Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this game an actual MMO?

SupportPlayerMMSupportPlayerMM Member Posts: 310
Or is it a co-op dungeon crawler like Dragons Nest, Continent of the 9th Seal, Vindictus type game?

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by SupportPlayerMM
    Or is it a co-op dungeon crawler like Dragons Nest, Continent of the 9th Seal, Vindictus type game?

its a MMO.. it is heavily instanced but many open areas where you will see others questing around.. it's definitely not a lobby game like Vindictous

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

It's way more of a MMO than any of those games you listed or many others more of the lobby variation.  It has everything needed to define it as a MMORPG.

• RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451

Its somewhere between an open-world MMO like WoW that has instances VS something like Dragon Nest that is almost entirely instances.  Neverwinter is kinda in the middle, along with games like Guild Wars.

As to whether its an MMO, everyone has their own definition of that, but its as much an MMO as most games listed on this website at least and much more than some others.

• SupportPlayerMMSupportPlayerMM Member Posts: 310
    Does it have any decent PvP or reason to PvP?
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Does it have any decent PvP or reason to PvP?

PVP is ok if you like arena type stuff.. combat is fun enough.. the endgame PVP zone gauntlgrym is supposed to have a lot to it but never played it so can't comment on that

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451

It has the standard battleground type PvP like pretty much every other game.  Whether you like it or not depends on if you like the combat style, which is similar to TERA but a bit faster paced.

There is supposed to be some big end-game PvP Gyrlthalia zone (I have no idea how to spell it) but no one knows anything about it yet.

You can PvP from a fairly early level, best thing to do is just wait for the 30th, download the game and play for free, see if you like it.  That's the one (and only) good thing about F2P, no harm in trying it out.

• SupportPlayerMMSupportPlayerMM Member Posts: 310
    I may want to give this game a go... combat seemed polished for a F2P and due to Darkfall having horrible servers/optimization while I'm in Alaska on worse networks for a few months I need a stronger server. Hopefully the PvE will be fun as I don't want to queue arenas all day.
  • akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615

Its more like Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by akiira69

Its more like Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2

Not really.... I think DDO comes closer with its world design.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• LateBrake1LateBrake1 Member Posts: 54

It's like GW2 only better designed and better combat IMO.

In this game you dont PvE & PvP for fun as in GW2. You actually get better gear to use in both PvE & PvP.

Some points of the game:

1. Excellent combat with an amazing feelng of 'weight' to it.

View one of the many live streams and make your own judgement: http://twitch.tv/archonthewizard Personally this is the best combat I've ever felt in an MMO. GW2 was a slightly prettier world but this is better combat than GW2 or Tera IMO.

2. Built in voice chat

3. Smooth, very smooth gameplay

4. PvP (Arena style, nothing amazing) but supposedly a 20v20 @ level 60 where you fight over access to a PvE dungeon.

5. Pretty heavily instanced, some big maps but you dont necessarily walk there as in WoW you port to the zone but again some zones are big.

6. Completely free to play. They charge for vanity items, mounts ect, although anything you can buy on the store you can also get in game money to buy it.

7. Just plain fun(likely due to combat). I think this will kind of come out of nowhere to suprise a lot of MMO'ers.

8. No game is perfect and it does have it's faults but they are definitely going in the right direction and for a free to play MMO of this quality it's unheard of.

• fldashfldash Member UncommonPosts: 227

Watching the stream, it seems way easy... I hate easy games...

Originally posted by LateBrake1
    It's like GW2 only better designed and better combat IMO.In this game you dont PvE & PvP for fun as in GW2. You actually get better gear to use in both PvE & PvP.Some points of the game:1. Excellent combat with an amazing feelng of 'weight' to it.View one of the many live streams and make your own judgement: http://twitch.tv/archonthewizard Personally this is the best combat I've ever felt in an MMO. GW2 was a slightly prettier world but this is better combat than GW2 or Tera IMO.2. Built in voice chat3. Smooth, very smooth gameplay4. PvP (Arena style, nothing amazing) but supposedly a 20v20 @ level 60 where you fight over access to a PvE dungeon.5. Pretty heavily instanced, some big maps but you dont necessarily walk there as in WoW you port to the zone but again some zones are big.6. Completely free to play. They charge for vanity items, mounts ect, although anything you can buy on the store you can also get in game money to buy it.7. Just plain fun(likely due to combat). I think this will kind of come out of nowhere to suprise a lot of MMO'ers.8. No game is perfect and it does have it's faults but they are definitely going in the right direction and for a free to play MMO of this quality it's unheard of.      

Former xFire user... I only wanted a game tracker and messenger, not a screenshot taker, video recording, broadcasting piece of bloatware.

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882
    Originally posted by fldash

Originally posted by LateBrake1
    It's like GW2 only better designed and better combat IMO.

In this game you dont PvE & PvP for fun as in GW2. You actually get better gear to use in both PvE & PvP.

Some points of the game:

1. Excellent combat with an amazing feelng of 'weight' to it.

View one of the many live streams and make your own judgement: http://twitch.tv/archonthewizard Personally this is the best combat I've ever felt in an MMO. GW2 was a slightly prettier world but this is better combat than GW2 or Tera IMO.

