Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My love & hate for a popular game in decline

RudyRaccoonRudyRaccoon Member UncommonPosts: 475

I'm still amazed that WoW still has a massive cult following even if the game is now in the road of decline, at it's peak WoW had roughly 12-13 million subscribers, now it's just 9 million. Even with the loss it's still the most popular MMORPG in the world and next year the game marks it's 10th anniversary, still it makes me wonder how much longer WoW will last until Blizzard pulls the plug on this now decade old game?

For me I seem to have a love and hate thing for WoW, I've not played WoW (excluding private servers that is) since the beginning of Cataclysm. I first played WoW back in April 2006 when WoW was in it's Vanilla form, an old friend got me into the game and he was showing me the ropes of how to play and it felt great, I loved the scence of adventure and becoming a powerful hero. Get me wrong, it's a great game on it's own but that's the problem, it's now only good on it's own. The biggest majority who play WoW today give no polite social interaction whatsoever, for what I know you don't really need a guild anymore to do the highest level raids, nowhere days it's all cross server public grouping or PuGs as it's known in WoW. The chances of getting people on your friends list are next to non, I actually had Internet Trolls bullying me in-game just because I used to complain on the official forums a lot, this is because I have nowhere else to share my complaints about the game. I thought WoW was about teamwork and helping others out when they need it, yet instead I end up being a lone wolf who would never get good high end gear, you would think you can do the game on your own maybe by pvp but you'll soon to swarmed to death by fully epic gear people so what's the bloody point if everyone else is trolling 24/7?

I suppose this is why I don't play WoW anymore, because nobody wants to be your friend. We all know a game is much better when played with friends, a game without any is boring. :/

What I'm trying to say is, I don't hate the game, I hate most of the players and that is why I think I'll never come back.

Comments

• ghostfaeriesghostfaeries Member UncommonPosts: 89
    some people prefer to game alone and others with friends. If you don't have any that game, well that sucks! I personally think it's more fun with people to play with. join wow groups and make friends like on wow's anook or facebook. :)
  • sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    I keep renewing my sub every once in a while and then turning right around and unsubbing within a month or two. Yeah, the community is pretty shitty. I feel this is because there is no drawback to being a complete jackass to 95% of the people you meet. At least in the old days a server's trolls suffered for their art because the people they were attempting to piss off (love you Sandisk) were the same people they had to play the game with, if they ever got tired of world of tradechat. 
  • korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

nothing will ever be good as vanilla was, and maybe the black crusade (before the black temple got dumbed down and when this oblivion started).

I remember when server recognized a player who got warlord title and gear. When players remembered the names of really good PvE/PvP guilds and players and how people got far too many whispers when standing in orgrimmar with their T2 / T3 armor :D

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

I don't like WoW.

It will probably be around for another 10 years.

I've stopped caring about whether or not people play it. Imho, there are plenty of games that are better than WoW out there. However, people have invested their lives to the game and won't leave. They'll have excuses, but in the end, I believe that it comes down to a phenomenon commonly seen in gambling: You've already invested X dollars into a game; therefore, you must continue to invest Y dollars in order to justify the investment of X.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486

I only come back for the back level increasing expansions and each time I come back, I play for less and less.

I have a ton of characters at 70, a few at 80, fewer still at 85, and then, finally, only a single one at 90. 

Honestly, I liked Mists of Pandaria.  I just was tired of the game.  I was getting ready to do the PvP grind, and I was facing almost full PvP gear warriors with that health regeneration talent and I just didn't have the heart to sludge through the grind on such a tired game, especially not with newer titles coming down the pipe.

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654
    Originally posted by Vorch

I don't like WoW.

I've stopped caring about whether or not people play it. Imho, there are plenty of games that are better than WoW out there. However, people have invested their lives to the game and won't leave. They'll have excuses, but in the end, I believe that it comes down to a phenomenon commonly seen in gambling: You've already invested X dollars into a game; therefore, you must continue to invest Y dollars in order to justify the investment of X.

This.

The truth is, WoW is pretty bad now.

There are other MMOs that are better:

- GW2 is a better game for PVP, world PVP, questing etc

- Rift is better for raiding

The reason people still play WoW is basically they have become losers as a result of it, and still think there's a rainbow at the end of the tunnel. It's very much like gambers who become too invested to quit.

