Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Camelot Unchained Kickstarter Progress Discussion

Comments

• ReeseFlamelocksReeseFlamelocks Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Unfortunately, MJ should have had more material to present before beginning this Kickstarter. There is just barely enough tangible examples of what he will be doing with this game. Most of what has been doled out have been interviews. Interviews are cheap and words only carry so much weight. Of course it's a tricky balance, because producing real material requires work and cash, hence the Catch 22 of any kickstarter.

Played: UO, DAoC, Shadowbane, DDO, LOTRO, Aion, Rift, TERA
    Sampled: WoW, AoC, GW2, Vanguard, FF XIV, Neverwinter
    Playing: ESO

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Originally posted by Tierless

At this point, what do you guys think gets us more new backers tech or concepts? I think the people that understand tech are in already. The remainder dont care so much about the how as they do the sounds cool.

Any tech other than an awesome Arthurian model is probably useless at this point. That model might capture some people's interest and get them to think, "That's great! I want to play one of those so I better donate." But I think everybody has already gotten the point that Andrew is a C0d3 G0d who can make a great engine for CU.

What we need from Mark is the same thing we've been needing for the past 25 days: info on the RvR meta-game, info on classes, and info on RvR progression. The core game features deserve presentations no less polished and detailed than were given to The Depths, housing, building, mining, and stealthing.

Beyond that, maybe find ways to make the $25 through $50 tiers even more attractive to bring in hundreds and even thousands of fence sitters. Somebody suggested a while back giving alpha access to the first X backers regardless of tier. That would be worth trying. Or bump up the Founders Points on all tiers by a lot.  Or give all tiers an extra free month's subscription or small reduced sub rate. Whatever they can think of to make it worthwhile for people to donate now instead of waiting until the game is about to be released to pre-order.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by ReeseFlamelocks
    Unfortunately, MJ should have had more material to present before beginning this Kickstarter. There is just barely enough tangible examples of what he will be doing with this game. Most of what has been doled out have been interviews. Interviews are cheap and words only carry so much weight. Of course it's a tricky balance, because producing real material requires work and cash, hence the Catch 22 of any kickstarter.

Robert managed to do it with Star Citizen.

Just saying. And he even managed to reach the highest goal in no time. A lot more support there.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by ReeseFlamelocks

Robert managed to do it with Star Citizen.

Just saying. And he even managed to reach the highest goal in no time. A lot more support there.

Their initial goal was 500k with stretch goals from here to the moon. Awful comparison.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Axxar

It's very interesting looking at the Star Citizen kickstarter stats compared to CU.

Star Citizen

Backers: 34,397

Pledged: $2,134,374

Comments: 53,500

Camelot Unchained

Backers: 9,440

Pledged: $1,452,293

Comments: 67,786

Also Elite: Dangerous

Backers: 25,681

Pledged: £1,578,316 (~$2.5m)          (+7 novels and 2 RPG games also separately funded)

Comments: 122,466

The key is number of backers and average level of backing.

CU: average is $155 from 9k

SC: average was $62 from 34k

ED: average was $94 from 26k

Anyone dropping out from the higher tiers before the end will have a disproportionate effect on CU as it doesn't seem to have the numbers to easily make it up with smaller pledges. People waiting until the end will more likely go for the basic level pledges rather than go all in.

edit: also

Shroud of the avatar.

Backers: 22322

Average Pledge Per Backer: $86

Funded: $1,919,275

Originally posted by RefMinor

Shroud of the avatar.

Backers: 22322

Average Pledge Per Backer: $86

Funded: $1,919,275

Good comparison there:

No fan of him either but he had a more fleshed out product (STFU: was compared to CU and again not a fan) least initially and a much more stoic resume.

Still, have my doubts but again his even initial goal was also lower than CU which imo is the main drawback to potential investors.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• What's interesting is that CU has so far only a few backers who also happen to be incredibly generous or hardcore followers. Question is if that's unique to this project or that there simply is a horde of less generous backers waiting to drop in at the last minute. That could lower the overall pledge per backer count as well as adding to the number of backers to be more in line with those other kickstarter projects.
  • meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly

Their initial goal was 500k with stretch goals from here to the moon. Awful comparison.

