Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Could a MMO with very high minimum hardware specs be successful?

Comments

• Beoelf21Beoelf21 Member Posts: 91
    AOC did it, granted it was not a good start for them..but then again they are still very much in business.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by waynejr2
    Originally posted by MMOExposed
    As graphics gone up, gameplay has gone down. Prove me wrong. Talking about this genre only.

I don't think I can because I feel you are correct. Sure some little changes have been made, but the mmorpg isn't where I thought it would be when it first started.  AKA, virtual worlds.

I had to really think about that one, but I can't really find an exception to that rule. We have better graphics and less features each year.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• khartokhar3khartokhar3 Member UncommonPosts: 486
    the problem why so many mmos fail lately is not the graphics. there are many mmos with good graphics (tera, tsw, gw2 etc). the problem is that alot of them are lackin content or they just place the weight on the wrong content.
  • darkbladeddarkbladed Member Posts: 193
    In a good economy maybe, but in an economy like ours present, many people would not be able to afford a new basic gaming computer (much less such an expensive one).
  • bugmenobugmeno Member Posts: 85
    Originally posted by Beoelf21
    AOC did it, granted it was not a good start for them..but then again they are still very much in business.

yeah 1.0 was a bugfest (allegedely never played back then) but look at 4.0 now

still best looking MMO out there hands down. Such a beautiful immersive world almost made me cry sometimes how immersive this world is. I got so l lost in Hyboria and the different countries, just wow.This is what immersion means in an MMO to me, Conan did it right. 

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

It would have to be an awfully good game. And there's nothing on that requirement list that would make it any more likely that it would be.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

Last time i upgraded for a game was age of conan, lesson learned.  then i watched my friend spend a bunch to upgrade for battlefield 3, lesson learned for him.  never upgrade for a game especially somthing new coming out because you dont even know for sure if its going to be good.

unless of course you need to upgrade anyways then it might be worth it.

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053
    Originally posted by DrunkWolf

Last time i upgraded for a game was age of conan, lesson learned.  then i watched my friend spend a bunch to upgrade for battlefield 3, lesson learned for him.  never upgrade for a game especially somthing new coming out because you dont even know for sure if its going to be good.

unless of course you need to upgrade anyways then it might be worth it.

No.. you should always have an upgrade plan & path and be following it.  Blindly buying/building is the reason most don't have up-to-date systems.

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

Vanguard tried that, EQ2 tried that. And those weren't even THAT advanced but they required enough to show that most people don't have that kind of system.

You really want a developer to pump money into a game that requires a $1,500 desktop gaming rig to play? Sony got hurt with PS3 launch because it was $600. People already complain they have to buy a $800 gaming computer just to play some games.

Originally posted by darkbladed
    In a good economy maybe, but in an economy like ours present, many people would not be able to afford a new basic gaming computer (much less such an expensive one).

Ya, people always say this stuff. But all I see is people buying !@#$ like drunken sailors lol. Smartphones and tablets are seeing record profits but "everyones too poor because of this economy"!

I honestly don't know one person who is worse of since the recession began. I'm not saying people haven't been affected. But I feel like a lot of it has just become a buzz word almost.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    Originally posted by Fendel84M

I honestly don't know one person who is worse of since the recession began.

Hi.

• TolrocTolroc Member UncommonPosts: 111
    Vanguard went hat route. It had a high hardware requirement for its time. It didn't work out too well for them although they had a lot of other issues besides the hardware requirements.
  • MibletMiblet Member Posts: 333
    I honestly don't know one person who is worse of since the recession began. I'm not saying people haven't been affected. But I feel like a lot of it has just become a buzz word almost.

Really?

I'm not the most social person on the planet and I know a fair few (myself among them).  But then again I also know people who believe that everyone has internet access at home if they live in a first world country.

A lot of people trivialise things that do not affect them, or believe them to be of no great concern.

• HowryHowry Member UncommonPosts: 116

Vanguard when it was released had issues due to hardware specs.

It did have alot of bugs as well but so many people with average and below systems just werent able to run it properly.

People with high end systems were the only ones that could play the game effectively and their player base just crashed.

