Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Darkfall’s Disgusting HOGGs

Comments

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    The should have got a permanent ban. [mod edit]. I remember daoc and shadow bane in beta and launch ( to those hardcore players, shadow bane was more hardcore then darkfall) we had maybe a few people who acted like that but not as many as we see now, not even close. Seems some of these people getting their kicks out of bullying people online as one stated above are real cowards, Internet tough guys that most likely have a hard life or never grew up in the first place, let alone have any real responsibilities ect. I watched the video and to be honest I am not surprised,. For one, that is starting to be the norm in a lot of mmos now adays and I think it's sad, I would KILL to play online games with people who are talkative, respectful and polite, but that's not going to happen, so what I do is ignore general chat on most mmos and don't say a word only to those few I deem my friends. Back in the EQ days the community was amazing , I've spoke to a lot of very friendly people, respectful people and whom we all enjoyed the company of the others and got quests done, most of us met in real life and formed strong friendships, now, it's more then likely you would like to find these rude littles pricks and beat the snot outta them. I find it sad that people have to treat others like that poor person playing the game and trying to fish, just pisses me the right off!
  • AzarithAzarith Member UncommonPosts: 52
    Griefers flood FFA sandbox > greifer community actively tries to get people to not play the game > playerbase declines > devs get layed off >  game dies out > griefers beg for a new FFA sandbox MMO > investors not likely to invest in an AAA quality FFA sandbox in the future > indie studio does their best to put out a FFA sandbox >>> and repeat the whole thing over again.

• Lex_TalionesLex_Taliones Member Posts: 38
    I think it's kind of sad the way he keeps using the term "tactics".  Like what they are doing is some kind of difficult skill, or ability they "mastered" to play ... when all it really is is a bunch of dumbassses who have no real skill to play and have to try and ruing other people's games.  Kind of like masturbating while cutting a guy off in traffic.

• WylfWylf Member UncommonPosts: 376
    A temporary ban is a joke. All it did was give the losers notoriety.
  • darkedone02darkedone02 Member UncommonPosts: 581
    This is the reason why i avoided games like this because of that open pvp/free looting system that exist, that if I die i will lose everything in my inventory and what i wear. All that hard-earned gear being taken thanks to somebody who killed for no reason and grab my loot and most like spit on my corpse for being a weakling. I hate this feature because it attracts people like this, and causes me to get extremely pissed off at this game that i totally don't even want to hear about this pathatic game anymore. I see this game immediately filled with people who like to cause misery, pain, and torment. A game only for cold-hearted players like the people who play DOTA 2 and League of Legends, screaming at the mic, calling you a noob, trolling the hell out of you because you failed to meet their expectation, failed to become smart and think like a hive mind, failed to speak their language that is not english, and reporting you over stupid shit, hoping you get banned by the admins. I see E-sport, MOBA, and games that support open PvP looting contain these filthly punks in the game and must be avoided and declared as a bad game similar to the awful games that EA made, as they support these types of gameplay elements that make people turn into these horrible people.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    I dont think there is anything wrong with a tempory ban. But how long was it for? If not at least a month the players who did this will learn nothing,
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Scot
    I dont think there is anything wrong with a tempory ban. But how long was it for? If not at least a month the players who did this will learn nothing,

Doubt they care. No investment in the game.

It isn't about punishment; nothing you do could do qualifies as punishment, you can't reform them, and the company is powerless to make them "feel bad" at all.

The best you can do is isolate the rest the population from them & vice versa; same theory as asylums and prisons.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• AyulinAyulin Member Posts: 334
    Originally posted by Pie_Rat
    Originally posted by eisenryu

Trolling people then posting copious videos on it on YouTube, making the community look like absolute shit and turning people away from the game is something that I would classify as a major offense to any developer/publisher. Permaban is the only way to go.

Ok seen like that I guess it could be considered a major offense. I was being a little short sighted I guess. Besides, we all know what the first thing these idiots are gonna do when they eventually log in again....grief more.

I'm just generally into giving people a second chance. Maybe that's not the way to go here, I dunno.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433
    Originally posted by Cirin

[mod edit]

So let me get straight what you're saying here.

If someone gets griefed but doesn't know how to adequately react to it, for example because they aren't so experienced and educationally and intellectually superior as yourself, they cease to be victims.

That is some pretty warped logic there. In fact, it's griefer and borderline psychopathic logic in itself: "If they can't defend themselves it's OK", is what you're saying here.

Players who are pestered by other players, for the sole reason that those people (like the makers of the video) enjoy seeing others suffer or because they are after some form of internet infamy, are victims regardless of their ability to fight back.

Now, one could argue that the game in question is a welcome haven for that kind of behaviour in the first place. Except the fact that the terms of service for the game and the fact that the offenders in question did get banned, objectively suggests otherwise.

In my opinion, these kinds of people are attention whores. They're probably snickering behind their screens at all the reactions they're getting.

Only solution is to ignore them and dish out permabans for further offensive behaviour.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• znaiikaznaiika Member Posts: 203

What did you people expect from pure pvp game, you'll always have to deal with hacking, trolling and greiffing.

If you think baning payers is the option, you're dead wrong, simply, change game mechanics which alow greiffers to greif, so they couln't greif.

• stuxstux Member Posts: 462

This Article is realy over blowing the effects these idiots are actually cabable of.

I recall in DF1.0 they came and made some posts about how they were going to drive people away and all this nonsense.

I never saw them in game or heard of anyone who did and they stopped posting in about two weeks.

It seems like that is all they do.  They try and make a forum presence, annoy a few people, get some attention, then they leave.

If they stay at it AV will just perma ban them and people like this don't have the money to keep buying accounts and getting banned over and over.

They are really nothing and make no impact on anything.

It wasn't worth bringing them up to just give them some attention that they are looking for.

Basically, you just brought up a nat that you chased out of your house.....not really worth mentioning..

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by eyelolled
    Originally posted by zellmer

The company giving in was the disgusting part. 

I'm amazed that anyone would actually hold that opinion, except for the griefers of course. 

Wouldn't it be interesting if cyber-bullying ended up being a federal offense punishable by jail time (which should and will happen) and in-game griefers potentially could be charged under the same premise.

Interesting? More like pathetic... So called "cyber bullying" is typical of a certain nanny state mentality.  Its only words on a screen.  They have no more import than what one assigns to them.   Getting Mordor on the Potomac involved, is a VERY bad idea.

That having been said, they should have perma banned those clowns.   They went WAY out of their way to ruin other players game experience.  Not only that, they recorded it and then posted it online.  Thats bad for a games reputation, and its business model.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Originally posted by Azarith
    Griefers flood FFA sandbox > greifer community actively tries to get people to not play the game > playerbase declines > devs get layed off >  game dies out > griefers beg for a new FFA sandbox MMO > investors not likely to invest in an AAA quality FFA sandbox in the future > indie studio does their best to put out a FFA sandbox >>> and repeat the whole thing over again.

It really is a vicious cycle, but everytime we ask for someone to do something different with these sandbox games its the same exact format.......

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844
    Originally posted by Theocritus
    Originally posted by Azarith

It really is a vicious cycle, but everytime we ask for someone to do something different with these sandbox games its the same exact format.......

If they were playing ffa sandbox they would be dead in few minutes.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• ErowErow Member Posts: 14
    *wry grin.  Gotta admit this is the most entertainment I have had in a while.  It is amazing how low some griefers will sink to visit misery on other people.  Griefing in a safe zone OMG! Lol.
  • Azmyth33Azmyth33 Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Originally posted by Aeolron
    The should have got a permanent ban. [mod edit] I remember daoc and shadow bane in beta and launch ( to those hardcore players, shadow bane was more hardcore then darkfall) we had maybe a few people who acted like that but not as many as we see now, not even close. Seems some of these people getting their kicks out of bullying people online as one stated above are real cowards, Internet tough guys that most likely have a hard life or never grew up in the first place, let alone have any real responsibilities ect. I watched the video and to be honest I am not surprised,. For one, that is starting to be the norm in a lot of mmos now adays and I think it's sad, I would KILL to play online games with people who are talkative, respectful and polite, but that's not going to happen, so what I do is ignore general chat on most mmos and don't say a word only to those few I deem my friends. Back in the EQ days the community was amazing , I've spoke to a lot of very friendly people, respectful people and whom we all enjoyed the company of the others and got quests done, most of us met in real life and formed strong friendships, now, it's more then likely you would like to find these rude littles pricks and beat the snot outta them. I find it sad that people have to treat others like that poor person playing the game and trying to fish, just pisses me the right off!

Well said.  I'm not sure which is a 'sadder' state of affairs - two fools annoying / "griefing" a person who is harvesting, or actually then talking over those same pathetic actions and posting it to YouTube.  They are obviously very proud of themselves, and perhaps they can have a chat about it while they wait for the first-period bell to ring...children.

• RealedazedRealedazed Member UncommonPosts: 105

Ok excuse my newb-ness. I'm new to open PVP games. But why is it that open pvp (with full loot, I guess) have to equal griefing? I read the thread linked to in the article and people keep saying it over and over. The only PVP games that I have experience with is Salem and Age of Wushu and I just started playing those. What I get from those games is to "learn how to fight and defend your self when needed" and "don't sweat getting killed; its just part of the game." I guess since this type of game is pretty new to me, I just don't see how griefing - especially when you have to go out of your way to do so - has to be a part of it.

• DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479

This griefing specifically had nothing to do with PVP.

They chose to make sure and do it where someone couldn't kill him/them , as is there usual way.

HOGG is know for being pansies , runners , and all around not very good.

Not a fan of Goons etc , but they are nothing to be compared as they still actually fight.

If you google HOGG and specifically the poster of the video , you can find people making fun of him and them for years on the AoC forums and other places.

The other guilds in DF want to actually PVP , whether they are annoying or ganking or whatever , but HOGG only wants to do things where they cant be killed as they are really , really not very good at actual gameplay.

• ego13ego13 Member Posts: 267

While it is pitiful that these guys went to the lengths they did, it is FAR MORE pitiful that people make such asinine comments as to suggest that "cyber-bullying" be a federal offense.

Wow..

