Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are some major changes that have taken place since the new expansion?

Calintz333Calintz333 Member UncommonPosts: 1,193

Hey guys, Ill keep it short and sweet. 

I am a veteran player, played this game 2002-2007 then again for most of the year 2011. I am familiar with the game was until right around early 2012. The last thing I remember is finishing up my AF3+2 (I think it was) on my Dragoon (my only main job). I wanted to know what major changes happend to the game during this last expansion "Seekers of Adoulin" and if these changes significantly change the way the game is played? 

Also I am curious.

What is the "New" end game content ? 

What classes are the "gimp classes" right now for most end game content? <-- I know this changes about as frequently as Taylor Swift changes boyfriends. 

What are the "Flavor of the month" jobs? 

Thanks. 

Comments

• Calintz333Calintz333 Member UncommonPosts: 1,193

Since no one bothered to answer I will reply to my own thread  based on my in game experience thus far so that future individuals who are wondering know.

- Absolutely nothing major or essential has changed with the exception of the two new jobs. You can basically come back, avoid the expansion as of right now (4/24/13) and miss nothing but the two new jobs. I'm sure in 3-4 months there will be a lot more content and at that point there might actually be some "major" changes in the game. 

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519

I really wanted to play this game again and was very close to doing so but I found that too many classes are still poorly balanced. Have they made any major balance changes in the past few months?

A few months ago Samurai and Dragoon were completely useless because of dark knights. Summoners and puppeteers were uselss thanks to black mage. Pretty much half the jobs in this game were completely pointless thanks to their counterparts being clearly better. I know it's easy to level another job but what if I want to play a samurai or w/e. Well too bad your chance of finding a group is almost zero unless some friends throw you a bone.

Anyone know if this changed recently?

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048
    Originally posted by JimmyYO

I really wanted to play this game again and was very close to doing so but I found that too many classes are still poorly balanced. Have they made any major balance changes in the past few months?

A few months ago Samurai and Dragoon were completely useless because of dark knights. Summoners and puppeteers were uselss thanks to black mage. Pretty much half the jobs in this game were completely pointless thanks to their counterparts being clearly better. I know it's easy to level another job but what if I want to play a samurai or w/e. Well too bad your chance of finding a group is almost zero unless some friends throw you a bone.

It's very true that if you lvl only 1 job you won't be able to do every type of content effectively with others moreso with some jobs compared to others. That said you can still do a lot of content but know that if you refuse to level multiple jobs you will just become a burden on those who help you or you help.

Take samurai or dragoon for instance. You can participate in ADL, voidwatch, neo nyzule, meebles, and reives no problem. But anything in abyssea you will not be contributing much. Also neo salvage and legion would be better served with other jobs but you could manage with those as long as your group picked up the slack. Old content/small groups could have issues too if you pidgeon hole yourself depending on what you're doing and who you're doing it with.

That said I have completed 99% of current endgame content primarily using 2 jobs. Samurai and ninja, I have many other jobs lvled and geared but almost all the time I end up going samurai and ninja except  the few times I've done legion I guess.

I guess the next question is what were your circumstances?

Just because you've done it doesn't mean even half of newer players can do it. Did you have a linkshell full of RL friends or long time players? I remember it being borderline impossible to get endgame stuff done as a samurai unless others took you in as a burden....aka friends. All my RL and virtual friends play WoW so I'm boned for a long while unless I play a class deemed "useful" which is only about half of them if I remember correctly.

I guess the next question is what were your circumstances?

Just because you've done it doesn't mean even half of newer players can do it. Did you have a linkshell full of RL friends or long time players? I remember it being borderline impossible to get endgame stuff done as a samurai unless others took you in as a burden....aka friends. All my RL and virtual friends play WoW so I'm boned for a long while unless I play a class deemed "useful" which is only about half of them if I remember correctly.

It just worked out with the people I played with and the jobs they prefered to play. Also, I and others in my small group have whm mules which helps considerably for those times when you can't get help. For abyssea stuff I was really stuck on ninja, in abyssea ninja is way overpowered and with correct gear and skill can have all but 1 red proc available.

For Voidwatch I just joined shout groups like pretty much everyone else. When someone would shout for something I wanted I would say "have room for nin or sam?". Neo nyzule, meebles, ADL, neo salvage were all samurai though 100%. With reives I switch it up though between the two and my other jobs I have.

That was true most of the time though. I also have many other jobs lvled to 99 and geared well to amazing. My pld, rng, and bst are geared just as well or better than my ninja and samurai I just don't get to use them often. My drk, thf, and war are geared well and can be used but not to the lvl people expect for serious endgame stuff.

With all that said a buddy in my group has done all the content I have done with just war and his crappy thf. He was war 99% of the time unless we needed TH for something but most of my small group of friends all had thief and one of those was a thf main.

edit: fyi when I did the bulk of that content my pld, rng, drk and bst were not lvled or geard at all. My first jobs to 99 were nin, sam, thf in that order and my thf is still nothing impressive just a TH tagger.

Alright maybe if I can find a decent LS i'll give this game another shot.

Thanks for the info.

It's worth a shot. I will tell you that certain jobs do have it easier then others but no one job is ideal for every type of content. You can easily get away with finding a handful of jobs you like and stick with those. Some people expect you to have every job to 99 but most people do not.