• GarkanGarkan Member Posts: 552

Ya, people always say this stuff. But all I see is people buying !@#$ like drunken sailors lol. Smartphones and tablets are seeing record profits but "everyones too poor because of this economy"!

Some stuff is selling like crazy but people are making choices, hundreds of millions of people are buying tablets and smartphones but chances are they cut back on something else to do it.

Currently playing:

EVE online (Ruining low sec one hotdrop at a time)

Gravity Rush,
    Dishonoured: The Knife of Dunwall.

(Waiting for) Metro: Last Light,
    Company of Heroes II.

Originally posted by Miblet

Really?

I'm not the most social person on the planet and I know a fair few (myself among them).  But then again I also know people who believe that everyone has internet access at home if they live in a first world country.

A lot of people trivialise things that do not affect them, or believe them to be of no great concern.

Fair enough. But I'm speaking more to the people who blame the economy, even though I know for a fact they are no worse off, and sometimes actually better off than they were before.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by h0urg1ass

Can Apple release a new iPhone every year and have thousands of people line up to buy them until they run out of stock?

If you make it well, then people will play it.  You can pretty much ignore the whining and crying in this thread.  They'll find the money to upgrade if it's a good enough game to upgrade for.

Apples and Oranges, unless you're saying that there was a specific iOS game that people upgraded their iPhone for. If so, which one?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by h0urg1ass

Can Apple release a new iPhone every year and have thousands of people line up to buy them until they run out of stock?

If you make it well, then people will play it.  You can pretty much ignore the whining and crying in this thread.  They'll find the money to upgrade if it's a good enough game to upgrade for.

Apples and Oranges, unless you're saying that there was a specific iOS game that people upgraded their iPhone for. If so, which one?

Infinity Blade 2?

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Well planetside 2 and tsw spring to mind.

Ps2 is doing pretty good, I think soe have said its been their biggest success in years

Tsw didn't sell well at first, but I gather its become more popular since.
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

One game, 3 words...World of Warcraft.

That is one of the reasons why it's so successful.  It can run on just about any computer, and it runs well on them.  With a minimum system requirement like OP said, even if you meet that minimum, the game will still play like a turd.  This is where most new MMOs go wrong.  It's completely possible to make super graphics, but they release the game with too low of minimum requirments for the game to play well.  It'll play, but you'll get 10 fps, which is near unplayable.  My laptop is much better than the GW2 min specs, but it plays with like 5fps in crowded areas with lots of players and npcs around.  It is a laptop, but if you go to like the Isle of Thunder in WoW, the graphics are pretty good looking there, I can run everything maxed on my laptop, and pull off 20+ fps.  In raids on max settings I finally get down into the 10-15 fps, but in raids you don't really care about what things look like, so I turn them down and get 60fps, which is my laptop's cap.

Edit: not picking on GW2, other recent mmos have done the same thing.  TSW also did the same thing, with minimum requirements you'll get like 5 fps...yea that's really playable lol.  Planetside 2 also has high system requirements, and they also excluded alot of graphics cards being supported.  My laptop's gpu is alot better than thier "minimum" and has double the memory of thier minimum, but it's not supported by the game for some weird reason lol.  Leave it to SOE to mess it up, and it'll probably never be fixed...look at vanguard, still has bugs the game launched with lol.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Well yeah you should run well for what you are.

That's one of the problems with swtor. Looks lower Polly than gw2, fiesta have to handle big crowds and the like, needs more of a beast to run it than ps2.
  • ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    I did it for Vanguard back in the day. That didn't turn out too well. But if everyone was raving about the game and I liked what I saw then I might well do it.
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Unless such a game would really be brilliant in many other respects, I wouldnt bother.

And games that put such a focus on graphics are almost never good games.

Only exception I can think of was original Tomb Raider. That was back in the day the top title in respect to graphics and an awesome game. Tomb Raider 2 also, in a lesser respect. An even better game, graphically improved too, but no longer challenging the ladership in graphics.

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245
    I only play AMD focussed games yours is advertisement for nvidia so no interest by me then:P
  • LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 542

Answer: no, I won't play such mmorpg.

Reason: game is more than that beautifull Dragon of Death that explodes into 256 millions pieces each of different colour. Game, based entirely on visual effects, will be dead few years later.