Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall: Unholy Wars: Steam Unveils Subscription Services

2»

Comments

• ironhelixironhelix Member Posts: 448
    Originally posted by bestever
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by ironhelix
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    Originally posted by Herbie3000
    Would so play this game if it didn't require a sub :(

If you can't afford the sub to a game like this, then it probably isn't for you anyway. This is full loot with consequences, F2P doesn't work here. Use your brain for a second.

Full loot is so hardcore because it makes players pick one of dozens of suits of armor from their bank each time they die.  Actually, that sounds about as hardcore as the gold cost to repair equipment in WoW.

That's not the point. The point is that monetizing a full loot game means people can actually have the items they spent REAL money looted off their corpse. Are you really ready to drop your hard-earned cash on pixels that I can steal from you in the game? If you ARE, then it seems like you can afford a subscription too. Get it?

Lineage 2 seems to manage this.  Get it?

So did runes of magic with gear locks. Get it? Also they could make anything they have in the store a non loot item.  Only the items you get in game can be taken from other players. 

It could work just fine but what could they even put in a shop that would make them money is the question. The game has a sub and that's fine but to say that it can't be F2P is just dumb. 

So your answer is that they actually change the loot mechanics so that cash shop items can't be looted? It kind of ceases to become full-loot at that point, and turns into every other shitty F2P crap-fest that already plagues the MMO world, doesn't it? Why don't you go play one of those other games, instead of trying to change THIS game into something it was never meant to be?

For fuck's sake man, I don't even know why I am trying to talk sense to you retards...

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    My question is, once you sub how would you cancel if you no longer had the money is there some sort of subscription management tab on steam that I'm missing? I am planning on buying DF:UW tonight but I just dont want to do it over steam if theres no option to cancel if I don't decide to keep it going. Also does this version come with a free month or is it 55 off the bat, because it says nothing about a free month.
  • corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341
    Originally posted by Herbie3000
    Would so play this game if it didn't require a sub :(

If you can't afford the sub to a game like this, then it probably isn't for you anyway. This is full loot with consequences, F2P doesn't work here. Use your brain for a second.

except.... Mortal Online with the same full loot, blah blah IS free to play.  regardless what you think of their game, it seems to be working just fine for them.

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341
    Originally posted by Panther2103
    My question is, once you sub how would you cancel if you no longer had the money is there some sort of subscription management tab on steam that I'm missing? I am planning on buying DF:UW tonight but I just dont want to do it over steam if theres no option to cancel if I don't decide to keep it going. Also does this version come with a free month or is it 55 off the bat, because it says nothing about a free month.

no, $40.  you get a free month.  then $15 more dollars 30 days from now if you don't cancel

Corpus Callosum    

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Originally posted by corpusc
    Originally posted by Panther2103

no, $40.  you get a free month.  then $15 more dollars 30 days from now if you don't cancel

Okay that's good, thanks for the info.

• SeandumasSeandumas Member UncommonPosts: 11

For fuck's sake man, I don't even know why I am trying to talk sense to you retards...

Its ok man, just breathe in, and breathe out. Its impossible to get a point across to these people, it went right over their heads.

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963
    14.99 is a standard price for a sub for MMo's now for years, so when people say thats expensive, boggles my mind..
  • LongLivePvPLongLivePvP Member Posts: 102
    I had to quit playing the game *sigh...this game requires so much grind to be viable for endgame pvp. I will wait for ArcheAge

Playing: Darkfall Unholy Wars & ArcheAge(Alpha)
    Backed: Shards Online, Camelot Unchained
    Loved: Vanilla WoW,UO,Shadowbane,EQ,DAoC,Asheron's Call(Darktide)

• Riss1234Riss1234 Member Posts: 11
    I am not aware that this game can be played on steam now. Anyway It's nice to see it on steam, I have account there and will probably try it once I am not busy :)
  • PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    FULL STEAM AHEAD.
  • BelegStrongbowBelegStrongbow Member UncommonPosts: 296
    i feel this is super news worthy and should be blasted all over the internet.  But so many darkfall haters
  • EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238
    People keep talking about how a sub game could be F2P and then complain when the competitive people spend way more than $15 a month.

I still prefer how a subscription keeps the questions simple enough: "is the game worth it? am I going to spend enough time to be worth it?"

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by EricDanie
    People keep talking about how a sub game could be F2P and then complain when the competitive people spend way more than $15 a month.

I still prefer how a subscription keeps the questions simple enough: "is the game worth it? am I going to spend enough time to be worth it?"

The psychology of the F2P crowd always amuses me.

They want to play the game for free, but then they also want to yell at the people who spend money on it.

For example, I spent about 500 dollars on World of Tanks in the two years that it's been out.  Two of those purchases were 50 dollar tanks, the Lowe and the IS6.  Then I join matches in those tanks and the useless, contribute nothing to the development of the game welfare warriors start browbeating me for buying them.  I'm sitting there thinking "You ungrateful little shit.  You're playing this game on MY back, and you want to bitch about it??".