I for one have been of the mindset that I will not level a job I do not enjoy. The only time I leveled a job I didn't particularly like was on my mule I lvled whm and sch. That was just to make my own life easier and allows me to do a lot of things on my own or with 1 or 2 other people.

Realize though that if you pick a popular dd job, the greatness of your equipment is very scrutinized and to participate in end game content many expect you to meet a certain level of elitness. On the other hand, nobody really cares about the whm, smn, sch or other support jobs equipment as long as they can get the job done. 

btw what job(s) were you looking to use?

Wanted to go samurai but didn't want to sit LFG forever once I got to endgame stuff so not sure really

As samurai being my main job I can personally attest to how widely it is used. Sadly as much as I love samurai it serves almost no real purpose for abyssea content. Luckily for you it is great for pretty much all other endgame content short of legion really. My ls only used premeire geared drks and wars for legion for the short period I actually participated. It is also one of the cheaper jobs to gear well, short of the curesed -1 gear that 99% of the people don't have, myself included.

Samurai is great for neo nyzul, neo salvage, neo limbus, can be used for odin v2 if you have bow, great for voidwatch, and reives.

• DfixDfix Member UncommonPosts: 238

I can honestly say I have never had any of these problems and I have played this game since November of 2005. All I can say is if you are in a good shell you will likely be able to play what you want. If you're not in a good shell get a new shell. 

As far as the SAM and DRG comment goes, I go DRG or MNK to pretty much everything and my DRK is level 30. Yes DRK does have the current best WS in the game (Resolution) but Ukon WARs and Masa SAMs can easily keep up. I parse pretty much every event on my mule account and I can say there is never a night where the 99 Rag DRK in my LS dominates parse. It's always between the DRG, DRK, WAR, SAM, and even sometimes myself on MNK but not often.

As for SMN and PUP they are vastly different than a BLM and not even used for the same purpose in game. SMN and PUP falls into the solo/pet category with BST and BLM falls into the nuker/cc category so the uses are vastly different. You will also get some decent endgame content on SMN seeing they are used for Perfect Defense zerging (even after the PD nerf). As long as you can get your smn magic capped (base417) then you should be able to get a spot in any endgame shell given you have good gear.

The best advice I can give you as far as FFXI goes is ignore the haters and the people that tell you a job is not good for whatever reason. 9/10 they either don't have it leveled, are a complete gimp or know a complete gimp with it leveled. Especially when it comes to DRG and PUP they are gimp magnet jobs for some reason.

Hope this helps!

Vivik-Cerberus

Let me preface with by saying I agree with some of what you're saying dfix. I just have a few comments/questions.

Though I realize you could just change linkshells and go what job you want there will still be issues.

Let's just say for arguments sake you have 1 of the less sought after jobs as your only 99 say redmage. Love using that example since they used to be so useful back in the day.

Now lets use the main events done in endgame. Abyssea, Voidwatch, Neo nyzule, neo salvage, reives, legion, meebles.

Out of all of those reives would really be the only thing anyone would ask you to come as redmage and that's really because it's just a mass of strangers running from one to the next so what does it really matter?

For abyssea anything a rdm could do a whm or blm would do better, Same for voidwatch, Neo nyzul would need sch instead to win or you're being carried like a leach, maybe neo salvage if your group is really friendly and isn't concerned with efficiency over fun. I could see using one in meebles but again a whm or sch would probably serve your group better.

You say just ignore the haters. I say don't ignore the realists, some scenarios call for different jobs than others to perfrom optimally that's not being a hater. Other scenarios call of an almost perfect setup and no margin of error for completion and that also is not being a hater that's being honest.

now as far as the drk, war, sam, drg, mnk thing goes I agree with you 100%. I've outparsed drks with rag and ukon wars on my masa sam and I've been outparsed by drgs and mnks occasionaly as well. People put too much emphasis on what has the highest mathematical potential in ffxi and not the fact that all those dds can and do put out some great damage.

• DfixDfix Member UncommonPosts: 238
    All I can say to that is "Don't level RDM" because all of what you said is completly true. RDM in it's current state sucks ass and if it's all the person has leveled they deserve to be ignored. 

Vivik-Cerberus
    Lol so very true I guess RDM was an extreme example.
  • nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    SE's first full expansion in several years and all it has to offer is two new jobs?  No new story at all?  Seems rather exaggerated.  I personally haven't played it in a long time, nor do I care to, but it seems highly unlikely they'd release a new expansion without any story content.
    Originally posted by nbtscan
    SE's first full expansion in several years and all it has to offer is two new jobs?  No new story at all?  Seems rather exaggerated.  I personally haven't played it in a long time, nor do I care to, but it seems highly unlikely they'd release a new expansion without any story content.

It's the first expansion since ToAU that actually has brand new areas and monsters. Not just rehashed areas and monsters with different colors. Plus it has an entirely new storyline, but they aren't releasing it all at once similar to how they did WoTG but I hope more frequent.

Oh and they have entirely new battle types in the form of reives and with a few of the reives resembling HNMs. They also have things called skirmishes but I have yet to participate in that so can't tell you anything you can't just read. I'm guessing you haven't played it and really didn't do much reading at all.