Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Aventurine making returning players buy the game AGAIN!

Comments

• TofkeTofke Member UncommonPosts: 342

Kinda funny people are comparing it to GW1->GW2, EQ1->EQ2 are you guys really that deluded? They failed with the original then decide to remake it (no not build a new game), and you people go "Oh yes, screw us over please".

No wonder every year the industry gets worse to its customers...

Square Enix did even more then Aventurine with their overhaul and had the decency and common logic to not let the customers pay for their failure.

• SupportPlayerMMSupportPlayerMM Member Posts: 310
    Originally posted by tofke

Kinda funny people are comparing it to GW1->GW2, EQ1->EQ2 are you guys really that deluded? They failed with the original then decide to remake it (no not build a new game), and you people go "Oh yes, screw us over please".

Square Enix did even more then Aventurine with their overhaul and had the decency and common logic to not let the customers pay for their failure.

the population is packed so yeah guess it's I who is dilutted and not the handful of people in this thread refusing to buy.

• jfoytekjfoytek Member CommonPosts: 150
    Originally posted by SupportPlayerMM
    Originally posted by xm522

I think many of you are either being ass holes, or are actually on the slow side.

what AV did was as follow, they used the money that subscribers provided, where that money was supposed to go into maintaining and upgrading the world. they then saw fit to create a new game using this money while at the same time shutting down the old game and charging the same people who funded the development of the new game a full box price.

1. you pay a subscription fee, you expect a game to stay open if it can, or shut down if it cant maintain itself.

2. game not only maintained itself but it allowed the developers to do another project on the side. (work that could have gone to the original?)

3. the game you were playing was shut down, and if you want to play this new shiny version of a game you helped support then you have to pay.

this can be analogous to WoW vanilla being open for 1 year, then shutting down and releasing burning crusade and you have to pay full price for it.

i wouldnt see what they are doing as wrong if the orginal DF stayed open, but they are foribly shutting the game down... lets also remember that expansions are optional. i would hate it if i couldnt play GW2 anymore because i had to buy the new expansion id not i'm not allowed to play.

for all of you calling the OP a whiner... you need to reflect on what you are saying.

I'm 100% confident AV had a small enough population to close whenever they wanted if SWG did, Just because they managed to put a new game out instead of packing up shop like other MMO's did doesn't mean it's an out right scam, within the terms of service agreement it clearly states a MMO can go away at anytime it see's fit, DF1 had some MAJOR flaws and the entire world was destroyed by exploits and hacking of the early players. The new game plays different with some similarities and most importantly it's being primed to maintain players so stop the BS. I say this as someone who paid full price for both games , I have no regrets, then again I'm an adult with a job and treat gaming as an enterainment or hobby and much like Softball or batting cages or anything I do IRL I gotta pay money each time I do it or for every league and so forth... I go out and eat with family/friends... bills are 30-200$ easy so I rationalize it that way. Bet the OP isn't posting threads to Burger King about 10 dollar value meals when 30 pounds of beef cost the same much and he could make 120 quarter pounders.

Must be nice to have so much money to throw around, not all of us are so lucky and no I dont go to Burger King or just about any fast food resturant these days as there prices are absurd!  I would be willing to fork out 15 dollars for the sub but 40 dollars to buy the game isnt possible!  Bills are more important things to pay....  However I shouldnt have to pay 40 dollars as I already purchased the rights to play darkfall when they released it the first time....

[mod edit]

UO,Shadowbane,SWG,Darkfall,MO,Wurm Online,Secretworld,GW,GW2,PotBS,LotR,Atlantica Online,WWII Online,WoT,Battlestar Galactica,Planetside2,Perpetuum,Fallen Earth,Runescape,WoW,Eve,Xsylon,Dragon Prophet, Salem

• TofkeTofke Member UncommonPosts: 342
    Originally posted by tofke

the population is packed so yeah guess it's I who is dilutted and not the handful of people in this thread refusing to buy.

And how does this make any sense to me saying people comparing it to GW1->GW2 are deluded. I don't care about your population that was nowhere near my point.

