Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Darkfall’s Disgusting HOGGs

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

"The gimp..."

Reminds me of Pulp Fiction and the gimp the 2 rednecks kept chained in the basement...

Movies or MMOs, same type of people doing the same type of things.

And btw, this is just the guys who got caught...

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Only a guild of slack-minded losers would get their jollies off of doing such retarded activities.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• possessed1possessed1 Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Hardicon ht the nail on the head, for me personally.
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by adino32
    Originally posted by asmkm22

What's really bad, is that so much of the darkfall community is accepting of this kind of behavior. It's literally a game that caters to some of the worst kinds of people on the internet (not talking illegal stuff here).

As long as DFUW is ok with targeting that particular audience, then I guess it works for them.  I just can't see that being the best business decision to make.

Their TOS pretty clearly states that griefing is not allowed.  However, it is one thing to put in a generic ToS and another to actively enforce.  According to the some the reason DF1 died is because it purged anyone but hardcore pvp players through natural evolution of the game.  Thus now in DFUW you got saef zones and actual rules and to be fair they did ban them, but just reading the forum thread; AV has a long way to go if they actually want to prevent exactly what happened in DF1 and not let it happen in DFUW.

I don't think a true sandbox PVP is a sustainable business model.  Not even for small gaming companies trying to corner a niche market.  Hell no to AAA MMOs.

I know I played DF1 for about 2 hours, before quitting.  It was nonstop racial slurs, bigotry, and swearing for the sake of swearing.  I'm not even religious and I found the whole experience to be offensive, in a juvenile way.  You can judge a person by the company he keeps; it looked really bad for Aventurine to be condoning that kind of atmosphere.

They need to crack down on stuff right now, and hard.  If not, they'll never really grow any larger than they were with DF1, because all of the game mechanics in the world don't make a difference if the people you are playing with suck.

You make me like charity

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

Most EULA have wording of the sort that says, if you negatively affect our customer base and therefore revenue stream we can take action against you.  Again there is usually a section that says just because an exploit exists you are not free to use it.  Any lawyer or cop will tell you that in a free country, your freedom ends when it interferes with someone else's freedom.  Meaning you don’t have the freedom to be dickish (again a Wheatonisms).

The next time I read a thread here, promoting an exploit, and calling it a strategy. I will post a link to this article.  The next time a read a phishing thread for one of these types of games I will post a link to this article.  I will let these blatant exploiters and greifers know that their membership email in HOGG is on the way.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• shalissarshalissar Member UncommonPosts: 509

I'm sorry, I went into his profile and his fingernails are just.. Ugh. I'm sorry I know it shouldn't bother me that much but, who takes a picture of themselves with dirty fingernails up close?

Anyways, I get that DF is supposed to be this really hardcore ganky stuff, but bugging people in safe zones is not alright and I'm happy they were banned. "Lure him out to the pvp zone!" You say? Well not everyone is rolling with a group right off the bat and it doesn't guarantee that he's dumb enough to follow you, or dumb enough not to have a few friends of his own.

My understanding was that the starting safe zone at least is a place where you can get accustomed to the game. Some fat slob and his silly friends exploiting fresh players deserve a temp ban. I wouldn't go for perma ban though.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    The game lends itself to the total jerk types and people are shocked when there's a guild full of jerks?....And you people wonder why alot of us will have nothing to do with full loot PVP?
  • trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222
    This is what's wrong with PvP. Most of the people interested are really just wanting to grief/gank people. And they always find a way to.

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

^ ganking is not griefing.

I'm glad darkfall is cracking down on griefing this time, but please themepark players there is a difference.

My blog: image

• deveilbladdeveilblad Member UncommonPosts: 193

Does the guy in the video think he's being all profound and understanding psychology when he says about twenty times ''what happens in the mind of a gimp'' - BTW, what IS a gimp ? It's certainly misused in that video lol... And what is ''the fear of gain''...seriously lol ? Also, his video looks like some sort of tutorial on harrassment... Is he actually deluded enough to think that people are going to do this kind of thing ? Well, except the douche already in his clan lol !

Anyway, they are just loosing their time, just log out for 2 minutes, they'll go away, relog and keep doing your stuff in another part of the map lol...

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

Gimp means less than, lacking or otherwise not able to compete on the same level as others.

ie a gimp mask robs you of some of your senses.

I'm not sure why he uses the word to talk about his victims.

I've heard it said if you go first person they can't break line of sight or its harder to do.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    AV deserves at least equal blame. It was they that designed the game mechanics these players were using, and set things up to play that way on purpose. Couple that with the fact that AV is glacially slow at fixing exploits and closing obvious weaknesses in gameplay mechanics. I am surprised that AV did anything to clamp down on the kind of behavior they nailed the HOGG players for, because the same kind of thing was all over DF1 forever, with nothing happening.
  • grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153
    Originally posted by Burntvet
    AV deserves at least equal blame. It was they that designed the game mechanics these players were using, and set things up to play that way on purpose. Couple that with the fact that AV is glacially slow at fixing exploits and closing obvious weaknesses in gameplay mechanics. I am surprised that AV did anything to clamp down on the kind of behavior they nailed the HOGG players for, because the same kind of thing was all over DF1 forever, with nothing happening.

