Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Camelot Unchained Kickstarter Progress Discussion

Comments

• UOloverUOlover Mullica Hill, NJPosts: 327Member Uncommon
    All we need is for them to come up with new tiers every day that people want more than the ones they already have
  • GinazGinaz Calgary, ABPosts: 1,731Member Uncommon

This is SO going to happen.  Only needs $78,000 a day.  Keep those postive waves rolling.image

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• TimothyTierlessTimothyTierless Columnist M, ORPosts: 2,163Member Uncommon

Anyone else got the energy back, got the feeling back, got the hope back? I see the backers going up, the $$$ coming in, were getting closer, faster. I'm feeling it, are you?

• meddyckmeddyck Athens, GAPosts: 1,140Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Tierless

Anyone else got the energy back, got the feeling back, got the hope back? I see the backers going up, the $$$ coming in, were getting closer, faster. I'm feeling it, are you?

The amount per day has certainly gone up. The backers is still not much different from what it's been since day 5. That indicates a lot of the new money is from previous backers increasing their pledges. At $30,000-45,000 a day it's still going to need one hell of a last day or two push to fund. I hope saving up the updates about the core gameplay until the very end works as well as Mark expects or this will need a miracle to fund.

Camelot Unchained Backer
    DAOC [retired]: R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R5 Healer

• JayarisJayaris InvercargillPosts: 308Member

The increase in cash is probably from the addition of the Mountain House Tier (I don't know the actual name).

And someone picked up the fourth Dragon Whale slot. 

I think the game will fund, though I hope there'll be more backers.

Hi

• CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Minneapolis, MNPosts: 532Member
    Originally posted by Jayaris

The increase in cash is probably from the addition of the Mountain House Tier (I don't know the actual name).

It wold be nice to see it fund, BUT, $100,000 a day for the next 6 days?? I fear it is unlikely. (sorry only $99K a day)

People talk of all the PayPal money waiting, but if it doesn't hit that  $2M goal real fast, then PayPal will never factor in at all.

• JayarisJayaris InvercargillPosts: 308Member
    Originally posted by CyclopsSlayer

It wold be nice to see it fund, BUT, $100,000 a day for the next 6 days?? I fear it is unlikely. (sorry only $99K a day)

People talk of all the PayPal money waiting, but if it doesn't hit that  $2M goal real fast, then PayPal will never factor in at all.

I don't really buy into that PayPal crap. I do expect there to be an influx of people backing on the last day though.

It maybe won't be as big a spike as I would like (probably won't hit any stretch goals), but I do think it will clear the two million mark. 

Hi

• anandaananda singaporePosts: 43Member Uncommon

Wow, I had been blindly trusting kicktraq's minichart number, but you are correct, if it is 6 days left and still $580k to go, then it needs closer to $100k per day instead of the reported $83k per day (which is the correct value if there are 7 days left). I wonder why the inaccuracy?

At this stage, I think it won't fund. People are talking about needing more backers at $25 level...but even if you get 10,000 new backers at that level, that's only $250k, nowhere near enough. And doubling the current amount of backers is insanely optimistic. I'm also really sceptical that asking current people to up their pledges would be enough to make up the difference, but I may be underestimating you guys.

Just come to my mind, can you pledge any amount, and then cancel near the closing date? Given the possibly paper thin margin if this game is to fund, I fear this would be very vulnerable to trolling. For example, someone could just pledge $20k now, then when the total is at $2,012,345 with 30 min remaining, he can just cancel.  Normally, the projects are either wildly successful so this behaviour does not matter, or is small enough that any one person can realistically make up the difference to bring it back up to 100%. But here, even 0.1% is $2,000, which is not something that you can easily come up with in a 30 minutes. Does kickstarter have any policy to protect against this kind of thing?

• EpicentEpicent Pierre Part, LAPosts: 647Member
    Unfortunately I dont see it happening.
    Originally posted by ananda

Wow, I had been blindly trusting kicktraq's minichart number, but you are correct, if it is 6 days left and still $580k to go, then it needs closer to $100k per day instead of the reported $83k per day (which is the correct value if there are 7 days left). I wonder why the inaccuracy?

At this stage, I think it won't fund. People are talking about needing more backers at $25 level...but even if you get 10,000 new backers at that level, that's only $250k, nowhere near enough. And doubling the current amount of backers is insanely optimistic. I'm also really sceptical that asking current people to up their pledges would be enough to make up the difference, but I may be underestimating you guys.