That's what Mark should have done too. Stuff like housing, mining, and building should have been stretch goals and the initial goal should have been $1 million. This would already have funded if he had done that and all that non-essential stuff still would have made it in anyway when factoring in the PayPal donations after Kickstarter ends.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• MortifyMortify Member Posts: 95

I am not going to state my varied reasons again for the umpteenth time. I know in the beginning some of my posts were deleted but there are others stating my reasons why. If you can't be bothered to look them up I see no reason for typing them out again. 

That was enough reason to stop reading his posts and take him seriously in any way. Just another guy with too many postings and a signature that says a lot about his character.

Backer forums up already?

Methos, Armsman, EU Excalibur
    Jager, Infiltrator, EU Excalibur
    Phos, Cleric, EU Excalibur
    Mortify, Sorcerer, EU Excalibur

• JoekraJoekra Member Posts: 182
    Originally posted by Mortify

That was enough reason to stop reading his posts and take him seriously in any way. Just another guy with too many postings and a signature that says a lot about his character.

Calling postings into question? Should I be as dimwitted as to say your opinion means nothing because you're a forum noob with your amount of posts that would actually be more than mine if you created this account right before this KS began that magically spawned your fairy self?

Oh...I'll be damned you did!  

Hmmmm?

Bringing post count into discussion? You serious?

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Originally posted by Joekra

Calling postings into question? Should I be as dimwitted as to say your opinion means nothing because you're a forum noob with your amount of posts that would actually be more than mine if you created this account right before this KS began that magically spawned your fairy self?

Hmmmm?

Lol, you might want to read the whole thing before commenting.

Originally posted by Soki123

Christ thank you. Was starting to question my own sanity for a second there...hahaha

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

Hmmmm?

In most cases no, but when someone makes up a new account and all their posts are for the same game. 95% of the posts are begging for money, and half your posts/threads are the same exact thing............... yeah!

Its people like that that kept me from joining the KS and donating money. I can not donate to a game where I would be stuck with these people. What they did to CU here on these forums was childish and just down right obnoxious!

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    Originally posted by Onomas

Hmmmm?

In most cases no, but when someone makes up a new account and all their posts are for the same game. 95% of the posts are begging for money, and half your posts/threads are the same exact thing............... yeah!

Its people like that that kept me from joining the KS and donating money. I can not donate to a game where I would be stuck with these people. What they did to CU here on these forums was childish and just down right obnoxious!

I agree, this is why I will not pledge.  You have to wonder why there have been so many paid users all with new accounts and all begging us to go to kickstarter, an dyou have to wonder if they are all the same person as they all say the same thing.  You have to wonder why they are pushing so hard to get folks to pledge.  It bothers me to think that 2 million dollars might go poof,  kind of like stargate worlds. 

It was rather silly yet obvious with some.

Not sure why they would concentrate so much here. I mean the likes of me with uber post counts that was pointed out tends to mean we have too much fucking free time at work.

Originally posted by erictlewis
      It bothers me to think that 2 million dollars might go poof,  kind of like stargate worlds. 

Now that I was unaware of. Was that 2 million KS or "Regular Joe Customer" invested?

• JoekraJoekra Member Posts: 182
    Originally posted by Soki123

Christ thank you. Was starting to question my own sanity for a second there...hahaha

I might have rushed some as I had to brb, apologies :D

Originally posted by dinams

Everyday I come here, click a kickstarter logo and look at the progress

And then I feel a bit of glee

I hope this dont funds

Then all the car sellers/jehova witnesses/annoying people will go away instead of corrupting the wonderful land that is mmorpg.com for 5+ fucking years

Eh...I don't completely agree. I think it can be a useful tool in the right creative hands. My main concern is if it gets neutered by a few projects that fall short in areas that turns off the majority to even considering this as a legitmate prospect.

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

I hope this dont funds

Then all the car sellers/jehova witnesses/annoying people will go away instead of corrupting the wonderful land that is mmorpg.com for 5+ fucking years

Eh...I don't completely agree. I think it can be a useful tool in the right creative hands. My main concern is if it gets neutered by a few projects that fall short in areas that turns off the majority to even considering this as a legitmate prospect.

I should have been more specific

I click a CU kickstarter logo*

I got nothing against KS, I funded a project there

I have a personal vendetta against all the people that hit my face with KS logos and try to gospel me into converting to their faith tho

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

I hope this dont funds

I was actualy hoping this game did get made and released. I like many of its features and the fact the developer wont bend over backwards for the konsole kiddies. Was ready to pledge some money.

But then after reading the forum, well trying to before they combined the posts, kind of turned me off from the player base and community. And as an older gamer to me community is everything when it comes to a mmorpg. Granted not everyone is like that, i agree. But if they will stoop this low here, what will they do in game?

• EllyaEllya Member Posts: 99

I was actualy hoping this game did get made and released. I like many of its features and the fact the developer wont bend over backwards for the konsole kiddies. Was ready to pledge some money.

But then after reading the forum, well trying to before they combined the posts, kind of turned me off from the player base and community. And as an older gamer to me community is everything when it comes to a mmorpg. Granted not everyone is like that, i agree. But if they will stoop this low here, what will they do in game?

I am also an older gamer, Onomas, and I agree that some members of the CU community have gone over the top with the evangelising and urging people to pledge funds.

The thing is, they have passion about the concept of the game. There is a very real possibility that if this game doesn't fund, then nothing like it will surface again for many, many years, if ever.

The vast  majority of the CU community are just like you. Older gamers, who remember how mmorpg's used to be, with communities that worked together.  We want something different to the treadmill, cash shop games that have dominated for the past few years. Nostalgic maybe, but we want a return to the old values, to a different kind of gameplay, where you can really feel like part of the world, part of your realm.

If you do indeed believe that the game has something that you're interested in, then the only chance you have to play it is if it gets funded. And that can only happen if more people pledge the funds. Even the smallest sum would help. :)

• nf4mousnf4mous Member Posts: 45
    Originally posted by erictlewis

I agree, this is why I will not pledge.  You have to wonder why there have been so many paid users all with new accounts and all begging us to go to kickstarter, an dyou have to wonder if they are all the same person as they all say the same thing.  You have to wonder why they are pushing so hard to get folks to pledge.  It bothers me to think that 2 million dollars might go poof,  kind of like stargate worlds. 

enthusiasm for a game now constitutes a major conspiracy theory.  i thought i heard it all.  color me unconvinced to those who say "i would have pledged, but due to a small vocal minority...".    and factually speaking, there's not really much/any past evidence to support your speculation that KS raised funds "go poof".

• nf4mousnf4mous Member Posts: 45

I am not going to state my varied reasons again for the umpteenth time. I know in the beginning some of my posts were deleted but there are others stating my reasons why. If you can't be bothered to look them up I see no reason for typing them out again. Hell...think I reposted them in a featured article here relating to the issue of nostalgia posted last week I believe that should still have my reasoning present.

...and to be clear I never meant this was a cash grab. My point was his goal level for the KS was influenced by the other KS I believe they banked on.

all i see are speculative posts after speculative posts without any facts or evidence.  it's not surprising to me so many of your posts were removed.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by SoMuchMass
    Originally posted by Alber_gamer  
    As adults, we understand that sub-based games are from the stone age.
    As adults, we understand that B2P and F2P are sub par products that can't hold a player base.  Those type of MMOs are made for the tourist MMO player that moves from one MMO to another.  Played tons of these supposed B2P and F2P games and most were pretty bad including the so called "savior" GW2 (in which I lasted 10 hours). They are out to make a quick buck and cash in.

As an immature GW2 Fascist, I kitten know both of you kittens need to kitten stop making kitten petty generalizations and presenting your kitten opinion as fact.

• ArcherBullseyeArcherBullseye Member Posts: 77

You guys should stick to facts... :-)

Distribution of Unsuccessful Projects by Funding Threshold

Source: http://gigaom.com/2012/06/28/analyzing-kickstarter-what-succeeds-by-how-much-and-how-often/