• XarnthalXarnthal Member Posts: 130
    Originally posted by h0urg1ass
    Originally posted by EricDanie

The psychology of the F2P crowd always amuses me.

They want to play the game for free, but then they also want to yell at the people who spend money on it.

For example, I spent about 500 dollars on World of Tanks in the two years that it's been out.  Two of those purchases were 50 dollar tanks, the Lowe and the IS6.  Then I join matches in those tanks and the useless, contribute nothing to the development of the game welfare warriors start browbeating me for buying them.  I'm sitting there thinking "You ungrateful little shit.  You're playing this game on MY back, and you want to bitch about it??".

And that's the reason all the true "gamers" hate the F2P crowd. They're more interested in it being free than the gameplay, which is pathetic. 

Sennheiser
    Assist
    Thage

• RevenanthawkRevenanthawk Member Posts: 7

Yeah they go for free games and in the end they spend more money there than they wouldve done in a P2P game...lol.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Why is it £12.49 though, most mmos are £8.99

Yeah I might have tried the game (not played the original release) but £30 box price and £12 sub fee? what are they the Apple of the MMO's?  a £10 box and £5 sub and id be right in there, it's hardly a AAA game.

And the various saying 14.99 is standard, yes it is in dollors but we're tlaking about £ and Euro it's £12.50 which is $19.50 USD.. $19.50 USD for a sub is not standard.

• uospenceuospence Member Posts: 1

I don't usually comment, or share my thoughts, but if it helps someone make a choice -

This game is NOT for everyone.

There are no "quests". There is no "hand-holding". If you like games like EVE or UO ( Mortal Online, AC etc ) You will like this game. Period.

The items have to be crafted by people IN the game using various ingredients you collect from around the Map. There is a grind, but this time around, it's "easier" to grind. It will get boring, it's very monotonus at time. You can put points into other skills ( even from chopping wood all day ) if you want to, which reducing grind. As you learn the game, however, it becomes quite clear what advantages you will have from taking the time to craft, collect, explore and grind. The economy in game is run by the players, not an auction house. This is a Sandbox game. If you like creating your "own" story, making your own mark in an online game however you choose to, you will also like this game.

This is OPEN PVP and OPEN LOOT. There are small areas to learn the game near the starting towns, you can even learn to craft/mine/chop wood/fish etc in peace. However, you will often find a concentration of people in the safe zones, so resources are harder to get sometimes and you will have to stray out of the safe zone sometimes, even early, if you want to find plentiful resources. You WILL DIE, you will get pk'd, you will get ganked. I even see lots of players dying early to MOBs while they are learning and experimenting. Again, this is a "hardcore" game. I saw people comparing other games to this above and I've played a TON of f2p and sub games in the past. I consider this a "hardcore" game. Everything is earned, not given. You have to work with your guild, or bring something to the table. Everyone has a role to play. You can also be a lone-wolf, if you like, but I would warn that's even harder. I actually solo a lot, but it's best played with friends or a guild. Again, this is a PVP oriented game. The game shines when it comes to PVP and it's only going to get better.

To answer the Sub VRS f2p question:

The game is worth a sub. I have see the transition of games from P2P and F2P and I can tell you why some work, and some don't. Games like League of Legends work free to play because they are not PAY to win. The Asian F2P games started this trend ( which I completely agree with, you should pay to support the game, not to get advantages ) They are making money by selling champions, skins, etc. This is a very smart way to do it, but it's a MOBA style game. In Darkfall's case, they are not a huge company. Aventurine SA is a Greek independent video game developer and publisher founded in 2003, located in Athens, Greece. The monthly fee helps them run a U.S and EU server and that is expensive. Very expensive. Games are VERY expensive to make in general, and then there's your staff, keeping the game patched and the list goes on. Also, this type of game wouldn't work on micro-transactions. There is nothing to buy from a "Cash Shop", and if there were, it would completely ruin the concept of this game. You have to build all of your own items for a reason. To give you, or your guildmates, that slight advantage. That's what it's about.

The idea of this game is essentially this: PvP, explore, make friends, enemies, PvE ( yes you can PvE but it's quite hard to do it in a "Role Play" fashion ) build ships, armor, weapons, houses, furniture and the list goes on. You can really make about anything. HP pots, Mana pots, Stam pots etc. Lvl'ing up is not hard once you learn what you're doing and the GUI. ( the controls seem very awkward and sloppy at first, but become quite intuitive with time ) You can switch Roles [ Mage ( elementalist ) /Archer  ( skimisher ) / Warrior/   Healer ( primalist ) ] or you can stick to one role and focus on that purely. You have freedom to do pretty much whatever you want and that's the idea. I will continue playing this game and I encourage anyone that has a bit of time to dedicate to a game, or takes gaming seriously, to play this game.