People are accepting from 'Vaporware' Aventurine who needed a decade to finish their game, that this Darkfall is to be treated as a whole new game as in the sense of GW1&GW2? So suddenly from a decade they can produce it in a year or so... Sure :p It's still Darkfall, just them cleaning up the mess with this version.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Hotjazz
    Originally posted by Yamota

New Product is released and AV says sorry this is a new game you must pay us again???  Hold the phone we bought the first version of Dark Fall?  Whats to say you wont shut this one down in another year and make us buy the third version etc... etc....

***I refuse to buy the new version and will not return until they figure out the mistake they are making***

I agree. They say it is a new game but it is not. It is a reskinned and optimized version of the old Darkfall and is in no way worth buying again.

I agree

I bought civilization and sim city years ago, but still they wanted me to pay for Civ 2, civ 3, civ 4 and civ 5. It was the same with the sim series, but this time I refused to buy the last one.

I`m planning to send them an e-mail to claim the games for free, because it`s clearly just a reskinned version of the others.

Criminals and hoodlums, that`s what all of them are.

Well, I dont know about the games you listed, but if any game is a reskinned and repackages version of the same game then I wont be buying it. I was not claiming that Darkfall was the only one.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Caldrin

Its a new game.. plus you had the best part of a year to pre-order it at the price of the frist months sub if you already owned Darkfall.

They have not made any mistakes as it is a new game.. I mean did you get a GW2 for free if you owned GW?

Did you get half lfie 2 for free if you owned half life... I better not even mention the fifa games and cod games released every year..

But your also maknig no mistakes by not buying it... DF was a better game than this.

None of these games you mentioned were shut down in order to make a sequel. I dont play DF and dont need DFUW but i agree with OP. If they shut down the first game they have to give the sequel to the original owners, and sell it to new players (everyone will still pay the sub anyways). Otherwise they should have had both games running online if they planned to charge again for the second game. so people who wanted to stay in the first game would still pay its subscription but be happy with their game of choice.

a good example of this? FFXIV, first owners get the second game for free.

I think many of you are either being ass holes, or are actually on the slow side.

what AV did was as follow, they used the money that subscribers provided, where that money was supposed to go into maintaining and upgrading the world. they then saw fit to create a new game using this money while at the same time shutting down the old game and charging the same people who funded the development of the new game a full box price.

1. you pay a subscription fee, you expect a game to stay open if it can, or shut down if it cant maintain itself.

2. game not only maintained itself but it allowed the developers to do another project on the side. (work that could have gone to the original?)

3. the game you were playing was shut down, and if you want to play this new shiny version of a game you helped support then you have to pay.

this can be analogous to WoW vanilla being open for 1 year, then shutting down and releasing burning crusade and you have to pay full price for it.

i wouldnt see what they are doing as wrong if the orginal DF stayed open, but they are foribly shutting the game down... lets also remember that expansions are optional. i would hate it if i couldnt play GW2 anymore because i had to buy the new expansion id not i'm not allowed to play.

for all of you calling the OP a whiner... you need to reflect on what you are saying.

^ This guy has hit the nail on the head!

UO,Shadowbane,SWG,Darkfall,MO,Wurm Online,Secretworld,GW,GW2,PotBS,LotR,Atlantica Online,WWII Online,WoT,Battlestar Galactica,Planetside2,Perpetuum,Fallen Earth,Runescape,WoW,Eve,Xsylon,Dragon Prophet, Salem

• xm522xm522 Member UncommonPosts: 117

I'm 100% confident AV had a small enough population to close whenever they wanted if SWG did, Just because they managed to put a new game out instead of packing up shop like other MMO's did doesn't mean it's an out right scam, within the terms of service agreement it clearly states a MMO can go away at anytime it see's fit, DF1 had some MAJOR flaws and the entire world was destroyed by exploits and hacking of the early players. The new game plays different with some similarities and most importantly it's being primed to maintain players so stop the BS. I say this as someone who paid full price for both games , I have no regrets, then again I'm an adult with a job and treat gaming as an enterainment or hobby and much like Softball or batting cages or anything I do IRL I gotta pay money each time I do it or for every league and so forth... I go out and eat with family/friends... bills are 30-200$ easy so I rationalize it that way. Bet the OP isn't posting threads to Burger King about 10 dollar value meals when 30 pounds of beef cost the same much and he could make 120 quarter pounders.