This is of course because normal people don't understand the concept of sunk costs vs investments, but that's really a debate for another time.

I used to play WoW. At the start I played it because it was a great game full of fun discoveries with friends.

For the last few years I played it, it was because I got stuck in the loot treadmill and easy ego-gratification that is required for people who are basically losers in RL.

Even the best WoW players in the world are basically RL losers who get ego gratification from pixels. It's not like WoW is an esport or anything, the fact is, no one gives a crap about WoW players apart from other WoW players, who these days are not very many in the west.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Greyhooff

I don't like WoW.

This.

The truth is, WoW is pretty bad now.

There are other MMOs that are better:

- GW2 is a better game for PVP, world PVP, questing etc

- Rift is better for raiding

The reason people still play WoW is basically they have become losers as a result of it, and still think there's a rainbow at the end of the tunnel. It's very much like gambers who become too invested to quit.

This is of course because normal people don't understand the concept of sunk costs vs investments, but that's really a debate for another time.

I used to play WoW. At the start I played it because it was a great game full of fun discoveries with friends.

For the last few years I played it, it was because I got stuck in the loot treadmill and easy ego-gratification that is required for people who are basically losers in RL.

Even the best WoW players in the world are basically RL losers who get ego gratification from pixels. It's not like WoW is an esport or anything, the fact is, no one gives a crap about WoW players apart from other WoW players, who these days are not very many in the west.

So calling WoW players losers is a completely different kind of behaviour to which the OP is referring right? I can imagine how much more fun it will be to play with peeps like you "D

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654

I guess it's the same as calling compulsive gamblers "losers" - it's something that negatively impacts people's lives, for the sake of fake compulsive validation.

Believe me, after playing WoW for years, and playing other MMOs, I can see the mechanisms by which WoW does this to people, and the results are not pretty. Most WoW players are in fact losers and won't realise it until they break the habit and see themselves as they really are.

• khragkhrag Member Posts: 184

I understand the OP problems. I have't played another MMO where the other players are so rude and ignorant (not all, but enough to make the game less enjoyable)

I was a subscriber in vanila. I played for the fun of it, I loved it, I spent 14 hour nights trying to get just one more level, then I got to level cap and it became a job. I played for about a month at cap and quit subscription. Same thing with TBC, TWotLK, and CAT. MoP, though, I can't even enjoy it enough to play out the first month. I don't understand how anybody could think taking away all my options to make my toon unique and giving me 1 choice every 15 levels was a good iea for an RPG.

I love the graphics of WoW, it is so different then all the rest, they aren't the highest end graphics but everything looks good and almost cartoony without going anime (like EQII did) I loved the leveling, the crafting was good (SWG had the best crafting when it first started), the PvP was fun (more so in vanilla), they didn't seem to do much wrong (the grind at cap, allowing elves to play a Dwarves game and let's not forget FISHING)

Somewhere along the way they lost what they had. It seems they moved the game towards all it's bad points and away from the good (XP boost to get you to cap, adding a second elf race!!! and no more dwarves???) Where as I thing the game wide LFG was a great idea (sometimes you'd not be able to find anyone to do those pesky group quests with), particularly if you play at odd hours for your server. I do, however, think that doing the same with raids ruined what was left of the community feel to the game.

I've gone through my love affair and my hatred for WoW, but I think now I'm just in that remembering the great times we had part of our relationship. There is no more love, nor animosity, just a sad felling of what was and will never be again.

I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies; for the hardest victory is over self.
    --Aristotle

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    I'm not surprised. Play something else, there is better and it's always good to try something new.
  • MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782

I don't like WoW.

fml.......

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    If you do not like WoW get out of the forum.  If you want to call people losers in their own forum go out buy a mirror and look at the loser you see looking back at you for just doing what you did.  Frankly you are both just trolls to post this in the WoW forum.
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by RudyRaccoon

I'm still amazed that WoW still has a massive cult following even if the game is now in the road of decline, at it's peak WoW had roughly 12-13 million subscribers, now it's just 9 million. Even with the loss it's still the most popular MMORPG in the world and next year the game marks it's 10th anniversary, still it makes me wonder how much longer WoW will last until Blizzard pulls the plug on this now decade old game?

