, you might even like it.

The current form of Foundry isn't endgame... at all.  What a real endgame Foundry system be like is what the Persistent Worlds of NWN 1&2 are where you have DM events and an everychanging world.  Foundry will be great RP endgame (if the allow PWs and DM events) but for the PvEers or PvPers I don't see how it will be end game for em at all.  As it is, the Foundry is just a different quest system, like DEs in GW2 (not saying they are DEs but how it serves a different questing system) and we all know how they end up in MMOs.

Foundry has tremendous potential if they allow players the freedom they need.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148 1, NJPosts: 6,690Member
    It isn't horrible, it is just average at best.
  • Eir_SEir_S Argyle, NYPosts: 4,623Member
    Originally posted by MadDemon64
    Originally posted by Xthos

No you did not.  You merely stated your opinion of it.  That does not mean that the hype is wrong.  What you need is to listen to all the reviews/opinions of critics and players alike.  Your one opinion neither validates the hype of the game nor dehypes it.

Speak for yourself.  I've already built a shrine to Xthos and will only be accepting his opinions from now on.  Blasphemer.

• booskAbooskA easton, MDPosts: 79Member
    This is just another hub based, instanced co-op rpg. I wouldn't say it was an MMO at all. I don't think GW2 is MMO either, but it is 10x the MMO this is.
  • Pandaman102Pandaman102 Hong KongPosts: 94Member
    Originally posted by Allacore69

Sorry, guess I didn't make my point very clear. I'm commenting on Cryptic's track record as a developer, not on Neverwinter's quality. You may dislike Champions, but plenty of others liked it (myself included) enough to buy lifetime subscriptions, but that didn't stop it from becoming neglected.

Same goes for Neverwinter. Regardless of how fun or how much you like it, if it doesn't attract enough paying subscribers (which is possible, because anyone who isn't familiar with DnD or dislikes 4th Edition will just see it as another fantasy MMO in a market oversaturated with fantasy MMOs) Cryptic will neglect it in favor of something else.

Again, I'm not bashing Neverwinter or saying it's lacking anything at the moment, I just wanted to point out that beyond the hype of the game people should know what to expect from the developers.

You can either interpret this as me hating on Cryptic or as me advising people to put more money (or convince friends to put more money) into Neverwinter so it can avoid Champions' fate.

• Eir_SEir_S Argyle, NYPosts: 4,623Member
    Originally posted by booskA
    This is just another hub based, instanced co-op rpg. I wouldn't say it was an MMO at all. I don't think GW2 is MMO either, but it is 10x the MMO this is.

Though I can't say I agree or disagree with you based on what little I've played of NW, I can say that it seems to be good for MMORPG.com business to advertise for games that aren't MMO's.  So times are a'changin'.

Stretching definitions = More $$$

• DraemosDraemos Antartica, AKPosts: 1,469Member

I've played all of Cryptics title at launch, and I know what your talking about.

Neverwinter does not share it's predessors launch problems.  It's a very polished game with a surprising amount of complex systems and content for a newly released game.  They literally transplanted the best systems developed for STO and CO and tweaked them to work with the IP, in many ways the game has the work done by both those development teams over the last 4 years rolled up into a launch title.  It's night and day compared to Cryptics other titles at launch.

Nobody cares about the D&d nitpicking. If people really cared about shit like that STO would be a ghost town.  People play fun games, and neverwinter is fun.

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly genevaPosts: 734Member

Not sure why "artificial" hype needed for f2p game.

I don't pay for beta, so not tried it yet, but from review and youtube, game looks cool!

OP, try it for free and if it not your style, just del and forget.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2