2. Built in voice chat

3. Smooth, very smooth gameplay

4. PvP (Arena style, nothing amazing) but supposedly a 20v20 @ level 60 where you fight over access to a PvE dungeon.

5. Pretty heavily instanced, some big maps but you dont necessarily walk there as in WoW you port to the zone but again some zones are big.

6. Completely free to play. They charge for vanity items, mounts ect, although anything you can buy on the store you can also get in game money to buy it.

7. Just plain fun(likely due to combat). I think this will kind of come out of nowhere to suprise a lot of MMO'ers.

8. No game is perfect and it does have it's faults but they are definitely going in the right direction and for a free to play MMO of this quality it's unheard of.

Hit max lvl 60 and watch lv 56 will still wreck your butt if not careful lol.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    This is Cryptic we are talking about here.... technically an MMO, yes... but shallow, linear, simple, heavily instanced, and with a cash shop (and lock-bax gambling on the way), thus, a "Cryptic MMO". A better question is it a "good" MMO. At least Cryptic is not so stupid to think they could charge a sub for it (this time).
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

I wouldn't compare it to GW2.  The (overworld) terrain and landscapes don't seem nearly as well thought out, but the dungeons are way easier to get into and enjoy.  The dungeons are the game's strong point by far, and I agree with the above poster about the combat.  Definitely better than a lot of the action combat games that have come out lately.

GW1 might be a better comparison, but even then, I think too many people are thinking of Neverwinter as a lobby game, when the fact is that it just doesn't have massive, sprawling zones.  They're still quite large as far as I know.  Either way, I'm really anticipating the release of this game.

• ranncoreranncore Member Posts: 93

The "solo friendly" content is extremely easy, borderline monotonous - much too much so for my tastes. The Dungeon Delves and Skirmishes are where it's at. Even the low level introductory delves are pretty easy, but at about level 35, when you head into the Lair of the Mad Dragon, the game starts really heating up. 

For this game, even more so than many other MMOs, every level besides level cap is like a tutorial. It takes all of 3 days to hit level cap, then all the Epic Dungeons and Gauntlgrym, including the massive 20v20 PvP arena are available. By then, you'd better have figured it out. I'm expecting good times in the epic dungeons and level 60 PvP. 

But here's the kicker: if none of the official content is challenging enough for you, then make your own missions, and make them as challenging as you want them to be. 

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989

It's essentially a hybrid of both.

That would be like calling WoW, EQ2, LOTRO, AoC etc hybrids.

Neverwinter has open world zones, instanced dungeons (including the Foundry content) and instanced PvP. This is pretty much the same as most mainstream MMOs.

• ego13ego13 Member Posts: 267

MMO only means Massively Multiplayer Online....it, quite obviously, meets these standards.  Your petty demeaning comments aside.

But, yes, it obviously is an MMO...it's also an RPG...guess what that makes it!?  An MMORPG

Just because every car has similar features doesn't mean that Ferraris are copies of Model Ts. Progress requires failure and refining.

• CheestCheest Member Posts: 8
    I would like to try the game but when I read that it's and instance dungeon. I will say NO, it's not a type of a game that I like, I still prefer open world because it's more challenging and cool :)
    Originally posted by ranncore

The "solo friendly" content is extremely easy, borderline monotonous - much too much so for my tastes. The Dungeon Delves and Skirmishes are where it's at. Even the low level introductory delves are pretty easy, but at about level 35, when you head into the Lair of the Mad Dragon, the game starts really heating up. 

For this game, even more so than many other MMOs, every level besides level cap is like a tutorial. It takes all of 3 days to hit level cap, then all the Epic Dungeons and Gauntlgrym, including the massive 20v20 PvP arena are available. By then, you'd better have figured it out. I'm expecting good times in the epic dungeons and level 60 PvP. 

But here's the kicker: if none of the official content is challenging enough for you, then make your own missions, and make them as challenging as you want them to be. 

If you were watching people below level 30, then yes, it was easy. This ramps up at 40+, and it can be quite challenging to solo as some classes, with bosses and large groups providing a nice challenge.

Originally posted by Eir_S

I wouldn't compare it to GW2.  The (overworld) terrain and landscapes don't seem nearly as well thought out, but the dungeons are way easier to get into and enjoy.  The dungeons are the game's strong point by far, and I agree with the above poster about the combat.  Definitely better than a lot of the action combat games that have come out lately.

GW1 might be a better comparison, but even then, I think too many people are thinking of Neverwinter as a lobby game, when the fact is that it just doesn't have massive, sprawling zones.  They're still quite large as far as I know.  Either way, I'm really anticipating the release of this game.

The level 30+ zones are quite large. It starts off small and gets exponentially bigger. Pretty much what you would want from a MMO. The final maps are huge.

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    There are no MMOs
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by Eir_S

The level 30+ zones are quite large. It starts off small and gets exponentially bigger. Pretty much what you would want from a MMO. The final maps are huge.

Sweet, even better.  I think this game might be a sleeper hit.

• fldashfldash Member UncommonPosts: 227

Any comments on the difficulty of the content at > 30 being marginalized by being able to spam potions? That's what I hear. Potions are plentiful and can be spammed making the content a snoozefest.

Former xFire user... I only wanted a game tracker and messenger, not a screenshot taker, video recording, broadcasting piece of bloatware.

• ranncoreranncore Member Posts: 93
    Potions cannot be spammed, they go onto a lengthy cooldown when used in combat.