For me I seem to have a love and hate thing for WoW, I've not played WoW (excluding private servers that is) since the beginning of Cataclysm. I first played WoW back in April 2006 when WoW was in it's Vanilla form, an old friend got me into the game and he was showing me the ropes of how to play and it felt great, I loved the scence of adventure and becoming a powerful hero. Get me wrong, it's a great game on it's own but that's the problem, it's now only good on it's own. The biggest majority who play WoW today give no polite social interaction whatsoever, for what I know you don't really need a guild anymore to do the highest level raids, nowhere days it's all cross server public grouping or PuGs as it's known in WoW. The chances of getting people on your friends list are next to non, I actually had Internet Trolls bullying me in-game just because I used to complain on the official forums a lot, this is because I have nowhere else to share my complaints about the game. I thought WoW was about teamwork and helping others out when they need it, yet instead I end up being a lone wolf who would never get good high end gear, you would think you can do the game on your own maybe by pvp but you'll soon to swarmed to death by fully epic gear people so what's the bloody point if everyone else is trolling 24/7?

I suppose this is why I don't play WoW anymore, because nobody wants to be your friend. We all know a game is much better when played with friends, a game without any is boring. :/

What I'm trying to say is, I don't hate the game, I hate most of the players and that is why I think I'll never come.

im guessing you're not in 1st grade.  at a certain point in our adult lives making friends is harder than when we were in elementary school.  the social side of WoW is fine.  yes,  there are asshats.  yes,  there are rude people.  yes,  there are people that don't give a shit about your gameplay experience.  but,  if you put some effort in to meeting people and making friends,  im sure you would.  i guarantee it.

• LethalBurstLethalBurst Member UncommonPosts: 367
    I have played just about every Western MMO since the release of DAoC, and WoW is the only one I keep going back to. Nothing else comes close.
  • fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499
    The sad part is people aren't even leaving WoW for other MMO's. They're just leaving MMO's in general because the options are so terrible.
  • Riss1234Riss1234 Member Posts: 11
    Everyone has it's own preference about the game and not all games satisfy us.  I respect your opinion and thanks for sharing it, I haven't tried wow I just see it's gameplay and i admit it's nice
  • QuorinaQuorina Member Posts: 41

Don't agree with the guy who called WoW players "losers"; they are no more losers than someone who plays any other game, for whatever the reason. Those type of generalizations are not necessary, and they are highly offensive.

As for the game, I wish it would die a slow, painful death. Not because I hate people who play that game, because of Greg Street, otherwise known as Ghostcrawler. He has slowly destroyed the game since he took over as lead developer and it shows through the constant dumbing down and homogenization of classes.

When people complained about the game being too easy, he made 5-mans "difficult" in the beginning of Cataclysm. First of all, it wasn't really more difficult, but far more gear dependent. You could have 359 gear and blow through those dungeons in half an hour or have those "heroic" blues and greens and take 1 hour+ to clear the instance. It gave a very drastic edge to raiders in the beginning of that xpac, and had absolutely nothing to do with difficulty or skill/talent. It was awful.

Now people complaind that LFR (Looking For Raid) was easy, now they've made it more difficult, up to a normal raid's level. Before, LFR was easy, normal raiding was so-so, and heroic raiding was difficult. Now, LFR is so-so, normal raiding is so-so, and heroic raiding is difficult. I do not think they needed to make LFR more difficult, but they definitely shouldn't have been handing out epics like candy, either. They should've kept it easy but toned down the ilevel on the gear as a response. LFR is entry-level raiding, why they are trying to make it like a normal raid I do not understand.

Just two of the decisions that I've hated from this lead developer. Dozens more that would take pages to explain. WoW is not an awful game, but it is definitely a medicore, generic run-of-the-mill themepark, a far cry from its Vanilla and TBC days.

• RudyRaccoonRudyRaccoon Member UncommonPosts: 475
    Originally posted by Quorina

Don't agree with the guy who called WoW players "losers"; they are no more losers than someone who plays any other game, for whatever the reason. Those type of generalizations are not necessary, and they are highly offensive.

As for the game, I wish it would die a slow, painful death. Not because I hate people who play that game, because of Greg Street, otherwise known as Ghostcrawler. He has slowly destroyed the game since he took over as lead developer and it shows through the constant dumbing down and homogenization of classes.

