Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IT should start 6 weeks after the game funds

UOloverUOlover Member UncommonPosts: 339
Spoken by mark himself. Bring on the testing!

Comments

• UOloverUOlover Member UncommonPosts: 339
    Well that's obvious, but certainly a big change from winter/jan to 6 weeks after may 2nd.
  • meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    That's kind of amazing. I wonder how long it will be before it would start to resemble an actual MMO with character creation, classes, quickbars, xp, and all the rest? Will the other testing stages move up many months too and the actual release date?

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Meaning they will start working on the game I assume. Hope your not implying that they will be beta, or even early alpha stage start 6 weeks after funding.
  • UOloverUOlover Member UncommonPosts: 339
    No they are not going to be in alpha or beta, but IT, yes.
  • GaladhonGaladhon Member Posts: 6
    IT testing.  You log people into the game client until it crashes, If you perform certain actions in a certain way you crash everyone.  This isnt alpha/beta testing.  120 logged into the game client today to play capture the flag with the viking and TDD models and no server crashes.  To see CSE move from an idea to this stage in 3 weeks is very impressive.  
  • NegativeXNegativeX Member Posts: 100
    Originally posted by Galadhon
    IT testing.  You log people into the game client until it crashes, If you perform certain actions in a certain way you crash everyone.  This isnt alpha/beta testing.  120 logged into the game client today to play capture the flag with the viking and TDD models and no server crashes.  To see CSE move from an idea to this stage in 3 weeks is very impressive.  

If that @ first.

When I worked for Boundless Entertainment, it was months before we even had a game client or engine to even test.

IT is going to be a shock for most, I suspect.

Camelot Unchained Fanpage

https://simply-gaming.com/camelot/

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Sorry - they should be doing IT work already to influence the people who are on the edge. It seems to me that he doesn't care at all.

• ArcherBullseyeArcherBullseye Member Posts: 77
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Sorry - they should be doing IT work already to influence the people who are on the edge. It seems to me that he doesn't care at all.

Are they not already doing that?  BTW I keep wanting to say you should change your avatar.  Calvin does not match your personality at all.  He had vision, hope, and trust.  :-P

• NegativeXNegativeX Member Posts: 100
    It seems to me that he doesn't care at all.

Clearly you haven't been following the game at all.

Camelot Unchained Fanpage

https://simply-gaming.com/camelot/

• MarkJacobsMarkJacobs CEO City State EntertainmentMember RarePosts: 649
    Originally posted by meddyck
    That's kind of amazing. I wonder how long it will be before it would start to resemble an actual MMO with character creation, classes, quickbars, xp, and all the rest? Will the other testing stages move up many months too and the actual release date?

Thanks! Really appreciate it.

As to getting the game up much earlier, doubtful. I'm sure this will be miscontstrued (not by you, no disrespect intended and you know that) but the important part is testing and iteration on the engine and network architecture early, often and without mercy and not focus quite as much as trying to get the MMO up earlier. This is the way I want to run the development of this MMO. We build the things we need to build first, beat on it with a Smackhammer like game (just call it CtC) or what we showed today and we continue to optimize both the renderer, core server and network usage from the beginning. If we I'm fortunate enough to make CU, I will not repeat the mistakes of the past. We build the damn foundation before the build the house and this time, I'm in a position to say this will happen. 

Now, in a perfect world we will have some of that stuff you mention up earlier but I expect that we'll iterate with two core pieces of tech (home builder and game) first by giving them to our backers. I want to do the same thing with the crafter part of the game too. When add new races, they will go into CtC to see how they work in the real world and then move on to the next thing. The key is that we will have incredibly solid tech for launch, not because I say so, but because we will have been using/stress testing it with our backers for years in actual games that the backers will get to play early on and for the life of the development I expect.

Again, thanks for the praise, appreciate it.

Mark Jacobs
    CEO, City State Entertainment

• GaladhonGaladhon Member Posts: 6

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/383539/Open-Tech-Demo-2.html

your welcome!

• RaagnarzRaagnarz Member RarePosts: 576

The very fact that they could have IT testing up within 2 months of funding it is both impressive and a small miracle. It means there is no "filler" on his team. They are incredibly talented and even more importantly motivated. You don't go from zero to where they are at now in 3 weeks without it being more than just a job. They've accomplished more in 3 short weeks than I have seen teams 10x their size accomplish in many months.  That is very encouraging to me to see and makes me wonder where the game, should it fun, will be in 3 months or 6.

If the IT pahse starts so much earlier than expected, I wouldn't be surprised if all the testing teirs follow suit. That being said I would never expect it to be anything close to something called a game before the end of the year. Just my opinion anyway.

Keep it up CSE. I can't speak for everyone, only myself, but I am quite impressed at what you guys have been able to accmplish in such a short period. It bodes extraordinarily well for things to come.

Originally posted by ArcherBullseye

Are they not already doing that?  BTW I keep wanting to say you should change your avatar.  Calvin does not match your personality at all.  He had vision, hope, and trust.  :-P

Excuse me - maybe it hit to close to home. I have worked for biotech start ups who CEO's have said the same thing only to fold very quickly. So call me jaded but I have been burned before.

One needs to bring in all knowledge to make decisions. If you don', it is just blind ignorance. Not saying people who have pledged don't believe him but eveyone has to base their decisions on what they know and feel.

I do hope the game is funded but the way he couched the game, I don't think there is many backers.

Originally posted by Tierless

Andrew is a god. I hear he is trained in several martial arts as well. How else can one explain his confidence while wearing foolish hats? Any other man in that hat would be embarrassed, but Andrew knows he has nothing to fear from any other man, hence he wears them fearlessly.

That is the problem - backers think he is a god and others think he is a poser.

Who bloody cares if he is trained in the martial arts -that has nothing to do if he can follow through and produce a game. Get f'ing real here.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Off topic:  No he didn't, he was the most cynical comic strip character ever.  Vision maybe, to get what HE wanted.  Hope and trust, no way.  Besides, botrytis' avatar is mostly of Hobbes.  But he wasn't even real lol

On topic: I'm wondering if people think this is really going to still fund, because enthusiasm doesn't reflect the time and funds left on KS.  Enthusiasm is good either way.  Good luck with your goal.

• belatucadrosbelatucadros Member UncommonPosts: 264
    Originally posted by Tierless

Andrew is a god. I hear he is trained in several martial arts as well. How else can one explain his confidence while wearing foolish hats? Any other man in that hat would be embarrassed, but Andrew knows he has nothing to fear from any other man, hence he wears them fearlessly.

That is the problem - backers think he is a god and others think he is a poser.

Who bloody cares if he is trained in the martial arts -that has nothing to do if he can follow through and produce a game. Get f'ing real here.

your sense of humour seems to be malfunctioning

also, whenever someone says "They should be x" and x is already happening, you really lose credibility

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by Eir_S

Off topic:  No he didn't, he was the most cynical comic strip character ever.  Vision maybe, to get what HE wanted.  Hope and trust, no way.  Besides, botrytis' avatar is mostly of Hobbes.  But he wasn't even real lol

On topic: I'm wondering if people think this is really going to still fund, because enthusiasm doesn't reflect the time and funds left on KS.  Enthusiasm is good either way.  Good luck with your goal.

I'm having a hard time thinking it will fund, and it's too bad cause the fans that want it are pretty dedicated.  If I was more of a troll, I'd post that I was removing my sponsorship because I found out that MJ wasn't really Micheal Jackson, but with the fans this project has, it might end up volatile!  lol

Best of luck CU fans

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.