Just come to my mind, can you pledge any amount, and then cancel near the closing date? Given the possibly paper thin margin if this game is to fund, I fear this would be very vulnerable to trolling. For example, someone could just pledge $20k now, then when the total is at $2,012,345 with 30 min remaining, he can just cancel.  Normally, the projects are either wildly successful so this behaviour does not matter, or is small enough that any one person can realistically make up the difference to bring it back up to 100%. But here, even 0.1% is $2,000, which is not something that you can easily come up with in a 30 minutes. Does kickstarter have any policy to protect against this kind of thing?

Yeah there are not many days left and it still needs a lot. Even with more good days like today it would fall short. There is the expectation based on past Kickstarters that the last few days will be huge and that's probably true. But it still needs to get up to $1.6 or 1.7 million before then to have a chance. It's completely up in the air what will happen. I'm glad I don't work at CSE. It must be hella stressful.

You can change your pledge amount at any time before the Kickstarter closes afaik. I don't think there is any kind of protection and there shouldn't be. That's the point of having 30 days and a hard deadline. The pledges only count at the very end.

Camelot Unchained Backer
    DAOC [retired]: R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R5 Healer

• SorninSornin Richmond, BCPosts: 1,133Member

It is because Kicktraq rounds down - it is not inaccurate so much as it is imprecise. Technically, as I write this, there are more like 6.66 days left. As soon as it hit 8:58 AM PDT, which is when there were exactly 7 days left, it showed 6 days being left, because 6.9999... rounds down to 6.

Anyway, tomorrow at 8:58 AM PDT is when it will have 6 days left. It ends Thursday, May 2 at 8:58 AM PDT.

Oh, and I think getting $2M is very doable. It might get close, but I would expect at least another 3,000 backers and many, many existing backers raising their pledges substantially. Watch the last two or three days - they will be big.

• augustgraceaugustgrace Cottonwood, CAPosts: 624Member Uncommon

Wow, I had been blindly trusting kicktraq's minichart number, but you are correct, if it is 6 days left and still $580k to go, then it needs closer to $100k per day instead of the reported $83k per day (which is the correct value if there are 7 days left). I wonder why the inaccuracy?At this stage, I think it won't fund. People are talking about needing more backers at $25 level...but even if you get 10,000 new backers at that level, that's only $250k, nowhere near enough. And doubling the current amount of backers is insanely optimistic. I'm also really sceptical that asking current people to up their pledges would be enough to make up the difference, but I may be underestimating you guys.Just come to my mind, can you pledge any amount, and then cancel near the closing date? Given the possibly paper thin margin if this game is to fund, I fear this would be very vulnerable to trolling. For example, someone could just pledge $20k now, then when the total is at $2,012,345 with 30 min remaining, he can just cancel.  Normally, the projects are either wildly successful so this behaviour does not matter, or is small enough that any one person can realistically make up the difference to bring it back up to 100%. But here, even 0.1% is $2,000, which is not something that you can easily come up with in a 30 minutes. Does kickstarter have any policy to protect against this kind of thing?

You can cancel or change your pledge any time up until the end.  I suspect that a number of those big tier pledges may be troll pledges.  I also suspect  a few genuine backers may start to back out of high pledges as the end nears.

I think the current backers are probably mostly tapped out at this point.  They need to attract quite a few new backers for this to succeed.

• Really glad to see the funding going up. At the end there's typically a mad rush of pledges, but if people keep pledging like this until then, hopefully when the mad rush comes, it'll be enough to tip it over the 2m.
  • EasymodeXEasymodeX No, VAPosts: 149Member

The "last 2 day spike" is about 75% of the first day pledges based on other games.  However, CU has had higher $ per backer than other games.  In addition, there are several signs that backers have already upped a significant amount.

CU needs about 570k more to fun.  450k is the "75% of first day" mark.  Dropping that a bit to account for the already high $ per backer, can assume a spike of ~350k in the last 2 days.

CU needs 220k over 4 days to meet the 2m.  That's 55k per day.

Not gonna happen.

Originally posted by EasymodeX

The "last 2 day spike" is about 75% of the first day pledges based on other games.  However, CU has had higher $ per backer than other games.  In addition, there are several signs that backers have already upped a significant amount.

CU needs about 570k more to fun.  450k is the "75% of first day" mark.  Dropping that a bit to account for the already high $ per backer, can assume a spike of ~350k in the last 2 days.

CU needs 220k over 4 days to meet the 2m.  That's 55k per day.

Not gonna happen.

I wouldn't make any assumptions about the amount of the final surge except it will be larger than the average haul per day. As you say this game's Kickstarter is kind of unique both in the high $ per backer and the high total amount it seeks to raise just to fund.

