Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What RPG would you make into an MMORPG?

RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

Hey,

I was playing a couple of old classic RPG's on the SNES-PS1-PS2-PS3 and thought to myself which one of these would actually make a good MMORPG in todays modern market?

So let me ask you this, which RPG from any system prior to the PS3/Xbox360 do you guys think would make an awesome MMORPG. Please include a few suggestions as to what the world would be like etc.

I would like to see The Witcher made into an MMORPG. I think there is plenty of lore to create a masterpiece if made correctly with a talented team. Offer faction combat by dividing the races between the Humans and Non-Humans. You could even throw some RVR into it and create a bunch of different classes.

P.S. You can use any RPG from the PC as well as long as it pre-dates the PS3/XBOX360.

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Not an actual mmo but more of a coop experience. Seiken Densetsu 3 (the sucessor to Secret of Mana). There are 6 characters to play with and each one has its very unique storyline. The game supossedly has 2 player coop (3 player coop with a mod patch). I would love to have a remake with more coop, maybe up to 10 player coop through each storyline. The exact same game just with more people coop. If someone tries to make it an mmo it will ruin it with the generic mechanics of an mmo. Coop is better

EDIT: also Suikoden, my favorite rpg forever. So many characters in that game it would make a great big scale coop through the story with friends. Not mmo.

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

I wonder since you liked the Secret of Mana playstyle how you would feel about Secret of Evermore. I never beat that game but I wonder how that would work out.

I think Suikoden has a great chance of becomming a good MMORPG too. I just finished Suikoden 2 and now am trying to find a copy of Suikoden 3. I beat them a long time ago but I always loved how they included so many characters.

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    Dragon Warrior!
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Wakygreek
    I wonder since you liked the Secret of Mana playstyle how you would feel about Secret of Evermore. I never beat that game but I wonder how that would work out.

it could work well too, but like i said, i prefer it to be coop with friends. All these great JRPGs would be ruined as an mmorpg with mmo questing, mob grind, gear grind, etc. Coop would still stay true to the game and story while be able to enjoy with a bunch of friends.

Same for Suikoden. Mmo mechanics would just ruin the rpg mechanics driven by the story. IMO. But i guess i would play it as mmo. But i prefer a coop :p

• tokinitokini Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Originally posted by rojo6934

Not an actual mmo but more of a coop experience. Seiken Densetsu 3 (the sucessor to Secret of Mana). There are 6 characters to play with and each one has its very unique storyline. The game supossedly has 2 player coop (3 player coop with a mod patch). I would love to have a remake with more coop, maybe up to 10 player coop through each storyline. The exact same game just with more people coop. If someone tries to make it an mmo it will ruin it with the generic mechanics of an mmo. Coop is better

EDIT: also Suikoden, my favorite rpg forever. So many characters in that game it would make a great big scale coop through the story with friends. Not mmo.

i was gonna say suikoden, the various schools of magic, the rune system, they could integrate the large scale battles in some way maybe.  probably wouldnt work lol

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

The world of Secret of Mana and/or Chrono Trigger would make for interesting mmos. For Secret of Mana, you could set it during the time of the War of Mana 15 years prior to the SNES version. Multiple weapons and magic skills that you would have to level up, like in the SNES version.

Chrono Trigger itself would be a hell of an accomplishment in a mmo space. You would have to have the time travel element present, so you're making a world for Pre-Historic, Kingdom of Zeal, Dark Ages, "Present Age", and then the Future. Not to mention you could probably make an "End of Time" zone that could be like a personal housing instance of sorts. Along with all of the ages, you'd have to create appropriate creatures and content for the time period. You could even go as far as adding a "new game+" feature in place of a leveling system. Where completing certain tasks, achievements, story elements, etc would then allow you to unlock a new tier of powers for your character. At that point you could choose to continue your original character, or perhaps make a new character with the stats you've unlocked, but perhaps with new race/class options after completing certain time period tasks. Then you could play as Tribal People, Magic Race of Zeal, Robot, Modern Human, and possibly even add some monster races.

• Yyrkoon_PoMYyrkoon_PoM Member Posts: 150
    Darklands could make for a fun MMORPG.
  • EpicentEpicent Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Originally posted by tokini
    Originally posted by rojo6934

i was gonna say suikoden, the various schools of magic, the rune system, they could integrate the large scale battles in some way maybe.  probably wouldnt work lol

Was also going to say Suikoden. Especially parts one and two. <3 melts thinking about it.

• MetanolMetanol Member UncommonPosts: 248

I would certainly add my vote to Witcher too! As long as we don't let players become Witchers, but restrict them to playing regular humans and non-humans. Could also include sorcerers and sorceresses as playable classes, and would be awesome to have the different human factions at war (as they always seem to be in the lore [books + games] You know, Nilfgaardians used elves as suicide troops and all that, so you should also have mixed races in some factions.. now if we could also include a social ranking system!)

Then again my inner geek screams for a proper remake of Jagged Alliance and Neverwinter Nights, both which would work as MMOs with more or less work put into them...

