Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cathars coming in Patch 2.1!

Cathar, a playable species announced last year, will be introduced in SWTOR Game Update 2.1 as as a cartel coin purchase.

• Unlockable via the cartel market for cartel coins (600 cartel coins) . You can convert either an existing character or reroll a new character.
  • Unlock is account wide rather than just legacy wide (i.e. applied to all servers, all your legacies)
  • Available to all eight classes (both factions)
  • Both male and female
  • Cool new fur patterns, new hair styles
  • Great social emote for your Cathar pride
  • Trooper companion Aric Jordan will be have his appearance adjusted to bring him inline with the new Cathar models. He will be utilizing the new fur technology and better reflect how Cathars will look. 
Here are some images and a video of how the cathars will look: http://dulfy.net/2013/04/26/swtor-cathar-species-coming-in-game-update-2-1/

Comments

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

Thanks for the update Dulfy.

I'm not a star wars lore junkie, but does this make sense to anyone?  Cathar on the Empire side?  It would've been nice to have 2 separate races, one for each faction.

• Originally posted by observer

Thanks for the update Dulfy.

I'm not a star wars lore junkie, but does this make sense to anyone?  Cathar on the Empire side?  It would've been nice to have 2 separate races, one for each faction.

here is there reasoning:

AllisonBerryman

#44 August 13, 2012
    Hall Hood (Lead Writer) had a bit to say about Cathar and the Empire. Here's what he shared with me:

As sometimes happens in oppressed and victimized societies, sub-cultures arise that rebel against prevailing sentiment and embrace what their fellow citizens hate. Over the past few decades, small sects of Cathar have become Imperial sympathizers, even going so far as to serve among the Sith and Mandalorians. The Cathar in Imperial space are regarded as traitorous extremists by Republic-aligned Cathar, but that hasn?t stopped thousands of these radicals from seeking their fortunes with the Cathar people?s former enemies.

Hopefully this helps make sense of the addition of Cathar to playable species!

http://www.darthhater.com/devtracker/topic/76144-wait-dont-almost-all-cathar-hate-the-mandalorians-empire

• Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642

So is there a date for when 2.1 will be out?

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by Blazer6992

So is there a date for when 2.1 will be out?

Dulfy mentionned something that we might get information about it next week.

I am more excited about armor dyes and the appearance designer kiosk coming in 2.1 as well :) Finally.

http://dulfy.net/2013/04/26/swtor-armor-dyes-and-appearance-designer-kiosk-details/

And finally CE owners are getting some love :)

"Some unique colors (dyes) come from the security key and Collector’s Edition vendors"

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• Greyhawk4x4Greyhawk4x4 Member UncommonPosts: 480
    So, if I am understanding this correctly, even subscribers will have to pay for Cathar?
  • BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by Greyhawk4x4
    So, if I am understanding this correctly, even subscribers will have to pay for Cathar?

Yes , 600 CC for an account wide unlock. Which is only 100 CC more than the normal stipend , so no biggie really. Armor re-colouring too , a lot of people have been wanting that for a very long time.

I'm just happy that i could buy blue/black crystals off the GTN :) , maybe the rakghoul plague will return this summer.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• Zeppelin5083Zeppelin5083 Member Posts: 410

Load of BS in my opinion. How long have subbers waited for this content and now they have to pay for it in addition to the sub? At least make it available in legacy like the other races.

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

sto gave the klingon faction evil looking cat people when it added cat people.

why do games keep adding cat people?  are furries this well organized and annoying to game devs that they all must add cat people?!

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610

Subscribers get 500 free CC a month. Shouldn't be an issue.

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Originally posted by neorandom

why do games keep adding cat people?  are furries this well organized and annoying to game devs that they all must add cat people?!

There were quite a few cathars in swtor on launch and entire questlines about em, I thought it was odd they weren't in the game as a playable race from the beginning.

But I don't really see the draw, they look far to human :/

• IkifalesIkifales Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Originally posted by dlld
    Originally posted by neorandom

There were quite a few cathars in swtor on launch and entire questlines about em, I thought it was odd they weren't in the game as a playable race from the beginning.

But I don't really see the draw, they look far to human :/

Also they are not new to the Star Wars IP. They are in KoToR.

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

More info on 2.1 revealed , subs can change their guild name , character name and/or legacy name once for free , plus other round ups.

http://www.swtor.com/gameupdates

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

Originally posted by BadOrb

More info on 2.1 revealed , subs can change their guild name , character name and/or legacy name once for free , plus other round ups.

http://www.swtor.com/gameupdates

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Awesome:) I have some names that I would love to change a bit... great news

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479

Sweet ,cat people.

They fix Ilum yet for those 100 vs 100 battles they promised and advertised pre launch?

I'm guessing no.

• reb007reb007 Member UncommonPosts: 613

Oh great!  They add more new and perfectly insignificant shit!  Sweeeeet!

Just what I always wanted in my Star Wars adventure: to play as a cat person with clothes that I dyed myself

Originally posted by gigat

Just what I always wanted in my Star Wars adventure: to play as a cat person with clothes that I dyed myself

Players were asking for ability to change name, legacy and guild for a long time. Same about customization. So it's not insignificant. The same can be said about dyes.

As for Cathar, I personally do not care about them. The only races I play are Human, Chiss and Pureblood... anyway :).

I bet that if these things would not be coming we would have a thread about why there are no these features in SWTOR. Slowly but surely stuff are coming.  I want to see more quest series like Macrobinocular and Seeker Droid though. These are fun.

• DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479

I've been asking for those 100 vs 100 epic galactic battles they promised and pushed pre-launch -

I'd say that's more importan than any of this shit.