Your guess of $350,000 seems plausible but again we won't know what the exact number is until after the fact. It's just impossible to predict what is going on in the minds of people who haven't even pledged at all yet but might in the last few days or how much people who have already pledged could increase their pledges. We also don't know what tricks Mark has up his sleeve to reach $2 million if it comes close but short in the hours before it ends. Or for that matter whether MMORPG.com anti-CU trolls have pledged large $ amounts that they'll cancel at the end.

I could go up considerably from the tier I have selected currently, but I still need to see more details on RvR, classes, and progression before I'd feel comfortable doing that.

Camelot Unchained Backer

Only a bit over $9,000 halfway through today. I guess the BSC stealth idea wasn't all Mark hoped it would be. Time to add another mountain house tier! Or maybe this might finally be the time to talk about RvR, classes, and progression? Nah let's leave those for 11:30am on May 2.

Camelot Unchained Backer

550k in 5 days
  • qualtoqualto Des Moines, IAPosts: 3Member
    Originally posted by meddyck
    Only a bit over $9,000 halfway through today. I guess the BSC stealth idea wasn't all Mark hoped it would be. Time to add another mountain house tier! Or maybe this might finally be the time to talk about RvR, classes, and progression? Nah let's leave those for 11:30am on May 2.

I agree.  Any word on RvR updates for this RvR game?

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Rohnert Park, CAPosts: 848Member

One troubling sign is the $25 pledge (basically purchasing the game at a reduced price) isn't even selling well. In other KS I have followed, those were the first to go and the KS team had to add more. I'm not sure the KS will fund and even if it does, not many will subscribe...which would kill an RvR game. ;-(

Exactly why I said they should have put more thought into the tiers from beginning. We're extremely top heavy, they needed to make the lower tiers more attractive
  • SuorySuory Colorado City, TXPosts: 90Member

I think MJ has said that one of the reasons of doing the KS was to gauge the interest of gamers to this game. I don't think it is all about the money TBH.

Even if this game does meet the 2mil goal, I really dont think the interest is going to be there for the game by judging the number of backers. If I were MJ, I would be worried about the lack of interest from the "mainsteam" gamers.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko RotterdamPosts: 3,845Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Suory

I think MJ has said that one of the reasons of doing the KS was to gauge the interest of gamers to this game. I don't think it is all about the money TBH.

Even if this game does meet the 2mil goal, I really dont think the interest is going to be there for the game by judging the number of backers. If I were MJ, I would be worried about the lack of interest from the "mainsteam" gamers.

Indeed.

As someone remarked a few posts ago, there's a significant number of "heavy backers" providing the funding in this bid. Which may well be an indication that the game lacks broad support.

If 3 people pledge $700K each, the KS funding target will be reached. But the goal will not have been reached, if the KS campaign is supposed to prove that there's a significant fanbase for the game.

Sure, it's supposed to be a "niche game", but just how small IS this niche that MJ is targeting ?

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Webster, MAPosts: 4,813Member
    Originally posted by Suory

Nah, "mainstream" gamers aren't an issue as they were never the target. Though I agree he should be worried. The niche gamers he's targeting are primarily forum goers of different sites so most of his target audience should be aware of the kickstarter. Also with the budget he has there isn't much room for a great deal of marketing so the kickstarter, his website, and the forums are pretty much the bulk of his advertising means. 

What that means is that he can't realistically expect more than about 10k players and thats just as of now. Its more likely to decrease than increase as development begins and by the time launch eventually happens you are looking at even less players due to the amount of competition that will likely be present with varying business models. 

In the 5 or so years CU will need for development both Rift, TESO, and GW2 will have long been out and had chances to improve and refine their RvR offerings on top of the other content they have. They have both larger teams and larger budgets. 

In the 5 or so years it will take CU to be developed games like The Repopulation will long be out and in the mix as will several other indy and small team RvR MMOs. 

I mean, lets face it... with out much reasonable competition CU has generated very little actual interest. By the time it launches the competition will be well established and offer a great deal more and have had a chance to address bugs and polish. We are talking about a low budget MMO that will be very light on variety targeting a group small group of gamers that are getting targeted by numerous other games several of which have much larger budgets and teams. Mind you the competition will be offering non RvR PvP and PvE on top of the RvR which gives variety and variety my friends is the spice of life. 

Edited to Add: I will give him credit for this though. If he plans on adding a cash shop he may still end up making a ton of cash off of CU. The pledge seems to average out at over $150 per backer lol. He might want to consider skipping the monthly fee and make the game free to play and put in a robust cash shop. That may be the only way to for him to make much money with the game given the level of interest. 