This is why children now are afraid of any and everything.  This is why humanity is going down hill.  Everyone is wussified so much that they would rather shelter everyone than teach them coping skills.  Yes...they were in the wrong, but you seriously don't think the guy swearing at the "griefers" was equally at wrong?  He handled the situation poorly as well.

In so many ways, minus technology, the 50s were better.  Men were men...women were women and people would tell you to get thicker skin if you were crying over something stupid.  Now, instead of coping skills we teach apathy and sheltering, so kids end up imploding one day leaving x amount dead at y event/location.

Just because every car has similar features doesn't mean that Ferraris are copies of Model Ts. Progress requires failure and refining.

Yet in the 50's women were treated unfairly, so many people couldn't stand up for what they believe in because it was the norm back then.

While I will say yes having a thicker skin does indeed help,. But that does not correct the problem , it makes it worse. It's time that people like these griefers get disciplined , no way is it the fault of the people getting griefed.

People who choose to act like that are simply not happy with their lives so they take it on others to make them feel good. These "griefers" are probably the same type of people that course others into committing suicide and that mentality needs to change with the extreme cases of jail time.

The guys who made this video need a ip ban from this game and in all rights should be black listed from other games as well,. We don't need this "type" in the games , activities we enjoy, simple as that.
  • ego13ego13 Member Posts: 267
    Originally posted by Aeolron
    Yet in the 50's women were treated unfairly, so many people couldn't stand up for what they believe in because it was the norm back then.

While I will say yes having a thicker skin does indeed help,. But that does not correct the problem , it makes it worse. It's time that people like these griefers get disciplined , no way is it the fault of the people getting griefed.

People who choose to act like that are simply not happy with their lives so they take it on others to make them feel good. These "griefers" are probably the same type of people that course others into committing suicide and that mentality needs to change with the extreme cases of jail time.

The guys who made this video need a ip ban from this game and in all rights should be black listed from other games as well,. We don't need this "type" in the games , activities we enjoy, simple as that.

No...simple psychology (101 even) would enlighten you to the fact that they're just wanting a reaction.  The kid in the film was reacting...over and over and over and over.  Giving them the reinforcement that they were doing what they intended.  If you don't throw them the bone, they don't get their reward and they get bored and go do something else or (try) to harrass someone else.  It's only because people buy into it that they continue.

Now...is it likely that everyone will be able to ignore them?  No...sadly humanity is weak-willed as a whole and therefore they react easily.

Just because every car has similar features doesn't mean that Ferraris are copies of Model Ts. Progress requires failure and refining.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by Wraithone

I'm amazed that anyone would actually hold that opinion, except for the griefers of course. 

Wouldn't it be interesting if cyber-bullying ended up being a federal offense punishable by jail time (which should and will happen) and in-game griefers potentially could be charged under the same premise.

Interesting? More like pathetic... So called "cyber bullying" is typical of a certain nanny state mentality.  Its only words on a screen.  They have no more import than what one assigns to them.   Getting Mordor on the Potomac involved, is a VERY bad idea.

That having been said, they should have perma banned those clowns.   They went WAY out of their way to ruin other players game experience.  Not only that, they recorded it and then posted it online.  Thats bad for a games reputation, and its business model.

Actually cyber-bullying is a real problem causing suicides in teens from having their photos and such passed among social media.  This IS a real problem, and there is a very large percentage of people wanting legal ability to prosecute the people who perform these types of crimes. 

I recognize the difference between griefing and cyberbullying but there is going to be legislation and if it put griefers into hot water, well, I probably wouldn't care.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

Cirin, I agree with you on the " throwing the bone bit" but man, a line HAS to be drawn, and like it or not these things will get worse if it is not dealt with.

In the old days if a bully was harassing me I would beat the crap outta him and the issue would be resolved, but since this is on the Internet, ignoring the problem will not work, it might in some case but of the 90% of them out there it won't work.

The people causing these sorts of problems need to be know. To local authorities in their resident area, that will correct the problem in most cases, do a similar law were they track sexual predators.
  • mordicai052mordicai052 Member Posts: 15
    Originally posted by Cirin
    Originally posted by Wraithone

Actually cyber-bullying is a real problem causing suicides in teens from having their photos and such passed among social media.  This IS a real problem, and there is a very large percentage of people wanting legal ability to prosecute the people who perform these types of crimes. 

I recognize the difference between griefing and cyberbullying but there is going to be legislation and if it put griefers into hot water, well, I probably wouldn't care.

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

The temp ban of this guild almost makes me think AV is interested in actually making money instead of providing a litterbox for jerks to grief each other in until the servers shut down due to all the actual paying players quitting.

• ClownsanityClownsanity Member Posts: 5

Only an innocent newbie of online games could not imagine that games like Darkfall would not have a ton of trolls, flamers, griefers, stalkers, etc; usually games like this one gather around itself the most elitist and unwanted people; i am glad to Darkfall for to exist because from now all these bad people can go to ruin the fun each other in this game instead to wander around in other games.

From the time of UO, full loot means a lot of of things and 90% of them are not positive, good luck to the moderators of Darkfall, i for sure don't be jealous of their work!