This is incorrect.  It's an exploit.  Players who knowingly use exploits in MMO games have been warned/suspended/banned since 1999.  These guys were using an exploit, and violating the TOS with regards to griefing other players. That's two bannable offenses.  The only thing that Aventurine did wrong here is not perma-banning the accounts.

The orange part... Think about what you just wrote.  You are suprised that Aventurine is taking action to correct the flaws that sunk their first game.  Huh?

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by grimfall

Originally posted by Burntvet

This is incorrect.  It's an exploit.  Players who knowingly use exploits in MMO games have been warned/suspended/banned since 1999.  These guys were using an exploit, and violating the TOS with regards to griefing other players. That's two bannable offenses.  The only thing that Aventurine did wrong here is not perma-banning the accounts.

The orange part... Think about what you just wrote.  You are suprised that Aventurine is taking action to correct the flaws that sunk their first game.  Huh?

I am surprised AV did anything, period. Instead of just sticking their head in the sand. Again.
  • zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

Would be like if people playing Wizardry or Salem started crying about permanent deaths..

It's part of the game..

The company giving in was the disgusting part.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by zellmer

Would be like if people playing Wizardry or Salem started crying about permanent deaths..

It's part of the game..

Lol

Yes...I'm sure that was the goal of AV was to have people griefed in such fashion and have Youtube videos advertising this to others. How could they miss out on such a grand PR viral marketing scheme!

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• McPickleMcPickle Member Posts: 39
    Originally posted by BadSpock

This is why pvp sandbox is and will always be niche -

Dick hats and the completely sociopathic borderline psychotic treatment of their fellow players.

MMO success = community.

Grief/gank/harrass your community - community leaves.

Everyone just wants to play the game their way.

But if playing your way is at the expense of other's freedom to play their way, you're a douche cannon.

It's online bullying. No other way to define it.

And in the virtual world, to get away from it, all you have to do is log off.

This right here is as much of the problem as the greifers themselves. I have a very stong dislike for this way of thinking. It's cowardly and passive/aggressive. It's like the guy in LoL that "won't gank your lane" becuase doesn't like you becuase you told him a razor is a crappy item on rammus, even though that hurts himself and the other 3 people on the team as much as it does you. The game itself is fun, but I'm going to quit becuase of some douche that is trying to ruin my fun. Well guess who just won? Not the person logging out, I can tell you that. Ok so you go play a differnt game and BAM same crap. Why? Because you did nothing to make them stop, so why would they? Like anything else, instead of addressing the issue, it's easier to run away. I hate that. 

This, This right here is why you guys can't have nice things. You guys COULD have your full loot/permadeath/hardcore mmo with all the features you guys cry about, but you don't because developers have to try and "make everyone happy" becuase most players have no balls.  In this case, I'm glad something was done, but it should have been a prema ban. I mean those guys aren't suddenly going to change their ways in this type of situation.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by zellmer

I'm amazed that anyone would actually hold that opinion, except for the griefers of course. 

Wouldn't it be interesting if cyber-bullying ended up being a federal offense punishable by jail time (which should and will happen) and in-game griefers potentially could be charged under the same premise.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• mistersalty1mistersalty1 Member Posts: 26
    solution: leave and go farm something else. log out for a minute or two.  you signed up for a hardcore full loot pvp game and ur gonna cry about crap like this?  this isnt a game for your carebear crap. the writer and all u babies posting for permabans go play something else.
  • ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by Quailman
    Why give these losers the attention they crave? We should just ignore them so they can go back to being as insignificant as they deserve to be.

This /

Giving them attention is the worst thing you can do for bottom feeders like them. I really wish the article hadn't been highlighted here...

• Kamandi777Kamandi777 Member UncommonPosts: 223
    This is a sandbox game.  Everything goes except hax. [mod edit]
  • WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

XD

Appears some of HOGGS guildies showed up. Let 'em really have it and call them gimps fifty times! Lolz....

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• Kamandi777Kamandi777 Member UncommonPosts: 223
    These videos are gold.
  • MyownGodMyownGod Member UncommonPosts: 205
    People like them is what's wrong with the world, making someone elses life harder for their amusement. Pick up our torches and pitchfork, march our asses to Aventurine and demand to IP perm ban them, like what we would do centuries ago. BURN THEM WITCHES!!!
  • RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456
    This isn't PVP and there is something seriously wrong with these guys who think disrupting other players ability to play the game is okay or funny.  They need a perma-ban and they need it now.  People like this who purposely exploit game mechanics in any way they can to harass other players with no reason other than to be jerks will chase away paying customers.  Their behavior is disgusting and shouldn't be tolerated.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC