Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kickstarter trending and statistics

Comments

• ElronirElronir Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Originally posted by Rigamortis
    Originally posted by topographic
    Originally posted by anvilcrawler
    Regardless of how niche the game is, I strongly feel that lack of stretch goals may have been a detriment. As someone noted (not sure if it was in this thread or another), the Kickstarter community loves stretch goals in my limited experience.

They also like to see an actual game prototype, not an essay on game design -- in my limited experience, of course.

In my limited experience,  I believe they have shown one today.....but my experience is limited,  of course.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/383539/Open-Tech-Demo-2.html

-Rig

I really don't want to sound like a troll, Daoc had a huge impact on me when I was a teenager, but this is more like a tech demo of a really bad engine than a game prototype. I paid 8 $ for the pre-alpha of Mounts and blades that looked better than this in 2004/2005.

On a side note, this is the first KS where my interest actually declined over time. I started on a 110 pledge and now I am on the 25 $ one. If I look at Divinity: origin, I started with a 25 $ pledge for the games and ended with the 95 $ physical version. I was so happy to learn it reached the 1 million stretch goal this morning, because these guys seems so passionnate and honest about their game. 

I don't have the same emotion with Camelot,  it's like giving 25 $ to charity and hope for the best in 3 years. I am sorry, I am normally the silent reader, but this whole ks started on a high note for me (and maybe I had too much faith in that tech demo they had been advertsing for a while), but this is just depressing.

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    Guys, the demo today was a *networking tech demo*.  Keep in in context, yeah?
  • Elevenb4Elevenb4 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    Originally posted by redcapp

What is that? I'm not trolling. I know all the people that are much more tech savy than me might see this and be exicted. I don't know as much so this video to me is poo poo. I really want this game succeed,  because my first MMO's were AC, EQ1 and DAoC. I only played DAoC a little and the only reason I didn't stick with it is because my friends were already in EQ and AC. But those three games were good. So, here's to hoping....

-Unconstitutional laws aren't laws.-

• StilerStiler Member Posts: 599
    Originally posted by Elevenb4

What is that? I'm not trolling. I know all the people that are much more tech savy than me might see this and be exicted. I don't know as much so this video to me is poo poo. I really want this game succeed,  because my first MMO's were AC, EQ1 and DAoC. I only played DAoC a little and the only reason I didn't stick with it is because my friends were already in EQ and AC. But those three games were good. So, here's to hoping....

It means that the pople in the game were from all around the world, not in-house playing from CSE.

That shows the network capability of the engine so far with people playing online (just like you need for an mmo to function).

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by Rigamortis
    Originally posted by anvilcrawler
    Regardless of how niche the game is, I strongly feel that lack of stretch goals may have been a detriment. As someone noted (not sure if it was in this thread or another), the Kickstarter community loves stretch goals in my limited experience.

They also like to see an actual game prototype, not an essay on game design -- in my limited experience, of course.

In my limited experience,  I believe they have shown one today.....but my experience is limited,  of course.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/383539/Open-Tech-Demo-2.html

-Rig

This video would make me want to back out. Glad I never pledged anything. While i"m excited for the concept of the game, like many have said, I don't support ideas. That video didn't give me much faith in the project to be honest. Flame me if you want, but if a company is asking me for money, they better show something better than that.

Yeah, I don't know what glasses the CU devotees are looking through, but rose-colored is an understatement.

I'll be honest, and it hurts to say this. When I heard about CU, I was hyped, a lot. Not to the point of pledging (yet) but I was hyped. I was thinking, finally! This vid has taken my air if you will. Rosecolored is an understatement. What are they thinking releasing stuff like this? I wouldn't be surprised if this actually caused more people to back out.

Game hasn't even funded yet, this is just a network test and a chance to see the engine working.

However, I have said this before, releasing things like this is dangerous because 90% of gamers will simply watch the video and make a snap judgement ignoring the context.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Stiler

It means that the pople in the game were from all around the world, not in-house playing from CSE.

