Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World 50% Off

The Secret World is half off at http://store.origin.com/store/ea/en_US/DisplayProductDetailsPage/productID.245138900

I personally have been waiting for this to happen, because i really have been wanting to try the game. Can someone tell me how PvP in this game is? Thats really my main thing i like doing. Besides getting in a guild and having some fun. Anyway i hope this link helps a few more people purchase the game. Please let me know what you guys think, and if i should buy it.

Comments

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921

Its a flawed gem, the PvP isnt the best, its not the worst but not the best.

The really great part in my opinion are the puzzles and atmospherics, that is where the game really shines.  If you like lore, puzzles and having to do some thinking and googling (for clues not for spoilers as that ruins the game) then go for it.

For that price with no sub required its too good to pass up.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163

I think the consensus on TSW PvP is that "it needs work."   That said, there is a pretty loyal following and people do get in and mix it up.  Here's a bit of an intro:

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=60445

Recent updates to PvP include:

• Battlegroups formed based on faction population to improve match balance
    • Queue system for Fusang, Stonehenge and El Dorado
    • Underdog boosts and rewards
    • PvP XP and matchmaking
    • PvP uniform rewards
    In the works is a flagged and timed open-world PvP event system where factions compete for relics within the zones.  

Here's the article that best summarizes why I like the game:

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Thanks for the link, I just bought it.
  • OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874
    Do I need origin to play the game? 
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

The PvP isn't really that great.  Combat as a whole isn't that great, actually.  As much as I'd like to think Funcom will do something to speed it up and make the various skills more useful (right now, most are either situational at best, or complete downgrades to other skills), I can't see it happening.

There are a few really good reasons to buy TSW, even at full price (story and atmosphere, mainly).  PvP is not one of them.

You make me like charity

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by Otakun

No, it's just a good deal on the price.  Once you get the key, you can download it directly from the TSW site.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Ortwig
    Originally posted by Otakun

No, it's just a good deal on the price.  Once you get the key, you can download it directly from the TSW site.

Well that's a relief...

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Just recently got the game and so far I like it alot. Templar Shotgunner ftw
  • Mamba2Mamba2 Member Posts: 11
    Well only $29.99 direct from Funcom so $24 is not really half price!
  • ZoltonZolton Member UncommonPosts: 4

Says $14.99 to me.  Try clicking OP's link again.

I almost bought this.  Had all my CC info typed in and then said F-U EA and closed the window.

I want this game badly, but I can't get myself to purchase through EA.  My loss.

• Mamba2Mamba2 Member Posts: 11
    Still $24.99 when I look. Maybe the old "charge Australians more" ripp-off that we've just had a Senate enquiry about.
  • PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    For 15 bucks you'll get your moneys worth, and really a kid in 4th grade can come up with that plus a monthly sub. 
  • Riss1234Riss1234 Member Posts: 11
    IAhhahaha for real? it's a good deal then... ^_^ thanks for the information
  • BoreasBoreas Member Posts: 24

If you are really only looking for PvP, I do not recommend The Secret World. Recently, there were some improvements to PvP content, but it really is not the focus of the game.

On the other hand, if an engaging story, missions involving puzzles and research, tremendous build and specialization flexibility, challenging cooperative content, and extensive cosmetic customization appeal to you, I do recommend TSW.

TSW has its flaws, but there is a lot of fun to be had. Most of that fun does not involve PvP, though.

• rommellorommello Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 185
    ahaha.....still no as ive seen enuf of the game to make my opinion of saying no

hallo ~_~

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    heh I wonder if this is sometihng to do with EA cancelling it's EA partners program and trying to dump keys and still make money 8P
  • ScubaSteve34ScubaSteve34 Member Posts: 18
    Thanks for all your great information. I did end up purchasing, and im trying to decide which server will be the most populated. I know TSW has a method of switching you around, but its nice to be able to run around and see your game world actually populated. It also makes grouping easier, for me atleast, because i like to find people in the world doing the same stuff and begin a dialogue and usually start questing.
  • PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    argh.... i really want to buy but a: i don't want to support EA at all, and b: i just started playing Vanguard. i played during beta and loved it inspite of tons of bugs. i can't imagine how much i'll love it without them. how's the f2p though?