Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What RPG would you make into an MMORPG?

Comments

• RossbossRossboss Member Posts: 240
    Originally posted by jandrsn
    Maybe we should stop shoehorning single player games into mmorpg's? Seeing as how they were designed to let one single person affect the entire world when in a mmo that'd be anathema. Dude, solitare is a totally popular game, let's make an mmo out of it to get monthly subs! Brilliant!

Brilliant!

Next on our list is Skifree, it will make the experience more realistic and more immersive to be stuck in a line to get on the ride to the top and the abominable snowman at the bottom will be a good end-boss!

I agree, some games are better left untouched or having an online ability with their offline main game.

I played WoW up until WotLK, played RoM for 2 years and now Rift.
    I am F2P player. I support games when I feel they deserve my money and I want the items enough.
    I don't troll, and I don't take kindly to trolls.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

It really depends.

• Turning them into MMOs?  Ehhh, that wouldn't be great.
    • Turning them into Coop RPGs?  Absolutely!
    • Leaving their core gameplay totally unchanged?  Ehh, as multiplayer that wouldn't play so hot (unless they were originally multiplayer games, like SoM.)
    • Recreating a modern take on  Classic Games?  Absolutely!

For example a modern Final Fantasy 3 would involve each character having substantially more depth to each character, much better specializaiton of each character (or class, if you rework them) so that you need to rely on your groupmates more, and substantially more interesting enemy design.

That's a lot of non-FF3-like qualities, but would be kinda required to create a game that didn't just last a single week coasting along on nostalgia and then dying.  You'd still have the SNES Sprites vibe.  You'd still have side-view battles with an active time battle system.

You'd have to figure out the world map (joining a party with a leader and letting only them control world map movement sounds janky.)

But there are quite a few game worlds I'd love to re-explore in that format of a modernized classic IP.

• Many early FF games
    • Secret of Mana
    • Eye of the Beholder (Legend of Grimrock was a fantastic modern take on this, but still didn't really cross the multiplayer boundary.)
    • Gold Box series (Death Knights of Krynn being the only one I really played much.)  But with non-AD&D combat.
    • Destiny of an Emperor (wouldn't mind seeing this remade too; Atlantica Online's combat is pretty close to how the army vs. army combat might work.)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Arcanum would make an excellent MMO. There aren't enough steampunk or dieselpunk games out there as it is, and I'd love to see one finally done competently. The world of Arcanum would be a near-perfect setting for an MMORPG.

Dark Souls, or at least the world of it. Part of the atmosphere of the game is derived from just how lonely & desolate the world feels however, and I don't know how they could replicate it in an MMORPG format. Then again, being surrounded by people can sometimes be just as lonely as standing by oneself...

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

Arcanum : Of steamworks and magic obscura

Dark Messiah of might and magic

• ElderknightElderknight Member UncommonPosts: 322

Would love to see some oldschool Paper&Dice rpgs turned into mmo's Teenage Mutand Ninja Turtles, Beyond the Super Natural, or Ninja in Super Spies, Robotech would be freaking awesome as well.

Palladium needs to get into the mmo game.

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013
    M&B and Skyrim for me
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I would choose Fallout, as it's just about the only RPG I've finished. The subject matter provides a wide variety of locations and a well established storyline and world. The only issue is seeing hundreds of people out in the 'wasteland'. You'd have to do something about that, but otherwise, I think it would be great.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433
    Grendizer

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020

any attempt at trying to make an already established game into an mmo would just be an attempt at money grabbing at the fans of said game. not saying you can't stay true to a game when making it into an mmo and that the fans don't want it, just saying. people need to start making good quality original stuff and not try to double dip.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Turok 2 N64 sandbox mmo open world no loadscreens or instance.

Vampire masquerade: bloodlines PC sandbox mmo

Jet force gimini N64 themepark mmo

Underworld 1&2 movies Lycans vs vampires sandbox mmo open world no loadscreens or instance.

Wild west western Sandbox mmo open world like darkfall no loadscreens or instance.

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245
    True open free roaming world like Skyrim sandbox no instance or loadscreens OPEN WORLD FFA PVP with npc,s and smart AI. Real exploring world with great dungeons and many secrets to discover.
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

I would make a classic fantasy MMO.

How I would make it, well I think I wrote about this at this site often enough.

Last time was in this thread.

• LogicLesterLogicLester Member UncommonPosts: 68

I have one compound word for you, Autoduel (aka Car Wars).

It would be perfect for an MMO in my opinion.

• Tonin109Tonin109 Member Posts: 201

none

they killed FF and Draque already

stop adding online on every title .....

Suikoden online, Seiken online, Chrono Trigger online, Zelda online ......

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Originally posted by Adamantine

I would make a classic fantasy MMO.

How I would make it, well I think I wrote about this at this site often enough.

Last time was in this thread.

Err, I somehow forgot the main thing I wanted to write:

I dont really give much of a crap what RPG setting it would be based on, as long as its classic fantasy and I got the base mechanics in a way that the gaming itself will be fun and I would have the artistic freedom to add anything I want even if the original setting wouldnt have it yet.

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by Qtar

1.Fable: The Lost Chapters

2.Might and Magic

I think they are making a Fable MMORPG. I read an article on IGN, I can't seem to find it now ... however I do remember seeing somewhere that they were starting to work on it. Not sure if its going to be console or PC or both though.

Originally posted by Tonin109

none

they killed FF and Draque already

stop adding online on every title .....

Suikoden online, Seiken online, Chrono Trigger online, Zelda online ......

First of all I just want to say that Chrono Trigger is my favorite RPG of all time. I would love to see that made into an MMORPG of some sort. It would be difficult because of the "time" variable but it would be worth while if they got it right.

