Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you could go back would you?

2»

Comments

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Maybe... An interesting hypothesis :)

If I could go back, MMO-wise, I would probably try out other games that I never tried back then.

Older Single Player Games, though, I still play today. Any time I feel the desire, as I often do.

Games have improved in many ways over what we had way back when. In other ways, they are surely lacking. Some of the headaches older games handed out, newer games have rectified, while creating new headaches as well as losing some of the "good parts" of the older games.

Overall, I don't think I would, though it could be tempting :) Thanks to DOSBox and the like, many old games can still be played today.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• AnslemAnslem Member CommonPosts: 215
    Originally posted by Dibdabs
    I actually did go back, in a way, when I reactivated my EQ1 account.  I'd played it for years, loved it and looked forward to playing it for free... and it was AWFUL.  You can never go back.

Same here with Ultima Online.  Reactivated my account it was terrible.  I felt like how Marty McFly felt when he went back to an alternative 1985.  

Played: Ultima Online - DaoC - WoW -

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

No need. All the old games are stil there and you can get them one way or another and play them. There's more games out there from the past than any person can play in thier lifetime.

Purely from a gaming standpoint, you don't need to go back.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • JRRNeiklotJRRNeiklot Member UncommonPosts: 129
    In a heartbeat.  Other than a brief foray into SWTOR and TSW, I haven't played a modern game in years.  I keep replaying classic rpgs like Baldur's Gate and the M&M series, modern games look great but play like shit.  MMOs are the worst of the lot.
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I would go back if I could tell developers not to make MMOs with super graphics that won't run well on thier minimum or even reccomended specs.  I'm sorry but playing a game with a computer that has better than the suggested computer spec, but only getting 10 fps in some areas...yeah that's really playable, I'd hate to see what they play like on minimum specs lol.  In my 22+ years of playing MMOs, I think I've noticed that the vast majority of MMO players take graphics as a secondary thing, gameplay is always number one.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I would happily go back to 2003, eve and planetside were the new mmos on the block. Daoc wasn't totally ruined and EQ was still semi non elitist.
  • VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Yes. I'd go back to play more SWG pre-CU and accomplish everything that I always thought I'd have time later to do in-game.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Originally posted by Dibdabs
    I actually did go back, in a way, when I reactivated my EQ1 account.  I'd played it for years, loved it and looked forward to playing it for free... and it was AWFUL.  You can never go back.

That's the thing, it was awful before when you played it, you just didn't know any better.  Now that you do, you can't go play it again.  That's something people who want to go back to old school games overlook.  They're running on pure nostalgia and wishful thinking.  Those games sucked then but they had no other frame of reference.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

No

I love those games for their time, but I enjoy where mmos have gone (generally speaking). Besides, I'm not a graphics fiend so if I really wanted to I would have no problem playing EQ again if I felt the nostalgia for it.

The only genre I have missed for a while thankfully seems to be on the return thanks to the likes of Shadowrun Returns, Divinity, Torment, Wasteland 2, etc. That was an era of gaming I have sorely missed and seemed dormant for some time. However, seems there will be quite a few of those games out soon to whet my appetitie.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Originally posted by Deivos
    Originally posted by Axehilt

Content and happy with all games?  Just like you were content and happy with all games of the past, right?

For some reason the word 'hyperbole' is coming to mind when reading you recently.

Don't look at me: OP's the guy asking the hyperbole-tastic questions.

I'm just being fair: taking his hyperbole and spreading it to old games too.

It's all or nothing with hyperbole!  (Pun, and valid point, intended.)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver