Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

newbie thinking of returning

schertztschertzt Member Posts: 110

After reading up on Star Citizen, I am getting the urge to 'try' EVE again.

I used to have a Minmitar character with maybe 5-10 million SK, but I really didn't play all that much (just trained).. I know my highest ship was a Hurricane, but I didn't have the greatest fittings (actually pretty bad fittings)

If I want to get back into the game and just start completely over, would it be better to create a whole new account, or transfer all my isk from previous character to new charater and sue that same account?  

Playing: GW2, Planetside 2.
Trying out: Age of Wushu
Looking forward to: AA, Wildstar

Comments

• alterfenixalterfenix Member UncommonPosts: 370
    Originally posted by schertzt

After reading up on Star Citizen, I am getting the urge to 'try' EVE again.

I used to have a Minmitar character with maybe 5-10 million SK, but I really didn't play all that much (just trained).. I know my highest ship was a Hurricane, but I didn't have the greatest fittings (actually pretty bad fittings)

If I want to get back into the game and just start completely over, would it be better to create a whole new account, or transfer all my isk from previous character to new charater and sue that same account?  

No idea what you are up to but if it's missions and you can do it on your existing character then perhaps instead of simply starting over it would be better to work on this character from levels 2 / some 3 and see how it works.

Also for your fits Battleclinic can help alot.

• kovahkovah Member UncommonPosts: 692

Keep in mind there is no reason to start all over.  Okay, so if you don't wanna pay for a new name/race/sex then I can see it but beyond that why not just keep going with the char you had?  If you don't like that chars current skill set - well - train the ones you want but don't "throw away" that real-time training that has already been invested.  Just cause you don't like that chars skill set now doesn't mean in 6 months or so that you'll be pissed cause now you have to retrain those same skills on a new char.

Sure, if we're talking sub 2 mil skillpoints then I guess it doesn't matter.  And as far as ISK, 5-10 mil is pennies.  You'll have that after running through the tutorials and a few missions.  Hell, ask on here or your favorite social media EVE link and you'll almost always get ISK donations.  =)

GL HF Fly Safe,

o7

• ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528
    I'd say not to fall into the EVE time-sink, but if you must, then stick with whatever character you had. If you have been away ahile, you may have a substantial skill-point refund coming to you. Eve never really locks you into a class, so like others said, better to train an existing character for whom many skills already learned are still useful than to throw that time away on a re-roll.
  • free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

I think there are 12 systems that house starter mission lines.

You can run them all at any time with any race. You can 'start over' with a 5 year old character.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

why start over with a new character/account, it's not a levelbased game like a themepark.

Unless your character has a dubious past and you want to start over clean.

And t1 cruisers have been overhauled so they are very useful -and in heavy use- again by all players.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268

How newbie friendly has this game become since the last few years?

I played years many years ago. About 1½ year ago I tried to catch up but I have forgotten everything and actually found it pretty complicated lol.

Is it still like this, or have that part been improved a little?

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

The game will always be complicated that's something you have to know going in.  The key is taking things one step at at time because it's not a game where you can use the best stuff within a month(you may be able to get it though).

Also don't try to do everything as well you'll feel like you're doing nothing.  Pick something and stick to it for awhile at least.  Remember you can train for stuff you aren't doing right now (like if you start off as a miner you can train your combat skills while mining and building a bank).

Lastly find a noob friendly corp.  They'll help you out and give you advice.  Also don't be afraid to google around and use the wiki(and community wiki's like eve unversity's) they are a wealth of knowledge.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ

How newbie friendly has this game become since the last few years?

I played years many years ago. About 1½ year ago I tried to catch up but I have forgotten everything and actually found it pretty complicated lol.

Is it still like this, or have that part been improved a little?

It's always going to be a complex game, but the trick is to just focus on one aspect at a time; you don't have to learn the whole thing. I doubt anyone has completely mastered every aspect of the game.

CCP have done a lot of work on the new player experience, it should be improved from when you last tried it. Use the tutorials to get an idea of what you might like to do, and then focus on that. Don't be afraid to ask for advice, but do try and read up a bit first to avoid asking about stuff that is in the tutorials.

Give me liberty or give me lasers