Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG with Interesting Quests and Fast Combat?

YefoYefo Member Posts: 4

I've never been a fan of MMORPGs... but I really want to be.  In theory, they always sound super fun: leveling up a character, getting sweet loot, playing with friend, etc.  Then I start playing and just wind up bored.

I was hoping you guys could help me find an MMO that I enjoy.  First, here are the features I care about in order...

1.  Quests more exciting than "collect x of y" and "kill z of q"

2.  Faster paced combat.

3.  Character build diversity

4.  Minimal grinding

5.  Not a "Pay to Win" pricing model.  Honestly, I'd much rather pay a one time fee or even a subscription than play a F2P game that essentially requires you to make nonstop microtransactions to progress through the game.

6. Good graphics.  This is actually a fairly minor concern, but if the above aspects are lacking, the game at least better have impressive graphics :)

Here are a few MMOs I have played and my thoughts on them.

- Warhammer Online: This is actually one of my favorite MMOs that I have played... but still only managed to keep my attention for about 30 levels worth.  It turned into a grind for me around level 30 or so, and quests were usually pretty terrible (except for group event quests)

- Rift:  Played on free weekend and leveled up quite a few classes.  Combat wasn't too bad, and the Rift events were fun, but quality quests and story were nearly nonexistant

- Lord of the Rings Online: Maybe I just didn't give this game a fair chance, but I didn't even make it through the tutorial.  Really, a "time meter" for picking up a satchel off the ground?  Pretty archaic game mechanic, I would argue.  Also, the combat seemed like it was going to be frustratingly boring.

Anyway, that was probably more information than anybody wanted to know.  Any suggestions for an MMO that might be able to draw me in?

Comments

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    hm - gw2?
  • pantheronpantheron Member UncommonPosts: 256
    if grinding bothers you, then you're in the wrong Genre. GW2 is probably your best bet though. 

I play MMOs for the Forum PVP

• YefoYefo Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by Benedikt
    hm - gw2?

Perhaps. I haven't got a chance to try it yet... It looks interesting. How are the quests? The Mesmer sounds cool to me...

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by Yefo
    hm - gw2?

Perhaps. I haven't got a chance to try it yet... It looks interesting. How are the quests? The Mesmer sounds cool to me...

Try Star Wars the Old Republic

The Secret World

Guild Wars 2.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    The secret world. It has a bunch of original quests, total freedom on builds and combat is decent. Its b2p now.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
    Originally posted by Shaigh
    The secret world. It has a bunch of original quests, total freedom on builds and combat is decent. Its b2p now.

i agree with what you wrote, but i didnt suggested it, since combat is quite slow (imo)

hm - gw2?

i didnt played mesmer outside of beta and there it was ... strange. it probably can be quite fun, but i didnt really liked the illusions debuffs you are trying to keep on enemy if i remember correctly

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    hm - gw2?

i didnt played mesmer outside of beta and there it was ... strange. it probably can be quite fun, but i didnt really liked the illusions debuffs you are trying to keep on enemy if i remember correctly

Game has changed since beta - you should never judge a game 6 months old on a beta test. They all change by then.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by pantheron
    if grinding bothers you, then you're in the wrong Genre. GW2 is probably your best bet though. 

I found GW2' hides the grind well but it's still there.  Having said that GW2 and TSW are both probably your best bet with TSW's combat being a bit slower paced than GW2.  Although the term "floaty" which I heard somewhere else does apply to GW2's combat IMO.

You can't beat the character build divesity of TSW though.

• KilmarKilmar Member UncommonPosts: 844

TSW has the bests quests I've ever seen in MMOs so far. I liked the combat too. But it has only around 1 month of content for someone who plays a lot.

On the other side I consider GW2 as the worst MMO I ever played.

Originally posted by botrytis
    hm - gw2?

Game has changed since beta - you should never judge a game 6 months old on a beta test. They all change by then.

i agree - thats why i wrote i didnt play it outside of beta :)

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    Originally posted by Kilmar

TSW has the bests quests I've ever seen in MMOs so far. I liked the combat too. But it has only around 1 month of content for someone who plays a lot.

On the other side I consider GW2 as the worst MMO I ever played.

Can you elaborate on why GW2 is the worst MMO you ever played?  It might help the OP decide.

Personally, i suggest GW2.  Fast combat; the quests are more diverse than many other MMO's; graphics are nice; jumping puzzles are a pleasant diversion;  crafting at it's end (400) has gear you will actually use for a while - at least I am;  explorable, with rewards for it;  get in a good guild, makes it more fun with guild challenges.  Just off the top of my head :)  good luck op!