I'm only going to argue this one last time, i know people are hard headed on the internet and they rather 'write' to the death rather than rationalize.

you can have all the money in the world, but a scam is a scam. you said it yourself, the game had major flaws and was riddled with exploits and hacking. you and other DF subscribers were paying the company a monthly fee so that they could improve the game you bought. this company then uses the money which should have been going to improve your prodct and creates a new product out of this. usually most greedy business charge for this products, but they are usually expansions. other companies release this product as a whole new gamebut they still keep support open for the old game (until it dies).

people can do what they want with their money. my girlfriend and I spend around $200 a week just on dates. but I would not pay for a plate of food and only get half my order with a note from the cheff saying he improved the dish mid way but that i would have to pay full price since its a totally new thing. (yes i know the analogy is weird, but it may just work).

P.S. - You're not the only adult around here (but I'm 21 so i'm like in the middle ground between being a big kid and an adult)

• GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605
    Originally posted by jfoytek
    Exactly a limited time offer what kind of bull crap is that???  Do it right and give it to every returning player, they already bought the right to play darkfall when they bought darkfall the first time!
    Would you like a free foot massage and cookies aswell?

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

The way I see it, you only bought and subscribed to "Darkfall", not "Darkfall: Unholy Wars". They are 2 different products, and if you tolerate buying expansion packs which are also funded by your subscription, then I fail to see why you're crying about it now. The game you originally subscribed to has been terminated. That sucks, but deal with it. You subscribed for a service, services do end at some point.

On the subject of AV being unethical about this, you won't have any argument with me. I call this just as unethical as paid expansion packs in a P2P game. Unless of course someone comes along and prove that DF:UW was funded independently from your subs.

• CharlizdCharlizd Member UncommonPosts: 923

Like others had said tho it is not even worth the $15 i paid back in pre-rder times, couldn't even try beta because of there fuck up on there end.

I think it is harsh that they are charging for a supposed new game, essentially it is just liek the old game with less features, a downright retarded UI and the same old shonky Dev team. Avoid at all cost.

Andrew "Charlizd" Phippen | Lead World Builder | The Saga of Lucimia MMORPG
    Originally posted by KhinRunite

The way I see it, you only bought and subscribed to "Darkfall", not "Darkfall: Unholy Wars". They are 2 different products, and if you tolerate buying expansion packs which are also funded by your subscription, then I fail to see why you're crying about it now. The game you originally subscribed to has been terminated. That sucks, but deal with it. You subscribed for a service, services do end at some point.

On the subject of AV being unethical about this, you won't have any argument with me. I call this just as unethical as paid expansion packs in a P2P game. Unless of course someone comes along and prove that DF:UW was funded independently from your subs.

But they are not two different products!!!!  Darkfall was taken offline because they couldnt patch all the added content to it they had to completely rework the code, they reworked the said game code, still said game with reworked code, still same races, still same map, with the same continents, still the same name of the game DARKFALL  this is not a different product or game its the same game, the same development project....  Its not an expansion its Darkfall 2.0

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Guys you can call me a whiner if you wish you can say I am crying!

Facts are I played Darkfall from early 2009 till it shut down I loved the game....

I payed retail price for the original game and my month subs to have the game I loved shut down, the rug pulled out from under me!

I have waited for the game to release patiently, eager and ready to resub!

BUT I WILL NOT BUY THE GAME TWICE.....  You can call it a new game but its not!!!  Its the same game the dev's were trying to make the first time, the re-worked it, changed the graphics but its DARKFALL... 

AND

I would likely love it BUT

I WILL NOT BUY A GAME TWICE.... its the principal of the deal !!!  Where is AV's business ethics, this is wrong a blind man could see it!!!