I kind of agree they really did mess up FF online. I have lost my faith in square to be honest with you, they tend to just do whatever they want even though their fans tell them what they need to do in order to get the sales they want. Hell if they made a Chrono Trigger 2 I would sit in line and throw money at the clerk to get the game.

Although with Squares recent organizational changes, I am hoping that they go back to their roots.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

GURPS

Or a similar system.

I know Champions was built on the HERO system initially, but a lot of that got changed and rebuilt over time to the detriment of the original mechanics.

More people taking stabs at such an open ended system is something I would enjoy seeing.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Deivos

GURPS

Or a similar system.

I know Champions was built on the HERO system initially, but a lot of that got changed and rebuilt over time to the detriment of the original mechanics.

More people taking stabs at such an open ended system is something I would enjoy seeing.

100% Agree.  GURPS is the best RPG system ever created in my opinion.  Once I discovered it, I never used anything else.  It's actually limitless.

What is GURPS? And how would that work as an MMORPG?
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Wakygreek

Something like General Universal Role Playing System. It's a system you could apply to nearly any type of role playing you wanted to do. It provides the framework while the players provide the scenario, characters, settings, etc. I think there were modules written for it.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Wakygreek

GURPS is a skill based pen and paper RPG.  No levels.  No classes.  You get a certain amount of points to build a character with and you put those into Attributes, Skills, Feats and other stats.  Then, as you play the game and accomplish goals, you are rewarded with additional build points which you can use right away or save for big upgrades to your character.

Due to the fact that the game has, literally, thousands of skills, it can be tailored for any setting and any time period.

You can throw away every other pen and paper book you have and replace them all with the two GURPS books.  That's how comprehensive they are.

It's the holy grail of MMO's for me.  I've been waiting for a GURPS based MMO since they started making them, but for some strange reason everyone is stuck on the 1970's Gary Gygax awful crap of Classes and Levels which limit every aspect of character development.  In modern MMO's you don't play a character, you play a carbon copy class that hundreds/thousands of other people are playing.

A GURPS MMO would open this system up and allow player to make what they want to play instead of what they are limited to playing.

Well that would make things interesting for sure, I wonder if maybe the fact that it has limitless combinations is also its limitation when applied to the current market.
  • DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

GURPS stands for Generic Universal Roleplaying System

It is an older RPG system made by Steve Jackson that was built as a highly detailed and highly flexible framework to define a large variety of potential game worlds and mechanics. If you were to characterize it in shorthand you might call it the Scribblenauts, Spore, or Lego of RPG's, being able to plot out a pretty psychotic level of variety within the system based mostly just on how much imagination and time you have.

The main thing is that it breaks characters down into a long list of potential features that gives the player a high level of finesse in defining just what they are, and that ultimately feeds backwards into making a more clear set of kills they player can achieve in.

It's not the only PnP ruleset of it's kind, it just happens to be the one I was introduced to originally and am consequently most familiar with.

As for implementation, I'd point to Champions Online partially, even though I'd call that game a bit of a train wreck in regards to the implementation.

Ultimately it's breaking the game's mechanics into all the basic components and keeping them as independent blocks. Everything you can do in the game is in turn built on these basic blocks of game mechanics.

The simplest example would be to reference combat. Say you wanted to make a kung fu dude ho had some mystic ability to make fire come out of his hands. without there being a class or premade abilities for this in a game would mean it's impossible for most systems. In GURPS that's not the case.

You start with the basic elements. Kung fu is a rather open ended concept containing many martial art types, but we can take it at a basic level to he a hand to hand martial art. Consequently that's where we start, hand to hand combat animations.

So we take those animations and couple that with some 'bricks' of game mechanics. Melee short range, has some knockdown, hold/grappling, and disorienting effects.

Then you add the fire. This might be done in a couple ways. You could just add an elemental fire damage type to the attack, or you can treat it as a separate effect you build to affect your other abilities, like a buff or a stance.

Point is that your character, and the game itself, is broken down into it's basic parts rather than being offered forth in pre-canned packages.

Each component you add in has it's own cost, and that counts towards a total budget limit you have as you progress. The balance ultimately comes from that.

This isn't a foreign concept to virtual gaming. It's been attempted in Champions Online, though they paired it back at the end of alpha and through beta due to people's confusion over how to handle it.

Another example of a virtual game with such mechanics giverning it's skills is Saga of Ryzom. That game gave you the ability to break down learned abilities into the components that makes them, and alter or make entirely new abilities out of those components.

So the potential for a game like GURPS is entirely there, it's just that it's a relatively different approach to the design of a game at a basic level, and tends to introduce a level of complexity that's often intimidating.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

I know many of you folks won't dig the idea, but I'd really like to see a properly done, open world...

Diablo MMO.

Yeah, I know, I know, Diablo is all about hack and slash and loot, but I feel any adaptation turns out better if it makes its own decisions and strays a bit from the source material. So my World of Diablo (haha) would be far from the clickfest many know and love. Having a main storyline would be OK (I'd even prefer it that way), but it'd not be a tunnel-run affair, and provide ample other stuff on the side as well. Also, good artwork and solid atmosphere mandatory!

Well, I guess I just like the idea of exotic dark realms as MMO worlds. :)

Other and probably less controversial MMO adaptions I'd like to see:

• Baldur's Gate (or Forgotten Realms online, done as old school RPG - we need to see this sometime!)
    • Planescape: Torment (yeah, pretty much no chance now)
    • Deus Ex (Hey, why not?)
    • Betrayal at Krondor (would the suits even recognize the name?)