Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What RPG would you make into an MMORPG?

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Shana77

As for Diablo mmo, in terms of gameplay I would say Neverwinter Online is the closest thing. Certainly not in terms of atmosphere though. In my opinion its a shame Blizzard didn't go in that direction. 

I am glad Blizz did not go in that direction. Diablo won't be diablo if it is made into a MMO. The core is hack-n-slash online MP dungeon crawl, and you don't need an MMO for that.

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Just had a thought, what about Myst lol?
  • DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

Originally posted by Deivos
    http://mystonline.com/en/

Well then, I am both shocked and amazed. How about that game where you were controlling a robot on an island that had random creatures and you had limited weapons? I am having a brain fart and can't seem to remember the name >_>

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817
    Originally posted by Elderknight

Would love to see some oldschool Paper&Dice rpgs turned into mmo's Teenage Mutand Ninja Turtles, Beyond the Super Natural, or Ninja in Super Spies, Robotech would be freaking awesome as well.

Palladium needs to get into the mmo game.

Two words.

Gamma World.

Miss you Gary G.

Lolipops !

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Not technically RPGs, but both very much in a similar space... I would like to see a proper Car Wars (for a PnP IP) or Interstate '76 (for a PC IP) MMORPG made.

• DanwarrDanwarr Member CommonPosts: 185
    Warhammer 40k. Because Orks with cockney accents.

Waiting: CU, WildStar, Destiny, Eternal Crusade
    Playing: ESO,DCUO
    Played: LotRO,RIFT,ToR,Warhammer, Runescape

I could also see Chrono Cross / Grandia / oh and the game I was thinking of is Maxis.
  • treelotreelo Member Posts: 70

Neverwinter Nights?  I'm surprised nobody has tried that yet.

Jade Cocoon.

Final Fantasy Tactics online, make it into a MMORPG simmilar to wakfu?
  • k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

They already made a final fantasy MMO. One good one hopefully being fixed at this time. Now they're making an elder scrolls game. Soooo....

I guess I would have to go with Chrono trigger but I don't know how well it would translate.

• AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757
    I'd say Dark Souls, altho I have no idea how you would do that, while still keeping the challenge, whitout making it cheap, unfair difficulty.
    Originally posted by k11keeper

They already made a final fantasy MMO. One good one hopefully being fixed at this time. Now they're making an elder scrolls game. Soooo....

I guess I would have to go with Chrono trigger but I don't know how well it would translate.

Final Fantasy online is not the same with Final Fantasy Tactics with Wakfu gameplay. It would be a completely different experience imo.

• BahamutKaiserBahamutKaiser Member UncommonPosts: 314
    I think one of the big things they need to change if they want to introduce more classic rpgs as MMOs is stop making you play a single avatar and allow you to recruit or make a party and play as a party. Additional mechanics can be introduced to combine each players small parties with other players, or make a small group of units work in unison in an open world or action combat system. It baffles me that squareenix explored these in FFXII and FFXIII, but FFXI and FFXIV never adapted it.

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, if they get angry, they'll be a mile away... and barefoot.

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688

Be careful what you wish for.  Making a good sRPG into an MMORPG could mean the defilement of a great IP.  So many MMORPGs are just about grinding half retarded mobs for silly quests and doing boring stuff to get shiny loot.  ESO is one example.   I remember back when they were making a warhammer 40k MMORPG.  I wasn't excited about it in the least despite being a tabletop 40k player for most of my life.  Why?  Well I knew it was gonna be basically "Kill 10 orks to get a shiny new bolter" and be nothing beyond a reskin of WoW with some (bad) 40k fluff.  I don't know if the devs were actually planning on a WoW clone for the 40k MMORPG, but I like to think they they were doing something awful and realized how dumb it was. 

If MMORPGs could come up with more fun mechanics besides behavioral conditioning for loot then there are tons of great IPs that could be an MMORPG.  I don't think the industry is ready at this point to be trusted with the really good IPs so I hope it doesn't happen.  If the good IPs are defiled now then it is unlikely they will get another chance.

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

I think it is possible. As stated earlier it would have to be handled very carefully. I am however cautiously optimistic that there are dev teams still out there that are not completely useless.
  • pantheronpantheron Member UncommonPosts: 256
    every RPG game I've ever wanted an MMO for has one, and they all suck. 

I play MMOs for the Forum PVP

• DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392
    ZELDA!  Nuff Said

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

•   super robot wars
  • BahamutKaiserBahamutKaiser Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Zelda is remarkable for its gameplay, but It's story isn't the most riveting, and the gameplay quality, especially the platforming, would be hard to develop on an MMO scale.

I'd love to see MMOs bring that kind of action platforming on a huge world scale, but the actual story isn't suitable...

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, if they get angry, they'll be a mile away... and barefoot.

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

To me an MMO is the best world-building there is, outside of books. You have to make a load of single player RPGs to compete with a single big MMO in terms of world-building and even story expansion.

Let's take the KOTOR world as an example. I love the KOTOR games, and don't like SWTOR that much... That said, I'm really glad we have SWTOR, because it's got loads and loads of story, character and lore in there, with almost acceptable RPG gameplay to go through that. You'd have to make more than 3 KOTOR games to compete with that.

The only bad thing with MMO adaptation of existing lore is that the additional bits of lore and storyline can ruin the lore and story progression in the original. Which I'll admit is a problem - SWTOR is guilty of this on several cases - so developers and writers have to really take care to not mess things up (But again, single player sequels can also mess things up on their own, as we've seen over and over).

• MorgarenMorgaren Member UncommonPosts: 397
    I read through a few pages. No one mentioned star ocean. The entire series was actually you playing as npc's in an MMO, that would be an interesting game to turn into a MMO.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Voiidiin
    Originally posted by Elderknight

Would love to see some oldschool Paper&Dice rpgs turned into mmo's Teenage Mutand Ninja Turtles, Beyond the Super Natural, or Ninja in Super Spies, Robotech would be freaking awesome as well.

Palladium needs to get into the mmo game.

Two words.

Gamma World.

Miss you Gary G.

James Ward not Gary Gygax.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• mari3kmari3k Member Posts: 135

Shadowrun all the way.

Its perfect for MMOs, ... just one more run  ...

Step in the arena and break the wall down

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626
    Originally posted by mari3k

Shadowrun all the way.

Its perfect for MMOs, ... just one more run  ...

Gotta agree on Shadowrun, though thankfully we at least have two Shadowrun games on the horizon. :)

Oh, and I'd also say BloodNet, but I'm not sure I can find one more person interested in it. :P