If you played Darkfall until the it shutdown then you would have known about the pre-order offer as it was available before the servers shut down.. You would have known from E-mails they sent out, from in game chat, from voice chat with you clan in game.. from here on their website.. whereever really..

This was also not the game the devs where trying to make the first time.. it is totally different to what darkfall was infact it played different in nearly every way.. it is in no way darkfall.. believe me thats why im not playing the game.. it sucks..

• sodade21sodade21 Member UncommonPosts: 349

I thought it would be given to old customers for the price of a sub. I didn't knew that was a limited offer for pre ordering...

They should keep that offer for ever for the old customers. thats my opinion. after all with all these fails I Wouldn't preorder even if I knew about that  limited offer. I want first to see how it goes for a couple of weeks or months.

So if that offer won't occour again, i will not intend to touch it... 40 euro? plus the highest price subscription? No Thanks!

And the game is Not Really New.. Its exactly the same with some new twists that could be made on the "old" game as well.

And that was initialy their intend too and the changed their mind at the last minute for the money gain in mind. 

If someone doesn't know The game VERY VERY well will ashume that it is the EXACTLY the same game. Can you tell the same for GW1 and GW2? I don't Think so. 

Bottom line is they have already very small playerbase , they cannot produce well/fast fixes and new content. (they add a warhulk and they say its a new content...) and they want to milk that cow till it bleeds Dry!

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987

... still same races, still same map, ...

If you played the game you'd know this is not true (if you know that than you're simply lieing to support your point).

Map is redesigned and a lot of it has changed (yes a lot of it is the same too, with better graphics only) . Races have new designs. There's also new combat system, new armor sets, new items and redesigned items and their icons, new interface, new leveling system, new safe zones, new skills and abilities, crafting has changed and is new in many ways, and probably more I don't have at the top of my head atm.

And more of new, as well as old recycled/redesigned content, ison the way. All in all there's a lot of new which makes the game play and feel very much like a new game. And I'm saying this as an old Darkfall veteran who enjoed old DF and is also enjoying DF:UW. Why I'm enjoying? Because the core idd stayed the same (full loot open world pve world with pvp at every step).

Originally posted by StarI

... still same races, still same map, ...

Because the core idd stayed the same (full loot open world pve world with pvp at every step).

Well except in the safe zones of course where there is no PVP at all hehe..

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

Well I think the veteran players just got played by the devs.

The fanboys really have Stockholm Syndrome, they can't even see it  /sigh.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

I choose not to live in or near safe zone so it's like they are non existant (bar crafting untill cities get built). Next.

• JIUBHUNNY420JIUBHUNNY420 Member Posts: 131

Yes, because everyone who buys Madden Football 2012 was paying for development of Madden 2013, so they should get the sequel for free.

Please tell me how this logic makes any sense? Its not Darkfall, its Darkfall 2: Unholy Wars. I assume because people dont see the 2 in the title they dont believe it, well how about some first hand evidence to shut these whiners up?

How is This Darkfall

The same as Unholy Wars

If you honestly dont see whats worth paying the box price for in the second video you arent equipped to handle judging MMO's objectivley and should be banned from using the internets until you do.

The fact that they gave any time at all to get the game for free if you bought the first one should be praised, not looked down upon.

I would like to see somone beat this post, seriously please someone try, im really bored tonight and could use the debate.

J-Hun Lookin to Creep Yall!

I choose not to live in or near safe zone so it's like they are non existant (bar crafting untill cities get built). Next.

Why would you craft in a player city when you can craft in a 100% safe zone.. that does not make sense..

Why would you craft in a player city when you can craft in a 100% safe zone.. that does not make sense..

Dunno, maybe to save time running to a safe zone?

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245
    Originally posted by udon
    Originally posted by Larislia

Uh maybe because this is a new game?