Of course , it's also something that would require competent developers.

• reb007reb007 Member UncommonPosts: 613
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61
    Originally posted by gigat

Players were asking for ability to change name, legacy and guild for a long time. Same about customization. So it's not insignificant. The same can be said about dyes.

As for Cathar, I personally do not care about them. The only races I play are Human, Chiss and Pureblood... anyway :).

I bet that if these things would not be coming we would have a thread about why there are no these features in SWTOR. Slowly but surely stuff are coming.  I want to see more quest series like Macrobinocular and Seeker Droid though. These are fun.

Name changes are good (I wished for that several times when I was playing, even though you could get a free name change by "accidentally" deleting your character and asking support to restore it).  Dyes, sure, some of the colors on the armor needed some love.

But to be honest, I'd rather see more improvements to the game itself, such as fixing technical issues and bugs, among a laundry list of other more significant improvements that players have been asking for.  Maybe the players that are left truly wanted a Cathar race.  Who am I to argue?  All I can say is, Cathar and dyes aren't nearly enough to bring me back.

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677
    Originally posted by immodium

Subscribers get 500 free CC a month. Shouldn't be an issue.

If the price is 600 CC, I will have more than that from just subbing. I am okay with the price at that amount. 

• looks like they are planning on 2.1 coming on may 14th and 2.2 on june 11th(of course it is subject to change)

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=6259667#edit6259667

Hey everyone,

I wanted to specifically address the concern of “what is a subscriber getting in an all Cartel Market update?” Game Update 2.1 brings a whole lot of customization and convenience features to the game which have been requested for quite some time, such as character name changes etc. As we have stated in the past, we always design systems like this knowing that subscribers will be receiving Cartel Coins each month, and certainly more options for your monthly Cartel Coin grant can’t be a bad thing!

I think the core of some of your frustrations is that you feel like Game Update 2.1 is “eating up a slot” for our regular content cadence, and because of that, you won’t actually be receiving any new content in this “cycle.” I figure the best way to address that is to lay out a bit of a road map of what the next few weeks looks like! This will help especially if you are only looking at what you are getting within one “content cycle.” As I have done in the past, I need to make it clear that everything I am about to say is our current plan and that it is subject to change, but I want to give you as many details as I can! Here is our current plan:

• Game Update 2.1 will release on Tuesday, May 14th
    • Game Update 2.2 will release on Tuesday, June 11th

If you are keeping track and we hit those dates, Game Update 2.2 will releasing 8 weeks and 2 days from the time we released Rise of the Hutt Cartel (so basically around our 8 week cadence that is often referenced). What that means is that even though I can’t yet tell you what is in Game Update 2.2, you are getting two Game Updates within that period. I will say this: Game Update 2.2 has no new Cartel Market features… Also, both of these Game Updates will come with the usual bug fixes, quality of life improvements, etc. which you have come to expect (reference the patch notes for more info).

I know many of you will reserve full judgment until you see what happens over the next few weeks. I hope getting a little bit more information on our timeline will help alleviate your concerns. I have stated before that our Cartel Market and content teams are two very different things internally, which is why we can have these two Game Updates release so close together. Hopefully that provides some insight into our plans!

TLDR – If you’re concerned that Game Update 2.1 is taking up space in our content cadence and only contains Cartel Market stuff, fear not, Game Update 2.2 is coming sooner than you would expect!

-eric

PS – The Gree Enclave wanted me to pass on that they will be returning soon…

• ShamorauShamorau Member UncommonPosts: 181

so let me get this straight. Something that was meant to come with the ROTHC expansion which we paid for, didn't arrive. It seems that they have delayed it long enough so that everyone including subscribers have to pay for it? whats the price another  $10? i think this may be  a new extreme for nickle and diming customers. People thought they were getting the cathar as part of the expansion. but no EA delays it to make more money.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by OG_Zorvan
    Originally posted by Zeppelin5083

Load of BS in my opinion. How long have subbers waited for this content and now they have to pay for it in addition to the sub? At least make it available in legacy like the other races.

Just buy it off the GTN for credits. There's absolutely no reason to buy anything off their cartel shop.

That's beside the point, lol.  They said one of the benefits of subscribing is that you won't have any character creation restrictions, like locked races.  One of the mods said that they are sorry, and will change the wording on subscriber benefits page to reflect that Cathar have to be purchased.

That only made people more upset.

You make me like charity

• Originally posted by Shamorau

so let me get this straight. Something that was meant to come with the ROTHC expansion which we paid for, didn't arrive. It seems that they have delayed it long enough so that everyone including subscribers have to pay for it? whats the price another  $10? i think this may be  a new extreme for nickle and diming customers. People thought they were getting the cathar as part of the expansion. but no EA delays it to make more money.

i have to say, i cant recall them ever saying that cathar would come in rothc. maybe im wrong but i cant remember them ever saying that. i know i was hoping it would and kind of expected it but dont remember them ever saying it would. and its been known cathar would be a cash shop thing since september

edit: i will say it took them way to long in my opinion to get cathar out.  it will have been also a year since it was announced at e3 last year

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Whoopee. Wake me when trandoshians are put in. Don't really care about cat people.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• Tabloid42Tabloid42 Member UncommonPosts: 200

What is this ''New Fur Technology" they speak of?   I watched the vid and saw nothing in the way of moving fur or whatnot.

I do think it's cool that you can change your existing Character, BUT  that just shows me that it means nothing to story or npc interactions.  They should not call it a Race,...rather new Skin,....Racial Skins or in this game's case,.."new Heads!" .  

:p