That shows the network capability of the engine so far with people playing online (just like you need for an mmo to function).

Yay? If you honestly think that video helped them meeting their benchmark I'm not sure what to tell you. Did it prove some things from an engine standpoint? Yes it did. Did it effect the whole overview of this game for the public in general? Not in the fucking slightest.

If anything that video hurt them. If you really think that video showed why they need a two million dollar benchmark then I'm not sure what to tell you. What I can say is that video will not only not accomplish that task but could send some backers out or to lower tiers.

/resets rubber duckie on tophat

It may very well be for IT savvy folks that was a great video. For anyone else that watch it that was an avid reason to exclaim "WTF?!"

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607

I've been watching from the sidelines for awhile, and finally decided to throw in my 2c on this game. I really want an RvR game, but I feel like this project has been very... shall we say, improvised in all aspects. That applies to the way the tiers are set up to the information that's been presented. There just isn't anything that's been done so far that makes me feel confident in handing these guys some of my money, and I'm not the type of person to part with my money on a whim. I feel like there was a, "Hey what if we tried this" moment with very ltitle planning beforehand. 

Also a sub fee for a game that only offers RvR sort of rubs me the wrong way. I could be okay with it if a sub costed $5 or something. In any case, I hope it funds for the sake of the people who believe in this project, but unless something big happens in the next few days, I don't think I'll be able to help out. 

• DanwarrDanwarr Member CommonPosts: 185

It doesn't matter what we say, people will still think that is what the game is supposed to be like at release.

CSE has an amazing team and has done some amazing things in the last few weeks, but not that many people care because they are too dumb to understand what is actually going on.

Waiting: CU, WildStar, Destiny, Eternal Crusade
    Playing: ESO,DCUO
    Played: LotRO,RIFT,ToR,Warhammer, Runescape

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Danwarr

It doesn't matter what we say, people will still think that is what the game is supposed to be like at release.

CSE has an amazing team and has done some amazing things in the last few weeks, but not that many people care because they are too dumb to understand what is actually going on.

Lol

Yes...the game may not reach its two million mark because people are just too stupid. Nice logic there.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

if any other company showed that video,  let's say for example Funcom.  they would be the laughing stock of this forum for years.  wether it's a "tech demo" or not.  that video did them no good,  from a marketing stand point.

• SorninSornin Member Posts: 1,133

Though I do not agree with the tone nor the motives of most of the people attacking the networking tech demo, I do agree that it is not what Camelot Unchained needs right now.

I am not sure why CSE continually is "preaching to the choir" instead of seeking out new backers. These demos are something only fans who already pledged are going to get excited about. Now, I will grant that different teams do different things, so this may not take away from the team working on lore or combat or art. However, there has not been enough about RvR and combat, and time is running out.

I think players want to see videos, or at least design documents, about RvR, the horizontal progression scheme, and class theory and design. It does not all have to be set in stone, but seeing Mark just discussing ideas so potential backers can see a general direction would be nice. We are 25 days in and thing this game is about - RvR - has been the least dicussed thing.

How will territory control work? What are people fighting to achieve? How will a veteran player and a newbie be differentiated in terms of power and/or abilities? How will some of the classes work?

This is the meat and potatoes, and I really, really hope CSE gets this information out there before the eleventh hour so people get excited and pledge.

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

Lol

Yes...the game may not reach its two million mark because people are just too stupid. Nice logic there.

I never said any such thing. If the game doesn't fund, it will be because not enough people are interested in funding a niche product that is still has 2-3 years left in its development cycle.

What is stupid are people thinking that a network tech demo showing off an engine built from sratch will be what the final product looks like.

That was not an alpha build. That was not even an internal testing build. It was engine test and nothing more than that.

CSE wants the backers to feel more involved in the development process for CU, which is why they opened that demo up to people from around the world. This is really the first time I've seen a MMO developer show every stage of development for a game to the general public so the developer can recieve feedback and gamers how the game is coming.

It's quite fascinating really.

