Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670
    Originally posted by fantasyfreak112
    [mod edit]

To be fair, there are a lot of people from FFXI (me included) who like ARR, a lot.   

I think the better way to put your senitment is as follows: "If you want the same game mechanics, or gameplay philosophy as FFXI, then FFXIV:ARR is not for you."

It is nothing like FFXI other than having the same races.

It has similarities to GW2 and Wow, but I do not feel in the slightest that it's a clone.  It adopts certain things (Wow UI) and content (GW Dynaic Events as "FATES") but there are also many fundamental differences.

I think it's a solid AAA mmorpg that will please a lot of fans.  It will also not be the greatest game for everyone.

BTW, GW2 doesn't have end game raiding nor party defined roles.  That's a big difference.  That's the reason I'm not playing GW2 right now, even though I loved GW2 leveling experience and thought it was a great game for the 3 months I played.

• Snowdon_CloudripperSnowdon_Cloudripper Member CommonPosts: 584
    All made good point. If you are not in Beta Phase 4 is open beta and you will LOVE it ! 

http://absoluteretribution.enjin.com/ Guild Website and Recruitment link

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    Open beta?! That's great news! When might this be happening?
  • stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    I think this game will do well. For those that thought the GW2 world was impressive... just wait. 

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

Originally posted by Margrave

I would guess in June or late May

• RalstlinRalstlin Member UncommonPosts: 234
    Originally posted by Margrave

Phase 4

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I just read ALL of those - and let me tell you - it really renews my interest and excitement for this game.

Because in the end, I really like the more "standard" MMO formula of quests and instances and raids and trinity combat with tab target and hotbars etc.

I've been looking for a WoW replacement for years and years.

I love the Final Fantasy IP, and the graphics of this game + feature list and some of the more unique bits like the Job/Armoury system and crafting/gathering classes etc. really make me HOPE that SE really got it right with 2.0.

All of these reviews were honest, highlighting the areas that were great and the areas that were standard fair, and really spelling out how imporved the game is.

I never played 1.0 due to all the bad press and negative hype, but what really intrigues me most about these reviews is that in all of them they mention or allude to that this game just has some kind of... feeling... a magic to it that just feels right and is a joy to play.

Oh and I like that in a world of F2P and B2P they are sticking with a P2P subscription model (at least for now.)

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

I don't like the idea of developers being able to call a mulligan on a released product and get a second chance but if SE gives free copies to everyone who owns a existing copy, 30 days of free play time, and at least some sort of extras to Collectors Editions owners they are at least trying to do the right thing by thier customers.

The right thing however would have been to never release this game in the first place until it was ready to go out.  There was no way they didn't know this game was launching with significant issues but they did it anyways and it's hard to really forgive that because it's a unexcusable thing for a company that is suppose to care about their reputation to do.

Originally posted by udon

I don't like the idea of developers being able to call a mulligan on a released product and get a second chance but if SE gives free copies to everyone who owns a existing copy, 30 days of free play time, and at least some sort of extras to Collectors Editions owners they are at least trying to do the right thing by thier customers.

The right thing however would have been to never release this game in the first place until it was ready to go out.  There was no way they didn't know this game was launching with significant issues but they did it anyways and it's hard to really forgive that because it's a unexcusable thing for a company that is suppose to care about their reputation to do.

But they do care about there rep. if they did not why remake the game. Because Final Fantasy is the foundation of modern RPGs and MMOs . From 1987 to 2013 to beyond. SE is giving out free copies of ARR to people who own 1.0 . SE is giving 30 days free ( open beta 4 ) SE is going to give a item or more to people who bought V1 CE. I think it takes great humility to redo something when you could have done the easy thing and tuck tail and hide . Give SE credit this is a first for video games to remake a product . I doubt Blizzard would ever do such a thing or Bethesda 

• tats27tats27 Member UncommonPosts: 95

Thanks for posting, enjoyed reading them all.

I'm still going to hold out and hope there is a decent amount of group content mid-late game.

• LerunesLerunes Member Posts: 4

good post

Originally posted by tats27

I'm still going to hold out and hope there is a decent amount of group content mid-late game.

Sounds like doing Guild Leves in a group thoughout the leveling process is both extremely rewarding and available at all level ranges.

• KurushKurush Member Posts: 1,303

Great finds.

I think I'm in, at least for launch.  Dunno how long I'll stay, but they've converted at least one player who stayed away from the original launch.

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Originally posted by BadSpock

I just read ALL of those - and let me tell you - it really renews my interest and excitement for this game.

Because in the end, I really like the more "standard" MMO formula of quests and instances and raids and trinity combat with tab target and hotbars etc.

I love the Final Fantasy IP, and the graphics of this game + feature list and some of the more unique bits like the Job/Armoury system and crafting/gathering classes etc. really make me HOPE that SE really got it right with 2.0.

All of these reviews were honest, highlighting the areas that were great and the areas that were standard fair, and really spelling out how imporved the game is.

I never played 1.0 due to all the bad press and negative hype, but what really intrigues me most about these reviews is that in all of them they mention or allude to that this game just has some kind of... feeling... a magic to it that just feels right and is a joy to play.

Hey badspock I have been away from the site for awhile, but please refresh my memory if I am wrong. Didn't you write a very long drawn out post proclaiming you were done with MMOs and this site? Just curious as to what happened to that? It seems your back at it.

• spadge3k00spadge3k00 Member Posts: 56
    been said allready but great job posting, was interesting read, im game.
  • MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    Originally posted by tats27

Thanks for posting, enjoyed reading them all.

Confirmed group content so far (aside from leveling dungeons, FATE, and guildhest *group repeatables*) the following group content has been confirmed:

Primal fights: Ifrit, Garuda (were in 1.x but are being redesigned), Titan was confirmed in recent live letter, and they just posted Ramuh and Leviathan on the website so it is possible those will make launch too (not pictured on website is Shiva who we have seen the concept for)

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/world/threats/primals

Dungeons like Cutter's Cry, Aurum Vale, Dzaemel Darkhold from 1.0 will be there (but redesigned) also possibly more, not sure how many of the 14-16 dungeons slated for launch are late game.

24 person raids: Crystal Tower, and Labyrinth of Bahamut

Also beastman strongholds are making a return and will have various FATEs within them.

So it is supposed to be a decent amount even if you did play through 1.x.

Read these links. For a non biased review of how beta is going

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

Yup those reviews are biased.  They either played 1.0 or are fans of FF.  If you fall into one of those groups I guess you can make use of those reviews.

If you just have a causal interest in the game and can't as easily overlook it flaws then those reviews are pretty worthless.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by BadSpock

I feel you on this because I too have found I like the more traditional mmo formula.