When people complained about the game being too easy, he made 5-mans "difficult" in the beginning of Cataclysm. First of all, it wasn't really more difficult, but far more gear dependent. You could have 359 gear and blow through those dungeons in half an hour or have those "heroic" blues and greens and take 1 hour+ to clear the instance. It gave a very drastic edge to raiders in the beginning of that xpac, and had absolutely nothing to do with difficulty or skill/talent. It was awful.

Now people complaind that LFR (Looking For Raid) was easy, now they've made it more difficult, up to a normal raid's level. Before, LFR was easy, normal raiding was so-so, and heroic raiding was difficult. Now, LFR is so-so, normal raiding is so-so, and heroic raiding is difficult. I do not think they needed to make LFR more difficult, but they definitely shouldn't have been handing out epics like candy, either. They should've kept it easy but toned down the ilevel on the gear as a response. LFR is entry-level raiding, why they are trying to make it like a normal raid I do not understand.

Just two of the decisions that I've hated from this lead developer. Dozens more that would take pages to explain. WoW is not an awful game, but it is definitely a medicore, generic run-of-the-mill themepark, a far cry from its Vanilla and TBC days.

Yeah, seems like everyone has their personal preference of when WoW was good and when it started to fell apart. I agree that Vanilla and TBC were the best days of WoW, it was since WotLK when things began to take a turn for the worst by making 5 mans too easy while they were very hard in TBC (I still have bad memories of Hellfire Ramparts where the final dragon boss is impossible to survive without luck and it was the first main dungeon of TBC...)

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I played WoW until march this year.  I found it fun to run around with guildmates, and I got numerous friends from the game that I played with.  I still play with some of them in Rift, which I've also played since launch.  The main difference between the two is how PvP and some PvE is handled.  I've met many friends from doing Rifts, and the raiding in Rift is alot harder than WoW, but WoW isn't easy (try killing the empress on heroic...You can't beat her without half your guild dying in the last few seconds hehe).  Rift just makes you think more than WoW does.  Being able to change your souls also makes you think.
  • JRRNeiklotJRRNeiklot Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Originally posted by Quorina

This cannot be said enough.   One man should not have enough power to destroy a game so easily.  I absolutely loved Vanilla and BC, Lich King was meh, but ok, everything since has been crap.  Every expansion somehow manages to be worse, even when I think it's not humanly possible to make something worse.  Cuntcrawler is the only man on the planet that could make a shit sandwich worse.

• Daxx_AttackDaxx_Attack Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by Horusra
    If you do not like WoW get out of the forum.  If you want to call people losers in their own forum go out buy a mirror and look at the loser you see looking back at you for just doing what you did.  Frankly you are both just trolls to post this in the WoW forum.

I was looking at this post a few days ago before this account was made and was going to say something similar. I couldn't have put it better myself! Thanks!

• sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 431

WOW is the only game left standing at the subscription market, along with EVE.

That's telling it all really.

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    Nice for you. Well for me is wow still the best mmo. Maybe you should try something different where you can find friends and chat all day long like EVE online for example.
  • TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    @OP - Thanks for letting us know you'll never come.
  • BarbarbarBarbarbar Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Originally posted by Greyhooff

I guess it's the same as calling compulsive gamblers "losers" - it's something that negatively impacts people's lives, for the sake of fake compulsive validation.

Believe me, after playing WoW for years, and playing other MMOs, I can see the mechanisms by which WoW does this to people, and the results are not pretty. Most WoW players are in fact losers and won't realise it until they break the habit and see themselves as they really are.

The thing here is, that you are having a reaction, which is very common for addicts. When they stop they have to face the time they felt they wasted and the anger of themselves and how stuck they were. So I too think it clearly is, about throwing Y after X to justify X. But having been around heavy addicts, I also now it's about having to look their mistakes in the eye if they go cold turkey.

Point is, you are lashing out at those still stuck, while you explain that you are in the same process they are, albeit a diffferent place. For the good of yourself, I think you should try and understand that it is yourself you hate and are angry with, instead of trying to convey that anger unto other people, which errors you see in them, and dislike in yourself.

To move on, you'll have to forgive yourself. Remember you were often a pretty nice person and interacted socially to make other people happy. There were in other words, also good in it.