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Nah, "mainstream" gamers aren't an issue as they were never the target. Though I agree he should be worried. The niche gamers he's targeting are primarily forum goers of different sites so most of his target audience should be aware of the kickstarter. Also with the budget he has there isn't much room for a great deal of marketing so the kickstarter, his website, and the forums are pretty much the bulk of his advertising means. 

What that means is that he can't realistically expect more than about 10k players and thats just as of now. Its more likely to decrease than increase as development begins and by the time launch eventually happens you are looking at even less players due to the amount of competition that will likely be present with varying business models. 

In the 5 or so years CU will need for development both Rift, TESO, and GW2 will have long been out and had chances to improve and refine their RvR offerings on top of the other content they have. They have both larger teams and larger budgets. 

In the 5 or so years it will take CU to be developed games like The Repopulation will long be out and in the mix as will several other indy and small team RvR MMOs. 

I mean, lets face it... with out much reasonable competition CU has generated very little actual interest. By the time it launches the competition will be well established and offer a great deal more and have had a chance to address bugs and polish. We are talking about a low budget MMO that will be very light on variety targeting a group small group of gamers that are getting targeted by numerous other games several of which have much larger budgets and teams. Mind you the competition will be offering non RvR PvP and PvE on top of the RvR which gives variety and variety my friends is the spice of life. 

Edited to Add: I will give him credit for this though. If he plans on adding a cash shop he may still end up making a ton of cash off of CU. The pledge seems to average out at over $1,500 per backer lol. He might want to consider skipping the monthly fee and make the game free to play and put in a robust cash shop. That may be the only way to for him to make much money with the game given the level of interest. 

There is strong resistance among many gamers to Kickstarter. That means there will be thousands of people who will buy and play the game should it get made who didn't donate. I don't know if it will be the 50,000 Mark wants but 20,000 to 30,000 seems completely realistic. Probably much more than that at first just from people who are curious to play the newest game.

The game isn't going to take 5 years. There are no PVE quests with cut scenes with voice overs to do. There is only a limited number of zones to create. It's scheduled to be out December 2015, over 2 1/2 years from now. That seems achievable give or take 6 months.

Rift and GW 2? LOL! TESO certainly appeals to much of the same player base but by the time CU comes out players may already have gotten bored of TESO. Hell if it follow the pattern of recent RvR games, they'll be bored of TESO by the end of THIS year.

You need to get a new calculator. The game is averaging around $154/backer not $1,500.

Camelot Unchained Backer

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Webster, MAPosts: 4,813Member
    Originally posted by meddyck
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Edited to Add: I will give him credit for this though. If he plans on adding a cash shop he may still end up making a ton of cash off of CU. The pledge seems to average out at over $1,500 per backer lol. He might want to consider skipping the monthly fee and make the game free to play and put in a robust cash shop. That may be the only way to for him to make much money with the game given the level of interest. 

There is strong resistance among many gamers to Kickstarter. That means there will be thousands of people who will buy and play the game should it get made who didn't donate. I don't know if it will be the 50,000 Mark wants but 20,000 to 30,000 seems completely realistic. Probably much more than that at first just from people who are curious to play the newest game.

The game isn't going to take 5 years. There are no PVE quests with cut scenes with voice overs to do. There is only a limited number of zones to create. It's scheduled to be out December 2015, over 2 1/2 years from now. That seems achievable give or take 6 months.

Rift and GW 2? LOL! TESO certainly appeals to much of the same player base but by the time CU comes out players may already have gotten bored of TESO. Hell if it follow the pattern of recent RvR games, they'll be bored of TESO by the end of THIS year.

You need to get a new calculator. The game is averaging around $154/backer not $1,500.

My bad, hit an extra 0 when averaging earlier and didn't care enough to double check. You are correct, $154 per backer. I will edit my post, thank you. 

Laugh all you want about the rest but it is the reality of it. You have main stream games and niche games that CU is going to be competing with all look to be offering more variety for the players. 

As far as players being bored of TESO by the end of the year, you are actually pretty correct. The problem is that it isn't the RvR fans that will get bored. Its TES fans that will leave within a month or so. The game actually seems to have lasting appeal for RvR and mainly DAoC fans. In any case as I said they will have around 5 years of content development and polish on these games by the time CU releases. These games of today will be entirely different games by then. Look at WoW at launch and WoW now. A lot can change. This again isn't counting the numerous indy devs and small developers that CU will have to compete with in 5 years time. 

But everyone is allowed an opinion and that includes both you and I. Before we get to the rest CU has to pass the first hurdle, which is getting funded and it isn't doing to good on that front.