Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Camelot Unchained: Stealth Mechanic Revealed

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Camelot Unchained is winding down its KickStarter campaign and the dev team has revealed a lot of great features that will be included. In an exclusive reveal, Mark Jacobs sheds some light on the stealth system that players can expect in Camelot Unchained. Treat yourself to a great read before leaving your thoughts in the comments.

MMORPG:  It’s been a long time coming that people found out how you’re going to handle Stealth in CU.  What’ve you learned from time spent on DAoC and WAR, to help influence your decisions with Camelot Unchained?

Mark Jacobs: First, I wanted to build a stealth mechanic that is geared to the RvR focus of Camelot Unchained, one that gives stealthers the ability to play a major role in the game. Second, I wanted to design a system that rewarded solo play stealthers while discouraging roaming groups of them since in a game like CU, where we want players of all levels in RvR, their impact could be substantial. Third, I dislike the movement slowdown of some stealther implementations because that gets old fast. Finally, I wanted to see if I could design something that will be both fun for the stealthers and not incredibly frustrating for their victims. I also looked at the implementation of the mechanic in every MMORPG I’ve played and a few others that I didn’t. 

Read more of Bill Murphy's Camelot Unchained: Stealth Mechanic Revealed.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• eindinblocheindinbloch Member Posts: 60

Stealth class looks awesome!  I'll be glad to finally have a mechanic that makes sense.  Why else would I randomly be able to turn invisible?

Keep it up!

• KoroshiyaKoroshiya Member UncommonPosts: 265

Sounds interesting, there are a few things about this game that have me on the fence.. I've seen GW2 put out a AAA Title that didn't require a sub, so they will have to do something pretty epic to make me pay a monthly again.

But DAoC was pretty epic, so if there is a lore, and a time period of game that could do it, it would be a mix of Pre-TOA, mix of some Catacombs, DAoC.  I have faith that he can make the game, I just am not so sure his strength in staying with that vision is there.

“The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off , why should I. Light up the darkness” – Bob Marley

• Jixen9Jixen9 Member UncommonPosts: 49
    all i know is i want to be closest class to the old Nightshade....... hell yes
  • BahamutKaiserBahamutKaiser Member UncommonPosts: 314

I'm very impressed with the amount of detail being considered for seperate features, some of the things that are disappointing in some MMOs is that everythings designed for everybody so they can get the maximum amount of use out of each feature, but doesn't deliver the quality that makes a game surreal.

I wish them luck in their endevour.

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, if they get angry, they'll be a mile away... and barefoot.

• demonic87demonic87 Member UncommonPosts: 438
    Ugh, another game that puts in the all broken stealth mechanic. There has to be an alternative to a stealth class that isn't "lolinvisibleinplainsight".
  • ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

I still like to think of stealthers as the class for cowards. :P

That said Valestalker sounds good, love to support and would really love being able to constantly thwart weak-minded stealthers from accomplishing anything other than dying.

• BeggarKingBeggarKing Member UncommonPosts: 15
    @Demonic87... How on earth can you say this is another broken stealth mechanic? I'm not yet sure how much I like it as I'm an old school daoc stealther BUT, thus is as far from big standard stealth as any games tried!! There's no insta pop stealth, no huge opening attacks one shotting players, no insta vanish once you have attacked something. To simply dismiss it like you have is a bit silly tbh. If stealthers choose to go off and hunt in the veil then they attack players who come into the veil, these other players from what we've seen so far are "banished" (for want of a better word) to the veil by crowd controlling players so instead of whole grps being mezzed for 9s unable to do anything, they get banished to the veil where they then have to face any stealthers hunting in there, much more interesting idea than standing still for 9s with zZzZzZ a I've your head?
  • FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Not sure how this will turn out, but at least it sounds interesting and different.

If it were for me, I'd remove classes based primarily on stealth from the face of the universe, permanently. They've caused me more grief over the years than any amount of time spent looking for healers or tanks in a chat channel. The pure concept of combining a burst class with on-demand invisibility is a balance nightmare imo, but still one almost every MMO out there takes on.

I hope they won't repeat those mistakes. But I still vividly remember the promises of GW2 in this regard and how it eventually turned out to be 2 - button spamming classes who did insane damage, could continuously re-stealth in combat and would perpetually make entire zergs of people trying to take an objective pointless, for several months.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• As a guy who loves playing both stealthers and non-stealthers, I must say I love the concept of this. It keeps stealth interesting and important while reducing the balance/annoyance problems it presents to non-stealthers.
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

It sounds pretty good :)

• morbuskabismorbuskabis Member Posts: 290
    Sounds interesting. Not quite sure how this will work out in practice, but I hope I will see it when the game is funded

image -Massive-Industries- Heavy Duty

• tenfoldedmighttenfoldedmight Member Posts: 54

Nice read! Played a stealther in daoc as well and had my eyebrowsed raised when i first heared about this but after giving it a few mins and read some comments etc i will def play one in CU as well

• rgeworkanrgeworkan Member Posts: 4
    good post. Love the idea!!! Keep it up. This game will be great!!!
  • CExyCExy Member CommonPosts: 26
    Refreshing... :)
  • saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678
    again everything on paper that will never work in a mmo
  • saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678

dbl post :D

delete please

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    An entire class designed specifically to avoid complaints from forum posters about an older game... that's different. I'm far from convinced this design will even appeal to players who like assassins but maybe that's the whole point.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• LordSneergLordSneerg Member Posts: 119
    Game keeps sounding better and better.  Hope they get the funding.  
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Sounds stupid IMO.
  • idgaradidgarad Member Posts: 174
    Same Mark Jacobs who gave us ToA right?
  • mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    This is definetly a unique take on a simple mechanic.
  • shin_chanshin_chan Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Originally posted by saurus123
    again everything on paper that will never work in a mmo

agree.

We have already seen many beautiful ideas that have never been realized in the world of MMO

this sounding sales pitch...

• gylnnegylnne Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Yes very refreshing. And also BSE, (Bat Shit Crazy):)
  • RandomCasualtyRandomCasualty Member UncommonPosts: 327
    Originally posted by ZoeMcCloskey

I still like to think of stealthers as the class for cowards. :P

Well hopefully it will become a class for the "patient" ( I remember waiting a long time hanging off a wall stealthed waiting to time a PA on an ugly Archer spamming arrows onto the battlefield). I always believed a stealth class (especially in PvP/RvR) should be a carefull thinker and planner on how they will attack. Sounds like they are doing a great job of at least trying to develop a way for a stealth class to still have fun in PvE and be able perform in player poking as well. Will be interesting!

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    Sounds awesome.