Now I have decided what I would want most though.. Mount & Blade!

We?re all dead, just say it.

• BahamutKaiserBahamutKaiser Member UncommonPosts: 314
    I add one more interest for Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross, the flexibility to have characters from any time, alternate dimensions, and settings in every genre allow them almost unlimited flexibility. It also allows for unique events to be repeatable within the canon of reality.

Everything from androids, dragons, demi humans, magicians to snipers can all fit within playable characters, and there is no limit to real estate, sequence of events, or identity of a character even.

Chrono Trigger/Cross is near limitless.

My concern is that most classic games have a different gameplay feel that is abandon in typical MMOs. FF was a big example of how much a series can abandon in order to adapt to MMO gameplay. Whatever the franchise is, I hope they learn to respect the source material of a title and make a game which keeps some of the fundamental feel of its inspiration, not just lift a popular theme and paste it over typical MMO gameplay like FFXI and XIV.

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, if they get angry, they'll be a mile away... and barefoot.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Well since you asked:

• Super Hydlide -hardcore encumbrance mechanics
    • Shining in the Darkness -awesome dungeons to explore
    • Lunar: Silver Star Story -love the characters and classes
    • Shadowrun -nice fantasy tech atmosphere
    • Vay -giant mechs
    • Earthbound -awesome modern setting with alien invasion story.
    • Growlanser -tons of lore and classes
    • Shining Force -cool races
    • The Magic of Scherherazade -deep systems and class changing abilities

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• LienhartLienhart Member UncommonPosts: 662

There is only one true answer to this:

Pokemon.

I have no clue how they would do it, but the base game already covers PvE and PvP really well (catch 'em all and be the best).

I live to go faster...or die trying.
  • EverwestEverwest Member Posts: 75
    FFT or Earthbound
  • VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963
    non since that is allways bad ,like making games from movies.
  • chakalakachakalaka Member UncommonPosts: 291
    So awesome to see so many Suikoden fans, especially of the first and second games. I wonder how well a Tales MMO would do>? Similar combat mechanics along side story driven coop experience or the full MMO experience. They already have an amazing cooking/discovery mode for crafting and what not. I like this post btw OP, CHEERS!
  • MetanolMetanol Member UncommonPosts: 248
    Originally posted by Vidir

What's with this? The most financially successful MMO was made after/based on RTS games with RPG elements? Yes, we all know the elephant in the room, the one I'm bringing up by name now; WoW.

Then I would even say that my favourite MMO bases itself around a pen and paper RPG.

You are right about the movie part though... can't think of a single game made after a movie which would've been good. As in, based on a movie. I think we all saw how badly they butchered Aliens:CM?

We?re all dead, just say it.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Originally posted by Metanol
    Originally posted by Vidir

What's with this? The most financially successful MMO was made after/based on RTS games with RPG elements? Yes, we all know the elephant in the room, the one I'm bringing up by name now; WoW.

Then I would even say that my favourite MMO bases itself around a pen and paper RPG.

You are right about the movie part though... can't think of a single game made after a movie which would've been good. As in, based on a movie. I think we all saw how badly they butchered Aliens:CM?

goldeneye

xwing / tie fighter

but yeah i get your point

works the other way too, all movies based on games suck

• MortoriousMortorious Member UncommonPosts: 166

1.Fable: The Lost Chapters

2.Might and Magic

Currently playing: Elder Scrolls Online
    MMORPG experiences:EQ2, AoC(pre f2p), Lotro,GW1,DDO, Aion,WoW( stop with wotlk),Allods, GW2
    Eu,War, Secret World

Waiting On: WoD Sometime Maybe: Elder Scrolls MMO, Might and Magic

• pacovpacov Member Posts: 311
    Originally posted by Lienhart

Pokemon.

I have no clue how they would do it, but the base game already covers PvE and PvP really well (catch 'em all and be the best).

Same. Full 3D world with first and second generation pokemons would be amazing :D It will never happen... Nintendo is happy with their DS shit... too bad

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

I'm really digging the lore in Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.  But I'm not sure that would carry me through an MMO on its own (combat's pretty fun too though).  Great SP game (I thought I'd never say that again lol).

...or Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom.

What?

• BahamutKaiserBahamutKaiser Member UncommonPosts: 314
    I overlooked Breath of Fire, I have no confidence that they'd make a good MMO out of it, but it has a cool theme and great character diversity.

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, if they get angry, they'll be a mile away... and barefoot.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Kingdom Under Fire

That game hit the spot for me. Just the right amount of RPG and RTS mixed in the same game coupled with a story that's actually interesting to follow.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by Lienhart

Pokemon.

They could do a 'create your own' pokemon - similar to spore - and just let people wonder around as pokemons.  The class abilities could be like those superhero mmos.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

Fallout

Syndicate

• jandrsnjandrsn Member Posts: 187
    Maybe we should stop shoehorning single player games into mmorpg's? Seeing as how they were designed to let one single person affect the entire world when in a mmo that'd be anathema. Dude, solitare is a totally popular game, let's make an mmo out of it to get monthly subs! Brilliant!