Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you could go back would you?

cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

I'm talking in time purely in a gaming aspect though. Or are you content and happy with all the games of today. I realize that graphically speaking older games can be hard to look at sometimes. But if you could just forget all the gorgeous graphics and niceties like advanced UIs on your trip back, would you?

remember this is a question from purely a gaming standpoint.

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Not in a million years.

MMOs are much better games today than 10 years ago, for me. Same for many other genre. I would MUCH rather play Bioshock Infinite than DOOM.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

While I love many classic games and a lot of what I enjoy about gaming tends to be things I end up referencing from older/defunct titles, nah.

I love games for a large part for their technical capacity and the possibilities it offers, and that is something that only grows with progress, even if we don't always see games I particularly enjoy playing coming out of it.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Content and happy with all games?  Just like you were content and happy with all games of the past, right?

No.

80% of everything is crap.  80% of old games are crap.  80% of modern games are crap.

But the bar has been raised.  Game designs are better now.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• ghorgosghorgos Member UncommonPosts: 191

I love several old games and still think they are unmatched till today but i already played thoose classics a lot and being stuck with them again instead of having at least the hope for something new isn't something i would want. In addition more advanced graphics and especially much better UI/controlls are something the classics are missing.

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    I would love to have the time i used to have back in the old days. I could spend an entire weekend just gaming and not have to worry about anything. But aside from just getting more time, I think games today are slowly moving in the right direction, as long as the companies start listening more to us and not their wallets as much.
  • DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    I actually did go back, in a way, when I reactivated my EQ1 account.  I'd played it for years, loved it and looked forward to playing it for free... and it was AWFUL.  You can never go back.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Between today's tech and having hundreds of choices to pick from, I wouldn't go back at all. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    Originally posted by Axehilt

Content and happy with all games?  Just like you were content and happy with all games of the past, right?

For some reason the word 'hyperbole' is coming to mind when reading you recently.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Not in a million years.

MMOs are much better games today than 10 years ago, for me. Same for many other genre. I would MUCH rather play Bioshock Infinite than DOOM.

lol    I completely disagree.

Most popular FPS for the PC? Yup. Still the ORIGINAL Counter-Strike and TF2.

MMOs...     Obviously much better back in the day...  back when they were virtual worlds. These days, all we experience is a huge initial population during the first month. After that, it's a complete exodus. After that, it's Free to Play, which ends up costing more than $15 per month just to have basic gaming functions, e.g., ability to hold a certain amount of gold, ability to browse auction house, etc.

Out of all the Unreal Tournament games, UT99 (the first) is the only one with a real community.

WoW, as much as I hate the game, still holds the most people.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Not a chance. There's a reason our eyes are placed in the front of our heads. That being said I'll never regret the mmos I've played, just don't have desire to repeat playing them.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

I don't know.

Some really old MMOs still exist for me to go back to if I want but because I've played them to exhaustion I would not keep playing them.

Now, if we are talking if I could go back in time and play some games like SWG in it's prime, which I didn't get to do, then I absolutely would.

If I could replay some of fun times I had in the old MMOs I used to play (back in that time), yes.

What was great about them was that there were a lot of new things to experience and the in that time period it was fun to discover that with the game communities (nerds). The games weren't exactly more fun or had better design overall.

So it you are asking if I want to go back to playing tic tac toe, the answer is no.

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430

Would I prefer to play older games over new ones? - no way!

Would I prefer to play a new game with old game design rather than the modern, accessible one? hell yeah!

There's no MMO released since 2009 that is worth to even log on, so I can very well save my money and spend my free time playing those old and ugly games as f2p.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Dauzqul
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Not in a million years.

lol    I completely disagree.

Most popular FPS for the PC? Yup. Still the ORIGINAL Counter-Strike and TF2.

MMOs...     Obviously much better back in the day...  back when they were virtual worlds. These days, all we experience is a huge initial population during the first month. After that, it's a complete exodus. After that, it's Free to Play, which ends up costing more than $15 per month just to have basic gaming functions, e.g., ability to hold a certain amount of gold, ability to browse auction house, etc.

Out of all the Unreal Tournament games, UT99 (the first) is the only one with a real community.

WoW, as much as I hate the game, still holds the most people.

You can disagree. The OP is asking people for their personal opinion. Mine is as valid as yours.

And yes, MMOs were vritual worlds .. but worse games. They are much better games now. And what is the problem with huge initial population, then exodus? Have some free fun, then move to another game. You can't do that in the old days. That is why it is much better, for me, now.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Definitely not; the mmorpg I've stuck with has advanced in leaps and bounds over the last 10 years, and I'm sure it's the same with many others.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

I wouldn't want to go back knowing what I know now, the games would be boring. If it was all new again sure. Most of the reason it was all so exciting is because it was all new and you'd never done anything like it.

The people were all different then too. Way less bitter angery people. The communities back then were made up of people who wanted to get to know others and be part of a vertual world. Now it's mostly people who want to use others to get loot/xp/gold...whatever.

• LilpetLilpet Member Posts: 1

As far as going back in time to play a particular game I would say no, but, I would love to be able to go back in time and experience the OMG factor of the first time I logged into an MMO again.  The awe that came with realizing how huge the world was, the excitement and intensity of the first big boss fight in a raid with 70 other people, the sense of epic awesomeness the first time I beat that big boss that took us weeks of struggle and planning to overcome.

Its somewhat like taking a drug I suppose.  In the beginning everything is just ... wow.. then you spend the rest of your gaming time chasing the feeling you had back when you were a true newb in the MMO world.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by cybertrucker

I'm talking in time purely in a gaming aspect though. Or are you content and happy with all the games of today. I realize that graphically speaking older games can be hard to look at sometimes. But if you could just forget all the gorgeous graphics and niceties like advanced UIs on your trip back, would you?

remember this is a question from purely a gaming standpoint.

Oh absolutely. Graphically speaking most of those old games hold up quite well. And despite the worse fidelity, the gameplay sucks you in and is much more immersive than modern MMOs.

If classic Dark Age of Camelot existed, I'd be playing it. No modern MMOs have been able to measure up to the quality of Golden Age MMOs.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by deniter

Would I prefer to play older games over new ones? - no way!

Would I prefer to play a new game with old game design rather than the modern, accessible one? hell yeah!

There's no MMO released since 2009 that is worth to even log on, so I can very well save my money and spend my free time playing those old and ugly games as f2p.

Try since 2004 :/ Though Vanguard and Darkfall are close.

• BahamutKaiserBahamutKaiser Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Games have gotten better... Standards have skyrocketed though... That's why players are unsatisfied, going back in time would profit gamers little, most good classics are still running, the only thing to gain is another brush with popularity booms in certain games.

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, if they get angry, they'll be a mile away... and barefoot.

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796

Should have made a poll on this.   Would be nice to see how it would have done, given that you don't have to be vocal to participate.  I understand wanting a reason for X or Y though.

They butchered EQ.  For the last few years, it has been just a shimmer of its former self.  That leaves only one option, which I can't speak of, to actually "go back" to what it was.

So you could say you can't go back even if you wanted to.. and in a sense that's right.  But ehh.. You *can*.

That said, if I could go back I would - but only if all of the following were true. 

1)  Visuals, as you said, would be "fresh" again

2)  I had the time to play that I once did.  Even though I was in my 20's when EQ came out, I had a lot more time to devote to MMORPGs.

3)  All of my old friends, and the first guild I created (which required an actual GM and was a ceremony), were there as well.

So yeah.. If this and that, then goback();

• jackel88jackel88 Member UncommonPosts: 13

The thing I miss most about the 'old days' is the real sense of community you got on an MMORPG.

My favourite would have been Mir2 - the community on there back in the day was fantastic, you just don't get that anymore nowadays. I'm not sure if its because of a change in the mentality, or the design of the game, but I'd definitely without a doubt go back to those days.

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688

I don't like the MMORPGs of today, not sure if I would want to play any of the old school ones right now either.  I could defnitely go back to Vanguard if and only if they brought back the FFA PVP server and it had a healthy population.  That server is the most fun I have ever had playing MMORPGs despite all the horrible bugs/problems at launch.  The open PVP in that game was just fun as hell with a large population.  It had tab target combat which is lame but the skills that they had in that game were so unique and cool that the combat was actually a blast.  

Things weren't balanced well but everything felt kind of overpowered.  I remember how excited I was when I killed my first Cleric, since they were practically impossible to kill (though not particularly dangerous)  I remember being chased by a sorcerer almost dead and teleporting behind the guy and murdering him.   I remember how pets were so buggy that it was really hard to target them, and this made the crappy pet classes viable.   I remember how Bards made there group members flicker in and out of invisibility and could keep a player incapacitated for however long they felt like it.  I remember how druids could do an enormous amount of damage with one spell, so you had to be wary.  I remember how Blood Mages could siphon health off an enemy and redirect it to an ally.   I remember how Paladins had a low level skill that was bugged to do enormous damage in PVP, but the tooltip was so bad that few people bothered.  When you saw a paladin though you RAN!!  I remember when running through New Targenor always meant someone would try and kill you so you had to be hyper alert.  With all the fixes now that game would be great if they re added the FFA PVP server with the same system of gold looting that they had before.

The bugs, crashes, falling through the environment, gold duping ect. really killed the games population and somewhere along the line they merged servers and decided the FFA server was not needed.  I hate PVE so end sub there.  When I think back on MMORPGs that is the one I think i liked the most...

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Currently about 10 friends of mine and I are playing an unofficial "older" version (circa 2003) of a MMORPG and loving the old school feel and mechanics. 

I enjoy the slow grinding, challenges of npc's that resist different abilities/weapons, and the "surprise factor", when sometimes, for some reason the npc just resists all attacks and kills me flat.. (requiring a nice long horse ride back to pick up my grave after healing back my con)

When I joined them recently I expressed my inability to find pleasure in modern mmo's for more than a short time and as one person put it, "you are probably too intelligent to stick with those for very long".

Uhhh, yeah, that's it, too smart for them, that's my story and sticking to it.  image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Nah. I learned pretty quickly that I didn't like MMORPGs of the time.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Currently about 10 friends of mine and I are playing an unofficial "older" version (circa 2003) of a MMORPG and loving the old school feel and mechanics. 

I enjoy the slow grinding, challenges of npc's that resist different abilities/weapons, and the "surprise factor", when sometimes, for some reason the npc just resists all attacks and kills me flat.. (requiring a nice long horse ride back to pick up my grave after healing back my con)

When I joined them recently I expressed my inability to find pleasure in modern mmo's for more than a short time and as one person put it, "you are probably too intelligent to stick with those for very long".

Uhhh, yeah, that's it, too smart for them, that's my story and sticking to it.  image

Still playing FFXI and i will until they shut it down. No fancy new game with shiny graphics is even close. Some of the new games are fun, but like above poster said, i feel insulted by the hand holding and easy mode.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"