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

What is stupid are people thinking that a network tech demo showing off an engine built from sratch will be what the final product looks like.

That was not an alpha build. That was not even an internal testing build. It was engine test and nothing more than that.

CSE wants the backers to feel more involved in the development process for CU, which is why they opened that demo up to people from around the world. This is really the first time I've seen a MMO developer show every stage of development for a game to the general public so the developer can recieve feedback and gamers how the game is coming.

No, what is 'stupid' (if you want to call it that) is CSE not knowing their market - and knowing that a great many people would not be impressed by that.  And not knowing the mentality of the audience here (PvP MMO gamers).

I mean, if you consider all the vast experience these people supposedly have in the industry... the whole KS campaign has been very poorly managed.

And if it gets funded...CSE are looking at a world of pain trying to deliver any sort of a game with a bunch of fans breathing down their necks the whole time.

About two weeks ago someone here raised a good point - that was that if you asked 10 of the backers what sort of game CU would be they probably all had very different ideas?  I would suggest that that remains true today.  The biggest issue that creates is that apparently so many of them are absolutely passionate about their particular version.  These people are very hard to please - and in this case it would be made doubly difficult by the fact that so many of them have already put in enough money that they would feel they deserve to have a very real say.

But anyway, it has been so badly done, with many updates feeling like they have been just rustled up and tacked on to try to generate any kind of support... that it looks less and less likely to succeed anyway.

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

Originally posted by Gyrus

No, what is 'stupid' (if you want to call it that) is CSE not knowing their market - and knowing that a great many people would not be impressed by that.  And not knowing the mentality of the audience here (PvP MMO gamers).

I definitely think that Mark and CSE thought there might be a bit more interest in terms of people wanting to fund the game via Kickstarter. Mark stated previously that pre-orders for most, not all, PC games are generally lower than the number of people who actually end up playing the game. Following that line of thinking, you would generally expect there to be fewer people wanting to pay for a product that will be released 2-3 years down the road.

I mean, if you consider all the vast experience these people supposedly have in the industry... the whole KS campaign has been very poorly managed.

I would have to agree that the Kickstarter has not been managed as well as it could've been.

And if it gets funded...CSE are looking at a world of pain trying to deliver any sort of a game with a bunch of fans breathing down their necks the whole time.

About two weeks ago someone here raised a good point - that was that if you asked 10 of the backers what sort of game CU would be they probably all had very different ideas?  I would suggest that that remains true today.  The biggest issue that creates is that apparently so many of them are absolutely passionate about their particular version.  These people are very hard to please - and in this case it would be made doubly difficult by the fact that so many of them have already put in enough money that they would feel they deserve to have a very real say.

I think most backers would agree that at its very core, they expect CU to be a three faction RvR game with no PvE leveling track or instance/raid PvE content. Everything else is up for change.

But anyway, it has been so badly done, with many updates feeling like they have been just rustled up and tacked on to try to generate any kind of support... that it looks less and less likely to succeed anyway.

• TigsKCTigsKC Member UncommonPosts: 187
    Originally posted by Sornin

Though I do not agree with the tone nor the motives of most of the people attacking the networking tech demo, I do agree that it is not what Camelot Unchained needs right now.

I am not sure why CSE continually is "preaching to the choir" instead of seeking out new backers. These demos are something only fans who already pledged are going to get excited about. Now, I will grant that different teams do different things, so this may not take away from the team working on lore or combat or art. However, there has not been enough about RvR and combat, and time is running out.

I think players want to see videos, or at least design documents, about RvR, the horizontal progression scheme, and class theory and design. It does not all have to be set in stone, but seeing Mark just discussing ideas so potential backers can see a general direction would be nice. We are 25 days in and thing this game is about - RvR - has been the least dicussed thing.

How will territory control work? What are people fighting to achieve? How will a veteran player and a newbie be differentiated in terms of power and/or abilities? How will some of the classes work?