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633
    I would try GW2. Its not my kind of game, but it is for some people and based on your interests it looks like it would fit you well. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Tsw sounds about right, find myself recommending that game a lot recently. Imo has the most interesting and engaging quests you will find in an mmo. Combat is actiony(not a word I know) and it doesn't feel grindy at all. Right now I'm all about gw2 but the quests/hearts and zone clearing can feel very grindy after a while and the story plays a back seat in a city bus and lacks interest/intrigue though gives a lot for a completionist to do. Combat in gw2 is pretty dam good though as long as your not stuck on the trinity ;)
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    For what you are looking for, then definitely GW2 or TSW.  I'm personally not a fan of TSW, though at least it's B2P and since I do have a copy and if I ever get the urge (even though unlikely), I could still fire it up and start playing again.  Tera maybe, though it does have pretty much the standard quest grind to it.  Some people look past that due to the combat.  I did as well for a while, but the kill X or gather Y quests did get old after a while.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

Thanks, I've been sufficiently convinced. GW2 is currently purchased/downloading!

TSW's quests look pretty awesome, but I thik GW won because I'm not a huge fan TSW's setting.  The post-apocalyptic, zombie-infested world is kind of a turn off for me.  Also, whether it is true or not, the reviews of TSW all made the combat look extremely slow.

Or rather, it would be downloading, if it wasn't for this installer getting a connection error (when my internet connection is just fine)... 

Edit:  Solution was to redownload the installer I guess.  Somehow my first installer was non-functioning... Strange.

• KilmarKilmar Member UncommonPosts: 844

Thanks, I've been sufficiently convinced. GW2 is currently purchased/downloading!

TSW's quests look pretty awesome, but I thik GW won because I'm not a huge fan TSW's setting.  The post-apocalyptic, zombie-infested world is kind of a turn off for me.  Also, whether it is true or not, the reviews of TSW all made the combat look extremely slow.

Its your decision, that's ok. But I wanted to correct you, TSW is not about a post-apocalyptic scenario. In the world of TSW, all stories of monsters and secret societes are true.

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    hm - gw2?

This.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    GW2 is a good one. Have you looked at Asheron's Call?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Try Vendetta Online... It's a minimal (~300 meg) download with a free 8 hour bank of trial time, so you don't have much to lose.

The quests in VO are actually called "missions"... If you actually use all 8 hours of your trial there's a good chance you'll have played at least one I wrote through the PCC, so if you find yourself bored at least you'll know who to complain to.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• SnakexSnakex Member UncommonPosts: 317

I've never been a fan of MMORPGs... but I really want to be.  In theory, they always sound super fun: leveling up a character, getting sweet loot, playing with friend, etc.  Then I start playing and just wind up bored.

I was hoping you guys could help me find an MMO that I enjoy.  First, here are the features I care about in order...

1.  Quests more exciting than "collect x of y" and "kill z of q"

2.  Faster paced combat.

3.  Character build diversity

4.  Minimal grinding

5.  Not a "Pay to Win" pricing model.  Honestly, I'd much rather pay a one time fee or even a subscription than play a F2P game that essentially requires you to make nonstop microtransactions to progress through the game.

6. Good graphics.  This is actually a fairly minor concern, but if the above aspects are lacking, the game at least better have impressive graphics :)

Here are a few MMOs I have played and my thoughts on them.

- Warhammer Online: This is actually one of my favorite MMOs that I have played... but still only managed to keep my attention for about 30 levels worth.  It turned into a grind for me around level 30 or so, and quests were usually pretty terrible (except for group event quests)

- Rift:  Played on free weekend and leveled up quite a few classes.  Combat wasn't too bad, and the Rift events were fun, but quality quests and story were nearly nonexistant

- Lord of the Rings Online: Maybe I just didn't give this game a fair chance, but I didn't even make it through the tutorial.  Really, a "time meter" for picking up a satchel off the ground?  Pretty archaic game mechanic, I would argue.  Also, the combat seemed like it was going to be frustratingly boring.

Anyway, that was probably more information than anybody wanted to know.  Any suggestions for an MMO that might be able to draw me in?

APB: Reloaded- Everything you want, but no quests. Fight Clubs and Missions that are all PvP. F2p

Defiance- Also a lot you want but the customization is somewhat limited. Some quests are linked with the Episodes for the show. There are several types of missions. PvP, Dungeons and good stuff like that, no sub. b2p

Secret World, but combat is weak.

and the final answer, the best one i believe.

Darkfall: Unholy Wars- Because its awsome. If you get into the game deep enough. you will see what i mean.