They even sent out emails multiple times advertising the free client cost to old DF1 players.. It's not like you didn't get the chance

Yep just like FFXIV Reborn is a "new" game.  I hold nothing against this game or it's players but this practice of calling a timeout when you release a bad game and charging people to buy what is in affect the game that should have been released in the first place needs to back fire on Developers.  For the health of the industry this kind of thing needs to clearnly be seen as not a viable stratagy for companies to pursure.

DF:UW is not what the origional game should have been.. infact its probally as far away from the image of what they wanted darkfall to be as you can get without becoming a themepark game..

FFXIV reborn is not a new game, its a company fixing a massive massive horrible mess that FFXIV was.. Darkfall was a fulyl working MMORPG that was running for years. There is a big difference between the 2.

I am not sure why i am here defending AV as i think DF:UW is a shambles of a dumbed down MMORPG.

Darkfall was mainly developed by norwegians but few years back they left and game was re build by greeks and now we have a similar game just re-released as DFUW  dumb down version its greeks fault:P

• sodade21sodade21 Member UncommonPosts: 349
    Originally posted by GroovyFlower
    Originally posted by udon
    Originally posted by Larislia

Uh maybe because this is a new game?

They even sent out emails multiple times advertising the free client cost to old DF1 players.. It's not like you didn't get the chance

Yep just like FFXIV Reborn is a "new" game.  I hold nothing against this game or it's players but this practice of calling a timeout when you release a bad game and charging people to buy what is in affect the game that should have been released in the first place needs to back fire on Developers.  For the health of the industry this kind of thing needs to clearnly be seen as not a viable stratagy for companies to pursure.

DF:UW is not what the origional game should have been.. infact its probally as far away from the image of what they wanted darkfall to be as you can get without becoming a themepark game..

FFXIV reborn is not a new game, its a company fixing a massive massive horrible mess that FFXIV was.. Darkfall was a fulyl working MMORPG that was running for years. There is a big difference between the 2.

I am not sure why i am here defending AV as i think DF:UW is a shambles of a dumbed down MMORPG.

Darkfall was mainly developed by norwegians but few years back they left and game was re build by greeks and now we have a similar game just re-released as DFUW  dumb down version its greeks fault:P

The Game was created by a team including Greeks and norwegians since the start... they just moved from the norway studios to Greece so they can take a goverment paycheck for new companies. The Team is the same mix more or less with the leading person being a Greek (Tasos)

• GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605

Wow OP you must feel real dumb right now. Having played DF1 for so long and not even noticing UW was on sale for returning players for several months before release.

Sucks to be u, br0.

• xzyaxxzyax Member Posts: 2,459

I can see both sides of this debate, but one thing that is very misleading is this:

Aventurine is the first company to do what they did with shutting down DarkFall 1 and then opening up DarkFall: UnHoly Wars.

Every other MMO that started up a sequel kept the original running as well.

Everquest 1 --- kept running (and still is) when Everquest 2 was released. (Everquest Next is coming out soon)

Asheran's Call --- kept running (and still is) when Ashern's Call 2 was released. 

• Side Note on AC2:  "Asheron's Call 2 failed to achieve enough subscribers to be viable and was shut down in December 2005. There are currently no plans to release the source code.[3] On December 13, 2012, Turbine announced that they were relaunching the game starting with a beta for all subscribers of Asheron's Call."  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asheron's_Call_2:_Fallen_Kings

Guild Wars --- kept running (and still is) when Guild Wars 2 was released.

Final Fantasy XI --- kept running (and still is) when Final Fantasy XIV was released.

• Side Note on FFXIV relaunch which will be provided at no cost to original purchasers:  "The relaunch will carry over the original game's setting, lore and intended story, but incorporate a new client, graphics engine, server and data structures, a revamped interface, redesigned maps, more gameplay variations and additional story content." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XIV

Planetside --- kept running (and still is) when Planetside 2 was released.

I might be missing some, but those are the ones I remember (and played most of them).  

So, those that are arguing how this is no big deal, it's been done before.  

Nope.  It hasn't ever been done before in the MMO genre.  If anyone can find an instance where it has been done, post it in this thread and I will update this post.  image