This is the meat and potatoes, and I really, really hope CSE gets this information out there before the eleventh hour so people get excited and pledge.

While CSE convinced me weeks ago, I think you are 100% correct for a large part of the target audience.  I have argued here (and elsewhere) that specifc and narrow details are not required at this stage, but I agree the large topics of class, combat and RvR gameplay need to be brought into better focus.

I still think there is opporunity to provide these kinds of updates in the next few days to energize the believers and win over the skeptics.

• Niix_OzekNiix_Ozek Member Posts: 397
    It's amazing these issues havnt been the focus of a tri realm rvr game during this kick starter
    Way too much focus about crafting has been talked about and not nearly enough about classes races combat

Sad because its a pvp rvr game
    Gg cse, lets see a good update for once please

Ozek - DAOC
    Niix - Other games that sucked

• BahzBahz Member UncommonPosts: 182
    All the high tiers are gone, so I dont see em funding...people can't increase their pledge as there is nothing available.
  • KelmantorKelmantor Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by Bahz
    All the high tiers are gone, so I dont see em funding...people can't increase their pledge as there is nothing available.

I agree that this might become an issue. But there's an easy fix for that: You simply add more high tiers.. 

• Originally posted by Bahz

There's still plenty of people who can increase their pledge. For example I've pledged $25. I could upgrade to $150 if I wanted. Or $3000. And I'm not the only one by a longshot.

Not that I'm going to, but others might.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Kelmantor

I agree that this might become an issue. But there's an easy fix for that: You simply add more high tiers.. 

Don't even have to add extra high tiers (unless you really need to speed things up).

There's still 320 slots open in the $750 or higher tiers. Fill those and $350K will be in the bag.

Well, with average 365 pledges a day you know that wont happen in 1-2 days. The average is pledge is 160, so they need those high tiers. I also noticed many people with the "single" mountain house, switched to the "twin", which is now also sold out.
  • Duvall_LoboDuvall_Lobo Member Posts: 10
    "My guess they hit 1M within 24 hous......lots of people interested actually have jobs now and need to get home.....
    large base of daoc players 30+ yrs old"

Hey! I resemble that!
  • MoraxoMoraxo Member Posts: 17
    Well, with average 365 pledges a day you know that wont happen in 1-2 days. The average is pledge is 160, so they need those high tiers. I also noticed many people with the "single" mountain house, switched to the "twin", which is now also sold out.

But the last day backer numbers are above average, today alone they're at 550 and rising. If it continues to grow at this rate we might see well over 1000 on the final day. And while the per-backer average was $260 2 days ago and $240 yesterday, it's at $180 today, so the little backers are becoming increasingly valuable.

After all, todays $100'000+ pledge total doesn't come from half a dozen mountain houses.

Edit: typo

Originally posted by Moraxo

But the last day backer numbers are above average, today alone they're at 550 and rising. If it continues to grow at this rate we might see well over 1000 on the final day. And while the per-backer average was $260 2 days ago and $240 yesterday, it's at $180 today, so the little backers are becoming increasingly valuable.

After all, todays $100'000+ pledge total doesn't come from half a dozen mountain houses.

Edit: typo

Maybe its because im in a different timezone (central europe), but I see different number. We are at 238 backers today, 443 yesterday.

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained/#chart-daily

• MoraxoMoraxo Member Posts: 17

I'm using http://hive.borg-collective.org.uk/cuks.php?i=d for daily totals and number of backers, seems more reliable to me ;)

Eventhough it's not as readable. It gives you totals for all previous days, a total for the last 24 hours, the ongoing numbers of the current days as well as a projection for the end of the day. And they actually start and end their days when the KS does, too.

The kicktraq clock seems to be a couple hours off, yeah. Their numbers from today are apparently from about the last 8 hours. But anyway, since their day started later we'll see it increase from "tomorrows" pledges as well.

According http://www.kickstat.net/kscamelot/camelotks.php we're also above the previous days, and even just looking at the curve you can get an idea of where this is headed.

This discussion has been closed.